A HEAD. WITH FEET. THAT’S IT.

As ushe, when Brinke G. writes in with an image,e the email title always becomes the title of the posting. This time, the Cal Academy inspired him with the head-only Elephantulus pilicaudus.

Comments

1. it’s so cute, it looks “smart” somehow!

2. Fird Birfle says:

SqUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    OMGPoneeees!!!!!11111!!!!!!……………………..

(etc.)

3. Fird Birfle says:

GAH due to my exuberant use of the VowelsRUs software, I have been
    *detained* ……

(sits in corner, pouting immaturely)

4. As the saying goes: if the shrew sits, share it.

5. A Haiku:

Elephantulus
    Tiny mouse extendo schnoz
    pilicaudus

6. I’d like a shot at taming that shrew

7. And a tail. There’s a significant tail there.

8. Ah, the Karoo Rock elephant shrew.

9. WHAT ABOUT THE SCHNOZZ?

10. And it has a Tailio!! Mustn’t forget the tailio.

Oh, and a nosicle. And it’s adorabobble.

11. Artichoke? :D

12. Let’s not forget the BEF. And the adorabuhl smile!

13. *snerk*

14. After reading these comments, all I can hear in my head is my granddaughter singing Head Shoulders Knees and Toes (Knees and Toes.) Ya’ll are welcome for today’s earworm.

15. “BEF” good one R.

He needs teeny little boots for the winter.

16. Yep, I was thinking the same thing, me.

17. Needs a teeny pair of wire rimmed glasses to complete the picture.

18. We all live in a yellow submarine….

19. Come on! Its first name is ELEPHANTULUS??? You must be kidding me, or the guys that give official scientific names to redonkulous creatures have the greatest sense of humor in the entire universe :)

20. Alice Shortcake says:

I have to assume that some of this little critter’s internal organs must be located in it’s skull. There is simply no room for them in that tiny body!

21. Yes, but where does the head leave off the the body begin?

22. I am surprised the little thing can even hold its head up with the weight of its scientific name – longer and bigger than he is.

23. I meant “where does the head leave off and the body begin.” It’s been a long day.

24. Physicists must love this little beastie.

25. It looks like a mouse drawn by a 3 or 4 year old :lol:

26. Ha! I LOVE EXTENDO SCHNOZZ!! How can he eat with such a teensy mouf?

27. Show-off!

28. Great, competing earworms! Between you and kar, I can’t hear my radio anymore!

29. And a proper tweed vest with a pocket watch, which he always forgets to wind, so more often than not, he’s late for tea.

30. NormallyLurksOnly says:

Scientists get oddly playful when it comes to naming things and have their little jokes. The best one ever is the name for the common raccoon: Procyon lotor, which translates as “before dog, the washer”. Think about it. And of course, there is the louse Strigiphilus garylarsoni named after cartoonist Gary Larson. Mr. Larson considers it a singular honor. A current favorite right now is Vampyroteuthis infernalis, which is “vampire squid from Hell” popular due to its appearance in several recdent books about deep sea creatures. Contrary to its name, it is assumed to be an inoffensive little beastie.

31. NLO, now my knowledge has expanded – or my brain has exploded. Or both. Thanks! :)

32. How can it walk on those prosh spindly legs????

33. Fird Birfle says:

ABSOLUTELY agree with you BOTH, to the elebentieth degree!!!!

34. Fird Birfle says:

Not that he told ME of !!! *giggle*

No, actually, that sounds good. Lemme get some dip for it.

35. fish eye no miko says:

I’m guessing it has to do with it’s long nosicle…

36. Bet he bounces real nice. Bounce bounce bounce.

37. Are we quite sure that is not a beak?

38. They’re sooo teeny tiny! I wanna nibble them.

39. Lewis n' Clark says:

I recently heard that some newly-found bird? insect? was named after Beyonce.

40. I love Elephant Shrews SOHARD!

41. Fird Birfle says:

*slight but delighted giggle*

42. Fird Birfle says:

nice “point”, there….so to speak …

43. Actually, this little guy is the elephant’s closest living relative!

44. NormallyLurksOnly says:

Scaptia beyonceae, first observed in the same year Beyonce was born, sitting in a collection until officially described the second week of January of this year. A small Austrailian horse fly, it’s “‘pretty bootylicious’ with its golden backside.” Seemingly very rare as of 2010, one individual claims to have been bitten by what the locals call the “gold bum fly”.

45. I’m not going to let NormallyLurksOnly have all the taxonomic fun.

A HEAD WITH FINS, THAT’S IT! Ladies and gents, I give you Mola mola, the (enormous) fish so nice, they named it twice.

Apparently, there was research recently published that these guys like to show up where seabirds are hanging around, and show off their delicious parasites. “Hey, Albatross! You look like an annelid man to me! You want an annelid? I got the hookup!”

Nota bene: Not actually a very cute animal, but their fry look like a crayon drawing of the sun made by a four-year-old. That counts for something, doesn’t it?

46. That is HYOOOJ!

47. nicefrenchgurl says:

OMLG it reminds me of these felt pens we had back in school
    the white cat was the eraser

48. Charlotte/Lily says:

It’s the tiny, but looong nose, and whiskers!

Makes me think the little bean looks smart too!

49. It jumps! sprooooinggggg

50. Oh em squee! Elephant shrew! My wife and I have daft in-jokes about these creatures all the time, and they’re my absolute favourite!! Yay!

51. joools in PDX says:

YES! I thought of the mola mola, also also!! They are truly awesome. But not in the same cuteness class as this tiny dude.

52. fresh ball of nutmeg, complete with a string to hang it by ;)