So Glad You Asked!

Why do dogs chase their tails?

Well you see, realistically, they have self image issues which also accounts for their lack of appreciation for mirrors. Philosophically, it could of course be a question of ethics, but by nature, dogs are conspicuous in their absence of moral reason, or any other kind of reason. Therefore, we can assume they are idealists and everyone knows idealists are easy!

There you are. Any better ideas?

So glad we were able to help, Bardi the Boxer and Jona G.

1. Fleurdamour says:

I thought he just could not wait to get to the end of the tale.

2. *groan*

3. Fleurdamour says:

Why do people who hate puns read the Cute Overload comments pages?

4. Fleurdamour says:

Seriously, that’s all we do here.

5. It was a well tailored pun.

6. Fleurdamour says:

7. Haha, yes, Bardi looks like he’s maybe not firing on all cylinders. But, in the most adorable, lovable way possible! I would help him not run into things whenever the furniture’s been rearranged with a pat on the head and a yummy biscuit. :)

8. Kari Callin says:

AAAUGHHH!!! It’s after me!!!!!! BAROOOOOO!!!!!!!!

9. Yes. I think it is this. Because my mum’s dog caught her tail once and was shocked to discover that the thing chasing her had bit her. She was outraged at its insolence.

10. Fird Birfle says:

as well, she should have been.

HARRUMPH !!!!

11. because. it’s. chasing. MEEEEEEEE.

12. Reminds me of that old NTMTOM chestnut,

Be careful little pup, you just might catch it one day.

13. that’s what I thought of too :D

Classic, classic NTMTOM. One of my very favorite posts everrrrr

14. kibblenibble says:

Mine, too. :-) I laughed SO hard.

15. because they can!

16. The Original Jane says:

That’s what I was thinking!

17. skippymom says:

Does anybody else have cats who chase their tails?

18. Around here, Dante’s tail is known as “That Evil Thing Attached to My Butt.”

19. We call it the Butt Snake.

20. Fird Birfle says:

Which, in turn, is prolly abbreviated as T.E.T.A. (t) M. B.

21. SoccerSue says:

22. Mary (the first) says:

Sure! But not too long. Once they realize, they stop. And they realize a lot sooner than any dog would. :D

23. skippymom says:

My little Chloe, who is otherwise very smart, will chase her tail for quite a while, as though she is determined to catch that thing no matter how long it takes.
    I think with cats there is a willing suspension of disbelief going on–as in when they play earnestly with a toy mouse that really doesn’t look and certainly doesn’t smell like a mouse.

24. dangercat says:

Agreed! Definitely a suspension of disbelief. Most of my kitties chase their tails, but mostly when they think no one is watching. One has a black tail with a white tip, and that durn thing is always following him around.

25. One of our cats used to chase the shadow of his tail rather than the tail itself. He outgrew that a couple of years ago, though. Too bad–I really enjoyed watching him turn in circles until he fell down.

I love Bardi’s crazy white eyed “I’m gonna get you!” look.

26. HAHAHAHAHA! This is the best action shot!

27. what a lovely, crazy googly-eyed brindle baby!

anyone else reminded of the Simple Dog from Hyperbole and a Half?

28. I’m also reminded of Satchel from Get Fuzzy :)

29. Oh yes! I love the Simple Dog (and Hyperbole…, too) :)

30. wackadoodle eyes !

31. emmberrann says:

32. Fird Birfle says:

33. leaves of cat grass says:

everyone know that dogs chase their tails because…. OMNOMNOMOMOMNOM!

34. Fird Birfle says:

Why did George Mallory climb Mt Everest??
    “Because it’s THERE.”

This koan also applies to the dog v. tail issue.

35. The Original Jane says:

Well at least Cujo is after himself for the moment and not someone else. Wow, those scary eyes!

36. AHHHHH! Boxer puppy! Having a great ole time! Lovin’ it! At least this pup has a long enough tail to chase. I always wondered about my pup when she chased her nubbin because we all know she wouldn’t have caught that.

37. mods again??? Man. I gotta figure out what I’m saying to get into mod lounge. Hmmm. *goes searching for some pie*

38. Fird Birfle says:

Emmylee, would you enjoy a slice of peach pie, a la mode???

39. *drools* YES Firdie YES!! I want I want I want!!!! *grabbie hands* Ahem…Please Firdie may I have a slice of that pie :)