Meanwhile, Back in Wonderland

Whooooo tooka my hookah? Was it YOOOU?

Very curious indeed, Ant and Kat Z. who might like us to think there are some bugs cuter than puppies!

Comments

1. Cute? Yes.
    Cuter than puppies? Let’s be serious, here.

2. OK I suffer from entomophobia (fear of insects) and even I have to admit this little guy is cute!

3. Is that for reals? Because that is one adorabuhl little bugaroo!

4. He looks fuzzy.

5. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. “Cute? yes. Cuter than puppies? well .. sorry.. but no.” But definitely, VERY cute!

6. Kari Callin says:

Eye SEE YOOOUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. The eyes have it ! I want this as a stuffed critter !!!!

8. fish eye no miko says:

Actually… that’s his(?) butt. It’s camouflage; predators bite that end, instead of the bug’s head.

9. Fird Birfle says:

Esta tres weird, man 8-O

(But the color selection is tres pleasant)

10. You mean…he’s been my favourite character all these years, and all this time I’ve been looking at his rear end?

Butt…that’s impossible!

11. The Original Jane says:

Look for dilated pupils among other signs that your child is on drugs…

12. The Original Jane says:

So that means what looks like his mouth is actually his (well, I don’t want to get put in the mod lounge, so…)

I just thought how funny/weird/uncomfortable it would be if a child thought he could “feed” this little critter from the wrong end. A few grass blades maybe? Yikes!

13. The Original Jane says:

Come on Theresa, lets’ have a video of Grace Slick w/Jefferson Starship doing “Go Ask Alice”. :)

14. Kari Callin says:

Here’s a youtube video of this caterpillar, with the oversized “eyes” , to make it look like a snake to ward off predators, and watch what happens when the person touches it!

15. When I was a kid I loved playing with bugs, especially caterpillars…. when I saw this little guy I thought BarroooooooooooooO: for caterpillars

16. *Nelson voice* Ha ha! Made you gag.

17. Creepy cute needs to be a new category.

18. “WHO R U?”

19. GAH!

20. pinkmariposa says:

this looks like something a child would draw, can’t believe those eyes
    kinda cute but, really no pun intended is the face the back end?
    like the color will it become a butterfly?

21. pinkmariposa says:

I am in mod lounge…oh no!!! ;P

22. Fird Birfle says:

– ma’am??? May I help you???

23. Fird Birfle says:

twue.

24. bookmonstercats says:

Yes, what is/is going to be this cutie-pie?

25. How doth the little butterfly….

26. Does he know the way through the Labyrinth?

27. Actually, ’tis just behind the caterpillar’s head that the “eye spots” are. The head is the part facing down toward the leaf. Kari Callin nailed the identification – it’s a spicebush swallowtail caterpillar, papilio troilus. The website http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/ has all sorts of cool photos of this and many other butterflies, moths and caterpillars.

28. come again soon!

29. Slimey’s my favorite too! <3

30. Hey! That’s my cousin twice removed!

31. The Original Jane says:

Ah, thank you.

32. The Original Jane says:

Had some time to find it myself, here we go:

33. Curiouser, curiouser, & curiouser……. :roll:
    (And who could be sooo mean to steal his hookah???
    Caterpillars in Allys in Wunnerland are never found without them, poor liddol guy…..)
    Hmmm; isn’t he usually sitting on a mushroom?? Did the crooks replace it with a leaf?
    I hope he had some kind of insurance, even basic Bug-Owner’s……!!!

34. bob drummond says:

Thank you JANE, for finding that video of white Rabbit . I knew that eventually someone would locate one !!!

35. I know that the backside of a caterpillar is what looks like the frontside, but based on that Youtube video about the defense mechanism of this caterpillar, it seems like that actually IS it’s frontside. Does anyone else agree?