Man’s BFF

This is Sandy. My brother found her 10 years ago as a stray puppy, so my family adopted her. She was an extremely good companion to my mother, who was very ill, had little mobility, and spent much of her life in a hospital bed in our living room. Sandy was probably my dad’s best friend too, especially after my mother passed away in August 2007. Since my father spent much of the last 20 years caring for his wife, he had very little else in his life, and I’m so glad Sandy provided him comfort and love. My father, unfortunately, passed away unexpectedly in June 2011, so Sandy went on to live with my brother again.

Sandy was diagnosed with liver cancer a couple of months before my dad passed away. After a very risky and very expensive surgery, she was said to be cured, only to have the cancer return again. We found out just last week, so yesterday, January 25, 2012, during another risky but hopeful surgery, the surgeon removed a tumor that was more than 3 pounds and attached to her liver and her intestines. In an act of mercy, it was decided to spare her the long and painful recovery from her surgery only to have her live a few more weeks. She was put to sleep, and while I cannot say with certainty that what was done was right or wrong, I do know that my world will not be the same without that sweet pup.

She was everything a sweet, loving, sometimes naughty puppy should be, and she brought endless laughter and smiles to the people who knew her. Goodbye Sandy! You will be missed.

That was a loving tribute, Meghan R.

Comments

1. Reading this made me think of all of the pets I have ever owned and I appreciate them all. Animals are amazing and great for our lives. They help reduce the stress of everyday life, comfort us when we need it and provide unconditional love where some people would not have that kind of love.

I teared up a little as I read this story but it made me appreciate my companions all the more. Thank you for sharing this and I hope everyone will read this and think about their faithful friend. Or even think about adopting a new best friend =)

~ Kieli ~

2. That’s so sad. The hardest thing you have to do. Now she’s reunited with your mom and dad, and just like them she feels no pain.

3. Kieli is totally right. I couldn’t have made it thorugh some dark days without my gorgeous anipals. Sandy gave everything to the people she loved, and who loved her back. Bless you, Sandy, for making the world a better place. And hugs to the people who miss her.

4. Oh my gosh, what a smoochable mug! :cry:

5. Lunacydress says:

*sniff* (((Hugs to Meghan and family)))

That was the merciful thing to do- don’t ever doubt that you did the right thing. You were there for her the same way she was there for your parents. <3

6. Peanutcat says:

*blub*

7. Meghan R, thank you so much for sharing this adorable pup and her story with us. We all know what it is to lose these precious friends, and I wish you and your family much healing and peace.

8. SharonK1973 says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. Your story comforts me because it shows how much people love and appreciate their pets – more like a family member actually. I think there was a whole lot more rescuing in this story than a stray puppy 10 years ago.

9. *sniff* Animals are the best companions. Bye Sandy. I can tell you were very loved.

10. I love how it says ‘Mans BFF” even though it appears it was submitted by a woman.

Seriously?

11. Meg,

You chose what you thought was most merciful for Sandy.

That is a wonderful gift you gave her.

Sandy gave your family the wonderful gift of her presence in your lives.

Sandy was well Loved by you all.

Really, what more can a pup get?

Congratulations for loving her. Miss her and celebrate her life in your lives with joy in your heart – the same joy she shared with you when she looked up to you and wagged her tail so happily.

All the best to you.

Tom

12. Rest in peace, Sandy. We all miss you.

13. Good night, sweet pup.

14. This was so incredibly sweet. It made me tear as I was reading it. Dogs are just AMAZING. Rest in peace, sweet puppa!!

15. I don’t know if the person who wrote this will read this, but as a tech I feel the need to comment:

Please don’t doubt whether or not you did the right thing. You most certainly did. I’m sure it was an agonizing decision, but you provided everything and so much more for this pup who was clearly loved very very much. You tried everything possible for this very lucky dog. I’m sure she knows that too in doggy heaven. Very touching!

16. Stories like these make me want a dog even more. As sad as this story was it is always great to have greatness in your life in every and any form possible. This dog was great and brought greatness into its owners lives:)

17. What a lovely tribute – I miss Sandy and I didn’t even know her! And what an adorable face! My heart goes out to your family, Meghan, and I hope you can smile over memories of your furry angel. She sounds like a truly special girl.

18. Love and hugs to you and your family!

19. As my mother says, choosing to end an animal’s suffering is the best proof of your love for that animal. Rest in peace, sweet Sandy, and I wish the best of everything to you, Meghan.

20. “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” -Anatole France

Rest in peace, Sandy <3

21. :(

22. Sniff… R.I.P. good girl!

23. Barooooooo! [crying sound]

24. We lost Molly Dec 16th 2010. Our life will never be the same. I’m so sorry, wish I could give you a hug. Rest in peace sweet Sandy XOXO

25. Meghan, you know your mom and dad were waiting for Sandy at the Rainbow Bridge. You did the right thing, even though it was the hardest thing. Just know that all of us here share your pain and your sorrow, and we grieve along with you. (((HUGS)))

26. I’m so very sorry, Meghan. My condolences to you and your family. It is so, so hard to lose a furry family member.

27. Lindsay Rae says:

Meg,
    Some people don’t understand what it feels like to lose an animal, because it really isn’t just losing an animal, it’s losing a family member. I was sad when you told me about Sandy, and this was a lovely way to honor her memory. She was a sweet, sweet girl, and will be missed. I know I will miss her. I will remember her as a loving, happy puppy, and also that you adored her, and she knew that. Remember the good times, and know that she loved you just as much as you loved her. ::hugs::

Linds

28. Dr. Emile Schoeffhausen says:

“A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others.”

Sandy had a big, generous, loving heart. And you do, too, Meaghan. You did the right thing.

29. That’s just dust in my eyes, darned allergies are acting up…. Oh screw it, I am bawling. Kleenex in the mod lounge?

30. What a sweet dog and to Meaghan, you have to know you did right by Sandy. My mom was ill for quite some time herself and it was a struggle for her after surgeries and the like. When it’s that tough for someone who understands what is happening to them, I just know that it’s a good thing to let the animal rest rather than be in pain and not understand why. We did the same with our dog, he was 17 and surgery would have given him a little more time, but at what cost?

31. erk, I don’t mean financial cost, I meant emotional.

32. Exactly as Theresa said, above. Be gentle to yourself at this time, and take the time and energy you need to heal.

33. The shock collar is the saddest thing about this post.

34. emmberrann says:

We all grieve with you, those of us who have also lost our 4-footed best friends. You were blessed to have a Sandy, as she was blessed to have you. My condolences.

35. What a lovely face! Many condolences on your loss.

36. You did the right thing, Meghan. Don’t ever doubt yourself. Beautiful Sandy is now frolicking on the other side of the rainbow bridge without any pain or a care in the world. You sweet pup was lucky to have you watching out for her.

RIP, Sandy. P.S. Say hi to my Riley while you’re up there.

37. DanBenZvi says:

Oh, great and powerful Oz, please give the Tin Woman a heart.

38. Sandy sweetheart, may you rest in peace with mummy & daddy. The good Lord blessed your family with Sandy and unfortunately he takes away just as he gives. I know all to well the loss of a wonderful dog and my heart and prayers go out to you all. May you find comfort in knowing that your mum, dad & Sandy are all together again and remember, you will see your blessed little angel again xoxoxoxo

39. My condolences. And I’d like to echo what the others are saying, it may not have been easy but you did the right thing and put a merciful end to her suffering.

40. Meaghan R, may your heartache ease with every passing day so that good memories of sweet Sandy always bring a smile to your face. You and your brother have my deepest sympathy for your losses.

41. I’m so sorry for your loss Meghan. My husband and I lost our sweet cat Scooby this past spring. It has been almost a year, but we still grieve for her. It has gotten easier though. It is so hard to be responsible having to make life and death decisions for your pet – you never know if you are doing the right thing. (At least, we felt this way with Scooby). But it certainly sounds to me like you and your family did everything you could for Sandy, and gave her a wonderful and loving home. Take good care of yourselves.

42. I should add, my sincerest condolences for the losses of both of your parents in the last few years as well – it sounds like your family has been through a lot.

43. Sandy, you left a very very long trail of love and happiness behind. We should all be so lovely. Have eternal fun chasing butterflies in puppy heaven with your mom and dad. And tell my Potsie dog I love him, okay? :)

44. nano's mom says:

What a wonderful tribute, and what a sweet face.
    Now, Jill. Ate you truly so inflexible and lacking in empathy that the collar is what you focused on? If so, I am sorry for you. You know nothing of the circumstances around it, but choose to ignore the love expressed in the narrative to focus on your interpretation. And before you say “what other interpretation is there?”, I had a wonderful dog whose collar had NO BATTERIES. Just the feel kept him from barking. So you see, you miss much by focusing on assumptions, as you apparently missed the beauty of this tribute

45. Some years ago I would not understand…but now two kittehs live with us and they were so important to give us some relief when we had troubles, and they made us laugh even when the day was hard
    we are with you, and sleep well , Sandy

46. Jackie Rose says:

My sincerest sympathies to you and your family. God bless.

47. {{{Meghan}}}…your words are a loving tribute to sweet Sandy and your family.
    Sending you and your family loving hugs.

48. A most noble creature. A dog among the greatest of dogs. Rest in Peace Dear One.

49. Trisha M. says:

Oh such a beautiful girl Sandy was. And she brought so much life and love into so many people’s lives. I’m so sorry for your loss, but I think you made the right decision. Condolences on the loss of your parents, as well. Animal companions are so much more than pets. Blessings to you and your family. RIP beautiful Sandy-you did good. I hope when you’re ready you’ll bring another furr-pal into your life.

50. Meghan: for anyone who has parted with a beloved animal, this is the place to be. Enjoy the commiseration, love and support of the best group of people on the interwebs. Thanks CO and fellow fans and loyal followers. *sniff sniff*.

51. Meghan, thank you for sharing your story. You absolutely did the right thing, ie, the thing that was harder for you but best for her. I know the extraordinary and unique pain of losing a pet who has helped you through the loss of a family member, the almost “extra guilt” you might feel, but you can be certain that she loved providing that love and support, and you repaid it by relieving her of her pain when she needed it. I also wish you and your brother much love, healing and strength.

52. Mary (the first) says:

*sniff* well, I was kind of ok most of the day today until now. I lost my 21.5 yr.old cat today.. the house seems so empty without her. I know you did the right thing, Meghan. I didn’t have to make that decision but was just on the brink of that same pain. Be sure you gave Sandy a good life and did what she needed, when she needed. Hugs to you and your family.

53. Barooooooo :( Meghan I am so sorry for your loss :(

54. I am so sorry for your loss, Sandy was clearly a very loving and sweet part of your family. I only home that the knowledge that she isn’t in pain anymore makes this difficult time easier for you. You did do the right thing, don’t question that. I am sure that Sandy appreciated the selflessness in your decision.

55. Good girl, Sandy.

(((((Meghan)))))

56. it could very well be a citronella collar or any other number of things. this dog was clearly well loved, can you go nuff elsewhere please? thanks.

57. Your comment is the saddest thing about this post. Shame on you.

58. May Sandy rest in peace. They give so much and ask for so little, and when they go they leave their love behind with us.

59. I agree.

60. What a beautiful puppeh, what a beautiful life your family gave her, and what wonderful love and support she gave in return.

61. Our beloved animal friends are never with us long enough. Small comfort that many of us literally feel your loss, Meghan…. Thank you Meg and the rest of CuteOverload for publishing this wonderful tribute.

62. Miss Spell says:

Grieve not,
    nor speak of me with tears,
    but laugh and talk of me
    as if I were beside you.
    I loved you so –
    ’twas Heaven here with you.

Ilsa Paschal Richardson

63. The last, best thing we can do for our animal companions, but we’re never ready to let them go. What a beautiful pup Sandy was, and how fortunate you were to have found each other.

64. Sweet sweet baby. You’re ok now. You’re a good pup.

I just had to put down my kitty two weeks ago and I’m still half-looking for her around the house. I know it was the right choice and that it was for her, not me.

65. But it still hurts like hell.

66. MrsKravitz says:

To Meghan and Meghan’s brother, So so sorry for your loss. Her eyes say it all. What a loving girl! And how wonderful that she could be such a good companion to both your mother and your father.
    Ahem. Quite dusty in here, all of a sudden.
    May you find comfort in knowing that your dear loved ones have left pain and suffering behind, and are in a place of peace.

67. We had a very big yard, so yes, we used a remote collar so we didn’t have to limit her outside play-time to only when we were able to be with her. Especially when my mom was alive and before Dad retired, mom was home alone all day with her, but she wasn’t capable physically of getting herself outside, which would mean Sandy couldn’t go and play when she wanted to. She was very spoiled, so if Sandra, as my mom called her, wanted to play outside, my mom would hobble her little self out of her bed and open the deck door. But as much as my mom wanted to be able to play outside with her, she was not capable.

Additionally, Sandy was uncommonly violent around other animals, dogs especially. While she never once attacked an adult or even a rough child, she did cause a very serious injury to a relative’s dog, who greatly outweighed her. Don’t get me wrong; Sandy was amazing…with people. Even with my mom and her limited mobility, Sandy just somehow knew she needed to be gentle, that she couldn’t jump on her, that she couldn’t rough-house or chase the way she did with me and other healthy people. But with other animals, we had to be extremely careful. The last thing we would want to happen is for Sandy to get out of the yard and attack one of the many, many family pets that were in our neighborhood. I’ve been through that experience, and she was leashed; my giant 6 foot, 250 pound brother could not pull her away from the animal she wanted to attack. Not only would that have been heartbreaking for the poor animal and family involved, but we would likely be forced to put Sandy down.

So yes, we did use a shock collar, but it was, in our humble opinion, the best way to keep her safe. Her ideal outside playtime rarely involved lots of exercise. She was a posh little girl, who liked 24/7 air conditioning, to be hand-fed, and to sleep under the covers with my dad :P She just really liked to lay on the deck or under the willow tree, but without that collar, she would have had to stay indoors. If its use offends you, I do apologize. It seemed like the only realistic choice for us, at the time.

68. So much loss, yet so much love! Live. Is. A. Puzzlement. Baroo to all who recently lost beloved fur ones. I’m sure those closed doors are creating opened windows all over the ‘verse. Blessings on your heads!

69. Please understand, it still hurts but when they’re in pain and suffering, you have to do what’s right for them.

70. Er, that’s LIFE is a puzzlement.

71. RIP sweet Sandy. What a wonderful tribute to a member of your family.

72. kibblenibble says:

(((Mary)))
    A hug for you.

73. Meg, I’m so sorry for your losses, which are great. What a beautiful tribute to a special dog. Sandy loved and was loved. xoxo

74. *hugs*

75. Deepest sympathies on your loss, Meghan. What a hero Sandy was. I am sure she got a hero’s welcome at the Bridge.

76. :-(

77. Barroooo sweet darling baby. Much love to your family

78. *sniff*
    RIP in Sandy.
    I am so sorry for you and your family.
    Hugs to all. You were blessed to have such a sweet loving Sandy.
    I am off to hug and squeeze my doggie now.

79. Nugz_the_Kat says:

Thank you for sharing your dog’s beautiful life with us… She’s reunited with your parents now :)

80. Meghan – I’m so glad your family gave Sandy a loving home, and had the courage to minimize her suffering at the end of her life. Thanks for sharing her story and her picture. How lucky you all were to have each other.

81. Andy Medley says:

To have loved and been loved. Unconditional and absolute. Is to have known and been touched by something perfect. The loss of that, through the tears, is to know that it is just that. And always will be. There are those who don’t understand properly, and will ask “Are you going to get another one?” But those that do understand, well, they will ask the same question.

82. You will see your sweet pupper Sandy again at the Rainbow Bridge. You absolutely did the best thing, as difficult as it is, for your forever friend. God bless you. Thank you for posting such a loving and thoughtful memorial of her.

83. My deepest condolences, Mary. I lost my own kitty Frizzle in September and I still expect to see him sitting in his favorite spot. This grief thing is like the biggest bully on the playground: when you least expect it, it walks up to you and socks you right in the gut.

I’ll extend the same condolences to you too, Meghan R. Sandy sounded like a wonderful friend. She’s up there in doggie heaven cuddling with your folks, just like she used to.

84. Oh my heart. I am so sorry, Mary; we are never really ready to let them go.

85. What a beautiful and touching tribute to a family member. Thank you for sharing this story.

86. I am moved by your story and believe that you made to most loving and humane decision. PLEASE look up the poem (the longer version, if you are able), entitled, The Rainbow Bridge (Author Unknown). I believe, with all my heart, that its words convey, what I believe to be the truth.. I hope it resonates with you, as it does me, and brings you some solace. I believe that the only true un-conditional love one ever truly receives in this world, is from a canine companion— they judge not, and love you no matter what!!!

87. Barooooooooo~!

88. Sometimes letting them go is the most loving decision you can make. It only feels right long afterwards.

89. Rockie's Mom says:

What a lovely memorial for Sandy. Anyone who says animals are not family members has never had a pet.

90. this sort of post needs an alert upfront.
    I read thru,looking for cuteness and ended up sad

91. Nugz_the_Kat says:

*takes hat off to you*

92. emmberrann says:

Mary, I still miss my beloved 20-year-old Picky Cat. They give their hearts to us. And we lose ours to them. I wish there were something that I might say that will comfort you. But time only can answer that. Please know that all of us here send you our prayers for comfort.

93. Totally tearing up now!!!

RIP Sandy…may you run in parks and receive lots of cuddles in heaven

94. I honor you and your love today Sandy. I know one day I will have to mourn the loss of my own little furry friend. She is my heart beat, just as you were to your people Sandy.

To the owner… May your loving memories of happy times overcome the great sadness soon. I know the pain is so deep.. but only because your love was and is.

Respect and blessings to you.

95. mumrik (irl: gabriela & toller princess sienna) says:

this is SO true.

i wouldn’t be the person i am today without having had the best anipals EVER.
    my tears FLOWED while i was reading this tribute to the wonderful sandy, and of course i couldn’t help but think of my bearded collie boy “totte”, who’s been waiting at the rainbow bridge for me for almost three years now.
    i miss him every single day, but i’m happy that i have a new fourlegger by my side – nova scotia duck tolling retriever princess “sienna”.

much love and healing to sandy’s humans (and any anipal friends still with them) – most of us in here KNOW what heartache you’re going through, and the question “did i do the right thing?” will begin to whisper its “yes” when your heart is starting to heal…

*cyber hugs*
    /gabriela

96. bookmonstercats says:

Heh! Well put, DBZ. I don’t like seeing any animal in a restraint, but they sometimes are needed. Much as we love our anipals, they aren’t people, don’t understand things on the same level as we do (well most of us), and occasionally need a bit of tough love.

God bless, Meghan, you’ve had a lot of sadness in your life; you’re an example to us all of how to rise above it and count our blessings.

97. bookmonstercats says:

I lost my 19 year old tabby friend more than 10 years ago, and I still remember the feeling of emptiness and loss the days after, especially since I’d nursed him through his last few months of cancer, until the vet said he was losing his quality of life and it was time to do the decent thing by him. It will get better, Mary, I promise. {{{hugs}}}}

98. bookmonstercats says:

… but it’s an uplifting sadness, Lil. We’re blessed with the cute, it gets taken away from us in due time, and we can turn to CO for comfort. The world isn’t going to hell in a handcart, after all.

99. Oh goodness tears are still streaming down my face on this one, hard to believe something that seemed to start off like no one wanted her she was taken in by the family she needed and the family that needed her (sometimes happens when we least expect it) all the laughter and healing the union brought to everyone…..I am so sorry for all the losses that have happened, but I would not lie and say she was super special and as difficult of a decision it was (and I think we all understand how hard that one is) you made the most healthy decision. She is now with your mom and dad! Being your guardian angel as well.

100. Hi Meghan,
    I am so sorry for your loss. :( Those of us with animals know this is a decision we will face and it is never easy. It is very clear you and your family loved her, and she loved you. Thank you for giving us her beautiful story.

Saff

101. Hugs <3 to ktarty.

102. Many many hugs and prayers to Mary.

103. KittyMarthaPoo says:

Meghan, thank you for sharing Sandy with us. I know your lives were richer to have had her, and she to have had you!

104. Haha, I wasn’t offended. While Sandy was a family pup, she was most certainly a daddy’s girl. My father and she were inseparable.

105. I’m so sorry Mary. That is just heartbreaking. I have three cats, and they are a very central and necessary part of my world, same as Sandy. I’m sure your cat lived a wonderful life and never doubted just how much her Mary loved her.

106. I’m so sorry for your loss, Kar, and I agree with you. At the point of this second surgery, Sandy had lost so much weight, she was but one small pound heavier than she had been when she was 6 months old. Her body was giving up, and I guess she was ready to let go, regardless of how ready or not her people were.

I’m glad you could end your kitty’s suffering, and I’m sure she knows it was not an easy decision for you to make.

107. Charlotte/Lily says:

Sandy,

Please say hello to Tiggy, Sooty, Cleo, Jay, Nipper, Timmy, Lister, Kryten, Rex, Coco, Charlie, Pops, and all my other pets that are bounding around over that Bridge with you – and latest, but certainly one of my dearest, my littleoldman!cat Misty, who has only been there a few weeks longer than you, sweet girl. Rest well with them.

Meghan,
    Thankyou for sharing her story with us; I’m still in floods of tears. Pets mean so much more than they ever know to the humans that love them.

108. Meg, I am so sorry for all of your family losses. Sandy looks like a beautiful and sweet dog who gave a lot of love to so many. You gave her a beautiful tribute.

109. Dewprisms says:

You realize that “man” collectively refers to “mankind” as in humanity in general, right?

110. Dewprisms says:

Aah, that’s exactly how I felt! :< I even said "BAROOOOOOO" to myself!

111. I can only add my condolences to the many here. It’s sad to hear of the passing of such a dear friend.

112. “I cannot say with certainty that what was done was right or wrong” – you never know, you just do the best you can… she knows that you loved her… that’s what we do – we love them and do our best to take care of them, and when it’s time to relieve them from pain, it is too, up to us, because there is nobody else… my condolences, she was a very special friend…

113. Hugs and love to both Meghan and Mary.

114. Cats too, I know this.

115. My heart goes out to you for your loss. Please accept my condolences.

I released my dear kitty Jaqqi boy on Halloween 2011. On January 21, 2012, I lost my dear father. I’m having a hard time and I surely can identify with what you’re going through.

You did the right thing by releasing Sandy. You showed great mercy and unselfishness.

I’m surrounded by my two other male kitties, Shadow and Orange Man. We’re in this together.

116. Sometimes you have to love them enough to let them go. I have no doubt whatsoever that you made the right decision for your dear Sandy. I’m sorry for your loss but thank you so much for sharing her with us.

I wish everyone in the world could have their own special Sandy to love and be loved by. What a kinder, more forgiving place the world would be.

117. Sad Overload :-(
    Still begging for quotation marks so we know it’s not the Mod Overlords making the statements.

118. Thank you for such a sweet tribute. I am sorry for your loss. Sandy had a good life with such a loving family.

119. very eloquently said.
    Please accept my condolences on the loss of your family member. I know, I always tell people I have 2 two legged kids, 2 4 legged kids.
    Be well and time does heal.

120. My sister had to put down her friend of 15 years. Came home to find a homeless cat asleep on the dog’s bed. Sometimes they just know.

121. Amen to all you said so eloquently.

122. That’s always the rub though isn’t Meghan, we’re not always ready to let go but we do for them.

Again, sorry for your loss and for your family at losing such a good friend.

123. txredhead says:

You know that when you cannot bear to think of your pet in pain that letting them go is the best thing for them – please know your decision was in Sandy’s best interest. I lost my cat to renal failure just over a year ago – I struggled with the decision; I really did not want to have him put to sleep. But when I came home one day and saw how much he had deteriorated just overnight, and how much pain he was in, I knew I had to let him go. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, but I could not ask him to continue in such pain just for me. I will always treasure the time I had with my Oscar kitty – he will always live on in my memory, as will your family’s precious Sandy.

124. Dear Meghan,

It’s never easy. If it’s easy there might be something wrong there.

Sandy was the best girl she knew how to be. You and your brother were and are the best people for her. Your family worked as hard and best you could simply to be able to keep her with you, safe and loved. That’s what you got in return.

I’m afraid I have a bit of a crowd waiting for me at the bridge. Sandy knows now it’s okay to play with other animals. I hope they’re having fun.

(Most definitely the one above) Jill

125. Oh. Oh, I am so sorry. My first dog: also a stray puppy, also lived ten years, also was lost to cancer. My heart is with you. :(

126. Good Sandy. Good dog.

(weeps)

127. AWW :cry: TWO BIG CYBER HUGS to Meghan and Mary :cry:

128. AWW :cry: A BIG CYBER HUG to you, Kar :cry: We ( my brother, his friend and me) had to put down our dear sweet kitty, Smokey, on August 31, 2010, and we still miss her :cry: She is waiting for us along with Tygger and Spot, our other two dear sweet kitties :cry:

129. AWW, momazilla :cry: It makes you wonder if somehow their spirit came to another cat and told them to come to this nice human’s house who will take good care of them and also asked that cat to take care of the nice human for them :cry:

130. AWW :cry: You are not the only one, Jill, who will have a crowd of kitties waiting for them at the bridge :cry:

131. I am so glad that you and your family were able to take in Sandy, and enjoy her company as much as you did. It sounds like you all gave Sandy a wonderful life, one she possibly would not have recieved if not for your brother. I am sure your Mother and Father were there at the Rainbow Bridge to welcome her. May Sandy rest in peace. My condolences to you and your family.

132. A beautiful and loving tribute to a special dog.

133. You did the right thing. Don’t ever second guess yourself. We love them and we are their caretakers, and only we know when that moment comes. I’m sure they prefer to go to sleep while they are not deeply in pain. Love and caring sometimes makes for hard choices. I was a rescue person and had to make many of those choices. I know the hurt but I also know that I gave many animals a very good life before I had to make that choice.

134. phred's mom says:

I lost my dog, Phred, thirty-five years ago, and his reincarnation, Ben, a cat,
    (karma, anyone?) almost twenty years ago. Still can hear their voices, feel
    their fur, their warmth. They blessed me, as Sandy was a blessing to her
    humans. Snif.

135. Oh, Meg, I’m so sorry for your loss.

A dear friend of mine recently had to put his 14-year-old cat, whom he’d had since kittenhood, to sleep. Pookie was an American Shorthair, a rescue from the local Humane Society. He had been sick as a kitten and had various health problems on and off his whole life. This time, it was bouts with cancer, and recently it came back with a vengeance: a tumor just inside his right rear leg about the size of a chicken egg. I’d only known Pookie for about 7 years, but I’d become very close to him. I cried when I was told of his decision, and I was there with him at the vet when we ended his suffering.

{*{*{*BIG HUGS*}*}*}

136. What a beautiful tribute! Thank you for sharing. I am so sorry for your losses. You and your family (including Sandy) seem wonderful :-)

137. JLAmusings says:

Amen to both comments!

138. well not really. it’s “humanity,” not “mankind.” at least, not since the dark ages. :)

139. Thanks all of you for your kind and supportive words. I really did not expect Sandy would make it on the website, as none of my other submissions ever did, but I am really appreciative of how loving people I don’t even know have been to me and my family, Sandy-pup included. Having you share your experiences and your kindness has been a really wonderful, completely unexpected joy. If Sandy were alive, she would be the happiest, bounciest little puppy, just soaking up the love.

140. Dear Miss Spell,
    I have not read this before but I find it so very beautiful, simple and perfect that I have printed it out and will memorize it. Thank you for posting it; it truly touched me and will help me through coming times of sadness as my husband, my two girl puppies and I age. I am very grateful to have found this beautiful verse.

141. There’s a whole lotta lovin’ in those eyes. Rest in peace Sandy. Blessings & hugs to you Meghan; so sorry for your losses and may you be doubly blessed with your next canine companion.

142. Mmmm-wah! To both of you.
    I always believe they are with you when you need them most.

143. Sandy was an Angel I firmly believe. He may have been a stray but was clearly ment to be a member of your household. You did the right thing for him. A decision right from your heart.
    Hugs!!!

144. Fleurdamour says:

I had roommates over the years with a wonderful Akita and several sweet Siamese cats. Even not as their owner, the benefits I derived from living with them were amazing. I would walk the doggie sometimes, and when you pulled his leash off the hook, he would sing and dance like Fred Astaire, spinning in a happy circle and hooting. And the kittehs had as much personality. One of them liked to hang out on my head. I was covered with cat hair for five years, and who cares? They were worth it.

145. Fleurdamour says:

Baroo hoo hoo! Poor doggie, but no one could ask for more love than she got from your family.

146. It never gets any easier to say goodbye, but when the pain eases, I always try to remember – all animals ask from us is a little love and kindness, and they give so much in return. You gave her a loving home, and she took care of you and your loved ones the way only a pet can do. Sandy really had a wonderful life.

147. You did so much for her then most would because she did so much for your family. Bless you, your family and most of all Sandy!

148. Not crying, really! *sobs*

What a beautiful dog, and what a loving life it received from your family.

149. what a loving tribute to your beloved Sandy. sending comfort to you–
    Jessie

150. My thought exactly.

151. I’m so sorry that you lost such a wonderful member of your family. I once read about a little boy who explained that the reason dogs have such short lives and humans have long ones is because we spend our whole lives figuring out how to be wonderful, kind people, but dogs already know how to do that so they don’t need to be here as long. I always thought that was such a sweet interpretation for a little kid to have. And he’s right, of course: dogs do know how to be wonderful and it seems like if you have the opportunity to be loved by a dog, especially one like Sandy, then you really are quite lucky. Since it only happened last week, I’m sure you’re still quite raw about it. I’ll be thinking about you and Sandy. All dogs go to heaven, right!?

152. PumpkinPieThekitteh says:

Such a sad but heartwarming story!

153. I am so sorry for your loss. But what an amazing story of dogs who love, and love, and love.

154. Agreed! Hugs!

155. I.m so sorry for your loss. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I can tell she was very loved.