Cute Debut

Hello World!

Elphaba’s my name.

Madagascar’s my game.

My only game.

Hi. I’m new, wanna be friends?

All sifaka lemurs, like me, are threatened. All lemurs live on Madagascar.

Madagascar is one of the world’s most endangered biodiversity hotspots. These are photos taken by Duke Lemur Center staff photographer, David Haring, sent to us by Niki Barnett, thank you!

Comments

1. OHMYSTINKINCARP! An AYE-AYE! Named, of course, by that eminent taxonomist, Ricky Ricardo. :P

Duke Lemur Center– home of Nigel the Lemur!

2. OMG what a cute little one. I love the ears. This is a cutie pie – so adorable. Please keep posting photos. Thank you for sharing with us.

3. WendyLady says:

I’m in LURV………………..”faint”

4. WendyLady says:

Wakes up and supplies a “beep” and a “boop” and a big ol’ MWAH to both bebbehs.

5. Why I love lemurs . . . the aye-aye, the sifaka, the black and white ruffed, the red ruffed, and of course the ringtail. What’s not to love?

And who could ever forget John Cleese describing the aye-aye as a cat that’s been microwaved?

6. Malagasy superstition maintains the aye-aye is a harbinger of death. If it extends its slender middle finger at you (HAR HAR) they think it means you’re going to die soon.

On the other hand, if Malagasy people were killing my friends and family because we look weird, I’d probably extend a middle finger to them, too. With any luck, their superstitions would come true.

7. #1 looks like a gremlin I love him!

8. Two by two, hands of blue!

9. ahh but if only Elphaba were green

10. JannieWolf says:

“Wicked” Cute. :)

11. Madagascar’s president is a 30 something former club DJ. For him the rainforest is the green of money.
    Read and weep

12. We always refer to the aye-aye as the “Swiss Army Lemur” because each of its little fingers are designed for a different task! (good graphic here: http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/primate/PrimateWeek/AyeAye/index.html)

13. What beautiful green eyes!

14. “each…*is* designed”
    *facepalm*

15. What rule of cute deals with ears big enough to fly around with?

16. Fird Birfle says:

GIGI WINS EVERYTHING

17. Fird Birfle says:

PYRIT nice title RHYME & meaningk there :)

18. *has a Zaboomafoo flashback*

19. cellarmouse says:

hah…

20. cellarmouse says:

ha hah…

21. I’m pretty sure that one at the top was designed by the Henson company.

22. Aye, aye what have we here.

23. The Original Jane says:

Did anyone else notice that Elphaba has little “vases” that her eyebrows grow out of?! Tee hee.

(and boy did that picture shock me at first – a creature I hadn’t seen before – not your regular lemur.)

24. Aye-Aye: “HARRY POTTER HAS LOST HIS WEEZEEE!”

25. Martha in Washington says:

The Aye-Aye is definitely the definition of “so ugly he’s cute”.

26. Martha in Washington says:

So…what’s good in the Mod Lounge tonight? *looks around for snacks and beverages*

27. WIN!

28. Watch out for any chocolate they might offer you!

29. Ok, now I am wierded-out.

30. Aye-ayes look like Nicolas Cage.
    Don’t do drugs or martinis, kids!

31. bob drummond says:

What was the name of that movie where John Clease was working for a zoo in England ? Anybody know ?

32. Top one is for the calendar. How about Valentine’s Day. Just saying….

33. Amazing, huh? That middle finger has evolved to tap rotten logs and extract grubs from them.

Also, to give the aye-aye salute to those who would perpetuate the destruction of lemur habitat.

34. LOVE LOVE LOVE the aye-aye — right up there with possums in the “so-ugly-it’s-cute” category!

35. Seriously, my first thought was “Don’t get it wet!”

36. It was “Fierce Creatures”. I have seldom laughed so much right through a movie. My fav’ quote: “Sir, there’s a call coming through for you. It’s from ATLANTIS!!”

37. Sasha's Mum says:

The Aye-Aye was one of the species highlighted in the superb series “Last Chance to See.” Where Stephen Fry and Mark Carwardine revisited a bunch of endangered species that Carwardine and Douglas Adams wrote about 20 years earlier.

Here’s one clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQoZ5ESK4YI

38. athena's mom says:

The top one reminds me of the little shrieking sidekick that hung out on Jabba the Hut in Return of the Jedi

39. That’s the first thing I thought! Looks like it came from “Labyrinth”!