May I have this dance?

You lead, since I happen to have two left feet, er…

Looks like standing room only, Sender-Inner Tal S., who got a kick out of Michael Milicia’s awesome bird photo collection on Facebook.

Comments

1. That looks like how I feel when I (for once) attempt to dance..

2. bob drummond says:

Yeah, I used to be like that on the dance floor too !

3. o.O

4. 260Oakley says:

One of the newest attractions at Leg-o Land.

5. And there’s an odd number of ‘em too.

6. Awww, I want a boid with 9 feet!

7. I guess this would be for those families where everybody wants a drumstick model. What the heck? Is it just the camera angle?

8. FInally, science has achieved the long sought-for 9-legged chicken!!!

9. I didn’t want to go there, but my mind certainly did (see below!)

10. PPS: I believe this is a Piping Plover, an endangered, and EXTREMELY CUTE BOID. Even without extra leg enhancements, they have an incredibly adorable twinkly-toe action on the beach that will KEELL YOU!

11. Dancin’ needs music, how about the song “Gimme Shelter”?

12. Fird Birfle says:

13. Fird Birfle says:

I think tha Boids need brightly-striped KNEESOCKS!!!

(And NO, I don’t mean ferrets :) )

14. Plovers… They re so cute and puffy and fun to watch!

15. Hitler insists he knows how many legs there are:

16. Beautiful photo, you can almost hear the little chicks…
    MOM!! tell Brad to stop crowding me!

17. Emmberrann says:

OO-oo-oo, 260O! You makin’ me larff!

18. Emmberrann says:

Quit pokin, me, Angie! That wasn’t me, it was Stevie!

19. I’m going to say this is totally ‘shopped…that’s like seven more legs, three more wings, and like two more butts than that bird should have!

20. Alfie! Get off my foot!

21. He’s TOUCHING me!!! :P

22. I kept hearing “vvvvrrrooommm” as their little legs carried them across the beach. What a cute video–thanks for posting it!

23. “I’m NOT touching her!”

*hovers wing tips one inch from sibling’s beak*

Sing-song: “Iiii’m nawwwt tuuuh ching huuuuurrrr”

24. Is this a photoshop or is that the most protection momma bird ever?

25. protective…

26. Fleurdamour says:

It’s like photoshop fail.

27. Run… run..run…run… STOP! Haha, you’re it!

28. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah, this is pretty, but kind of confusing. The video was cute too. Pretty birds!

29. okay, spoiler alert: he really does say nein for 10 minutes straight.

30. i wouldn’t click on that link, though, I was pointed at a facebook page with a pic of a dead dolphin. Not what I wanted, yuck.

31. “Moooooooooommmmmmmmm! Kyle’s picking on me!”

32. I always here a kind of Hanna-Barbera cartoon “deedle deedle deedle” sound myself.

33. “He’s on my side!!!!!!!!”

“I’m gonna turn this car around, and there’s gonna be no more Dave and Busters for a LONG time!” :P

34. Fird Birfle says:

“Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad — He’s BREATHING my AIR …..”

35. Those are the legs of babies clumped under mom’s voluminous “skirt”. They do this to keep warm when necessary, until their own feathers grow in.

36. Omigosh. I just totally GOL’d. (Guffawed Out Loud).

37. They do cluster under Mom’s wings. No “Shop’n” here. Can’t Ever get enough of these Marshmallow birds. Nice Shot!!!

38. By the way, the reason they are endangered is due to nest and chick destruction by dune buggies on beaches where they nest.

39. That video made me think back to childhood and all the games of Red Light, Green Light that we used to play.

40. Plover’loving Overload!

41. Best In Show, anyone?
    “Gerry Fleck: I can’t dance, I can’t dance, I’ve got two left feet!
    Cookie Fleck: I thought he was kidding.
    Gerry Fleck: But I wasn’t. I was born with two left feet.
    ……..”

42. I love plovers. Their protectiveness to their little ones is wonderful. When a predator comes near their hole in the ground nests, the adult will pretend to have a crippled wing and stay just out of reach, luring the danger away from their babies. One time, when leading my horse out to his pasture, a Killdeer (another type of plover) stood in the path, spreading his wings to make himself look larger and glared fiercely at my gentle horse. Clearly his message was “try to get past me and you will be a dead horse.” I’m sure his babies were behind him somewhere. We took a different path to the pasture, letting the courageous plover win that battle. The plover weighed a few ounces, my horse over a half ton, but that plover was willing to put his life on the line. How could I not love them?

43. Aha, the moderation lounge where undreamed of goodies await for my enjoyment. I’ve been wanting to try it out. Hey Sharpie, how are ya?

44. Flutterby says:

I love watching these boids on teh beach, the few times I’ve been to one, as they look like they’re dancing a singular Tango while searching for goodies in the sand while the waves gently advance and retreat!!

45. That is why dune buggies or any other vehicle is not allowed on certain beaches by law. Unfortunately, there still are some morons who need to have their butts kicked up to their shoulders to make them stop driving on those beaches.

46. I’m sure it’s not ‘shopped… mom is pretty floofy and one of the babes is likely standing on one foot to scratch an eetch. Or to surreptitiously boot a sibling.

47. ILoveHarryPotterAndMyNameisMackenzie says:

My mom and I walk down the beach and we see them all the time; we say: dokka dokka dokka dokka dokka dokka!

48. Maybe a bird like this is where Theo Jansen got his inspiration: