Is There a Point to This Post?

If you get lost while at the zoo,
The one thing you must never do
Is ask a monkey, word for word
” ‘Scuse me, can you point out the bird?”

Flickr user jinterwas notes: “Golden lion tamarin at Apenheul, Apeldoorn, the Netherlands, making a well known gesture with its middle finger.”

1. snortlaff
    I know, I know, I’m so juvenile…

2. Fird Birfle says:

Join the Club, ceejoe !!

3. I use it to push my glasses up on my nose, myself. :P

4. victoreia says:

Ditto. The only picture they had of me for the slideshow at h.s. graduation was me doing just that.

5. You jackanapes. :P

6. LOOOOOOOLLLL! And the perfect facial expression to go with it! That’s hilarious!

7. He resembles some people.

8. PS: Monkeh! :P

9. Ralphie: Oooh fuuudge!
    Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Only I didn’t say “Fudge.” I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the “F-dash-dash-dash” word!

I love this quote!

10. rofl!
    and you know it word for word i see.

11. that is the wonder of thei internet

12. Hail, first monkeh of the year,
    I exercise my Gabriel chops
    Check this little cavalier
    Golden red, and like some mops,
    He is something to observe,
    Gives the finger to the Dutch,
    plus the tourists, what a nerve
    Causing those with pearls to clutch! :P

13. Brava! Brava! I bow to you!

14. skippymom says:

Theresa RULES.

15. whoa.

16. Nicely done! :-D

17. So fantastic Theresa.

18. Bravo! Woot! Woot!

19. *does ballet-like “reverence”*

20. Well, well done… Just so well done.

21. bwahahahahhaah!!!! oh that was a good start to my day :)

22. skippymom says:

Trying to figure out which Dr. Seuss character this guy reminds me of….

23. Lorax?

24. Definitely the lorax. He or she is all orange. And has the same curmudgeonly look as the Lorax.

25. He speaks for the trees.

26. SlaveToCat says:

Gesture followed by a vocalization of:

“Bite Me”

27. I knew I loved those monkeys….he was eating.

28. he’s like a picture of a beautiful, slightly ominous alien someone would draw. but that little bit of apple just goofies him right up.

29. kibblenibble says:

“goofies him right up”

Loff eet!

30. Mary (the first) says:

I don’t know if this is funnier (the finger and caption) or beautifullier (the monkeh). Great start to the year, either way!

31. skippymom says:

His body looks like the Lorax, but the finger–doesn’t the Grinch stick out a long bony finger at some point? I’d check, but our copy is out right now.
    Or am I thinking of ET?

32. victoreia says:

33. Nobody else likes dis monkeh? *snif*

34. SlaveToCat says:

The monkey does kinda look like the crazy creepy relative everyone has in their family tree.

Hands Theresa a clean Hanky and bowl of sliced apples with a banana glaze for the tamarin.

35. *I* wike you, widdle monkeh!

36. Golden lion tamarins are my favorite little monkeys. We have a big family of them who live at the National Zoo and they are free to roam the trees without being in an enclosure. So some days you’ll be walking along minding your own beeswax when all of the sudden you’ll see a flash of orange as one of these cuties zips past you to get to a different tree. Sooo adorable.

37. Perhaps a titch disconcerting to those who don’t know about this beforehand, yes?

38. One of the early family groups had an older mom with a bit of arthritis who found that it was easier to travel on the fence railing than on the branches and ropes (substitute vines). And the whole family copied her. I spent more time keeping people away from the “adorable little monkeys” than I did making official observations. One time she just about got in a little kid’s lap to snatch his hot dog. She definitely would have given me the finger when I got her to back off. She reminded me of Jeane Kirkpatrick. (It was that long ago.)

39. How are they kept in the zoo?

40. The release area is in the middle of the zoo, and they have no reason to go far from their nest box, feeding area, and family. Ropes are strung from tree to tree in that area to give them “vines” to travel on. They don’t get close to the public except that family with the arthritic mom one year.

One of the youngsters nearly gave me a heart attack on the day he went out to the middle of a rope between trees, hung upside down like a sloth, and let go. He grabbed a branch on the way down and was fine….

And one day they discovered the red wolf pen nearby and started “mobbing the predators,” rubbing along the top of the high fence rails and chattering at the wolves, who were leaping up and trying to grab long orange tails that were flipped out of the way of their teeth just at each last moment….

Boy howdy, that was a fun behavior watch assignment.

41. So precious. They are just the most magical looking wee critters.

42. Megumi's Mom says:

he looks JUST like someone I know!

43. Mr. Tamarin, you have something on your lip. *kisses it off for him*

44. I LOVE the hair color, kinda like mine! The middle finger is hilarious!!!

45. bob drummond says:

This is the first time I ever saw a monkey give the photographer the “finger ” to show his appreciation !!!!!

46. ♪•*¨*•♪Do you know the way to San José?