Cute or Sad: No Depth Percept-shons

Aghnnnn! [Head tilt] Poor baby tortoise Kevin just hasn’t gotten the hang of it yet!

Sender-Inner Haley L. says: “Forgive the camera shaking, I was laughing too hard.”

Comments

1. Very cute, eventually precious little Kevin got to his epic noms !! What a lovely little angel, bless his little cotton socks xoxoxox

2. Yeah, I needed glasses when I was young, too.

3. That made me giggle and go poor baby at the same time :lol:
    I was sure little Kevin would nom a piece of finger before he was finidhed,

4. IT IS !!

5. auroragyps says:

I think little Kevin needs glasses, perhaps tortoise shell ones?

6. Kari Callin says:

As with all babies, it takes a while for the eye-neck-mouth coordination to kick in. ;)

7. Jerry (a turtle, though, not a tortoise) does this sometimes too. Admittedly, hes in the water, so his food does move a little.

Love how Kevin puts his foot/hand on the tomato after that first bite, like he’s trying to keep it in place.

8. Stay safe! Please remember to choose a designated driver for New Year’s Eve. The police will be setting up Sobriety Check points and arresting all drivers who appear unable to bite the tomato…

9. Yes, poor Kevin can’t quite stick his landing. He needs some tomato paste.

10. That’s awful…

11. I’m in the Mod Lounge. Looking for tomatoes…

12. Achingly cute, but entirely confused. So how does Kevin miss, even when he has his hand on the food?

13. Is it bad that I had the same thought?

14. I would not have been able to resist “booping” poor little Kev on the nose; just as a gentle hint of where to locate the tastey tomato, of course! ;)

15. I didn’t know you could order tortoises from Amazon. I got a giftcard for Christmas *goes to their site to buy her own Kevin*

16. kibblenibble says:

I had glasses, too. I was also uncoordinated, like this little fella seems to be. I was always close to last to get picked for any team. Poor little guy. Hope he grows out of it, like I (sorta) did. :-)

17. I thought the same thing!!!!

18. I had glasses from an early age too… but alas, I never had any trouble getting food into my mouth.

19. Is it bad that I had the Hungry Hungry Hippo theme goin’ in mah head?

Oh here, let them sing it to ya:

20. I like him alot

21. I can’t past the fact the tor-tors name is Kevin. Adorable.

22. I’ve heard (and observed) that creatures whose eyes are located on the sides of their heads have a slight blind spot right in front of their noses. Most often this is the case with herbivores, while predators have better depth perception because their eyes face forward. If you watch rabbits, birds, rodents, horses, deer, etc, they scope things out by giving them the side-eye or put a foot forward- because that’s the only way they can focus directly. Not sure if that is the deal with Kevin & his unrequited tomato, but that’s my theory. : )

23. *Shakes head* Kevin, Kevin, Kevin. I have heard that turtles are slow, but I didn’t think they meant . . . eh, never mind. *Pats Kevin’s head*

24. cellarmouse says:

right, but the thing is, how can the guy holding the tomato keep teasing the li’l blind tortie…it’s like watching a newborn tryin’ to find mommy’s faucet…he needs a little help at first…

25. As my husband commented, “Get in mah bell-eh tomato!”

26. Martha in Washington says:

Kevin, dude, it’s the one in the middle!

Kevin is the BEST pet name EVER!

27. Carla Oliveira says:

Sad!

28. Hahaha! the best part was how spectacularly he was missing! I cheered when he finally got a bit!

29. Blue Footed Booby says:

You just know if he tried to help the tortoise would go the wrong way.

30. Cute! So cute!

Not only does Kevin have awesome, loving owners he’s hand fed and clearly spoiled to bits (as he should be). Kevin and his feeders are equally patient CO superstars.

31. Hmm. They may clash. Could be a problem finding them should they drop.

I was thinking more black-frame emo ones. Huge, easy to find. :D

32. Ahh. That explains it then. Kevin is used to eating giganta-foods. This measly morsel does not compute.

33. kibblenibble says:

His wee peenk tongue is adorabuhls. :-)

34. AlbertaGirl says:

The Unrequited Tomatoes would be a great name for a band.

35. I THOUGHT we had seen a turtle named Kevin before. Such a good name.

36. bob drummond says:

Don’t worry ! Tortoise shell frames are no longer made from real chelonians ! Besides , black ones will make him look like either Buddy Holly or Drew Carey!!

37. bob drummond says:

Don’t worry ! They’re probably right next to the cukes !! YIKES, I SAID IT !!!
    Oh well, Pumpkin cappacinos anybody ?

38. bob drummond says:

If I can get a turtle thru Amazon.com then I ‘m going shopping ! Bye bye !!!

39. Peeps, Kevin has a Facebook page!

40. As a depth-perception-challenged person, I…I…uh…identify with this greatly. (Pushes bifocals up on nose.)

41. Fird Birfle says:

*shakes pompoms with vigor, spilling pompom bits on the ground agin*

42. Fird Birfle says:

Re; depth-perception-challenged: Ditto.
    Re.: identifying, greatly: Ditto.

Re: adjusting bifocals: Ditto.

(sigh)

(attempts to eat another bite of tomayto/ tomahto)

43. Fird Birfle says:

:) “….the one in the middle” :)

MiW FTW!!!!

44. Meg, sometimes your humor is twisted!

45. I can’t watch all of it. I think its a little mean. Poor Kevin needs some assistance.

46. Anyone else feel like “You can get it if you really want” should be playing in the background?

PS. I vote “sadly cute”

47. Or maybe, “You can’t always get what you want”

48. yay Buddy Holly!

49. Haha. This is very common tortoise behavior. I’ve had a few. It always seems like they burn more calories eating, than they get from what they actually get in their mouths. Also once they get the hang of it, if it’s something exciting, like a strawberry, they get really hilariously adamant.

50. Of course! That would my reason, too! :D

51. *BE* my reason! :blush:

52. I remember when that was my only sight problem…. *sigh*

53. Fird Birfle says:

Tortoise + “adamant” seems particularly well-described.
    I think it’s because their mouth/ beak region looks so fierce, like it’s part of a suit of armor.

54. Fird Birfle says:

seconded !!!

Also, YAY B.H. hornrim spectacles !!!

(NOT, of course, that any more of ‘em should be made from actual tortoise clothing)

55. I have had torts for years, They do side eye their food, especially if it’s brightly colored, then they stuff their noses right in the middle before taking any chomps. As to ‘helping’ him, it’s important for little animals (and little people) to learn by doing. If he was in the wild, no one would be hand feeding him and he’d get no help at all, but he’d still try just as hard and miss just as much. He’d also grow up knowing the most effective way to approach good food and not be some wimpy can’t-get-his-own-food kinda guy!

56. Is it strange that I want to give this little guy a tiny turtle hug? So sweet!

57. LOL Rachael! Me either!

58. bob drummond says:

Yeah A-girl, that would be a fine name for a Band !!
    Just like – CREAM
    – MEATLOAF
    -BREAD
    -and of course SMASHING PUMPKINS!!!

59. I iz Awsome says:

Hes perfecting his chompular motions!!

60. Sad!

61. dogsleder says:

Sad, definitely. After the first few attempts, no longer funny…would liked to have seen a successful finger chomp.