On the Fifth Day of Cutemas,

My true lof gave to me: Five golden ducklings!

Lovin’ that sly look, Melanie Hughes.

Comments

1. So yellow! I love yellow! :-)

2. Andi from NC says:

Hovertext attack!!! sides hurt… can’t breathe…..

3. When I lived in Long Beach, CA, I went walking with a friend on the beach a few blocks from my house. (The beach had a concrete sidewalk down it, and you could see the twinkling lights of the man-made oil company ‘islands’ from it. An industrial beach, anyone?)

Anyway, some evil-doer had abandoned 6 baby duckling chicks, about this size, on the beach. Hey, salt water is water, right? So, we returned to my apartment with six ducklings beeping the cradle of our now soaking shirts.

The little fellows lived in my tub and second bathroom while getting large enough to manage on their own, before we took them down to another local park that was also a bird sanctuary, with a pond. We released them, and watched as they were immediately adopted by a Goose and a Gander. When I left California a few years later, the front page of the local newspaper carried a picture of the sanctuary park, and smack dab in the middle, were six large white ducks. In my hear, I know they were my boys. :-) (I named them, as you would, Voltaire, Rabelais, D’Artangan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis.)

4. I did have a comment, but I was intimidated into silence by the hovertext.

5. Fird Birfle says:

LOL’ing.

6. Fird Birfle says:

YAY Esther and bebbeh duckies !!!!

7. Fird Birfle says:

Co is a Thug place. or a Gangsta place; either way.

8. Fird Birfle says:

PS: Anybody who particularly lurves the bebbeh duck whose squinty
    eyes aka shifty eyes — raise yer hand!!!

*raises hand*

Signed,
    Edward G. Robinson.

9. YAY!
    *pulls out big momma confetti launcher*

10. emmberrann says:

Are you sure Mr. McSquinterson isn’t catching 40 birdy winks?

11. How cheep!

12. I’m still hurting from that creche with the cat paw reaching in that was posted on Fri. as well as the hilarious readers’ comments it inspired. :-)

Meg & Co., you all have been in rare form lately! :-)

13. I would have given them those names too, Esther. What a good person you are (and not just for the names)!

14. what a great story, Esther!

15. Oakley hasn’t commented yet. I feel a pun coming….
    Quick people duck!

16. Yep, and you don’t cross NOMTOM! He might sic the ducklings on you!

17. Yes! Get down!

18. I know they were your boys! Quacks for Esther!

19. It’s so cool that you got to see your ducks safe and sound and all grown up, Esther! A blessing on your head for rescuing them. :-)

20. hee hee hee! :-)

21. Fird Birfle says:

nope. Ah ain’t shoor uv NUTTIN!!!

22. Fird Birfle says:

*giggle giggle giggle*

*applause*

23. Fird Birfle says:

oh my goodness, a “one-two” punch from Gigi & Jessy !!!

24. sooo Golden, Sooo Prosh… and Posh… and peeptastic

25. During devine delicious dinner, daring desirable Ducklings doze daintily, dreaming-up daredevil deeds.

26. Yay I didn’t get thrown in the Moderations Lounge… I was holding my breath after all those d words. :)

27. All this prosh floof…makes me think of spring – bebeh chick AND bebeh duckies !!!

28. Ducks RULE!!! I just did a shoot with one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21470442@N05/6516899591/in/photostream), and they have a sense of humor :-)

29. And their quacks are very very cute

30. Mary (the first) says:

YAY for you. This is the close-second-best part of CO, the CO’ers!!

31. Mary (the first) says:

Luckily I read the hovertext before commenting, too.

Signed,
    All shut up…

32. All the good lines have been used already. Anything I might add would be re-ducktive.

33. There is no sixth duckling in that picture, the round yellow thingy in the background is one of the golden rings that wanted to get in on the fun ;)

Ok ok ok, shutting up now….

;D

34. kibblenibble says:

Winglets!

35. Awww, “Peeptastic”. I had a giant white pet duck named ‘Peep’. :(

He was the bestest duck eva. When he died of natural causes, we had him…stuffed…yes, I know, but anyhow…

My dad had been in the hospital for over a month and Peep became his hospital room mascot. Doctors who weren’t my dad’s, nurses from other floors, and even administrative staff would come to see Peep and visit with my dad. Peep was quite the conversation starter.

My dad remained in the hospital (with several trips to the ICU, double leg amputation, and sundry other ailments) until he died a year later. Every time he’d have to go to ICU, or have yet another surgery, the nurses would keep Peep at the nurses’ station until my dad came back. What a bunch of lovely souls!

Peep brought joy to our lives while he was quacking and even after he had passed
    as a beloved mascot. RIP, oh noble Peeplink. You were the most ‘peeptastic’ duck evah! :)

But also a little :( I so miss my dad.

36. Fird Birfle says:

*snerk*

37. Fird Birfle says:

quite daunting, eh?? ;)

38. Fiiiiiive golllllllden ducklings!
    Fouuur snoring owls, three flying skwerls, two-ooo packed pups, and a kitteh pawwww in nativity . . .

39. The fuzzzzzz…! :shock:

40. Oh geez, I’m bawlin here! Bless your heart!

41. Nomtom – even though you and pyrit & Meg are taking turns, I think these 12 days of Cutemas entries will be a nice addition to the coffee table book that you’re working on. [hint, hint] ;)

42. LisaLassie says:

I am SO glad that the hovertext was mentioned. Now I will NOT comment that the “C” in Cute Overload clearly stands for “Cute” and not “Counting”. No, I will not.

43. HA!!!!!

44. *raises hand also, too, as well*

45. I got a tired parent, “stop asking questions!” vibe from that hovertext. :D

46. Shouldn’t that be “raise your wing”? (JK, Firdie! ;) )

47. I think this is all in fowl taste, the lot of it.

48. [mouth hanging open at story] Where do you live that has such a magical hospital??

49. That’s a banana in the background. Ducklings love bananas. True story

50. Second!!

51. @ hovertext: *snortlaff* and *snerk* :lol:

52. Thanks all, I appreciate it. They were cuddly, too. Holding a little bitty duck in your hands up high against your chest, so it can tuck its head under your chin and do the little duck beak chitter I love you mommy thing, more than made up for any inconvenience. :-)

53. I think this was the post-Peep incarnation, as it were. Hugs, Mamabear, we miss those who’ve gone before us even more during the holidays.

54. Thank you both. This was in 1990. Hospitals might not be so “human” now.

55. :D

56. LOVE the expression on that duck’s face!

57. bob drummond says:

I find this whole entry …..JUST DUCKY !! Quack, quack ! Maybe I better just leave before I go ..QUACKERS !!!!!

58. LOL’ing here too! I never even thought to look for hovertext!!!

59. Aaaaw! That’s such a wonderful happy ending :) Thanks so much for giving them a chance and looking after them, it was the greatest give you could give them! Hugs and quacks from my own big fluffy white duckie, Callaloo :)