Hey, you know what we should do this weekend!?

I have this really great idea—the neighbors will be beyond jealous. Bob? Bob are you listening!?

Nativity scene found by Chief Sister Officer.

Comments

1. Love it!

2. P.S. Tiny nit-pick: “Were”, not “where” in the hovertext.

Signed,
    Life-long bibliophile

3. Ah, the true message of Christmas: be a dog in a manger.
    No, wait . . .
    Love the imperious visage of the western-most king, and the equine observer

4. We need a manger-hance … that looks like a terrier playing Jesus! Which would explain a LOT.

Also, ya gotta love that one of the Wise Men is a Moorish King.

This is the best Nativity scene EVAR. What’s the backstory?

5. Oh this is flat out spectacular! I especially love the 3 kings and their gifts of gold, frankincense and grrrr…

6. The 3 sheepies in the front aren’t baaaaad either….

7. That horse is thinking:

PHOTOBOMB!

8. this weekand, I want to go beach… I love it

9. I had no idea that Jesus, Mary, and Joseph had such beepable noses! :-)

10. *snicker*

11. *snerk*

12. Very cute, but wasn’t the Jesus-was-an-adorable-puppy doctrine (cynophysitism) pretty decisively rejected at the Council of Ephesus? I’m not any happier about it than anyone else, but I’m just sayin’, that’s definitely not orthodox. Maybe Dan Brown could try bringing that idea back, though, or make it up fresh if I’m wrong/lying about it being suppressed at Ephesus.

P.S. I didn’t even notice the invisible dark horse on the right until I looked for about the fourth time.

13. I want to be able to zooooom in!

14. bob drummond says:

This is like saying “Christmas is going to the dogs!” I do not think I can approve of this picture ,sorry guys !Christmas is a rather sacred subject in my eyes !

15. Wait! A Labrador is a Shepherd? Who cast this anyway?

I do like it that the horses are the angels…or I think they are.

16. OMG, I LOVE this!

Best Nativity scene since this one:

17. This shall be my Christmas card next year! Must have….

18. The cutest creche ever !

19. saintstryfe says:

Joseph is all like “Listen, Mary, I’m supportive here, no stoning is gonna go on, but please, the kid ain’t mine, your paper training him yourself.”

20. bookmonstercats says:

…suffer the little ones, bob

…for the least of these shall be the greatest……

(Might not have the exact words, not got my Bible to hand) ;)

21. omg When he brought in teh Dalek;;; and the sheep ROFL!

22. O Little town of Bethlabhem

23. Yes, where did Chief Sister officer find it?

24. I was told as a child that on Christmas eve at midnight the barn animals can talk like people because they warmed the baby Jesus in the manger.
    But I did know they dressed up and put on the nativity play!!!!! :lol:

25. Is there another horse hiding behind the manger?

26. I too, feel that Christmas is such a sacred thing. But I do like this photo…animals are such a beautiful creation of God, and all Cute Overloaders know that they bring a smile to the face and healing to the heart, so I actually think this picture is very sweet and touching. Oh, and I think the “Baby Jesus” is a long-haired chihuahua…he looks just like my chih “Tiny.”

27. bookmonstercats says:

Yaay, Nikki.

28. GreatKatzini says:

Another fun legend is that all tabbys have that “M” mark on their forehead because they warmed Jesus…
    If that horse is supposed to be an angel, why hasn’t he got the halo? Or wings?
    Wait, wouldn’t that be pegasus? Now i’ m confused…

29. I’m sure there’s a joke in here somewhere about caganers and dogs in the nativity scene…

30. eep! broken link: caganer

31. Is that a donkey in the background!?!?! Awesomesauce. Too bad the cow is kinda lost in the darkness.

32. I just posted this on FB with “Oh little town of Barklehem…”

33. We put the “mange” in “manger!”

34. I don’t see the cow. Where is he? I see two horses and a donkey with an opinion (from the look of the ears).Also maybe a sheep behind Joseph, but I can’t tell exactly.

35. This scene is possible only through the miracle of the bond between dogs and humans.

36. This is absolutely the best ever. Laughed until I cried. Yes, I’m a believer and I hold Christmas as sacred as well, but COME ON!!! Thanks so much for the belly laugh this morning!

37. *golf clap*

38. I learn things every day on this site! :lol:

39. Well, I never. I mean, ever. (Clutches pearls.)

40. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Those are some very patient dogs!

41. KittyMarthaPoo says:

No, now I heard that tabbys have the “M” on their forehead because the soothing-ness of their purring was able to stop baby Jesus from crying.

42. KittyMarthaPoo says:

But God loves all creatures. I personally feel He would love this. Animals are very sincere

43. How did they EVER pull this together? Lots of treats, I must guess …… Love the donkey ears behind the manger!

44. Whoever came up with this is absolutely BRILLIANT!!

45. I love how all the goggies look so serious. Haha!

Does that horse have a pink mane?

46. As my mother would say, “That’s VERY clever!” I, myself, am speechless from the cute overload! :) Good doggies and etc.!!!

47. It’s…beautiful.

48. bob drummond says:

Okay bookie, you made your point ! Even Marlene thought it was funny !!

49. I laughed the hardest when the shepherd knocked on the back of the truck to let him know the sheep were all loaded. Ah, a BRITISH Christmas! The best, whether Bean or Dylan Thomas or TH White or …

50. Corki Bear says:

Do any of you know about an old book (circa 1964, so I’m really dating myself) called “Abigayil” by Rouben Mamoulian? You may be able to find copies on Amazon. It the story of the cat at the manger. It’s all about the animals in the stable the night Jesus was born–in particular, how the cat (Abigayil) has a broken paw that is healed that night after keeping the baby warm from the draft in the stable. The story is told from the cat’s point of view and is quite charming.

51. Catwhisperer says:

I just recently learned what being a dog in a manger means, so I’m especially tickled by your post!

52. JME, you may be thinking of the famous incident where the cynophysites turned up their noses at the Diet of Worms.

53. I never write anymore, but this picture inspired me so! how many treats did it take to get everyone dressed, in position and Staying??? the qtest evah!

54. Awww…I just noticed that one of the “angel horses” has a *star* on it’s forehead. How cutely appropriate for this scene…(-:

55. The story goes,that a kitten was guarding baby Jesus,when Mary walked in and saw what the tabby was doing.So she blessed the kitten,and thats why all cats have the “m” on their foreheads.

.Or so I heard,then I again I never paid attention in Sunday school.lol.

56. That and the poor little lamb running after teh truck!

57. IT is a Donkey and it totally makes the scene!

58. OR possibly a goat behind joseph

59. One has to wonder if they decided on the composition of their pet herd (as in, 9 large retrievers and a single tiny chihuahua) specifically with this in mind…

60. Fleurdamour says:

Dog is love.

61. Fleurdamour says:

I’d like to see you try to do this with cats.

62. Cats are better at reenacting historic battles.

63. “Where” would work if there were a comma: “Where you born, in a barn?” with implied “were” between “where” and “you” i.e., common street vernacular.

64. Especially the fighting….

65. old goatlady says:

Huh! Learn something new everyday, thank goodness for CO and google! I’ll have to figure out a way to work it into a conversation today – my family already thinks I’m weird – I like to keep them on their toes ;)

66. So many doggies in one place being cute!!! I’m hyperventilating!!!!

67. My favorite Christmas book was called “The Donkey’s Dream” and it was about the birth of Jesus from the perspective of the Donkey whom Mary rode. Cute.

68. Best nativity scene ever :) Thanks CO.

69. Also, I think God has a sense of humor, since we are made in his/her image.

70. Fleurdamour says:

I concur. I also liked the one they ran a couple of years ago, with a kitty paw reaching in to mess with Baby Jesus and a squee’ing angel.

71. It’s a MOOP!

72. I love the cane for the shepherd’s crook!

73. Anna Biscuits says:

Furry Christmas! We could never get our Terriers to do this. I’m impressed!

74. I think the “cow” that I thought I saw at first is the black horse with the white flash on his forehead. SAWEEEEE! I see black and white and I go to “cow”. There’s definitely a donkey behind Picnic-Basket-Jesus though. YEE HAW.

75. Those are not all retrievers. The white ones are Great Pyrennees (best dogs EVER)

76. Oooops, I mean the white ONE, singular.

77. Dearest CO, can we pleeeeeeeease see again the nativity seen to which Fleurdamour adverts? The one with the kitty paw reaching in to mess with Baby Jesus and the best hovertext EVAR?

78. I actually think it’s one of those little French-ish dogs that have a name associated with butterfly.

79. bob drummond says:

All I can say is that this story is the cat’s meow ,baby !!!

80. notice the guy at the end of the nativity scene gave Bean his purchase. I don’t think Bean paid for it.

81. I had no idea what y’all meant since I’d missed the original: but behold what ‘Soich’ gets us: ‘O Little Town of Bethlehe – aieeee!’ And in the words of Monty Python and the Holy Grail: ‘Jesus Christ! Run away!’

82. Putzin Around says:

Pappillion…spelling might be off, but it means “butterfly”

83. Gracias and fixed! Stray h got in that somehow.

84. :)

Merry Christmas to you both.

85. lol picnic-basket-Jesus!

86. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *geekfit*

87. Aaah! Donkey ears on the behbeh! :LOL:

88. What, never? :D

89. And the licking. :P

90. Dub1 posted the link a few posts above. Aieeeeeeeeee!

91. And while i am not particularly Christian, I do love me some nativity scenes. All sorts of nativity scenes- big ones, little ones, tacky plastic ones, fancy antique ones, ones with little kids, ones with animals; they’re one of my favorite things about Christmas. I think we can decisively agree here that cute animals are the great uniter of diverse beliefs.

92. don’t tell anyone, but the white one overlooking the scene is Ceiling Horse!

93. fleurdamour says:

And lo, there descended from heaven the sign and herald of a wise man who came from a fur.

94. fleurdamour says:

That just gave me a vision of the Bayeux Tapestry, only with cats.

95. Emperor Constantine made sure the evidence was destroyed so that he could reject it – and claim that he was the cutest. We all know the truth though!

96. If it was with dogs, it would be the Baroo Tapestry.

97. Having had three labs thru the years, it absolutely amazes me that all the goggies behaved so well and comported themselves so beautifully…..!
    (If I had to take the photo, I would have had to utilize a truckload of treats, tremendous coaxing, and much pulling of hair out (my own)….Also I would have been reduced to waving a broom around like a crazy lady, with my voice almost totally hoarse from continuous canine coaching….. :shock: )
    And that’s why Professional Pet Photographers are so appealing to me….. :roll: !!!