Depression Can Suck It

Cuteologist Barbara B. writes: “I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that put the calendar together. I was really bummed out last year when I was lamely wandering through my grocery store, shuffling toward some overpriced chocolate in ratty sweatpants. Through the fog of depression I picked up the 2011 Cute Overload calendar and instantly felt better.”

“I brought it home and scribbled down a few birthdays coming up and my roommates and I planned a few parties, the calender made us laugh and gave me things to look forward to. Any day I just wanted to go back to bed and give up, I’d check the calender and laugh at the cute animals.”

She continued; “As months passed the pictures got cut out and put into letters to my best friend Ashley. She’s in peace corps in Zambia. After we left college we both explored new areas and she too was homesick and alone in a new place (and fighting malaria, dysentery, etc). One of the few bright spots for Ash are letters and the cuteoverload pictures and captions are exactly her style of humor.”

“Looking back at 2011, that calendar kept me organized and upbeat. You really dont know how much it helped. I’m sure sometimes you guys feel like your job is a tad silly, but truly you’re doing a valuable service. Thanks and I can’t wait for the new year to start so I can put up my new 2012 Cute Overload calendar.”

PS I’m doing really awesome now. Depression can suck it!”

Thank you so much for your inspiring story and for letting us post it, Barbara B. Photos of Waffles the kitteh by Lisa M. Astounding hover facts from Uplift Program.

Comments

1. Well said girl. I agree with your shining compliments to the Cute Overload staff and the adorable animals that lift our spirits daily!

2. I’ve thought about buying this calendar for a couple of years. Now, thanks to this story, I will be getting 2012 for sure!!!!

3. I can honestly say, the cuteoverload.com emails are one of the few things i look forward to in my inbox during the day :). from toe-beans to ‘tocks and baby puppeh ears to soft pink kitteh bellies, I know I will always see something that will shoot right into fluffy pink clouds of happiness ;-).

As far as fighting depression, a lot of research has been done on the Standard American Diet and how an overload of processed foods can contribute to mental problems. Check out http://www.ppnf.org for the Weston A. Price Foundation website and the research this amazing doctor did in the 1930’s.

Keep smiling, everyone!!!

4. enjoying some cappuccino in the mod lounge :)

5. I hope she’s putting up a 2012 calendar (not 2011) because no matter how cute 2011 was, you need new cute to keep the ball rolling.

6. I know exactly how Barbara feels. Not only do I struggle with depression and an anxiety disorder, but my husband is currently in Afghanistan, serving our country. Cute Overload has really kept me from dropping into a very dark place where it would be nearly impossible to escape. The CO staff does so much for people like me, bringing sunshine into my day on the days when it’s impossible to find any on my own. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

7. CO is my PostSecret.

8. woohoo! it can, indeed, suck it
    you CO-ers are the best

9. CO Rules…..no matter what happens in life!

10. CO is the best antidepressant!

11. Laughter is the best medicine and the only side effects with CO are curious looks form my co-workers :lol:

12. As a chronic on-and-off sufferer, I can attest how CO– AND the CO peeps– are an essential part of keeping my head above the icky-yucks.
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ !!!!

13. Kittens are my anti-depressant.

14. Chloe's Mom says:

I don’t comment here often but I had to respond to this particular post. While I don’t suffer from depression, I do often have days that are extremely stressful, upsetting, etc. I call CO my “happy place” because that is exactly what it is. Any time I’m sad, angry, stressed out, over worked, etc. this site renews me. People shouldn’t under estimate the power of the floof (and the clever, witty comments). ;)

15. Yay! Depression-and 2011….and especially depression in 2011…can suck the big one (giggles)…that felt good to say that! What a great, empowering post!
    Here’s to a better 2012 for all us CO fans, aka cuteaholics.

16. cheers!

17. What everybody else said.

18. that’s why you shouldn’t take them with meow-inhibitors.

19. BWAHAHAHAHA!

20. the love goes both ways.

21. Who was it that responded to a nuffer by saying “Our surroundings are full of hazards, that’s why we have common sense. The world is a dangerous place, that’s why we have immune system. Life is full of stress, that’s why we have CO”?

22. Ditto x Elebenty-seben.

Signed,
    The Dept. of Rdundancy Dept.

23. Also, Waffles looks nothing like the waffles that come from my wafflemaker. *checks wafflemaker warranty to see if this malfunction is covered by manufacturer. Wonders whether Barbara B. might be willing to share the recipe she used to obtain this adorable result.* 8O

24. Mary (the first) says:

Oh thank you!

25. Mary (the first) says:

I gazillionth the “CO is my antidepressant” comments!!

26. And I do my very best not to take meow-inhibitors at all!

I encourage all the meows I can at home!

27. I dont often smile on the outside but boy… does my daily dose of CO make me smile on the inside. Thank you!

28. Right there with you Theresa! The CO peeps are the best for sure, and the silliness on this site is fantastic medicine. Meg and Co., you are doing a valuable public service, whether you realize it or not. This is such a happy little oasis, especially during extra stressful work days. Thanks a million. ♥ ♥ ♥

29. Sips a gimlet in the Mod Lounge and nibbles on olives. Any holiday treats in the pantry?

And while I wait, I will also add that Waffles is beyond adorable! His eyes are so far apart and yet perfectly in line with his cute little upturned nose. Waffles should be the poster kitty for antidepressant therapy.

30. There was another Waffle-the-cat who did battle with a bee resulting in a much swollen paw and a great deal of CO snickers. Depression lifter exhibit A:

31. Everybody in my life knows that if I am ever feeling sad or stressed, they just have to pull up CO and it puts a smile on my face. Whenever I sound stressed, my boyfriend says “you need to look at cute pictures.”

CO is honestly a part of my identity because of this. Love you guys!

32. Lewis n' Clark says:

hmm, RMR – was it the “fluffy pink clouds?” :)

33. Lewis n' Clark says:

hey – I bought both my 2012 cals yesterday! Problem is, one is supposed to be a gift, and I don’t want to part with either one. Well, at a minimum, I’ll keep the one-a-day; I need my daily dose of happiness and squee!

34. Daww, Waffles, hope his paw is smaller now.

35. Just got home today from my mom’s funeral. While it was not a surprise, since she’s been affected by alzheimers for years, it is still heart breaking. Thanks for the smiles, CO and peeps.

36. Lovely post.

The link to the calendar has a typo in it, and says 2011 instead of 2012. Mentioning it not to be a typonazi but because it’s a little confusing, :-)

[ALL FIXED! -sharpy]

37. Barbara B (& others), you’re not alone. This year has really sucked for me as well (depression, female problems, cancer scare, car accident, catastrophic family dysfunction, two pay cuts at work, work-related stress …). The only bright spot some days was going to sites like CO and LOLcats and other places that gave me warm, fuzzy, cute animals to cyber-cuddle. Whatever gets us thru the day, babe. Blessings to all, and to all a very Mewrry Christmas!

— Bonz

38. That’s how I found CO, too! Fighting depression, and someone on another website somewhere suggested it. I’ve been an almost daily visitor ever since; even though on the worst days I may not post, teh qte always revives my spirit!

Most hearty THANK YOUs to all CO peeps. You guys rock!!!!1!!

39. and a happy mew year!

40. (((hugs))) ceejoe. This sounds like a really tough day for you, and probably comes at the end of several very tough years to boot. Hug your furbabies, if you can, wallow in the cute, and know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of COers at this time.

41. I too, have struggled on and off with depression and anxiety, and can appreciate all of the comments along these lines. Many times when I’ve been having a hard day, I have looked at the CO website and read the funny comments, and it really did help to lift the clouds over my mood. Thanks to the CO staff and commentators–you really do help people more than you probably realize. And ceejoe, I’m sosorry to hear about your mom passing. I do wish you comfort at this time.

42. Yes, hugs to you ceejoe. Sometimes it’s something as simple as a kind word on a cute website that makes it possible to hang in there one more day.

43. good boyfriend!

perhaps he could be a Men of Cuteoverload NOMinee??

44. I always come to CO after reading the news (and before reading the news, and while reading the news). I tell everybody that it’s cheaper than therapy. And the CO commenters, as well as Meg and her awesome team, add to the greatness.

45. Hugs all around. CO is the best place for sympathy because we understand love.

46. This was lovely to read — and completely relate-able. Barbara B., you are SO not alone! So many people have bouts of depression from time to time, and things like the economic stress of the last few years makes everything just that much harder. Lots of us use Cute Overload to lift our spirits.

Big love to everybody out there.

47. Also, where else would I have learned to say “strayshe” and “cronsche” to my dog? ;)

48. kibblenibble says:

{{{{ceejoe}}}}

Hugs from kibblenibble and furbabies George and Minnie.

49. kibblenibble says:

I ditto all of the above. I can’t look at CO at work, but my job is so stressful, that I can’t wait to lighten the load with CO when I get home. The adorable, informative content and witty captions bring me here, and the intelligent, warm, funny, delightful friends I’ve found here keep me returning day after day.

50. I volunteer at a local crisis hotline and our calls run the gamut of depression, anxiety, sucidal thoughts, and more. There are times where our counselors have gotten off the phone and cried out of worry and sadness for our callers. Last year, in the hopes that the cute animals and witty captions could provide at least a small measure of stress relief for the counselors, I bought the wall and page-a-day calendars for the hotline. They were a huge hit. I lost count of the number of times I was told that the day’s picture and/or caption totally hit the spot just when needed. I should also note that CO’s website is now an “official” favorite on the hotline’s phone room computers. So yeah CO, you’re working BOTH sides of the depression equation and we all thank you for it! HIGH FIVE!!

51. bob drummond says:

Javol,mein Freunde, das ist wudabar ! Danke schoen !

52. bob drummond says:

That was very funny Sharpy !! Thank you too !

53. Lewis n' Clark says:

what a great story, Metz. I also want to give leetle shout out to Fird Birfle _ I look forward to your comments, and I WORRY when I don’t see them. But no pressure or anything

54. bob drummond says:

Mat the LORD bless you and your family during this time of great loss.Ceejoe .

55. bob drummond says:

Excuse me, I meant to say “Wundabar !’ Ich bin ein Schmuck !!!

56. HRH QueenCat says:

sorry to read that you’re in jail, RMR – that in itself is depressing :(

as a chronically depressed purrrson, CO gives me a lift every day …

but that “high” passes quickly & it’s back to the ” dark desperate hours that nobody sees”

57. HRH QueenCat says:

many many sorries, ceejoe; sending purrayers to you and your family, and years of pure purrrleasure when on CO xox

58. Thanks for the shortcut to The Other Waffles, as I really wanted to see THAT cute face (and poor paw) too!

59. That’s funny that she mentions her friend in the Peace Corps. I’m currently a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine. We’re referred to as the Posh Corps because we almost all have regular access to electricity, internet, hot water, and many of the other luxuries of Western life, but the culture differences can still be very hard to deal with! It’s a very stressful experience, and frequently completely overwhelming. I definitely look forward to my daily dose of CO to keep me going!

60. Hey, ALL the cool people end up in the Mod Lounge! And we keep it very, um, not-jail-like. ;)

61. Dittos and Amens. I don’t know why, but these sweet animals and funny comments make tough days better. I don’t comment often, but I’ve been an almost daily visitor for 5 years.

62. ITA with everyone else. 2011 has been a particularly bad year for me and I’ve been battling depression for what feels like forever. It’s amazing what an anerable pic (even with it’s full of disapproval) and some funny hover text can do to lift my spirits. I am so glad this site exists! Thank you!!!

63. Dittoes here, and thanks to Meg and NTMTOM and Sharpy and Pyrit and everyone else, and all the commenters – I too have depression/anxiety, and it’s been pretty pants this winter. CO really helps. I come on here first thing in the morning to start my day off, and come back throughout the day if I need an extra smile.

64. I don’t have problems with depression, but I do come to CO every day and It always makes me so happy. I love our little community too!

65. bob drummond says:

Thank you Wuyzidi ! I didn’t relize that my german was THAT BAD !!!

66. bob drummond says:

Excuse me , I meant to say “May the LORD bless you….” .

67. bob drummond says:

Amen to that . I love them too , Katherine !

68. bookmonstercats says:

I’m sorry to hear that, HRH. My late father suffered from chronic depression, and I have to be careful not to become too tired over a period of time, or I will have a period just like it, and just have to go to bed to sleep it off. It’s not just a case of “just snap out of it” or “just think good thoughts, there’s always someone worse of than you” is it?

And don’t worry about ending up in the Mod Lounge. As T says, all the coolest people go there. It’s got nice furniture, the best cocktails, and plenty of food (honest, we’re not bonkers…. not completely anyway ;)

69. bookmonstercats says:

How do you DO that, with the hearts and everything?

70. bookmonstercats says:

Wow!!111!!!!

71. bookmonstercats says:

God bless, ceejoe.

72. bookmonstercats says:

You and your colleagues are doing a great job, Metz. Bless you all.

73. (pssst: and sometimes we hug.)

74. CO has “been there” for me during the most horrible times of my life, and I appreciate it so much. Even though I don’t comment that often, I am looking every day. My thoughts are with you ceejoe, I know how hard this time is for you. Lots of love to all y’all!! xo

75. What she said. A good laugh or a genuine smile is the best medicine in the world.

76. Mina, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. *hug*

I’d be lost without CO but more than that, I’d be lost without my doglets. They are my joy and my heart. CO understands that.

77. Bless you, ceejoe, and may your mom at last find peace.

78. Ditto!! I can always count on CO to bring a smile to my face, which on some days is a real challenge!!! Great work and so very appreciated.

79. A hearty agreement from me as well. Thanks Meg and all the sender-inners! Turning that page every morning is a great pick me up. Unless it’s a monkey.

80. Amen Espe! This past year was a really rough one for a lot of people I know and also for me. But Teh Qte often put a much needed smile on my face, here’s hoping for a happier and even more cute filled 2012!

81. I’ve struggled with depression in the past, and though my case was comparatively mild it was still awful, I’m sorry for all those who have worse cases. It’s been a rough year, and I had to put my cat Polly to sleep last week, who’d been the faithful companion to me for about 14 years (I got her from a shelter when she was about two) and it was hard for me and my 4 year old son. But coming here, seeing the Cute and reading the hysterically clever captions and wonderful comments always lifts my day up. Thanks to Meg, Pyrit. NTMTOM, and all of the wonderful commentators here. You are all teh awesome!

82. I didn’t even realize how much depression was affecting my life, but thank goodness my doctor stepped in and prescribed a medication that changed everything. Now, I sleep better, cope better and have more energy. Sometimes, you just need the right kind of help.

83. That made my day! Thank you.

84. TrixandSam says:

My aunt just succumbed to complications from Alzheimers and my Dad (her brother) is now on that path. My heart goes out to you, ceejoe. As you said, not a surprise, but still heartbreaking. I’ll take comfort in knowing I can come here and feel supported not only this weekend (aunt’s funeral) but when my Dad’s time comes.
    {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

85. Oh, ceejoe! I’m so sorry to hear about your mom! I hope it comforts you to know that you’re in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you and your family.

86. I’ve suffered from major depressive episodes for most of my life. I’ll be 42 my next birthday, and the first time I remember having what could be called depression was when I was about 14. Sadly, I didn’t seek real help for it until 2003, in part because I struggled with the idea of going on medication. I was afraid that I would have to play pill roulette, and/or that being on medication would affect my creativity. The first meds I went on were literally a miracle for the first year or so, but eventually got to where they didn’t work so well.

It’s an ongoing journey. I’ve tried to wean myself off meds, and brain chemistry can definitely mess with your head–I’ve done some truly stupid things while in medication withdrawal (like quit a job without notice because It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time(tm)). Therapy has done a lot–and I mean a LOT–of good for me. At one point in 2008, I checked myself into a hospital, not because I was feeling overtly self-destructive, but because I just wanted to go to sleep and never wake up again. I mention this because while I was in the hospital, they brought therapy dogs! Squee!

Depression is anything that keeps you from doing what you do. It’s especially been a big problem for me since about the age of 21, and about every 7 years or so, I have a pretty major episode. I’m fortunate in that I have a good support system (my family understands and is supportive and doesn’t try to tell me just to smile and get over it), an awesome therapist, and finally after my last attempt at weaning myself off meds, I accepted that being on meds for my depression is NO different than being on meds for my diabetes.

I’m sharing this story because I have a feeling that it’s probably all too familiar to many of my friends here at CuteOverload–and I do feel that we are friends, brought together by our love of the Cute–and I hope it helps to know that someone else has been there, done that, bought the original cast album. And yes, our ani-pals definitely help, and CuteOverload is a blessing to more people than you (Meg and support staff) could ever possibly know.

Off to enjoy a dessert shot in the mod lounge, no doubt…. :)

87. Mina, wishing your hubby and all who serve a safe return home. *hugs*

88. “Icky-yucks” made me giggle. Because I know exactly what those are. :)

89. I don’t know, but that’s brilliant.

90. I play “The Sims 3″ on my PC, and have thus far avoided any of the add-ons, but I had to get the “Pets” expansion pack, naturellement. I have to admit that I named one of my Sims’ rescue kitties “Waffles!” :)

91. Of course it is heartbreaking, ceejoe. We’re never ready to let our moms go. *hugs*

92. Lillith, so sorry for your loss. Polly will have lots of good company at the Bridge.

93. Lots of love to you Lillith on the loss of Polly.

94. ShadyPurple says:

Heartwarming post. As a person currently going through depression and a rough time right now I understand it and I appreciate the link. I can definitely say the cute pics brighten up anyones day!

95. That’s wonderful! And Waffles is the best name EVAR for a kitteh!

96. I’m crying my eyes out over here! I love you peeps and CO so much. Depression can be excruciatingly lonely. It sounds crazy but I don’t know how I would have made it through the last 5 years without y’all…

97. And what I would pay to give that sad grey kitty a hug right now, poor sweet baby!

98. lol, as a New Yorker I feel obliged to point out Schmuck is Yiddish :)

99. I second that, wuyizidi :D

100. AWW :cry: I am so sorry to hear about your mom, ceejoe :cry: (BIG CYBER HUG) Please accept my condolences and give your furbabies cuddles for me.

101. AWW :cry: I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your dear sweet kitty, Polly, Lillith :cry: (BIG CYBER HUG)

102. I agree with everyone that CO has helped everyone, including me, deal with the loss of dear pets, etc. :D I also want to pass on some advice I have gotten from my chiropractor that taking Vitiamin B can help with depression. The way I look at it, taking vitiamins does help. I take a pill of Vitiamin B12 every morning which helps me to perk up and I do feel better as well :D

103. I agree 100% with you, Katerine and bob drummond :D

104. Same here, ashagato :D I so want to snorgle that grey and white kitty :D

105. Thanks for all the thoughts and hugs. [sniffsniff]

106. Hear, hear.

Details are unnecessary, but when I lost everything I had materially and non-materially, Cute Overload reminded me that joy existed. Those teeny moments gave me what I needed, and I did what I had to do.

So, so grateful.

107. Warm and fuzzy on the outside…warm and fuzzy on the inside! It’s also ‘safe for work’ – aside from the aforementioned strange looks from co-workers. Thank you CO!

108. Yes Teresa I’ve received the same advise, B vitamins especially B6 and B12 are important for nerves and to guard against being depressed. I also had good luck with St. Johns Wort and SAMe which are both vitamin supplements.

109. I’m going to borrow a phrase from Tiny Tim in “A Christmas Carol”:
    ‘God bless us all, everyone…….!!!
    (Which is as true today as it ever was in Victorian England……) :lol: :lol:
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

110. Fird Birfle says:

Noelegy: we luvs u !!! :)

111. For me, I just go to CO and leave out the “news” (which is just BAD news). Those pink kitteh bellehs really go a loooong way toward unicorns and rainbows. :)

112. Ages ago, someone mentioned that they had been in a mental hospital and were cheered by a CO calendar posted.

I’ve had depression pretty much all my life, and are kind of chronically suicidal. I’ve been hospitalized several times for it. Last summer they changed their minds and decided it was not regular depression but bipolar, and gave me bipolar meds and my mood swings have much improved, but I still have some very bad days. But none so bad that I can’t be cheered/amused at least a little by CO.

113. Love that!

114. “Ditto” to what kibblenibble said, in a much more articulate way than I am capable of.

115. I second everyone else, since I’m battling depression/dysthymia as well, and have been for several years. STILL haven’t found a job since February and some days I just feel pretty worthless/purposeless. It’s hard to say what great impact even this small measure of brightness brings not only to me, but to so many.
    Hugs to Ceejoe and Lillith.

116. bob drummond says:

DITTO,TOO !!

117. bob drummond says:

I agree with you Cheshire , “God bless us everyone …..”

118. And yet another thank you to the CO team. As well as the photos and captions, the stories of rescued animals really cheer me up – whatever nasty stuff is going on in the world I can see that there are many wonderful people who will take care of the smallest and weakest.

119. TrixandSam, I’m sorry for your loss and that yet to come. Alzheimer’s is an awful thing. We lost my maternal grandmother to it in 2007. We were very fortunate in that she never experienced any of the personality changes or hostility that some Alzheimer’s patients have. Her personality remained very sweet, just as she’d always been, but she became very forgetful. The saddest thing of all was when she thought my dad was my grandfather (who passed away in 1973) and said to him, “Why aren’t we together anymore?”

I spent the day with her two weeks before she died, and I’ll always be grateful for that day.

120. Something we ALL need to keep in mind: there is ALWAYS someone to talk to, no matter how alone the icky-yucks (thank you, Theresa) make us feel.

121. What a great post! I love Cute Overload; always makes me smile :)

122. Lewis n' Clark says:

Hi ceejoe – my Mom dies this year from Alzheimer’s, too. SHe had it for years, but she never truly lost her personality. One time, I was sitting in her room, and she said “who are you?” it was the phrase I had always dreaded, because she usually recognized us. THen she started laughing, and I knew she was kidding. Wow!

123. don’t know if anyone’s still around here, but i wanted to third the B vitamin endorsement, plus mention vitamin D and omega-3s. taking these supplements daily has literally changed my life and has helped me more than years of antidepressants and therapy combined. if you’re suffering from depresion or even just the blues, i urge you to give them a try!

124. I am glad that the Vitamin B especially B12 (which I use just to boost my energy) is helping you, Lillith :D Not only is Vitamin B good for depression, you don’t get ANY harmful side effects :D

125. What kind of cat is that?! SO ADORABLE!

126. Funny, that’s how I arrived here today. Didn’t feel like being depressed (a ton of lame stuff is happening right now) and I remembered this site. Totally feel better. Animals are amazing.

127. Well said. sometimes it only takes something small to change your perspective and brighten your day. nothing like a cute overload to get you out of bed in the morning. :)

128. …and later to tuck you in at night.

*honkshuh*

129. Wow! I seldom read the posts following the adorable-ness, but I am sending love to everyone reaching out here and those who are offering support. I dealt with/am dealing with the big D since last October, much better now. (Thanks for meds and awesome people in my life) I do check out lots of cuteness here, particularly in the dark winter months.

I add my love and support to those suffering and hurting and fighting right now. Life is beautiful and our smiles can always be found in places like this.

Namaste!!