But Soft, What Light Through Yonder Window Beaks

JULIET (the cat):

‘Tis almost morning; I would have thee gone:
And yet no further than a wanton’s bird;
Who lets it hop a little from her hand,
Like a poor prisoner in his twisted gyves,
And with a silk thread plucks it back again,
So loving-jealous of his liberty.

ROMEO (the bird):

I would I were thy bird.

Sweet, so would I:
Yet I should kill thee with much cherishing.
Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

Real big-deal Shakespeare, suggested by sender-inner Jeff K., photo by Cynthia B.

1. You’re safer over there. I am happier over here.

2. Fird Birfle says:

light through yonder window BEAKS (heh heh)

“And the crowd goes WILD”

“BRAVO, BRAVO!!!”

3. Guinea Peeg Lover says:

If you come in here, it’s sure to happen.

4. Fird Birfle says:

One Tag Suggeshe?? “Danger” or perhaps “Naughtiness”??? ;)

With the door/ window closed, “Impending Doom” might not be appropriate.
    But surely either “Danger” or “Naughtiness” applies.

5. Me thinks that cat be more like Shylock than Juliet.
    And so be wanting his pound of flesh.

6. Blue Footed Booby says:

I misread that as “pound his flesh” and was really, really confused.

7. :lol:

8. Queen of Dork says:

Oh my goodness, how I love Shakespeare! And gentle, gray cats who loveth birds. Nay! Speak me not ill-ith…I meant fowl and whatith notith. ;)

9. Queen of Dork says:

But seriously, Franco Zeffrelli captured the crap out of it all.

10. bookmonstercats says:

Queenie, I couldn’t have expressed it better ;)

11. songbirdnurse says:

Fur realz…

12. My first thought was “Oh look ! a fly up fast food window for the kitty” !
    With the kitty sayin’ : ” Hello…. I ordered fries with that !”

13. One order of wings, comin’ right up!

14. Moi, Actually says:

I’m going to jump right into the “Who Wrote Shakespeare” controversy here.
    Forget, Bacon, Marlowe and de Vere.
    It was NTMTOM.

15. Fird Birfle says:

yay, verily, ’tis so.

16. Tis true!

17. woofy's ma says:

That was great. There are some brilliant writers here. Love it! I agree with Gigi that the bird’s name is more likely Shylock, here for his pound of flesh. He can dream on – that window looks pretty secure.

18. Queen of Dork says:

I LOVE the peeps on here as well as the writers and the moderator. This is the best site on the net. The people who comment are so much chock full of fabulousness it’s just beyond redonk. The commenters on this site cause me to smile and sometimes even all out belly laugh with their intelligent silliness. :)

19. Queen of Dork says:

I meant silliocity.

20. Fird Birfle says:

nice. I like “silliocity”.

21. i agree wholeheartedly, QoD!

22. Less poetic dialogue:

Bird: Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah boo boo, stick your head in doo doo!

23. Queen of Dork says:

24. Refer to the Queen of Dork’s comment above in regards to an “all out belly laugh” :~D

25. The best comedy works on multiple levels. :)

26. Nomedy!

27. What a pane to see each other but be separated….

28. Fird Birfle says:

29. Oh, don’t be putty.

30. Forbidden love, but I thought more ‘A Midsummer’s Night Dream’:

In this same interlude it doth befall
    That I, one Snout by name, present a wall;
    And such a wall, as I would have you think,
    That had in it a crannied hole or chink,
    Through which the lovers, Pyramus and Thisby,
    Did whisper often very secretly.
    This loam, this rough-cast and this stone doth show
    That I am that same wall; the truth is so:
    And this the cranny is, right and sinister,
    Through which the fearful lovers are to whisper.

Wall, that vile Wall which did these lovers sunder;
    And through Wall’s chink, poor souls, they are content
    To whisper. At the which let no man wonder.
    This man, with lanthorn, dog, and bush of thorn,
    Presenteth Moonshine; for, if you will know,
    By moonshine did these lovers think no scorn
    To meet at Ninus’ tomb, there, there to woo.
    This grisly beast, which Lion hight by name,
    The trusty Thisby, coming first by night,
    Did scare away, or rather did affright;

The Beatles recorded The Wall scene for Shakespeare’s 400th:

31. Queen of Dork says:

And also:

Vintery, mintery, cutery, corn,
    Apple seed and apple thorn,
    Wire, briar, limber lock
    Three geese in a flock
    One flew East
    One flew West
    And one flew over the cuckoo’s nest

(I have no idea who wrote that but I think it’s groovy and I really, really like it and think it’s fun to say).

32. For all of us Canucks, Mr. Dressup!

33. My two favorite things together, The Bard and The Beatles!!!!!!!

34. Fird Birfle says:

35. :lol: That bird is lucky he/she did not do that at our place or our male cat, Dooley, would shoot through the cat door and try to catch that bird :lol:

36. Is Juliet a Catpulet or a Montamew?

37. *golf clap*

I once took an English course in nuttin’ but Shakespeare. The professor who taught it was an outright loon, but a lot of fun.

38. P.S. If you haven’t seen “Gnomeo and Juliet,” well, why not? It’s chock-full of Shakespearean puns and references. Although I think I was the only one in the theater who laughed at “Out! Damn Spot…”

39. I snorted soda out of my nose at that line….luckily I was watching the DVD. My cats looked at me like I was crazy, which I am, but I stool got the looks! ;-)

40. Nertz! That shoulda be STILL!

41. The Bird of Catford-Upon-Avian

42. It’s the right play, but I think it’s a different scene.

TABBALT: What wouldst thou have with me?

BIRDCUTIO: Good king of cats, nothing but one of your nine lives; that I mean to make bold withal, and as you shall use me hereafter, drybeat the rest of the eight.

43. Me thinkist the birdy is teasing! You want a piece of me?

My kitty would be pressed against the glass, with pupils the size of quarters!

44. bob drummond says:

I love the way that kitty is looking at that needling bird . That the bird is saying “You want a piece of me ?” is really hillarious ! Good thing for birdie that the window is locked or the theme song might be BYB BYE BIRDIE !!! HEH HEH !