Milky Way

A mother cat. A litter. A precious moment. A… imposter!?
Did you swap your milk money for tater tots at school again, Jeffrey?

Watch out for the mystery meat, Misty C.

Comments

1. Awww, look at the pretty muted calicoes.

2. sabrina rose says:

Good heavens! Where did that fat little fellow come from? Imagine someone practically full grown having the nerve to take food away from a teeny tiny newborn!! Just punishment must take place!

3. This picture makes me miss my sweet calico cat, Dilly. She lived with us back in the 80s and 90s before she passed on. Calico kitties are sooooo pretty!!

4. Way back when I was younger, the cats on our farm would all have their kittens in one area. Meal time was first come first serve. Sometimes there would be a kitten (cat) from the year before sneaking some. The moms didn’t seem to care and all the kittens were healthy, so I guess it worked out.

5. That’s their brother from another litter. :lol:

6. There is always some interloping opportunist out there just waiting to steal your stool at the milk bar.
    LOL

7. Mary (the first) says:

I thought it was one of those ones with a random baby skwerl or something. But that does appear to be a kitteh, although as Gigi says, “from another litter.”

8. Milk it while you can young one.

9. Teeny, Meeny, Miney and Moe…then there’s Minnesota Fats! (But it’s just baby fat!

10. I had a mama kitty who had 7 kittens. All but the runt went to new homes once they were weaned. Shortly after she had another litter of 2, and at feeding time the older brother would join the younger two at the milk bar. He actually got to be pretty big once he was getting more milk. I had supplemented his milk early on, but it must have been better coming from mom.

11. Ha!

12. I’ll just take of that just punishment….*picks up interloper* Who’s a fuffy widdle fuzz-ball? *cough* Carry on.

13. I’m feelin’ for that semi-marmi on the left who ain’t got nuttin’.

14. I think I have seen this picture before where that larger kitten came from another litter and just decided to belly up to the mommy cat milk bar. I believe the larger kitten was removed and put back with his/her own mommy.

15. AWW :cry: I am sorry to hear about your dear sweet kitty, Dilly, Laura :cry:

I know what you mean :D Calico kitties are very pretty :D I saw a light colored calico at a pet store, which is called “Pet Habitat”, in a large mall called “Metrotown” which is located in the city of Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada :D I go there for my kitten fix :D If I had the money and the room, that pet store would be empty of kitties :D

16. kibblenibble says:

Oh my goodness, check out the 9 and 3 ears on the middle baby!

17. Hahaha, I don’t know why, but calling the big kitty “Jeffrey” is just hilarious to me

18. Hey, get out of there you big jerk and let the little guy have his meal! Look at the little guy, he can’t find his meal cause the big guy is in his way!

19. Holly sh*t. Where did that texas size kitten come from? Is this even legal?

20. “Mom doesn’t seem to care” because she’s got her eyes closed. Probably because she is in pain muttering *ow* *ow* *ow* – watch those sharp little claws and teeth babies!

21. One Eyed Daruma says:

What’s the opposite of “runt?”

22. Kudos for that one!

23. all those pretty babys the mother cat has a lot to be blessed with even the big guy it seems right at home

24. Anne Packrat says:

The big guy is mom’s niece or nephew from another litter iirc. Don’t worry! All the kittens including the left out one grew up big and strong.

25. HRH QueenCat says:

ummmm, Grunt ???

26. They are adorable. It remind me of Valium family, when he was born. His mom (Era, ugliest cat I’ve ever seen but made absolutly gorgeous babies) had two daughter Babache and Boubourse from a previous litter and the three of them had their litters at the same time (nine kitten in the house, plus four grown cats, plus a dog, two budgies, one husband and three children, it was quite a menagerie).
    Babache and Boubourse were nursing their kittens… and their mother nursed her two big daughters at the same time than her babies. We had to separate them because poor Era was exhausted.

27. A whole basket full of snorgling! What more can you ask for.

28. The picture cuts Mom’s ears off, but she kind of looks like a Scottish Fold to me.

29. I’ve had a couple of cats who went on nursing well into adulthood, even when they weren’t getting any milk out if the deal.

30. double kudos Gigi

31. Lol, I wanna know why that particular kitty is so much bigger!

32. Ha! Jeffrey is 3 kittens wide.

33. Fird Birfle says:

oooo victoreia’s punishment is HARSH indeed; scares ME …… ;)

34. Fird Birfle says:

“I’m not fat, I’m just Fluffy :)

35. Fird Birfle says:

8-O

36. snoopysnake says:

No one has mentioned the adorable PEEEEEEEENK feetsies on the 2 kittiebabies at the left. And why no CO enhance on them? Huh?

37. Fird Birfle says:

I hereby declare “Interloper” to be the vocabulary word du jour.

38. One of these things is not like the others….

39. That tickled my fancy, too. :D

I think TUM is correct; these do look like Scottish Folds…look at the folded ears on Jeffrey!

Which makes me think of Jethro Tull and “Song For Jeffrey” and lead singer/flutist/stander-on-one-leg Ian Anderson’s love of cats. “Song For Jeffrey” has nothing to do with cats; it’s just how my brain works.

40. Yours is one of the comments which nearly caused me to snort aloud at work. :D

41. I have a photo of a teenaged Murphy attempting to nurse on brother-from-another-litter Niko, and Niko wearing an expression that can only be described as resignment.

42. Anyone else thinking of Baby Huey?

43. Did anyone else cringe at the improper use of “a”???

btw, CO, it should be “an” imposter….

44. Calicos are extra-special because they’re two cats in one body. ;-)

45. Heehee! Sounds anerable!

46. how to know whether to use “A” or “An”

if the word after it starts with a vowel you use “an”, if the word after it starts with a consonant you use “a”.

Examples
    an apple
    a banana

Now if I could only find an easy trick to know when to use who and whom, I would be all set.

47. I knew that I remembered that picture, but forgot about the story behind it :D Thank you, Anne Packrat, for repeating the story :D

48. :lol: “Texas size kitten” :lol: I will remember that :lol: That bigger kitten looks about 3 weeks older than the other ones, K & M :lol:

49. And “Holly sh*t” had me simultaneously laughing and wincing…I know what you meant, but meowch!

50. I can help!

You only use “whom” in an instance where you couldn’t put a verb following it. To further elucidate…

“Noelegy, who has five cats, is a regular commenter at Cuteoverload.com.”

You wouldn’t use “whom” here, because of the verb. Does that make sense?

“Noelegy, to whom five cats have gravitated, is a regular commenter at Cuteoverload.com.”

It’s why we say, “To whom it may concern.” “Whom” is receiving action; “Whom” isn’t acting.

I’ll have to ask my English teacher mom for a short and sweet rule on that.

51. random dog person says:

German lessons have it best. “Whom” is used when you would use “who” but it is being acted upon by a subject.
    Example that may make sense only to me:
    In the sentence “Carly will talk to Kayla.” Carly is the subject and Kayla is being acted upon by Carly. In the question “To whom is Carly speaking?” Carly is still the subject, but the object being acted upon is unknown.
    I hope this helps, but if it didn’t, your still better than many I know in grammar.

52. random dog person says:

*you’re*
    kinda hypocritical to be speaking about grammar and still messing up, isn’t it

53. My oldest cat tried nursing on ME for the first year of his life. I couldn’t do anything without a cat attached to my earlobe all that first year. lol

54. Wow, I’m happy that everyone’s happy here at CuteOverload.

55. Eh, I hope Jeffrey doesn’t have two more kittens underneath him. :o

56. I’d tell you, but I’d end up in the lounge ;)

57. asha’s eight and still nurses on my ear when she gets a bit out of sorts, kneads my hair and purrs like crazy… i think it’s adorable but it grosses my husband right out, he gets mad and leaves the room!

58. Probably coz it’s from her previous litter….;-D

59. Fird Birfle says:

From Will Rogers:

People’s minds are changed through observation and not through argument.
    Will Rogers

60. The Little Myrmidon says:

I had a sealpoint Siamese (male) that must have been taken from his mom too soon, because he tried to nurse from my older, completely unrelated lilac point male. That continued for nearly a year, until the two were separated for about 3 weeks.

61. I had a Calico cat that had one kitten, a male. And she dearly loved him. She would groom and nurse him constantly. A few months later she had another sole birth, a female. She would leave the little alone on the floor and run to care for her big guy, who (by now) was just as big as she was! BTW, his name was Ninny Baby! Our female dog, Tipsy, would also nurse kittens and she didn’t even have any milk! But they would nurse away! She would wash them so much their fur would be sticking up all over the place!

62. Once in a while, a cat will have whats called a ‘Water Kitten’, it is born MUCH bigger than the rest, and they usually do not make it because the momma has trouble giving birth to it. They tend to suffocate in the womb. It’s awesome that this chubster lived though.

Sorry for the downer…

63. Form my experience, I’d say that cats find the action of nursing soothing and comforting well after the point where they need it for nourishment. All my grown cats over the years have nursed on fuzzy blankets. I find it very surprising that some people are grossed out it. I always give my cats/kittens their own small blankets for comfort from the time they are adopted. Even after a thorough washing, the blankets retain enough scent for the cats to recognize their personal security blankets.

My last cat preferred to be held in my arms as he nursed on his blanket. My brother-in-law seemed pretty freaked out by it when he saw it, as if maybe I was getting some kind of… satisfaction from the activity. I am always surprised that many people have never seen a full grown cat nursing on a blanket to express comfort and happiness. Though the BIL has had cats much of his adult life, I guess he has never seen his own cats do it.

Sucking on an earlobe? I hadn’t heard that one. Funny. It’s obvious what I’ve heard is true, that adopted cats see their owner as the “momma kitty”. I would never consider it odd or weird.