Doe Unto Others

Photos that have been making the rounds – check out the latest trend in good deed deer delivery detail duties.

These four photographs are bound to elicit an “awwww” from most of you.

Really deer, the guest services do seem a little stag-nant on the Li-doe deck.

Passing the buck – you’re doing it right, Mister.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thank you, Eddie B., for the most endeering CO racks post yet.

Comments

1. lucy's mommeh says:

Well, I haven’t seen these before..what is going on here?

2. Oh my stinkin’ gosh!

3. I have loved Sitka deer for so long. I love seeing them here!

4. The poor little dear dears, I’m so glad the people decided to help.

5. Like the third pic: ‘take the next right, Jeeves’, and the dainty hoofies of the 4th.
    Hamazing how the deer knew they’d be helped.

6. Wow. Those are good people right there. Well done and glad the critters are okay.

7. Helps prop up my much-tattered faith in humans.

8. so awesome!! love this story! thank you for posting it!

9. earlybird1 says:

Agreed! I got a little chokey over this post!! And it’s not just teh PMS, I swear. *shifty eyes* The idea that wild deer would seek out human help in a moment of distress is alone a significant event, and THEN the humans responded with such compassion and care! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, *sobbing melty mess of love for the world* Yes, it’s definitely PMS. But I’m sure I’m not alone!!

10. I guess humans aren’t so bad after all. Pic #2 is my fave !

11. earlybird1 says:

I am also downing a pint of Ben & Jerry’s while simultaneously indulging in a glass of merlot, so… yeah. Take my comments as you will. *relegates self to observing status only.*

12. What a beautiful post. Thank you.

13. What are they doing in the ocean in the first place?

14. baileysgrandmom says:

I guess they were looking for some friendly hoomins to fawn over them…

15. Sweet! Wondering how they wound up in the water too, but so glad they’re rescute!

16. laurielou2 says:

Hear, hear!!!

17. such acts of kindness! i’m all weepy now. thank you, wonderful hoomans!

18. Some bacon in puff pastry in the Mod Lounge, perhaps? :D

19. 260Oakley says:

Whew! So glad a passing hoofercraft was ready to pick them up. Doing the buckstroke in cold water can be very tiring.

20. I found a little more info on this story.

21. Theresa, you crack me up. I so look forward to your comments.

22. Ohhh!! I’m not in moderation, but may I?? Also, here is a manchego stuffed date wrapped in bacon while we’re on the bacon theme.

23. Desperate ani-pals do desperate things. So sad. But thanks to the animal loving Alaskans to the rescute!!

24. We had a home in Alaska. I love Alaskans — though I can’t count myself as one. They will kill ‘em and eat ‘em, but they are responsible stewards of wildlife and any animal (or human) in distress will receive only the most gentle, respectful care. I am a huge fan.

25. I agree. They knew.

26. You’re not alone. Stuffs spoonfuls of Ben and Jerrys in mouth and washes it down with a madras (vodka and oj and cranberry)

27. *smacks Oakley upside the head for punning on a clearly emotional post and then apologizes*

28. earlybird1 says:

Ah thank you my kind friends. Bacon makes everything better… MUNCH. And think of all the Vitamin C you’re getting, Dash! ;)

29. Perhaps they were out having a good time and got lost?

30. oh great, now I want a Sitka deer in a wheelbarrow….

31. 260Oakley says:

I assure you my first thought on reading this post was: “If I had been on that boat I would have been passing out blankies and hot chocolate.” But I don’t want the peeps to know that the Oak is a softie. ;)

32. SlavetoCat says:

OMG they forgot to go back and pull Santa and the Sleigh out of the water.
    Save Santa before Christmas is ruined!!

33. earlybird1 says:

PBBTHPTHBTHHPTHT!! Thanks, I just snorted tea all over my keyboard. LOLOL!!!

34. OMG – how in the world did you get these deer out of the water and into the boat ? The amount of energy and time you devoted to God’s pets was enormous. The blessed photo of all 4 babies huddled at the side of the boat is precious. Thank you for sharing this adventure.

35. Opus already got ‘em out :-)
    2:59:

(and 6:38 for ‘ALLLbatross’!)

36. SlaveToCat says:

That boat was sailing over the North Pole looking for Polar Bears, Reindeer, Elves, and Santa ………. Thank you Mr Global Warming. ;)

37. Maybe his “belly of jelly” kept him floating? :-)
    And I think the sleigh would float like a cork from all the magic of the toys that the elves made, right? :-)

38. *sniff* Beautiful creatures and wonderful humans. *sniff*

39. Evidently I am in moderation! Garcon??

40. I’ll take any excuse I can get!!

41. ooh, very nice. i’ve got a lovely paella going for a midnight refection (tres recherché!)

42. Oooh, Sharpy has paella! I’ll whip up a batch of sangria and join you gals in a moment…

43. Sammy2121 says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! that was genius. you have made my day :3

44. Sammy2121 says:

there’s not gonna be a christmas this year if they only found the reindeer…

45. I call matchingks on all the humans, and even their boat.

46. I’m in the mod lounge… Don’t have the doe to buy anything.

47. There’s water falling from my eyes. Thank you sweet Hoomans.

48. your credit’s fine. what’ll it be? a little hair of the dog?

49. Pic #2 is my fave also. Don’t they look relaxed.

50. Hey mod loungers, who’s up for sake? http://www.yaegakiusa.com/

51. Yes. It’s stories like this that keep us all going. *wipes tears*

52. Too late!! You’re SOOOOOOO busted.

53. Mary (the first) says:

Just what I was thinking..

54. Mary (the first) says:

I think we had guessed that already.

55. These photos are from upper Washington state along the Hood Canal (not Alaska), and the boat rescued the swimming deer and took them back to shore. I saw the picture and story posted in a coffee shop in Hoodsport over Labor Day. Quite a heartwarming rescue!

56. Third Shift says:

But, how did they get into the water in the first place? I can see it now, one little deer says, “Straight ahead guys, I know *exactly* where it is!” Imagine the stink-eye back on dry land.

57. Fird Birfle says:

Wot I like best about pic # 2 is trying to determine whether pyrit intends us to believe that the dear DEER were distressed, or that the HOMINIDS were “distressed”. Most likely both, I think; since obvy these are compassionate, spiffy Resqte Hominids.

58. Fird Birfle says:

hee hee hee “the doe” to buy anything…..heh heh

59. Queen of Dork says:

ME! (and sushi).

60. Queen of Dork says:

I really, really hope this will play and not be all, “NO! You absolutely, positively cannot embed this to share with your friends for ANY reason whatsoever, by order of the FBI! So THERE!”

61. Queen of Dork says:

Yay!

62. Fird Birfle says:

YAY for Q and for “Doe, a deer” !!!!

63. SlaveToCat says:

I’ve got a couple of extra Bucks in my pocket to get you through. Where is that canteen truck and Drinks cart gone off too.

64. I second that.

65. Queen of Dork says:

I third that!

66. Queen of Dork says:

Or as our dear Theresa might say it herself being that she’s living in Brooklyn and what not, “I toid dat.” (that was kinda hard to try to type in a Brooklyn accent).

67. DONE. [wrapping nori]

68. I was thinking the same thing about the blankies!!! The hot chocolate is a really nice touch too!! Just very glad they are safe!! Thank you to those humans who helped!!!

69. Was the photo identical to one of these, or might we be dealing with separate incidents. This blog post http://www.deadliestcatchfan.com/forum/topics/alaskian-fishermen-rescue from almost a year ago has the same photos and roughly the same story as given here, with very specific names and places saying it’s in Alaska, even down to the names of the people in the photos. I’m not saying someone couldn’t take photos from a Washington state incident and make up a very detailed story out of whole cloth to fit them, I’m just asking if you’re sure.

70. Semi-mistake on my part; the incident was OVER a year ago — date given is 10/8/10; however, the post itself was less than a year ago — 12/10/10.

71. Queen of Dork says:

(nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom)

72. Queen of Dork says:

Ray! A drop of golden sun….

73. What is up with deer water rescues lately? I saw the recent Washington story in the news. But these photos are from the earlier Alaska event and that is Tom Sartre’s boat, the Alaska Quest, and that’s Captain Tom pushing the wheel barrow.

74. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I knew someone would find the story and post. Many thanks. Lucky deer, kind humans. My kind of story.

75. Are they drugged up? What deer would lay down in a wheel barrow? Seriously…

76. Dang…trouble with chopsticks and accidentally flung sushi on the floor where it was promptly devoured by my cat assortment.

Anybody got any extra sushi…and a fork?

77. Maybe the Mod Lounge can start serving tea, a drink…with jam and bread.

78. Fird Birfle says:

(Only thing lacking — which is a Footnote, at this point :)

would be a Tag for “Hoofers” !!!)

79. Fird Birfle says:

The hovertext includes some explanation about that; the deers’ exhaustion and shock after the strenuous incident in the oceans. Maybe your computer’s mouse isn’t prompting the hovertext…I don’t recall, which photo’s hovertext included this observation, though.

80. Fird Birfle says:
  81. Fird Birfle says:

Saffron:
    you ARE aware, are you not, that The Sushi Incident was ENTIRELY plotted out in advance, BY the Cat Assortment???

— ps: heh heh The Cat Assortment heh heh very nice Saffron!!

82. Fird Birfle says:

ooooo very nice.

I never thought, before. “Doe” = “dough” and “Buck” = “bucks” !!!!
    Who’da thunk it??? Delightful wordplay heah.

83. Amazing. Just amazing. I do hope they found someplace nice to bed down and warm up. Sitka deer are so beautiful. These guys sure were lucky.

And can you imagine what the deer in the wheel barrow is thinking? “Thanks for the lift sir. I’ll never sign up for a triathlon again.”

84. Berkeley Breathed is a genius!

85. Loving the “Hitchhiker’s Guide…” reference here!!!!!! (“So long and thanks for all the fish…”)

86. That actually got me in the Christmas mood.

87. Yes mine too! They are all “thanks for the lift, guys”. Sniff, Sniff – feeling a little choked up here.

88. They look a little young to be out partying like that….

89. I was wondering that, too. Last time I checked, deer weren’t aquatic ani-pals

90. omgosh Ben & Jerry’s & Merlot sounds amazing… thanks for the idea :)

91. You must be correct, Pyrit also — the Hoodsport Washington event was this summer, but I didn’t know about the Alaska one last year. Thanks!

92. Good question. It could just be coincidence (it usually is) but if it’s a trend, it could be that deer and people are coming into more contact (probably because we’re invading their territory) and so we notice this sort of thing more. Or it could be that the deer are under stress — overpopulation, habitat loss — and going to more extremes to find new territory. I’d speculate that in any area with lots of water, animals who can swim may do so routinely, as a way of escaping an area they no longer want to be in, in the hopes that the grass is greener on the other side of the water. But you’d think they wouldn’t set out unless they could see how far it is and are sure they can make it. Maybe they misjudged a current. A deer would have no way to know if there’s a strong cross-current.

93. And I fourth it!

94. Dadgum, I can’t believe I missed the bacon party – I LOVE bacon!

That’s what I get for not getting on the internets all weekend . . .

95. I wondered the same – glad to know that they were rescued tho. Yay for good-hearted hoomins!

96. What a marvelous story! This is the first best thing I have seen and read all week, and it is only Monday! That leaves plenty of time for lots more beautiful random acts of kindness. :)

97. Smart deer + good humans = awesome story. Thanks for sharing, Belle – I was wondering what was going on here!

98. It is footage from the famous German film “Does Boot.”

99. Boats ‘n’ racks

100. I just had to let you know that “God’s pets” totally melted this atheist’s heart! <3

101. Deer do sometimes swim, but usually just short distances from island to island or across some water body. Maybe these guys got caught in a current or something.

102. I agree :D Poor things must of been so tired out they did not care where they went so long as they could get out of that water :D

103. dub1- I feel like he’s saying the same thing…”not left! right Jeeves! Right!!”

I love hearing stories about folks rescuing anipals.

104. skippymom says:

I heard somebody on the radio last weekend talking about putting super-fancy olive oil on super-rich ice cream, with a sprinkling of coarse salt. It sounded awesome. Can we try this in the lounge?

105. And a Douglas Adams reference at the end!

106. FTW!

107. Imagine how brave you must be as a deer to implore humans for help. You would never know whether you were approaching a helper human or a hunter. Glad they found helpers.

108. I see what you did thar…

109. Had to see if I could find more info on this story. Here’s a more detailed write up:

110. Almost all of the information is there in the links. One click and you’ll get the full story.

111. LOLOL