Bravely Bold Sir Late Alot

Stand aside! I have come to trick or treat! Forsooth, where is the sacred candy I seek?! All that awaits me here is rocks. My liege, has my quest across the length and breadth of the land been for nothing?

All we have are leftover raisins and some pretzels, Marie D.

1. I swear this is straight out of Mouseguard.

2. Mouseguard!! Hurrah!!

3. Another fan? Cool. I love how bad-a$$ but adorable those little guys are. And somewhat educational!

4. I wonder what’s in the mini keg?

5. me too :) Mead? beer??

6. Mead’s not the Mod Lounge style, except on SCA Night. :P

7. OK, nerd stripes showing here, but I think we can easily set up a D&D table in there. Ruleset 3.5, anyone? Got a fairly unusual dwarf paladin now, who wins drinking games…

8. LunaChickFringe says:

OMG my hubby would play D&D with you in a heart beat! He has TONS of role playing books and no one to play with! LOL!

9. okay, i didn’t play D&D with the cool kids, so i could be doing this all wrong, but “i approach the dwarf and offer to buy him a drink.”

10. Bring out your dead! ‘I’m feeling better . . . ‘ (thwack)
    p.s.: the kilt kills me

11. In the Mod Lounge for a Pythonism, snackin’ on pretzels and raisins . . .

12. blancmange? a bucket?

13. Fird Birfle says:

KILT kilt dub1 — & me, also.

14. Dub FTW!!!!! Love that movie:)

15. I think I’ll go for a walk!

16. You’re not fooling anyone, you know.

17. Fird Birfle says:

hee hee yep that *leettle, teeny* line wuz there too-hoo!!!! :)

18. I feel happy!

19. @CDee and Teeho: ROFL! And indeed, I feel happy.
    And true dat: one of the the greatest motion pix of ALL TIME.
    ‘Must be a king.’

20. Fird Birfle says:

obligatory rejoinder (incompletely quoted here, in order not to shock the sheep).
    “Why? [must that person be the king]

” ‘e ‘asn’t got s**t all over ‘im….”

21. Fird Birfle says:

@ CathyDee: heh heh heh.

One of the most silly yet greatest motion pix of ALL TIME.

22. Sharon Wilson says:

LOVE the kilt!

23. But, but… do people really not know the difference between turtles and tortoises?

24. Fird Birfle says:

Ah dunno. But I think they’re *BOTH* adorab’s .

25. They need to watch Parry Gripp’s “Turtle (Dude, that’s a tortoise)” video on youtube, such a catchy song and educational too.

26. Guinea Peeg Lover says:

I would give that little tortoise some of my leftover candy from Halloween, as I have about 10 bags of it left.

27. Fird Birfle says:

I’m not astonishingly versed in the whole Halloween Loot thang; however perhaps the following might prove amusing to somebody?

— On one of the morning news headlines programs the morning after H’ween, they
    were consulting with some Kid Consultants, regarding strategies of H’ween Resource-Sharing. One kid pointed out, that when he returns to his home for the night (relatively early), he sorts all his loot into “Good Stuff” & “Crappy Stuff” (my wording, not his) …THEN dumps all the “Crappy Stuff” into the container from which his
    parents are dispensing candy at his own home to the later trick/treaters.

Win/ win !!!!

28. Martha in Washington says:

OMG! We do the same thing! :)

29. Fird Birfle says:

30. victoreia says:

*drops jaw* *picks jaw up off floor* Okay, now I have seen everything! 8-O

31. Lewis n' Clark says:

what is he wearing under his kilt? I have always wondered…

32. Nothing under the kilt is worn, it’s all in perfect working order!

33. HAW!

34. bob drummond says:

Sir tortoise doesn’t really need to wear a kilt, it’s only “window dressing “!

35. Nothin’ more than what God graced him with upon his birth. :mrgreen:

36. That’s the oddest looking horse…
    …either too much or not enough feed…

37. On! On, my noble steed!

38. bob drummond says:

39. clippity

40. Is this Redonk Absurdist Tortoise Week on CO?

41. Fird Birfle says:

I hope so !!! :)

Go Absurdist Tortoises, GO GO GO!!!!

42. *waving pompoms*

43. bob drummond says:

44. Katherine the Great says:

I’m fairly certain that that yon tortoise is up at the Minnesota Ren Faire. He’s pretty awesome.

45. earlybird1 says:

My thoughts exactly, me lady. Looks just like our beloved Ren Fest.

46. I think I am going to refer to everything as “yon” today…

47. Yondah lies da castle of my faddah….

48. bookmonstercats says:

Hah, Saffron. I love that one.

49. earlybird1 says:

Wait, doesn’t “hither” mean “here?” And “thither means “there?” As in, “hither and thither?” I just want to make sure before I go substituting all my prepositions today.

50. Doesn’t he live on Sam Hill? :P

51. Queen of Dork says:

I thought it was hither and yon. Or thither and John. Or something like that. Isn’t it hither and yon? Now my tongue hurts. 8O

52. Fird Birfle says:

As a Seargent in the Grammar Military, I feel fairly comfortable assuring you in those usages, without having checked my sources.

Be aware, however, that these bits o’ language originate from Ye Olde Englishe
    (which FURTHER originates from nearly everywhere, including but not limited to Latin) ….so there could be variant cases, in which other rules applied (or didn’t apply, as the particular moment might be relevant…)

53. Fird Birfle says:

heh heh

54. This is all kinds of awesomeness. and … and… and.. I am struck speechless!

55. HE is Rocking that KILT!

56. Braveheart…is that you?

57. Beccasmurf says:

No Sir, ’tis Braveshell!

58. victoreia says:

59. Cholmondeley says:

Och aye, it’s a wee Scots tortoise, is it not? Showing the tartan of Clan McChelonid.

60. earlybird1 says:

AHHHHHHHHAHAHAHA! I forgot about this one! Groun’skeeper Willie is my favorite!!

61. Cholmondeley says:

It’s instructive to be awaiting moderation. All my life I have awaited moderation but have generally been immoderate.

62. earlybird1 says:

63. :lol:

64. CariceLaur says:

I’ve always marveled at this fabulous character at the RenFest in Shakopee, MN. I love the little leprechaun on on the wagon. So cute! This is a very happy tortoise, always surrounded by adoring fans and given plenty of love. Quite a celebrity! I’d love to see it with a gypsy wagon!

65. He’s there every year with the Minnesota Herpetological Society, which helps educate the public and protect reptiles and amphibians in Minnesota. He’s a big draw at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival (or RenFest, as the locals call it). HUZZAH!

66. Yet another animal that can probably kick my arse for me.

67. Okay Mina, your little kitty in the pop-tarts box gravatar is beyond adorable.

68. bob drummond says:

KICK YOUR WHAT ???????????

70. Martha in Washington says:

Ummm…how does he reach that steak knife on his back? Kilts are COOL!!! On any species!

71. starlinguk says:

As are bowties and fezzes.

72. Martha in Washington says:

73. I’ll probably be attacked from all sides for saying this … but I actually feel quite distressed when I see animals dressed up for people to laugh at.

74. I’m with you Jean. I felt bad about this one.

75. 260Oakley says:

I won’t attack you, I’ll simply reference Shannon’s helpful information: “He’s there every year with the Minnesota Herpetological Society, which helps educate the public and protect reptiles and amphibians in Minnesota.”

This is a tortoise with a purpose… and iron-clad dignity to boot!

76. bob drummond says:

Okay , I’ll agree with that …” a tortoise with a purpose …”. Yeah Baybee !

77. A tortoise with a porpoise?!? This I GOTTA see!

78. A tortoise with a porpoise holds the brew that is true.

79. bob drummond says:

No, I think it;s the Chalice FROM the Palace !!
    Check with Danny Kaye …

80. And don’t forget the chalice with the palace. :P

81. WIN!

82. luvstehQte says:

i think i see there a flagon with a dragon…

83. No, no! It’s the vessel with the pestle!

84. LoL…..Funny!

85. bob drummond says:

You all know that whenever a turlle/tortoise story shows up I’ll always stick my ten cents in !!

86. flutter-by says:

Hee hee, privacy kilt….the whole get-up is a riot. Lurve the bell ringing as the rig lurches on and the detailing is exquisite! (i’m sure I have repeated what someone already said…if so, sowwy!)

87. Megumi's Mom says:

I don’t know if this is the same tortoise, but I’ve seen one dressed as Antuin (the Discworld Turtle) and with a Dalek on her back and followed by Daleks on strings.

No one is laughing AT the tortoise at these scifi conventions she goes to… she’s quite the celebrity, since some of US are in costume as well. She seems to enjoy the attention. (as in just standing there, rather than just wandering off, as people tell her how awesome her costume is, and getting petted.)

88. Love the Daleks one (link below: ‘she’s GOT a badge!’), but as a Disc-ophile, if anyone has a pic of the A’tuin one, kindly post!
    Thanks, peeps!

89. 8O

90. Um, is that, um…real?

91. Fird Birfle says:

@ marthava:
    Around here, it might help, if you defined the term *REAL* :)

92. Megumi's Mom says:

I didn’t make it to the Convention with the Dalek outfit, but I saw the Antuin one at Oddcon a year or two ago… and of course did NOT get a photo. (but why? maybe because I was in the art show or a panel when I saw her? )

93. psst, the Daleks are just toys: the REAL ones are much larger, noisier and meaner. Their arch-enemy is Mr. Bean and a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

95. Ha ha! Thanks for the ‘fishyfins’ link; glad to hear the model got a strawberry for bearing the Discworld [and elephants] on her shell.

96. Megumi's Mom says:

I did find (same tortoise different cosplay… I didn’t even see this one while I was there)

and but it’s not the same tortoise.

and an amigurumi Antuin (Planet June is an awesome fiber artist…)
    Amigurumi Discworld view 2

I’m also searching through my x-years of photos tagged “oddcon” and now I’m wondering if it was a different con? and now I’m wondering if somehow I imagined it… but my sister says she saw her too!

97. kibblenibble says:

Sorry for the threadjack, friends. I need your good thoughts or prayers for my big grey boy, George. He has bladder stones, and he’s only three and a half. Some can be treated through a change in diet, some need surgery. We are trying to determine which kind he has. He is my love…I need your good wishes. <3

98. My three fur babies & I are sending good thoughts your & Georges’ way!

99. Warm, healing Skippyvibes to George!

100. kibblenibble, I sent you good wishes but they are in moderation. Anyway, I’m thinking of you and George.

101. kibblenibble says:

Thanks to all for the love and support for me and George. Skippymom, that’s funny that your wishes got moderated. But I hear that the lounge is a pretty fun place to be these days! I’ll update you all when I know more about Georgie. <3

102. Purrs to you and George, kn!

103. Poor little feller. Big purrs and good wishes to sweet George and you.

104. Oh no Kibblenibble. I’m so sorry about George! I hope he gets better quickly. Poor little trooper. Healing thoughts are speeding your way from Virginia…

105. JLAmusings says:

Prayers & good wishes sent your way, Georgie-boy!

106. Queen of Dork says:

kibblenibble, I’m sending you and George prayers and the kind of thoughts that cause a whole bunch of healing laughter. :) Please kiss George for me and pet him on his head for me!

107. Megumi's Mom says:

sending happy healing thoughts…

108. kibblenibble says:

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. It looks like we may be able to dissolve George’s bladder stones with a diet change, perhaps avoiding the necessity of surgery. Wish us luck. ♥

109. Sending many many many many good wishes and prayers to George and kibblenibble <3 <3 <3 <3

110. This is hilarious! And yet through it all, the tortoise maintains its dignity. I love tortoises!

111. The turtle has no choice. Dignity is hard-plated right on.

112. They have it welded on at birth.

113. just watch where you wax off

114. earlybird1 says:

Well said!

115. flutter-by says:

Hee hee Teho!

Sending prayers up for George’s health and strength for kibblenibble!!

116. You guys, a weird thing happened yesterday. On my way home I stopped by our animal hospital to ask a question. When I came out and was about to get in my car I noticed a crate in the parking lot by the corner of the building. In it was a little terrier, wearing a serious-looking muzzle and a red sweater. He was shivering hard. Nobody was nearby. I went back in and asked the receptionist whether he was supposed to be out there. She didn’t know what I was talking about, and she and two nurses came out. They took him inside, saying they didn’t know who he was or why he was there by himself. He had what looked like ID tags on his sweater, so I hope they could figure out whose dog he was. All last night and today I’ve been thinking about the little guy and wondering why he was left there alone and what happened to him after I left.

117. kibblenibble says:

Aww. I wonder if someone fell on hard times, couldn’t care for him, and left him there hoping someone would take him in? Anyway, they will take care of him, skippymom. Thank goodness you spotted him. I know how you feel, I’d still be worrying, too. Let us know if you hear what happens with him.

118. earlybird1 says:

Oh this makes me sad! And glad! Glad that you were there to notify the wonderful peeps inside, who will undoubtedly give him love and care. SAD for the wee shivering sweatered sweetie. SOB. I would have hugged and petted him if I’d been there! Thank you for getting out of your car and investigating!!!

119. bob drummond says:

God bless you Skippymom ! That is what being a good samaritan is all about- helping others when they need it most !

120. bob drummond says:

And yes ,Kibblenibble, I too am praying for George’s health problem too !!!

121. I think the Tortoise is pretty cool with it’s ensemble. It’s the animals that are obviously uncomfortable / endangered that bother me, but these tortoises, they seem to like what they’re doing. Obviously, the Dalek Tortie has encountered automatic doors before!! (Anyone else wish there was a tardis instead of a dalek on the shell?)

Hugs for you, Kibblenibble, sending good thoughts your and Georgie’s way.

122. earlybird1 says:

I LOVE this place. I love how people are so accepting of being detoured without warning to the Mod Lounge. I love the buffet style dining that occurs there. And how good-natured those in the mod lounge are about their temporary plight. It is not always so on other blogs/websites, let me assure you. Another WIN for Cute Overload Culture!! :D Where humor and lightheartedness prevail!! HUZZAH!

123. :mrgreen:

124. Queen of Dork says:

Dang. The kilt kilt me ded.

125. Fird Birfle says:

Q — Nurse Birfle attempted to resuscitate (sp?) you, with the Hello Kitty Defibrithingamajig but the Moderashun Machine has her hung up in red tape, temporarily.

126. Nurse Birfle says:

OH NO YOU DON’T, Q !!
    We at CO wouldn’t survive three minnits without our Beloved Nurse Stef.
    Nobody could fill your squeaky Nurse shoes or your starched Nurse Cap.

*Applies Hello Kitty defibrithingamajig to revive Her Majesty*
    *Tucks ferret under Q’s throat as a throat warmer*

*Sets enormous jar of tulips, dandelions and Queen Anne’s Lace on bedside table*
    *Sets mp-3 gadget thingamajig to programmed Disco Ball Music*
    *Begins Disco Ball, spinning on its string*

*carries squeaky-toy plush animal, and squeeze it, as I leave the room *
    *Sets mp-3 gadget thingamajig to programmed Disco Ball Music*

*carries squeaky-toy plush animal, and squeeze it, as I leave the room *
    so — at least — it will SOUND as though I’m walking in squeaky Nurse shoes*

*close door to room, behind me; exit into the hallway*

127. Fird Birfle says:

*Sets enormous jar of tulips, dandelions & Queen Anne’s Lace on bedside table*
    *Sets mp-3 gadget thingamajig, to programmed Disco Ball Music*

*carries squeaky-toy plush animal; squeezing it, as I leave the room *
    *close door to room behind me, and go out into the hall *
    , so — at least it will SOUND as though I’m walking in squeaky Nurse shoes

128. Fird Birfle says:

oh YAY I”ve been released from Mod. If the Ed’s are feeling ever so indulgent, and would consider removing the 7:11 item, which didn’t come out correctly — that would be the hot fudge on my sundae!!! If not, oh well and thanks anyhow for releasing the other from mod.

129. Queen of Dork says:

*comes to a little bit*

huh? where am I? Oh! tulips! Thanks, Fird!

130. *spritzes Queenie with some lavender-smelling stuff*

131. Queen of Dork says:

Lavendar. ummmmmmmmmmmm. *drools*

132. Fird Birfle says:

you’re entirely welcome, ma’am!!

There’s actually more, to my description, in the original note, but it’s presently still
    in the Mod Lounge ….

*pours out some Sprite and gets out a MoonPie for Q*

133. For anyone who’s worried about the dignity of dressed-up torties. Many, many torts love attention. I have one who comes when called, waits at the back door to be let in, and visits summer camp and leads kids on a merry walk through the woods. He also used to pick on my late cat. Babylon (cat) would be munching grass. Buddy (tort) would stomp up behind and goose cat. Babylon would get all in a snit and bound off, stopping about 6 ft away. Buddy would stomp stomp stomp stomp, goose. This could go on all the way around the yard or until Babylon went racing off for the front yard. Buddy absolutely knew what he was doing. He also flirts with pretty girls in sandals. Torts have the wisdom of the ages and the humor of children. They are the best!

134. Queen of Dork says:

This is such a lovely story, Leslie. I can picture Buddy and Babylon. I’m going to think about this when I go to bed tonight so that I will have pleasant, happy dreams!

135. The Tortoise and the Chair

136. Oh, that’s Angus the warrior tortoise! At least, I’m pretty sure that one’s Angus. There’s another one who’s similarly dressed. They both appear at the Minnesota Renaissance festival each year.