Ayup… (nibble, nibble)

Alfalfa’s comin’ up nicely this yee-ah… And so’s the buckwheat.

Harry D. says: “Taken on holiday in Canada, squirrels are extra chunkalicious over there…”

1. awww!!Since there’s no comment yet, I have to lend my support to this little fella

3. i thought that’s what we were doing in the Mod Lounge *crunch munch*

4. Hey, I brought salsa verde…

5. Whee! It’s Fiesta in El Salón de Moderación

6. Fird Birfle says:

*adjusting my old-age hearing trumpet*

Did Theresa say “S”iesta or “F”iesta???

7. Yeah, we can take over the Mod Lounge and refuse to leave until we all get the free calendars we deserve!… and a martini and some free veggie buffalo wings.

8. Dibs on the butt bed!

9. A chair by any other name would, uh… smell as sweet…?

10. Queen of Dork says:

And lilly pads in the infinity pool! With frogs sitting on them and singing! Yay!

11. I’m pretty sure that’s a Pica.

12. Pika? As in, I guess, Pikachu? (Sorry, I’m slow… Also, I don’t know this anipal)

Super-adorabuls disapproving pika: http://cdn1.arkive.org/media/7A/7A72D715-AD22-4089-B2B5-D062FC86E390/Presentation.Large/Plateau-pika-close-up.jpg

Per wikipedia: “They are about 6-9 in. in body length, with a tail less than 2 cm long.”

13. I totally wanted to spot a pika when in Tibet, to no avail…they are soooo adorable!!

14. I think they are related to wabbits. CUTE.

15. Pica Posing

Pica Photo

16. A skwerl? Those are mighty beeg ears for a skwerl! Looks like a chinchilla!

17. Or a mouse

18. All he needs is a hat and a fence to lean against….

19. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of pikas. Majorly huge cuteness factor here!

20. I thought so–thanks for confirming that, macquills! Pikas are insanely cute, especially the sounds they make.

21. By the way, pikas chewed up my boots on a backpacking trip one time, probably because of the salt from my sweaty feet. Luckily the boots were still wearable, since I didn’t have any others with me and I have unbelievably wimpy feet.

22. Better than what wild mountain goats will try to do to you . . . :blush:

23. bob drummond says:

I shudder with horror just to imagine what a mountaingoat would do to U !
    I think I need a good stiff drink ….

24. No, it’s David Attenborough!

25. Lemmiwinks?

26. earworm alert! It’s too late for me: save yourselves! [aieeeee!]
    ‘The journey before you may be long and full of woe . . . ‘

27. biscuithead says:

Pikas = Barking mouse bunnies! (according to a CO post long ago)
    Love these guys!

28. bob drummond says:

You’re absolutely right . A barking mouse bunnie is a very good discription of these little guys !

29. PS Anyone getting snow? 8O

30. Got some here in the DC area!

31. I’m in Rockville, MD and I’ve only seen three snowflakes today. Boo.

32. Queen of Dork says:

Seeing, “Rockville, MD” caused a bit of home sickness over here. My family are in Silver Spring and I totally miss them and their happy silliness.

33. bob drummond says:

It’s after midnight here on LONG ISLAND and all we have is rain ! P.T.L. !!!

34. Queen of Dork says:

Nope. Here in the Mojave it’s sunny and in the 70s. I would love to see some snow.

35. victoreia says:

Slightly overcast and mid-80s here in the Aloha State. [evil grin]

36. Mass quantities of the wet floofy tree branch destruction variety in the southeast corner of Hartford County, CT. Keepin’ my fingers crossed that my electricity and cable service hold out. It’s very foggy here, too. There’s pea soup and vanilla frosting everywhere.

37. Southern CT here…LOTS and LOTS of snow. We had a few trees down as well. Worst of all, I had to DRIVE in it uggghhh :/ It’s gonna be a long winter.

38. Queen of Dork says:

Wow kimmaroo! I have my fingers crossed for you, too!! My goodness!

39. starlinguk says:

40. Apparently New your City! OMG! It is the end of the world! XD

Okay Maybe that was a bit melodramatic but those of you in the Northeast thise year … you have my sympathies.

41. (say it like this)

42. Head Slap… New York City!

43. Fird Birfle says:

@ Theresa: Weatherman/ hunk Jim C. is in PA and is being snowed upon

Dangling Preposishuns.

PS: Cute lil’ furry feller (and a mighty nice acksent, he’s got :) ); but I’m among those who will willingly quibble, that he might not be a Skwyrl …

44. Flutter-by says:

Pika with pica for greens and hiking boots – adorable little creature !!

45. lol picas are adorable…
    I am in Canada(west coast) and we have no snow at all…
    hmmm kind of negates those old opinions about Canada being all snow and ice all the time
    (oh but I do live in an igloo, lololol!)
    curious, was that supposed to be a Canadian accent?

46. And time to put on the favorite album – Buh-wheat Sings!

47. Wookin’ pa nub in aw de wong pesos…

48. Un, tice….feee times a maaadeh!

49. bob drummond says:

Don’t you mean Lookin’ for Love in All the Wrong Places ?

50. Nope. Wookin’ pa nub it is:

51. Doesn’t age gracefully, does it. Ah well. I don’t really miss those days.

52. “Ooooona panoona bankaaaaaaaaaa!”

53. Queen of Dork says:

Okay. I was trying to hold off on this but I can’t because of all of these Buckwheat references. When I was about 18 my sister Lulu (Leslie) and I lived in NYC and Eddie Murphy was wildly popular and successful at that time. Anyway, for some reason one day as we were walking down the street in our neighborhood (which was in the area of the G.W. Bridge, the Hudson River and Broadway and St. Nicholas Ave.), we began to sing the following song: (please keep in mind that Lulu and I would often burst into stupid songs for no apparent reason)

54. Queen of Dork says:

‘kay. (please sing to the tune of Easter Parade. And don’t worry…I’m a black chick) ahem…

Oooooohhhh I could right a sonnet,
    About your Buckwheat bonnet,
    And of the Farina I’m taking,
    To the Eeeeeaaater Parade,

Your hair is all in clovers,
    and when they look you overs
    You’ll be the brightest Buckwheat,
    In the Easter Parade.

And on the Avenue,
    (You’ll take a stroll)
    St Nicholas Avenue,
    (troll aver troll)
    The photographers will SNAP you,
    And you’ll find that you are a Buckwheat for sure!

Oooohhhh I could right a sonnet,
    About your Buckwheat bonnet,
    And of the Farina you’re taking,
    Tooooooo the Buckwheat……..Paaaaaarade!

55. Queen of Dork says:

Oops! I meant “write” not “right.” Lulu and I used to crack each other up with that goofiosity, singing as we walked across the G.W. from NYC to Jersey for the heck of it. :)

56. Queen of Dork says:

Okay. Here’s one more of me and Lulu’s songs. For every Christmas Eve, mom would buy Lulu and I some nice pajamas to wear that night so we would look fly in case Santa checked in on us. One year, she also bought us these furry slippers. So we made up a song and a dance. In the dance, we had to alternatedly put one foot in front of the other and touch our fuzzy slippers and sing the following: ahem. And now, Fuzzy, Wuzzy Slipper Sisters. (ahem).

Fuzzy Wuzzy Slippers,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy Slippers,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy Slippers,

Fuzzy Wuzzy Slippers,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy Slippers,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy Slippers,

(This last bit had to be performed with a twirl in said slippers and a thursting up with the arms above the head to coincide with the YEAH! part)

57. Ummm, I always wanted a sister… would you mind if I joined you and Lulu as an honorary sibling? (pwetty pwease?)

58. AWESOME.

59. Those don’t look like squirrel ears to me. I’ll go for pika too.

Can’t help thinking of Pikachu when I see one of those furry critters. I’m just a kid a heart. ^_^

60. Queen of Dork says:

61. Not sure who Henry D is, this is a picture that I took! Original here: http://www.ishani.org/zen/canada-roadtrip-2009/pikapika.jpg.php .. I’m very happy for it to be on CO but wouldn’t mind the proper credit…

62. yeah considering it’s really not a squirrel at all… :/ fail sender.

63. that’s a pika, not a squirrel! it’s not even a rodent! more closely related to rabbits :)

64. bob drummond says:

Got that right !!

65. JohnnieCanuck says:

Harry, nice photos at your link. Those are snow beads on the squizzle’s back, I expect?

Maybe just a typo/ brain fade mix-up with your name?

NTMTOM, we need you for attribution cleanup and linkishness on aisle 3, please.

66. It could have been, but I never sent it in!

Very bizarre. Someone who almost sounds like my name is cropping, brightening and submitting my pictures >_o

(Those are indeed snow beads on the squizzle’s back, it had just begun to fall ..)

67. I can’t believe that no one has yet noted that the pica is peeka-ing out !!!
    And no snow, but yes frosty nights in Ottawa, Canada’s capital

68. Beautiful little creature, close enough to a rodent to inspire lo-o-o-ove in me.

By the way: PLEASE publish more rodent-pictures? :)

69. Q of D: clearly your cleverness and creativity started early. I always enjoy your comments.

70. Queen of Dork says:

Oh my gosh. What a nice thing to say to somebody. Thank you!

71. In secret CuteOverload Lab they’re trying to cross breed the Pika, and the Japanese Hokkaido Squirrel squirrel. (Codename Squika) If this can be done, the resulting animal will have a +infinity on the cute Squeeee-o-meter. Wars will end, governments will go back to governing, and everyone will come home and have these little guys hop up on their lap and make cute gestures for a treat while emitting little food barks. Thus eliminating any of the woes of the day.

Unfortunately the work is long and difficult (Mainly because the scientists just want to look at them and squee right now) We’re currently trying to obtain considerably meaner spirited scientists,..so the cuteness will just “even them out” and they can make some progress.

Until peace can be brought home (we’re thinking in a cute anime Squika faced travel dome) it’s up to all of us to do our parts. We need your help!
    Keep up the good vibes, ignore the nuffers, and remember to always choose looking at a puppy stepping on his oversized ears over blogging about how stupid someone else’s politics/religion/favorite music etc.. might be.

Together we can do this!

72. Thats not a squirrel…..its a pica.

73. Queen of Dork says:

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh! Rachael, of course you are me and Lulu’s sister! Lulu would LOVE this. Hi! new sister, Rachael!!

74. at 45 seconds :D

75. Margaret Cassidy says:

Yeah I was going to say that doesn’t look like a squirrel. Thank you commenters for clearing that up. Absolutely adorable though. I’ve never seen one. I live in Canada too. I wonder where in Canada they saw this one.