Obscurities of Japanese Horror Cinema

With the box-office success of Gojira (aka Godzilla) in 1954, the monster-movie craze was on, as studios rushed similar stories into production, often with improvised special effects. Perhaps the most comical of these was Hara Koneko (1957), which called for the title character to rampage through an elaborate miniature set, but who instead preferred to sit around swatting at trains.

Maggie C. writes: “This is my cat, O’Malley. He is almost 10, and weighs a wopping 18.5 pounds! He really did not like when we played with our Lego train set. He has a really big heart, and a even bigger attitude (he yells at us when he is hungry).”

Comments

1. I see a derailment coming.

2. rook out!

3. Chessie gets her spokescat career back on track as a stationary object.

4. Oh, how I loves me a big, honkin’ red boy.

5. Awwww, big ol’ marmie luv.

6. “Hara Konerko”- wasn’t that the one in which a mutant first baseman nearly destroyed US Cellular Field, until neutralized by The Pavano?

7. Mary (the first) says:

Don’t all cats yell at their human when they’re hungry?? You mean that’s OPTIONAL?

8. Yep, I got me a big, honkin’ red & white lover boy.

9. Of my four, only Eddy yells. Or I should say, SCREAMS at me repeatedly while I am trying to get the food into the dishes. The others just wait politely.

10. It’s NOT optional in my house. With 7 cats at feeding time it sounds like I have the hallelujah choir ! TIIIIME to feed me……TIIIIIME to feed me …..
    mommyfeedme …mommyfeedme…… Mom-mee feed meeeeeee!!!

11. Ha ha, I will sing that tonight when Eddy is screaming his head off. I’ll sing it in a very loud voice and see whether I can drown him out!

12. I’ll take a jalapeno smoothie, please. With a side of Pringles.

13. i was just thinking of going down to the snack shop to get some potato chips, which are my evil indulgence, and I do not allow very often. You have now convinced me. BRB…

14. I’ll probably still be in here when you get back.

15. OMG!!! Is that REAL??!!

How big is that cat?! Must be at least 200 feet long!!!!

16. There’s a smoothie buffet today. Jalapeno, prune, bluefish, etc.

17. Nope, it’s sh0pped.

18. LisaLassie says:

Yes, Andy, this is what happens when science experiments go horribly awry.

19. Aw buddy. Don’t sell yourself cheap, Negotiate for some yellowtail sashimi or a nori roll using catnip!

20. Just before I go to bed, T-Two, who is a 20 pound all white long hair male cat, will walk sideways in front of me, keeping eye contact, shaking his tails and yelling the whole time at the top of his voice until I pick him up, put him on “his” counter and give him his night-night candies. My three girls cats just sit there and watch the show snikering.

21. OMG, the yelling coming from the Mod Lounge! It sounds like the Hallelujah Chorus!

22. Run for your lives! It’s… Catzilla!

23. warrior rabbit says:

We have an Aristocats fan, methinks.

Also, Night of the Lepus. Marauding bunnies meet railroad sets. And Rory Calhoun! Can’t get any better than that.

24. Somewhere I’ve got a picture of my dear departed Toby with his arse crammed in the dollhouse, peeking out the window.

25. TrixandSam says:

wow, Theresa! bravo!!

FYI – Mr Konerko happens to be part of my interdimensional stable of *mumble-mumble* husbands. (drat. cannot for the life of me remember your acronym OR what it stands for…)

26. JLAmusings says:

I noticed the Aristocats nod too. :-) And Night of the Lepus is so hilarious. The sound effects just do me every time-

27. JLAmusings says:

Awww….. I don’t have pics, but my dear departed Fergus (a large orange stripey man) used to delicately tiptoe through my dollhouse, managing to only knock over the occasional lamp or chair. I would just find things knocked over in the morning or after work & couldn’t tell what happened. I only figured it out later after I noticed the teeth marks on all the wooden furniture. I’m selling the dollhouse but keeping the dining room set with the most teeth marks. :-)

28. Fird Birfle says:

very nice lyric-izing, there, MudBug!!! Fits the song rhythm & everything!

29. Fird Birfle says:

Somebody call me???

30. Fird Birfle says:

BTW, O’Malley is anudder wunnerful, wunnerful name fir a kittaye !!! :)

31. I got one of them, too–they rawk!

32. Yikes!! Catzilla!

33. seriously?

34. Aieee! Catzirra!

35. My cat Sage weighs 25 lbs,its just all fluff.

36. Fird Birfle says:

yay Sage !!!!

37. Warrior Rabbit, I was 5…. and yes, i do like the Aristocats.

38. So happy someone got my baseball joke! It’s Invisible Stable of Interdimensional Husbands™ ;)

So you’re a Pale Hose fan? Here’s a chance to say a fond farewell to someone!

39. Thanks! i thought so, too! we picked it because he was a stray that was outside our house. When my dad opened our door, O’Malley just came in and has been here ever since.

40. O’Malley is certainly substantial. Even grand. My mom’s cat had him beat, though. “P’tit Mec” was twenty-pounds-plus. The floor shook when he jumped down from a chair. Once a year, two weeks before his physical, he was put on a diet, to his great dissatisfaction. Nights were made vivid by his unceasing complaints. After his physical and the annual scold from the vet about his largeness (which invariably reduced my mother to a trembling wreck), he would return to his usual grandeur. He died fat and happy at 15.

41. I had forgotten all about Chessie!

42. victoreia says:

Yup, mine’s a lover boy, too.

43. Was the train running while they took this picture?

44. :lol: Maggie C., your dear sweet cat, O’Malley, is one BIG kitty :lol:

45. I’m a fiendish lover of Japanese horror, but I don’t think I’d be running away from Big Red there. He looks pretty snuggly.

46. Oh yes. Our kitties definitely got us trained to do all this for them. We so are their humble servants!

47. Big orange cats own my soul.

48. 2005 was a great year. I was in the stands in 1983 when Tito Landrum and the Orioles broke my heart. Better a rain-delayed loss at Old Comiskey than five minutes in Wrigley…

49. TrixandSam says:

Despite it being an absolute pit in its last years, I loved going to Old Comiskey. Too bad our Hara Koneko kitty here wasn’t around to take it out in Japanese Horror film style. (how’s that for looping it back?)

50. LOL! That’s great.

Years ago, on a newsgroup, we got into a thread of discussion regarding the names that we call cats which are not their names, and that devolved into songs that we sing to our cats. One person had a special litter box cleaning song, which I must share with you. To the tune of “In The Hall Of The Mountain King,” she would sing,

“Itty bitty kitty turds, kitty turds, kitty turds
    Itty bitty kitty turds” (and then I think the next line was something like “scoop ‘em up now”)

51. At a bookstore where I worked in the 90s, I had a coworker, a manager who’d walk around randomly singing “Abraham Delacey, Giuseppe Casey, Thomas O’Malley, O’Malley the alley cat.”

*sigh* I fell out of touch with him. Wish I hadn’t. He was a fun guy, and not a mushroom.

52. Cats and dollhouses make me think of this picture:

53. Better put him on a diet quick or he may not make it to be much older. He
    looks a lot like my childhood pet – a male cat named Dollybelle – I was little when I
    named him.

54. Fird Birfle says:

@ Noelegy: I like your story about your manager/coworker.
    Please help, though. um, “not a mushroom”?
    DId I miss a reference point? Perhaps that’s a lyric from The Aristocats?
    I never managed to see the whole film, in one stretch …

55. skippymom says:

“fun guy” (fungi)
    Get it now?

56. OOo, and Peake, Peake was off serving in WWII, now I guess he’d be an Iraq war vet.

57. Fleurdamour says:

A rail cat-astrophe.

58. “Oh no, there goes Tokyo, O-O-O’Malley.”
    My apologies to Blue Oyster Cult.

59. Fird Birfle says:

D’OH!!!
    omigawd, iym like, so STOOpeed.

(blushingk)

60. although he is not as big now (This was taken about 5 years ago), he is still quite snuggly!

61. we did. He lost a lot of weight, and is now a very happy, fluffy kitty!

62. Yes. Yes it was.