And Now, Today’s Geometry Lesson from Professor Thistle

Hello, class. In today’s lesson, we will unravel that most fascinating of shapes: The Möbius strip! This paradoxical surface has only one side, which I shall demonstrate by contorting my body like so… (nrrrgh!)

I said (ehn!)… contorting my (hrrrgh!)… body, like (urrnph!)… so…

Nicole H. explains: “What she is actually doing is self-anointing, a hedgehog behavior that is truly bizarre, and slightly disturbing, to watch. Sooo cute how she can contort her body though!”

Comments

1. Coming soon to a gym near you: Hedgeaerobics!
    Heck, if my trainer were this cute, I might actually go to the gym! ;-)

2. Who knew hedgehogs could stretch like that? They’re like cats.

3. TrixandSam says:

Tiny, fuzzy hedgie ‘tocks!!

4. the little feetsies! I want to soft-peench them!

5. Isn’t that a yoga position ? The “Stretchy Hedgie” ?

6. Where do we sign up for Hedgie Yoga? Don’t know if I can manage that position. Is there a beginner’s class?

7. Fird Birfle says:

8. Fird Birfle says:

Professor Thistle, and Nicole knew !!! :)

9. The hedgehogs name is Sonic,I presume

10. Self-anointing is awesome! The hedgehog takes advantage of its natural poison-resistance to smear anything that tastes funny all over itself and (hopefully) render itself toxic!

11. 260Oakley says:

I think the yoga class is on the schedule after the crew team’s “Hedge Row” workout.

12. is ‘self anointing’ anything like what my cat
    buttons does to my leg at night??

13. cellarmouse says:

poor li’l hedgie – it seems in his efforts hhe has nanaged to annoint the sofa as well…

14. No wonder Sonic lives on Mobius!

15. Unlikely. See my comment once it gets out of moderation, goodness knows why…

16. Moi, Actually says:

Yeah, if my Pilates teacher ever hears about this self-anointing thing, I’m quitting.
    Love the pink bits.

17. Gotta love Tockstober! :D

18. is that before or after the Spinying class?

19. The only anointing I have ever heard of before is during the coronation ceremony of a monarch.

So is that little hedgie anointing himself our king?

Then I say: Long live King Thistle!

20. Empressgoth says:

I Thought we were being mooned!

21. If hedgie is successful in his attempt to go Mobius, will he disappear into a 4th dimension. Will it cause a rift in the time-space continuum? I hope the CO Department of Advanced Theoretical Mathematics Department is working on this.

22. A rip in the qte dimension? Nooooooooo…….

23. Nah, that’d be a Klein bottle, not a Mobius strip. Klein hedgehog?

24. This just feels awkward. Anything that requires that much moisture (check out the damp spots on the sheets) should probably not be viewed at work.

25. Mary (the first) says:

I noticed the same.. the sofa pillows appear to be “anointed”. I wonder what toxic substance the sofaowner has to try to clean up.. maybe worth it to have this little cutie around.

26. LOL

27. I didn’t realize hedgehog bums–oh, sorry, ‘tocks–were so naked. Looks like he should put some underpants on or something.

28. Sorry, she. Maybe some little undies with pink polka dots?

29. Fleurdamour says:

Self-anointing – is that like when Charlemagne crowned himself Holy Roman Emperor?

30. Fleurdamour says:

Hedge fund-erwear

31. Fleurdamour says:

I’m surprised he does not poke himself with the quills.

32. ha ha

33. Fird Birfle says:

YAY for polka dots!!! :)

34. I hated algebra in high school, but I loved geometry. I can only imagine how much I would have loved it if I’d had Professor Thistle.

35. I think Professor Thistle is giving a geometry lesson. He seems to be demonstrating a-cute angle.

36. oh, brother… *groan*
    hehe!

37. TrixandSam says:

Hovertext for pic #2: I think Professor Thistle is a millimeter shy of having to be sent to the Moderation Lounge!

38. victoreia says:

8-O That is all.

39. random dog person says:

Geometry was much easier- an entire unit devoted to organizing!

40. random dog person says:

It appears to be a hedgehog version of twister. On the other hand, he is missing all of the awkwardness of competitive twister!

41. skippymom says:

It was logical and beautiful. Algebra just seemed random.
    I firmly believe that everyone should have to study geometry and Latin.

42. Fird Birfle says:

A most excellent comparison (Twister).

43. Fird Birfle says:

*boisterous round of applause for 260 & ” cute angles”!!!!*

44. Amen

45. Yes!! Thank you for explaining.

I was like, “Okay, Nicole can say self-annointing but that doesn’t explain the 10 questions that follow!” :D

46. er ummm Charlemagne didn’t crown himself–he walked into St. Peter’s in Rome on Christmas Day and got “surprised” by the pope. And he was Roman emperor, not Holy Roman Emperor. Napoleon crowned himself.

Sorry, the history prof impulse cannot be denied.

47. double amen (et ave)

48. random dog person says:

i have yet to find a class teaching latin at my school- just spainsh, french and german.

49. Awww…teeny tiny hedgehog contortionist :D

50. Can we please talk about the adorable ‘tocks (again)!?!

Too cute!

51. Agree Latin is a must, and it’s a shame lots of high schools don’t offer it at all anymore, or only to the advanced honors students! As for geometry, I loved it until 10th grade when we had to MEMORIZE dozens of proofs and theorems, just to prove, for example, that a triangle IS a triangle! *scowls at Pythagoras and Euclid*

52. Hey! I’m in moderation and I didn’t even use cuc-pickle-umber! *sniff* Gonna check out that infinity pool–hope it’s heated!

53. Hey, what’d I do?!

54. Fird Birfle says:

*Entirely enjoying this entire thread & esp. Euclid’s contribution :) *

55. Fird Birfle says:

we ARE!!!!

56. If Euclid actually comes to the cte, then I must have misjudged him, and all is forgiven! “Deus me ignoscat.” :-)

57. I agree that it is a terrible shame that Latin is taught anymore. I would have less than half the vocabulary I have without that 6 years of Latin in high school and college. It is a wonderful basis for learning so many other subjects. “Idiocracy’ is becoming the norm in American.

58. salve, debg

59. flutterby says:

A prickly situation if ever I saw one!! They certainly have to be superior contortionists to avoid poking themselves on their pointy bits during this self-anointing bizness ! Yeowwch !

60. I used to be flattered when my hedgehog Bandit (RIP) would lick my hair and anoint herself with her foamy spit.

Until she did the same after giving her dried up crickets (which smelled like filthy sweatsocks). :)

61. Napoleon crowned himself emperor. Then he crowned his wife Josephine empress. Napoleon was small and prickly too, but not as cute as Thistle!

62. Well it appears to be from planet Mobius so yes. Even if that was a mistranslation. Hey, that was my joke

63. Modesty pants!

64. Maybe the moisture is from her nosicles? Weather’s changing, doncha know!

65. OMG!!! MY THISTLE!!!!

This is a few years ago, sadly Ms. Thistle passed in March of this year. Worst day of my life and I miss her every day. How could I not?

This made me squee with joy then start crying like a baby. Thank you.