Now You See It, Now You Don’t

Peanut?

What peanut?

Geoff B. writes: “Attached are some photos my father took while at a cabin in Ontario over the summer. The poor chipmunks were so hungry, they’d come right up for any kind of treat and didn’t seem to mind being photographed. This lil’ guy could even give hamsters some tips on the finer points of proper cheek stuffin‘”

Comments

1. They aren’t necessarily hungry, chipmunks are just greedy. I live in urban Ontario and wake up every morning to find a chipmunk, squirrel, or Blue Jay peering in my patio door. The chipmunks put their paws on the door and tap on it to get my attention. Eating machines, all of them.

2. “GAAAAALGHH.” Oh, the memories.

3. hah! This is nothing. I have seen a Chipmonk attempt two, not one, but two full
    sized peanuts.

4. (The Original) Mel says:

I miss chipmunks. We don’t have them here.

5. The ones we used to see would stuff one full-sized peanut in each cheek and then run off with a third one held sideways in front.

It’s not that they’re greedy– they have to store up a pile for winter while they’re holed up in their burrows.

I love how some blue jays will pick up several peanuts one after the other and then take off with what they apparently decided was the biggest one. They come back for the others, but they start with the big ones in case somebody else comes along.

6. Cheekplumps…

7. Moi, Actually says:

Love the way his little lip line trails down to the left after he’s pocketed that peanut. Definitely gives him a look of, “I can’t believe I ate the whole thing!”
    So, what’s Theo remembering in the posting above? Have I missed some tasty Theo-related titbit? Heaver forfend.

8. Of course they’re not greedy. If you couldn’t go shopping for 4 – 5 months and had to stock up on food ahead of time, you’d look greedy, too. My favorite Post-It commercial was the one where the squirrel had post-its all over the inside of a tree trunk documenting where all his nuts were buried.

Those chipmunks really need to learn to steal people’s credit cards and order pizzas instead. That way, they wouldn’t look nearly as greedy. Pizza delivery guys deliver practically anywhere and through all seasons.

9. Moi, Actually says:

HEAVEN, of course. That’ll teach me to touch type before 7 a.m.

10. Martha in Washington says:

I can hear the eye plinks from here!

11. Our peanut stuffing chipmunk is soooo much cuter than the cheezburger’s funny looking hamster with its awkward carrot. C’mon, show some CO loyalty (-;

12. i ain’t seen one where I live either :-(. I had a “pet” chipmunk when I went camping as a kid…the little guy LOVED chocolate, so who am I to deny him? LOL

13. Fabulous photos! Thanks for the smile. :-)

14. I hit the running trails by the river every day, and chipmunks and squirrels zip all over the place. I thought they were playing or something, but a park ranger told me the squirrels were chasing the chipmunks in hopes of finding their stash of nuts. He gave me a meaningful look and said, “Do NOT bring a bag of peanuts with you next time.” But you know I want to!

15. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Yup. Not so much hungry chipmunks as spoiled, habituated-to-human-handouts chipmunks.

16. Blue Footed Booby says:

BOY SCOUTS REPRESEEENT
    At Philmont Scout Camp the chipmunks are traditionally called mini bears, and they’re utterly fearless and all-consuming. Staff will regularly find a box of supplies with a hole in one side, a hole in the other, and nothing left in between. I’m pretty sure if you went to sleep outside there’d be nothing left by morning but bones and teeth.

17. They are not hungry. They just know a sucker when they see one. Smart. ;-)

18. DId I tell you all about the time we went camping at a spot in Northern California and the squirrels were doing military flanking maneuvers in unison to capture some of our food stuffs including 1/2 of a watermellon that they successfully draged off about 100 feet while we were looking the other way. :D

19. Fird Birfle says:

BWA ha HA, “kermie”!!!

(“pizza deliveries…chipmunks…” I think you’ve outlined
    a MOST delightful strategy :) )

20. Fird Birfle says:

“Cheek implant surgery???? WE don’ need no STANKIN’ ‘cheek implants’ !!!!!!”

21. Fird Birfle says:

Agreed. I was rather thinking that it was the sideways *shifty eyes* and
    almost facial expression, that gave this storyline its charm.

Also rather enjoyed the moment of “heh heh heh” ….. :)

22. Fird Birfle says:

WOW 8-O
    Are you for REAL???
    Multiple skwyrrli-os, with 1/2 watermelon being dragged, so soundlessly that y’all didn’t hear any commotion ???? I repeat, “WOW” !!!

Now THAT’s a delightful story/ visual !!! (Practically a Tom & Jerry cartoon :) )

23. Use unshelled (still in shell) hazelnuts (filberts), not peanuts. They store better, they’re healthier, rodents get needed teeth wear, and they cost more so you won’t feed so much.

24. Where I used to camp (northern MI), there were raccoons that were way smarter about getting into food than we were about protecting food.

25. If you do, be prepared to throw the bag and save yourself when they all come running.

26. Sure, you laugh now but wait ’til you get your credit card bill and find out that you ordered hundreds of dollars’ worth of pizza around public parks all over the country.

But seriously though, compared to the industrial quantities of food people buy at Costco and other bulk stores, chipmunks don’t look greedy at all to me. a

27. At my house, we call the neighborhood squirrels and chipmunks “Cat TV.” They provide hours of viewing entertainment for 2 of our 3 kitties.

28. What is the third one watching? As the World Turns?

29. I loff you leetle chippy, and your beautiful shmooze-istic ways!

30. great photos! Adorable chippie!
    Agree with Rhea and Kermit – these little guys need to stash

31. *snicker*

32. Super cute… but we really shouldn’t feed chipmunks or any other wild animal! They are wild and can definitely find their own food for the winter. Feeding them just teaches them to rely on humans instead of foraging for food.

33. Chipmunks knock on your door??? That’s it…I’m moving to Ontario!!

34. an encore presentayshe, yes?

and if not, dare we ask which memory you’re savoring? do tell! inquiring minds wanna know… ;)

35. Yikes! :shock:

36. DADT still in effect for chippies

37. I resent that…..I am from Ontario and the wildlife here are not starving or hungry they are just used to being fed by people so now they beg for food.

38. Fird Birfle says:

@ victoreia: ” tsk, tsk ….”

39. I have hot and cold running bebeh cheepmunks in my neighborhood right now. They’re like, the size of my thumb.

40. And for my next trick …..watch how I get the nut to come out the other end.

41. peanut..?

what peanut?

I don’t know nothin’ bout no peanut!