And So it Begins

According to Australian Geographic, birds of a feather learn to talk together. Escaped and released cockatoos, back in the wild after learning to mimic human sounds, teach the sounds to their new tree-mates. Can “Rise of the Planet of the Cockatoos” be far behind? What else will the feathered freinds teach each other?

Photo by Flickr user S Baker.

1. Mary (the first) says:

Freinds? Did you mean fiends? :D Although, these guys are gorgeous.

2. Sasha's Mum says:

I think “here’s where they hide their peanuts” might be a more common point of conversation! Cockatoos are notoriously bad with money after all. Everyone knows that.

3. I’ve long suspected that birds would take over the world…

4. That is SO FUNNY! That bird CAN DANCE FOR REAL!!!!! OMG!!!!

5. I, for one, welcome our new Cockatoo overlords.

6. “Cockatoo Overlords”

It also abbreviates to C.O.!

7. biscuithead says:

I look forward to eavesdropping on bird conversations.

8. better than bird droppings on your eaversations, eh?

9. HAW!

10. Looks to me like they’re gossiping about the latest season of “Desperate Housewives”!

11. Fird Birfle says:

hey, v, I got something somewhat similar ….I tho’t that Cockatoo Number Two had rather a look of astonishment, as in the (famous/ infamous?) phrase
    “O No He/ She/ It DI-unt!!!!!!” ……

Signed, ;)

12. Gee, now where have I heard that before?……. ;)

13. Fird Birfle says:

@ victoreia:

“Ah dunno……”

Shifty Eyes

14. Fird Birfle says:

*opens the car-trunk to get out the traffic flairs while parked in the Lot for the
    Moderation Lounge*

*makes a Protest Sign, which reads “Help!!! Help!!! I’m being repressed !!!!!”

*makes a Mint Julip*
    *sits in a lawn chair*

15. *wipes away tears of laughter*

The visual on that is priceless!

16. Fird Birfle says:

Glad t’be of service, kimmaroo :)

17. Lewis n' Clark says:

*opens own car trunk, gets out horse-overs*
    *offers them to Firdie*

18. Fird Birfle says:

*curtseys elegantly, in thanks, to Lewis n’ Clark*

19. HAHA! We always called them Horse-Doovers. Love it!

20. I prefer Hordy Overs.

21. Mary (the first) says:

Horse Ovaries

22. Holy crap. I spy, with my little eye, a NomTom typo. It finally happened.

23. If you;re going to have a typo in “friends,” “fiends” is the way to go.

24. Statistically, it had to happen sometime.

25. Eeek! I before e except after c, NTMTOM!!

26. “. . . and now she’s dating a budgerigar!”
    “Oh, I believe it.”

27. I love their perky, optimistic hairdos. The flip is so in, baby!

28. Ha ha! It looks like the middle one is telling a story: “So there I was, just minding my own business, when all of a sudden…” and the two ladies on either side are all, “DO TELL!” ROFL

29. …and the one on the right is all, “YUM. Seeds.”

30. Well I’m guessing it’s all the words to the 80’s songs…..

OR , all the fowl language he’s heard over the years!

31. Oh gosh, remembering visit to Australia, and waking up with a treeful of these guys screeching their heads off outside my window! :lol:

32. ???? to both horse-overs and Horse-Doovers.

signed: Confused French Girl

33. Marianne in GA says:

It’s American southern sarcastic for Hors D’Oeuvres. Do you know the store Target, which is supposed to be pronounced “TAR-get” (wiith a hard “g”)? American southern sarcastic turns it into the fine French Fashion house called “tar-JAY.” And now that it is selling Missoni, we might have to turn it into an Italian “palazzo di mode.”

34. Thank you, I had heard the Tar-JAY one but not for the hors-d’oeuvres.

35. They’re plotting.

36. Let’s all sing like the birdies sing,
    Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet.
    Let’s all sing like the birdies sing,
    Sweet, sweet sweet, sweet sweet.
    Let’s all warble like nightingales,
    Give your throat a treat.
    Take your time from the birds,
    Now you all know the words,
    Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet.

37. Fird Birfle says:

*wild, enthusiastic applause*

“Rockin’ robin (tweet, tweet, tweet)…
    Rockin’ robin (tweet, tweet, tweedledee tweet….)”

38. Never tried this before so if it doesn’t work please click on the link and forget my ineptitude.

39. FORGIVE…not forget…and HEY! it worked. :)

40. Mary (the first) says:

Wonderful!!! I’ve never heard that song and now any other rendition will pale in comparison to Nicki’s version. Thanks, Ozbirds!

41. Oh my stinkin’ gosh, that hurts!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

42. “Give your throat a treat”? Like a mojito?

43. Totally an Aussie accent, fray-eeends… NTMTOM had it right.

44. Cockies? Try having them talking about ripping the eves off your house! They’re pretty (especially a mob of them in a huge pine tree, looking like Christmas deckies) but… sneaky and destructive! Do we want them to discuss their next plan of attack?

45. Alfred Hitchcock, my peeps, Alfred Hitchcock…a seer, sage and soothsayer, a sayer of sooth. SQUAWK!