Kokamo ‘n’ Monroe

Kokamo, a gorilla at San Diego Zoo Safari Park, gave birth to a baby named Monroe this past June:

Sender-Inner George M. took these gorgeous photos when Monroe was just over a month old. Hoverfacts via TheWorldWeShare.

Comments

1. (The Original) Mel says:

He’s got lil gorilette cowlicks.

2. Football Carry! You go, Kokamo. Sooo precious!

3. almost makes me want to have one of my own!

4. Sweet li’l dude has one kickass mom…

And their ears! Just like ours, how wild does that look, especially on mom?

5. Your own gorilla???? Let us know how that goes, OK? :)

6. Great moments in American history: first public viewing of the Monroe ‘Tockrine.

7. ;D

8. Baby gorillas would be a lot cuter if they didn’t look so much like baby humans..

9. I love it that they have “thumbs” on their feet… think of the possibilities!

10. Let me be the first to applaud you. Bleen, bleen!

11. Oooh, YES, thumbs on feet *thinking of possibilities*…alas, none come quickly to mind…

12. ….”Folding laundry while frosting cupcakes!”

13. Looks like someone read Happiest Baby on the Block!! :-)

14. The way she’s holding that celery, you’d think that she’s preparing to spank the kid with it.

15. Mom still had time to get a nice red henna treatment! Moms need to be pampered too!

16. Soooooooooooooo cute!!!!!

17. I love Monroe’s feet and I love how Kokamo is holding him!! I also love that the silverback is being so diligent in protecting both of them from the other gorillas.

18. Mary (the first) says:

Lookit da kyoot widdle bebeh!! *blink* ack sorry, forgot myself for a minute. But he’s very sweet!! Good job, Kokamo!! (p.s., the celery goes in the other end. When he’s a bit older. FYI.)

19. Unless he gets into some “monkey business” and then the celery is for whacking that end.

20. 1st picture looks like Monroe doesn’t want to go to the first day of Kindergarten.

2nd picture looks like Mom is about to stick the celery someplace if Monroe doesn’t get on the bus. Hopefully Mom understands the concept of square pegs and round holes. 8O

21. If I had thumbs on my feet my boss would give me:

Two PC’s with 2 key boards and 2 mice and then cut my pay in half because the company doesn’t have to pay minimum wage to adults with severe physical and mental disabilities.

22. Fird Birfle says:

SOUNDS great in theory.

However, Chez Moi, if’n thar wuz cupcakes ‘n frostin’ about, wulnn’t be no foldin’ of no DANG laundry, nosireeBOB!!!! :)

23. Fird Birfle says:

Either Mom reeeeeeeally likes holding bebbehs back-ass-wards, or the Bebbeh squirms his way into that posishe. Either way, consistency reigns supreme here ….

24. Such clever wit! It just takes my breath away. *shuffles away humbly*

25. Lately, I’ve been of the opinion that frosting don’t need no cupcakes! (But I’ll take the cupcakes anyway!) :P

26. Nursing for 3 years?!? 8O I have a major newfound respect for the patience of mommy gorillas…

27. *snerk*

28. No kidding! Particularly considering those teeth!!! 8-O

29. I think it looks like the celery is actually a baby bottle.

30. LOL, I thought it looked like she was contemplating whether to feed it to the baby.

31. Catsquatch says:

I used to hold my kids like footballs too.

Apes are more like us than we think.
    ;)

32. That made me laugh. :-)

33. For a few seconds, my maternal instincts shortcircuited my entire brain and my mind went completely blank.

34. Nawwwwww…. My hubby carries our newborn like this! And our older son when he was born too. Dawwww.

35. The tiniest hint of baby gorilla tongue! *sigh*
    (pic 3)

36. earlybird1 says:

“Now son, this is a celery. Son, look at me when I’m talking to you!”

37. earlybird1 says:

LOLOLOL!!

38. My sister would kill me if she knew I’d posted this, but…She nursed her first child for 3 1/2 years, then had 6 mos. off before nursing her second kid for 3yrs. Then about 9 mos. later she had the last kid and nursed her for 3 years! (Yes, they were also eating solid food, too.) She was basically a drinking fountain for TEN YEARS!!!! *shakes head in amazement*

39. I’m in the moderation lounge–what tripped me up? “Nursing”??? I could really use a Dr. Pepper. *sigh*

40. *heavy sigh* I should be branded “idiot” on my forehead for trying to post anonymously WITH MY AVATAR STILL ATTACHED!! *ducks under blanket to await sister’s wrath*

41. LOL, her look at the celery = “Well, what the heck did you want me to do with this??”

42. Moi, Actually says:

Note the jazz feet in the last pic.

43. Moi, Actually says:

My usual reaction to celery.

44. I love eating raw celery but its not really a thing in France. Last time I bought it, the girl sweetly asked me what I used that for. she was baffled when I said i would eat it, and even more when I asked her to take the giant leafery out. she thought they were the edible part. anyway, nothing to do with gorillas.

45. They named him Munroe?? oooohhh *thud*
    and yes, the football carry, holy mom thing!