Meanwhile, at the Acme Unspecified Purpose Plastic Lid Testing Labs…

Today, we’re stress-testing a next-generation steam release valve cover on the model 259X Multi-Button Thingus-Grobble. As always, our testing team consists of a designated opener and closer, as required by union rules.

Comments

1. Pretty good testering, I’d say.

2. You just KNOW that if that cat could talk and you said “to-MAY-to,” he would respond, “to-MAH-to.” Just to be contrary. Cuz that’s what cats do, God bless ‘em.

3. In legal terms, that’s an open-and-shut case…

4. i could do this all day.
    ambidextrously.

5. what a pretty kitty. so halpful too.

6. I love the look the cat gives the person at the end . I could just hear the kitteh
    say …..” Really ?” ……..REALLY ?

7. Ahh! The old “wabbit season/duck season” stratagem….

8. Great mindless chuckle for my morning. Kitty is gorgeous too!

9. Doesn’t IKEA stores usually have small demo’s how they stress test their furniture by repeated opening and closing drawers, or having some sort of machine mashing pillows or fabrics and such? IKEA needz moar kittehs!

10. That is such a beautiful cat that I don’t have anything funny to say.

11. Fird Birfle says:

BUT it wouldn’t be quite as delightfully FUN !!11!!!

12. Fird Birfle says:

*snerk*

13. bookmonstercats says:

I would work on a factory production line as an opener, for hours every day, for no pay, and working overtime too, if I had a patented KittyCloser working as my partner.

14. Fird Birfle says:

…..aaaaaaaaaaaand somebody somewhere in Asia (I’m not skilled at distinguishing among Japanese/ Chinese/ Korean/ other styles of text ) …..

has AGAIN handed us ‘Mericuns, our collective hats.
    This kitteh seems quite emphatic, perhaps even smug, about his prompt, efficient job performance.

CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE

(and also pretty adorable too)

15. I like too how the cat gives himself a little facial towards the end–good for the whiskers!!!

16. (Opens thingy)
    Cat: “It must be closed.” (snap)
    (Opens thingy)
    Cat: “It must be closed.” (snap)
    (Opens thingy)
    Cat: “It must be closed.” (snap)
    (Opens thingy)
    Cat: “It must be closed.” (snap)
    (Leaves thingy closed)
    Cat: “It must be whichever it is not that is which you want it to be… at… thing… dammit…”

17. Yes, and it is documented that they use kittehs to do this….

18. So many reasons to love this, not the least of which is the beautiful ambidextrous and oppositional kitty. It reminds me of two things: 1) the viral video of that little machine that exists solely to turn itself off (maybe someone more intertubes–savvy than myself will post it) and 2) being with people who have autism, many of whom are quite insistent that doors be closed or light switches be off or curtains be open, etc.

19. I think we’re going to have some union trouble here. At the end, the closer opened something and the opener closed something! That’s NOT allowed under the contract!

20. EmilouBlue says:

Here you go Juno!

21. I had the same thought! Kitteh’s contract is in danger.

22. Stoopid human, doesn’t realise the steam is getting out if the lid is open. Steam inside = warmth = good for kitty ‘tocks. (whateverthatthingis…oo, just checked the youtube description, it’s a stove of some sort?)

23. skippymom says:

Handed us our “hats”? Is that what you call it?

24. skippymom says:

hahahaha!

25. heh heh. so true.

26. skippymom says:

I just want to say that it is inspiring to see a cat who takes work so seriously.

27. I don’t know why but I just laughed so hard at that video that my cat ran off because she was afraid something was wrong with Mummy.

28. Prolly thought you were going to put him/her to work.

29. Her. Sorry ’bout that.

30. skippymom says:

I love that behavior! At home I’m always telling myself jokes and laughing crazily until my cats start looking at me with “concerned” expressions on their faces.

31. Mary (the first) says:

I feel much the same. Gorgeous kitteh!!

32. I’d say it’s an open-and-shut-and-open-and-shut-and-open-and-shut …

33. Yeah, it’s annoying! Toooo much noise.

34. mesmerizing, magnificent, marshmallow colored kitteh! So regal!!

35. Well, some people wear theirs like hats…

36. That is win!

I love this cat. Not only pretty but smart cookie too.

37. eternalcanadian says:

Haha! That is so cute! Open-shut-open-shut all day long!

38. What? 100 kittehs not enough for you?

If IKEA had any more kittehs they would have a stampede.

39. ‘Sokay, I just heard from the head of the local A.F.L-C.I.O(Affiliated Furry League-Closer and Independent Openers), turns out kitteh is a card carrying member for the group! Whew! ;-)

40. Gee, I posted the linky to the IKEA commercial and got put in the mod lounge. :( Does anyone have a Diet Peach Snapple and a brownie I can enjoy while waiting? :D

41. I’m glad my work place upgrade the Mozilla browser, now I can see videos at work! I lol’d when the kitteh opened the release valve…i hope no one noticed or they may uninstall mah Mozillaz…..!

42. Skippymom! You survived! :)

43. skippymom says:

We survived unscathed. A little rain, some high winds, and no electricity from Sunday afternoon to sometime Monday. The dead tree with the power lines tangled in its branches didn’t fall on the roof. And the stray cat I’ve been feeding, who hadn’t been seen for a week, showed up for dinner last night looking fine. So all is well, and thank you for your thoughts.
    Have we gotten updates from any other COers who were affected by the storm?

44. skippymom says:

ceejoe, I replied to you, but I forgot to use the moderation-proof spelling of a certain word. If you pop into the lounge, I’ll tell you about it in person over a cocktail.

45. skippymom says:

We’re fine, thanks, but I’m currently serving two terms in mod.

46. You naughty girl!

47. skippymom says:

That’s me!

48. Glad to hear you and the kittehs (including the stray – bless your heart!) are all ok. I don’t think we’ve seen anything from Theresa yet. Maybe she’s still without power…

49. victoreia says:

And then the cat said “Okay, I’m bored.”

50. victoreia says:

I think there are some in the fridge…..

51. My first thought was “I want to snuggle in that furry tummy” followed by “those earsies need kissing and nibbling” — only then was I able to pay attention to the activity.What a gorgeous, brilliant kitty! He even has a show named after him, “The Closer” is on every Monday night. Now that I know he’s the star, I’ll make sure I don’t miss any episodes.

52. Kitteh says: “You knows all dese here jobs is gonna be done by ro-butts some day, kid. I’m just puttings in my time til retirement.”

53. Thanks, EmilouBlue! That’s actually MUCH cooler than the one I’ve seen before, which was not made out of Legos.

54. You just KNOW he plays with that while his human is gone. Probably operates all the other buttons efficiently too. On every machine in the house.

55. Well, just when you think you’ve seen it all . . . . I had NO idea there were so many of these things.

56. OOH! I just noticed–Why, yes, I did watch it again, why do you ask?–that kitty has one green, and one blue eye! He is special in so many ways.

57. cats are strange.

58. This really, really cracked me up and also really reminded me of my cat, who continuosly makes me open and shut doors for him. If he’s outside he wants to be inside, if inside he wants to be outside.

59. Emmberrann says:

This is the true depiction of ailurophilosophy: if I’m out, I want to be in; if I’m in I want to be out. It is hardwired into the infelinitenous of cat brainometry, and they cannot, I say, can Not resist the temptation to behave thusly when confronted with the half-open, or alternatively, half-closed door. .

60. The IKEA cat catalog.

Love all the little paw prints that mark products “Kitty Tested. Kitty Approved.”

61. Including the expresso/cappaccino machine the hoomins leave the instruction book beside b/c it is so complex. Lol.

62. skippymom says:

That is the best movie I have ever seen.

63. skippymom says:

My cats resemble that remark.

64. Japan. The text on the video’s Japanese, and that’s definitely katakana on the machine’s “sutaato” button.

*Sigh* I miss Japan!

65. They just do it to prove that they can make us do whatever they want.
    Face it, they OWN us!

66. That kitty looked p.o.’d at the end! :D

67. :)

68. this ^

69. I laughed the entire 1:09. Thank you!! Needed that.

70. truth that!

71. *double snerk*

72. Dueling useless machines!

73. Alligator says:

dear god, i only wish that everything could be so cute
    ps i’m a dude

74. snoopysnake says:

He is likely to be deaf, then. Our cats’ shelter had a similar cat adopted last winter. His name was Cotton Ball and he had been surviving out in the streets even though he couldn’t hear a thing. Fortunately he found a nice home.

75. My Cinder is always under the impression that “Get the heck out of Dodge” is the best plan at that point.

76. victoreia says:

Hence the expression “a**hats”?

77. victoreia says:

Mine do, as well. Most strongly.

78. Is that maybe a RICE COOKER? I thought I saw a tiny puff o’ steam the second time around. If it’s warm, that would explain its attractiveness as a Cat Perch.

79. I just want to say I love the word “ailurophilosophy.”

80. Looks like a humidifer to me. Can’t be a rice cooker b/c the release valve shouldn’t/wouldn’t open so easily, would burn your skin if it did.

81. Sooo gorgeous! I love those shapely legs too.

Reminds me of our feral cat, Calypso, who is oh so brilliant and whom I’m in love with. Wish we could have her.

82. I agree :D

83. I am so glad to hear from you, skippymom :D I would also like to add that my email address will be changing and I hope to not have any trouble emailing you all at the CO group :D

84. victoreia says:

*snort* You said “cat” and “work” in the same sentence!

85. Hay guise, I am Ok, but no internets for the moment xcept on my blackberry,which is stinking hard to type on! Hope to be back with you all very soon! Oxoxox

86. Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

87. Oh man, I only bought the 259X Multi-Button Thingus-Grobble cos I thought the kitty came free with it. Now what am I going to do with it?!

88. lucy's mommeh says:

I don’t know why, but that silly Lego contraption made me bust out laughing! Must share with engineer hubby tonight so he can make me one.

89. Desdemona says:

I have always contended that cats are basically autistic. Or that people who have autism are basically cat-like. Discuss.

90. So the Acme factory is still in business! I remember that everything in the Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner cartons was made by the Acme Corp. Mostly explosives.

Can’t be too careful about that cap . . . someone will be pouring nitroglycerin into that hole one day, and we certainly don’t want . . . BLAM! BooM!

Oops.

91. YaY!! Thank you for letting us know, Theresa!

92. bookmonstercats says:

“thusly” is pretty good too.

93. bookmonstercats says:

Helloo-oo-oo there Theresa. Glad to see you back and hope you get your big-finger interwebs working soon.

94. bookmonstercats says:

Flip the thingy and they will come……..

95. This is so cute but i can just see at three in the morning while he is trying to sleep out of the silence comes plunk…..plunk…..plunk……….plunk lol well he taught her how to do it so its his fault lol

96. “I’m always on the wrong side of every door.”

97. OMG Mudbug.. Spot on.. :falls out of her chair giggling hysterically:

98. this thread is closed

and it’s open again

and it’s closed again

and it’s open again

99. People are strange too….according to the Lizard King.

…but cats are even stranger! :)

100. Never saw this before, but it’s purrfect!

101. I know,right? The phone is smart,up to but not including the buttons. Even this is agony!

102. skippymom says:

Yay! Theresa lives! She lives!

103. cats abhor a closed door…

104. the place felt empty without you, therese…

105. bookmonstercats says:

I’ve never thought Jim looked like a “Lizard”-anything. He was so beautiful, when I look at him I imagine this is what a fallen angel must look like.

106. Since it’s open, well, I will just have to close it! meow.

107. kittens not kids says:

There’s a set of photo-picture books for kids/families: one is ALL PUPPIES HAVE ADHD and the other is ALL CATS HAVE ASPERGER’S.
    I read ALL CATS HAVE ASPERGER’S carefully, and decided I either have Asperger’s, or I am a cat. Leaning toward “I am a cat” as a more likely explanation. http://dft.ba/-TAh

108. (The Original) Mel says:

It’s such a relief to see a Japanese home that looks like people live in it.

109. me too!! me too!!!

110. ‘brainometry’ does it for me.

111. There is currently a trend going on at work in which managers and team leads are putting up Post-It sticky notes outside their cubicles with words written on them. These words are, apparently, the Word of the Day that they are trying to keep in mind or embody for that day. Words like “Helpful,” “Grateful,” “Accommodating,” and so forth.

I want to put random words up at my cubicle, too, but I want to choose really obscure words that will make everyone scratch their heads. (Wouldn’t faze this crowd at all, though!)

‘Cause I’m contrary that way.

112. I watched my DVD of “Cats” not too long ago, and hubby sat down and watched most of it with me. I explained how the songs are based upon poems which are stories about various cats (he said at one point, “So let me get this straight: they’re humans dressed up as cats, and…why?”).

Eventually I started comparing them to OUR cats. The Rum Tum Tugger is definitely Philo.

113. Just had to post it!

114. I just love that film/video of the Ikea kitties.
    Ikea…that would be a great name of a kitty.

115. “You’rrrre dethpicable.”

116. That ad made me shed a tear every time it was on tv. That whole “happy inside” tagline associated with these curiously frolicking and contentedly sleeping kitties. It just makes me so happy inside. The kitten getting its head stuck, the lone cat having an adventure in the huge storage room, the sphynx playing with those tags, kittens crawling around in a bed full of plushy toys, that last cat tucked up in bed, sleepily closing its eyes.

I swear, if I worked in advertising, my proposal for every client would be “RELEASE CATS INTO YOUR STORE AND FILM IT”. Done and done.

117. “FINE! If you will not let me keep it closed I will open it and bite it off!”

Such a cute kitty c: