Seek High Ground

Did somebody say there’s a hurlacane a-comin’? I’ll just be up here keepin’ high and dry thankyouverymuch.

Oliver knows how to evacuteate, Stephanie F.

Comments

1. And wearing a tuxedo, no less!

2. if it weren’t for the cat, I’d think this was my closet… board games AND the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure!

3. mmmm I love me a game of life and a 12(b)6 motion.

4. I wonder how many of our CO family have evacuated their homes. I’m sure lots live on the Eastern seaboard. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you all and your helpless pets. Good luck! BTW. this kitty is a lady killer. He has slain me.

5. This is a fascinating room. Law texts in the closet, an old 70s edition of the Game of Life on the shelf; strange green mask, crown ….. and I think I spy a Seinfeld DVD set? Not that there’s anything wrong with that ……

6. It never ceases to amaze me where cats end up, high place wise!

My “niece and nephew” manage to get up in the nooks and crannies of the front enclosed porch, and I don’t know how they get up or down!

7. Bumble The Bunny says:

same here. i hope your and your pets are all ok, and that you are all safe and well. bless you all x

8. Oliver must be a very smart (as well as cute and formal) kitty! Usually cats look for a LOW spot when they think danger is coming–which wouldn’t be so good in a flood.

9. P.S. “Hurlacane”? Isn’t that what happens when your adorable pet presents you with a hair ball?

10. Purr-i-cane!

11. Whenever I couldn’t find my cat all I needed was to look up

12. skippymom says:

I hadn’t heard of the game Skip-Bo, had to look it up. I wonder whether Skippy would enjoy playing it.

We live right by the beach in southern Massachusetts, and I’m juggling “should I be worried” with “everything will be totally fine”.

13. Fird Birfle says:

I had a wonderful photo “once ‘pon a time” of [my beloved] Salinger, ‘waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up on the top of the refrigerator.

An errant sunbeam (and maybe a crystal pendant hanging in the window)
    had strayed onto the top of the wall, there and he felt compelled to save the house from its dangers. His arms are all akimbo in the photo, trying to gather the sunbeam into his safe reach ……

*sigh*

14. Very interesting room that’s for sure. Oh and the kitty is fab. Love me some tuxies.

15. ScoutsMom says:

My friend’s cat Chloe is a tuxie and I often get to babysit her. When she comes over, she always jumps to the top of the fridge to show how high and mighty she is. It’s kind of cute – until I want to cook dinner and she swipes at me whenever I try to open the freezer.

16. Emmberrann says:

According to MY tv station out here in mid-America-land, it’s definitely “should be worried.” According to my memory, depends on where in southern Massachusetts you are. If you’re on the Atlantic side of the Cape, you might be in big trouble. Wherever Irene takes herself, please you and Skippy be safe, dry, and someplace where the electricity is not likely to black itself out. In my prayers, SM, in my prayers.

17. keeping you and the kittehs in our thoughts this weekend, skippymom, be safe!

18. Emmberrann says:

In the dear good old days, when I still had Cool Paw Luke, the top of the kitchen cabinets was his “hidey safe place” to get away from Ms. Matilda Mae, who, as a kittayn, was too little to jump to the top of the stool to get to the top of the fridge to get to the top of the kitchen cabinets. He used to lounge up there with his paws dangling negligently over the edge to survey his kingdom, and “nyah-nyah” at ‘Tilda.

19. My little tortie Dora makes use of her superior jumping skills whenever her slower and fatter brother harasses her (which, unfortunately, is often). Sometimes I think about feeding him extra so he’ll slow down even more–I’m sure he would have no problem with that.

20. This reminds me of a picture I have of Gabby, taken in my old house. Gabby was born in 1994, and I bought my current house in 1997, so she’s quite a youngster when the photo was taken.

She’s sitting ON the curtain rod. I think she had jumped from the top of the entertainment center to the curtain rod, but she’s just sitting there, inches from the ceiling, gazing downward contemplatively, like it’s the most comfortable place in the world.

21. Here I am
    Rock you like a purricane

22. skippymom says:

Thank you, friends. I’m sure we’ll be fine. I’ll check in on Monday and let you know how it went.

23. For those of you in the path of Irene – we’re thinking good thoughts for you. Stay safe! And don’t leave your animals companions behind!

(On another note: we have a tuxedo cat who has the same inscrutable expression – especially when sitting in precarious places.)

24. My birds like to perch high up on the tops of cabinetry, curtain rods, doorframes etc. I never know quite how to take it when I walk by a door on which perches a parrot singing at me: “I got friends in loooooooooooow places” because I guess that means I’m the friend in the low place. I mean, at least I’m a “friend”, that’s good, right?

25. A kitty and board games? Yep, this person is ready for a hurricane.

26. Low-lying areas have mandatory evacs going, thankful I don’t live in a flood zone! This is my first hurricane, this mountain-goat is a bit skittish! Thanks to those thinking and praying!

27. There are a couple of high schools near me that will be acting as shelters for people who need to evacuate and have nowhere to go. The one will be taking a limited number of pets, as long as they are in cages (they didn’t say how many, though). I was glad to hear that on the news. I’m in NJ, not too far from the coast but I’m not that close to water, plus I’m on the second floor, so not too worried about flooding. Trees and wind are my bigger worries…

28. As storms goes, this one was pretty weird. When it passed by my neck of the woods, it dumped a lot of water. Four days worth of it! But no major damage wind wise.

As for the pic. Clever Kitty is Clever! ;)

29. I prefer low friends in convenient places, but that’s just me. ;)

30. My friend had her bridal party dance to that song at her wedding…if that makes you feel any better…

31. serenpoly says:

Years ago (when my now-married-and-in-the-Army niece was the merest kitlet…) the whole family was going to Washington, DC, so the kid could see the monuments and the museums, etc. Grandparents, aunt, parents, kid, had all gathered at my home to go together.

Somehow, my (indoor-only) cat got out. We hunted frantically, calling, shaking the bag of treats — no luck. Just a glimpse of seal-point Snowshoe kitty whipping around the corner… And the airport shuttle would be there any minute…

I’d pretty well resigned myself to staying behind, when my mom called from the upstairs window. She’d found the cat. He was on top of the pile of towels on the _very_top_shelf_ of the linen closet. Don’t ask me how he got there, through the closed door and up near the nine-foot ceiling, with no convenient furniture to aid in the climb. He had to have wormed his way up between the door and the fronts of the shelves. But it certainly was safe from the invasion of his space by all those humans.

The cat outside turned out to be a neighbor’s indoor/outdoor seal-point Himmy. And somewhere I have a really cool picture of Jennifer (maybe 3 1/2 feet tall) looking up at the statue of Lincoln.

32. LOVE TUXEEEES!!!!

33. That is one smart cat!!!!!!!! :)

34. Rules of Civil Procedure. I remember that exam. Rule 12 indeed.

35. *giggles*

36. SheepishKitty says:

my closet door is propped open like that, so I looked up, and there is no cat there. *is disappointed*

37. That is one TALL cat.

38. BTW, I am not in zones A, B or C, here, but the TV, radio and Internets are doing everything they can to SCARE THE BEJEEZUS OUT OF ME.

39. If it weren’t for the high quality of the picture I’d swear it was taken in 70’s

40. Mary (the first) says:

I wish I was their friend! Between the games, crown, crazy kitteh and wild clothing, it’s clear these are fun people!! (or person, as the case may be.)

41. JayBrianna says:

Mine too. My Grandma had to be evacuated (funny because she lives 30 minutes away from us) and we didn’t so she is coming over with my baby cousin. I am really nervous. It’s my first hurricane. I remember years ago, signs saying “Be prepared, Long Island, for natural disasters.” Everyone ignored it because we never had a big storm before. Now I bet those people who made the signs are laughing.

42. JayBrianna says:

(continued) Long Island is pretty much as far east you can get.

43. Oddly enough, the top of the TV was our cat’s safe space, even after the kittayn grew up. Kittayn never figured out he could jump up there too.

44. bookmonstercats says:

Cats like to be prepared for every eventuality, and only a tux will do it (cf Bond (James))

45. bookmonstercats says:

I’ve blocked out all Civil Procedure Rules. Too hard.

46. bookmonstercats says:

I do hope and pray that all of you in Hurricane Irene’s path are going to be safe and well, along with your pets.

47. Oh, but there’s east and there’s EAST. :D

48. Emmberrann says:

Does 12(b)6 apply to board games?

49. AAAAK! I know this feeling so well. All my cats have been black and white cats, and all the neighborhood cats are– black and white cats. So one day, I saw a little BW tootsie slinking around outside, and my heart went into my mouth. When I got home, where my OWN little BW stinker was waiting for me, I yelled at her “Don’t you EVER do that again!”

50. Fird Birfle says:

@ bookmonstercats: “The name is Olver. OLIVER Oliver.” :)

51. Yup, there is a lot of patternage going on in that closet. :D

52. Fird Birfle says:

That’s partly b/c, although Irene is presently (10 am E Coast time, Sat morning) something btw a Catgory One or Category Two of intensity/ wind forces inside …
    its diameter presently measures over 500 miles according to a webpage I just saw.

H. Andrew measured 40 miles across (but was a Cat Five) .
    H. Katrina measured slightly over 400 miles across.

Be safe and be blessed, Theresa et al.

53. My dear departed Mr. Whiskers was a tuxie who loved to sit on the top of the shelves, too.

54. Wedged between the clean towels and the ceiling was my dear departed Steve’s favorite comfy place, too!

55. “Cool Paw Luke” is one of the ten best cat names I’ve ever heard!

56. Good news, my fellow NYC-based Cute Overloaders- I just heard that NYC hurricane shelters WILL allow you to bring your pet with you, provided it’s in a carrier or on a leash. Don’t stay behind to save your pets, because you don’t have to! Stay safe everyone.

57. My little tuxie used to LOVE to sit on top of my bedroom door– when it was open, it stood right next to my desk that had a tall shelf on top of it, so she’d make her way that way. But of course, her favorite time to door-perch was at night when I was in bed, and then she couldn’t get down so she’d have to whine until I got her down… only to get back up again.

If you want to dedicate a post to cat door-perchers, I’ve got some pics for you! :D

58. lol, what a cute and crazy cat! Love the teefs and facial expression!

59. We must be Caribbean neighbors…! Which island?

60. My bro lives in zone B/Brooklyn – he’s gone to spend Irene with friends who live farther inland.

Lurve me some tuxies, too (though my girls are (1) totally black, and (2) siamese/tabby mix).

Stay safe, stay dry (well, maybe a beer or too, before they get warm…)

61. bookmonstercats says:

62. Stephanie F says:

Oh my gosh I can’t believe my picture was selected! Kind of embarrassed that everyone can see my closet now but I think it was worth it. For the record I made the mask in the 7th grade. This is so exciting!

63. bookmonstercats says:

I suspect it applies to EVERYTHING.

64. Queen of Dork says:

:)! Cool, Noelegy!

I hope everyone on the east side of the country will be safe and okay!

65. Am in PA and projected to get many inches of rain and lots of high winds. I stopped watching the news for a while because it made me way too skeered. I have lots of water in pots and pitchers….for the cats! And for me, lots of Diet Peach Snapple to survive on for the next few days.
    It is a bit after 2pm EDT and it just started to rain here… :( :( :(

66. Fird Birfle says:

YAY Stephanie and Oliver!!!!!

*waves pompoms and does Victory Dance*

67. Fird Birfle says:

*YAY shelters and pets and “chin up”, Northeast*
    *waves pompoms*

Remember this — it’s very similar to the saying about things not being over until the rotund female sings her Aria ….. IT AIN”T over, until AFTER the right-hand (eastern) edge of the eyewall has gone over you to elsewhere. THAT’s where the proverbial Rubber meets the proverbial Road in Hurricaneology.

Signed,
    Native Floridian whose mom, Uncle & grandparents were living IN MIAMI
    when the 38 hurricane walloped the whole East Coast……

68. Fird Birfle says:

8-o WOW, ammy!!!!!

69. Fird Birfle says:

oops what I MEANT to “say”, was: 8-O !!!!111!!!!!

70. Fird Birfle says:

Blessings to you Saffron — PWEEZE keep us posted on you and Los Gatos, ‘K??? :)

71. Fird Birfle says:

*YAY T.U.M. & YAY Mr. Whiskers!!!111!!!*
    *shakes pompoms*

He looks as though he enjoys / enjoyed being inscrutable — which is what I would anticipate, from your fun personality :)

72. Fird Birfle says:

agreed.

Well-done, Emberrann (or perhaps somebody else? who named thees Gato???)

73. @ T.U.M. He looks adorable! like he had TONS of wonderful, cat-erful personality. :)

74. Totally a fab pic Stephanie F.! :) My first thought on seeing it was that, if not for where he was sitting, I would think that was a porcelain cat, such was the purrfection of pose.

75. Ditto to the Nth degree.

76. It must be hard having your own cat show the world how superior he is to you. On the other hand, that’s a pretty amazing kitty. I bow to your superior intellect.

77. “Makin’ biscuits, boss.”
    “Gonna purr now, boss.”
    “Lickin’ my butt, boss.”

78. Aww, that picture made me grin.

79. Your dear sweet kitty, Oliver, could be our cat, Dooley’s, twin brother if he was more fluffy, Stephanie F :D I also want to say your room looks more organized than mine :blush: At least you can walk up to your closet whereas I have move stuff to get to mine :blush:

80. I second that, Becky Slam. I live on the West Coast of Canada and I am hoping and praying everyone and their pets of our CO Family are going to be ok.

81. Not only are there east and EAST, there’s Down East which would pretty much be Maine, arguably the easternmost state in the U.S., but Irene will be a tropical storm by that point. There’s a whole lotta U.S. and Canada that lie further east than Longgggue Oylund, JayBrianna!

TV news has been reporting tornado warnings in the Philly area. They’re saying we may have them here in CT, too. Ditto the NYC metro area. I thought I left that fright show behind when I moved here from the Midwest many years ago. Guess again, Dorothy. On the East Coast, apparently there’s a possibility of tornados DURING A FREAKING HURRICANE! Woe is me.

Stay safe and dry, everyone!

82. akimbo? now there’s an adjective you don’t hear often, remarkably, even if your name happens to be kim.

83. Queen of Dork says:

Peeps, I have a black and white cat somewhat like this kitty. Mine was just CRACKING ME UP playing with this little toy, flinging it everywere, chasing it, stalking it, pouncing on it, catching it and doing somersaults and rolls with it. Then suddenly, he lost interest in the toy but became captivated with his tail. He whipped it about and stared at it as if he never seen such a thing before. Next thing I knew he was WHIRLING ABOUT MADLY at 100 miles an hour trying to kill his tail! It was stunning! Then he shot straight up into the air and bolted down the hallway as if demons were chasing him! I’m not sure where he is right now but WOW was that a Freak Out Session! Silly kitty. :)

84. Fird Birfle says:

Albert: Conquering the World, One Item at a Time.

85. Queen of Dork says:

I swear, Fird, it was quite startling. And I didn’t want to distract him so I was doing the silent (as possible) whisper giggle/laugh which almost caused me to choke.

86. luvstehQte says:

skip-bo was my grandma’s favorite card game! i have such memories of sitting at her kitchen table (which now graces my dining room) getting my butt kicked in a game of skip-bo (merciless she was–never one to “let” the grandkids win…).

87. Oliver looks like such a cool cat!

88. absolutely :)

89. Cute pic, but even more important, thumbs up to the game of Skip-Bo in the background in the closet! I used to love that game!!! :)

90. This is the bedroom I dreamed of having in high school!