Disapproving Sproingers

The Stylist is reporting there is Bunneh Jumping Contests going on over in Jean, Germany…

They report: “Originally a Scandinavian sport, each competing rabbit hops over a variety of miniature sized jumps, and each rabbit is scored based on how many jumps they clear.”

OOOOF:

Nothing in the rules says these buns can’t both jump AND disapprove of said jumping.

According to the story, the white bunny “Snoopy” was the clear winner, jumping around 60cm high. That’s twelve Cute Overload Calendars stacked on top of each other, People.

I also gotta give props to this disapproving bun who is all disapproving but ‘ehn!’ at the same time:

And then manages to clear THE WATER JUMP LULZ!

Photos by Rex Features. Paws up for Meghan W., who sent this in all the way from Hawaii.

Comments

1. 4th pic/bun2: Epic disapproving bunn-Ehn
    Then ROFL at the water jump!
    And for the metrically-challenged, 60cm is a powder-puff under 2 feet

2. I’m cringing at my computer desk!

3. I love everything about this post, including the seemingly random sleigh crossing sign (WTF?) on the third jump. :) I may have to set up a little training course in my living room for Pallina and Pixie…

4. Leaping lepuses (lepi?)!

5. I thought that was a life jacket for the bunny in the last pic..then realized it’s a harness and other bunny’s had one too! heh..he.

6. I think it was to encourage the participants that indeed they could fly.
    And therefore, with the Father Christmas theme, der HasenLeapenSchproingen competition should be the demonstration sport at the next winter Olympics in Sochi. They’ve got equestrian in summer, right?!?

7. Leaping lagamorphs!

8. And P.S., I am particularly crazy abouot those bunny pantaloons in the first pic.

9. Guinea Peeg Lover says:

I love the bunny jumping championship! It’s so fun to watch! But then there’s the bunnies that take a five minute break in between each hurdle. They just do it to better show their disapproval.

10. I love the toe-hawk action! I never noticed: do all buns sport mad toe-hawks?

11. LOL! Thanx CO. I needed a good laugh whilst I prep for Hurricane Irene!! :( ugh!!

My bunny, Cloey, only jumped if it resulted in ear rubs or access to treats! I could never have trained him to jump hurdles…

12. 3rd pic, bun4, deff brought his A-game!!

13. One wonders if perhaps greater floof results in greater lift, or if the opposite is true? Cuteologists, grab your Hello Kitty clipboards! We must investigate! (waves pencil in “charge!” gesture)

14. Tim McDaniel says:

In bally old Hun-land, eh wot? That makes them Jerry Springers!

[crickets]

Um, http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/Jerry ? Oh, never mind.

15. A water jump?
    Really?
    Can you just imagine the raging disapproval that would result from a bun landing in the aforementioned water jump?

16. Mary (the first) says:

This is too hilarious! I needed this!

17. (waves away the crickets) Being colonial, I speak ye Olde (20th century) Pythone Englishe: imagine an English bun with a silk aviator scarf, heading for his first jump: “Shan’t prang the kite, leftenent, I’ll badger the Bosche and be back in time for tiffin: ‘Tocks awaaaaaaay!”

18. Actually, many rabbits enjoy water. Some owners even buy little pools for them to float in! Also, notice lack of depth.

19. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing. Boing.

20. Where are the hovertexts?

21. eternalcanadian says:

Hahahaha! Oh those pictures were so cute and funny! I do hope the bunnies weren’t being forced to jump those fences and that they weren’t being harmed or the ilk. Just looking out for their safety and comfort. But still so cute and funny! :)

22. Small correction, the town is called Jena, not Jean.

23. Lol! And you forgot…

“Whee! Whoo-hoo! Yeah, baby! Look at me, look at me, look at me!” :D

24. Haha! Agreed!

Bunny 4, 5, 6 doesn’t quite do justice, does it? Oh, Mayyyy-eeeeeg!

25. Something tells me these buns are so FAR from being used, abused, mistreated or forced to race. I see the fire of competition in them eyes, and they are so ready to go! They live for this!

I’m so crazy for that first bun chilling on the fence. Trying to find a way to grab it off the screen and bring it home to cuddle and love. Not working!

26. Believe me, a bunny that doesn’t want to jump, won’t jump :) You’d be surprised at just how grounded (=flat!) a non-compliant bunny can get if they’re not in the mood to jump. Very nice pictures, kudos to the photographer!

27. bunaloons in pic 1!! :D

28. Bunny hopping contests? Whats next? Competitive cat napping?

29. Yes! I could just hear the bun in pic number three going “Wheeeeee!!” as it sails easily over the jump.

30. Savagewoman says:

As a long-time contestant, I can attest that the water jumps are often used by bunnies to cool off or as drinking fountains. Much to the chagrin of owners and mirth of the audience :D

31. Bumble The Bunny says:

my bunny was trained to do jumping, but now hes lazy and crawl under neath, runs into them, or looks up at me with his head on one side till i pick him up. he wont even go round an obstacle if he doesnt want to jump it. bless him!

32. bookmonstercats says:

What beeeyootiful bunnies. I particularly like top bunny with his/her black pointing and bunny 4/5 with his/her tuxedo markings. However, i will not be picky, I’ll snaffle ‘em all.

33. LMAO @ “competitive cat napping”

You gotta admit, a napping cat is very cute!

34. Fird Birfle says:

*waving pompoms for dub1’s conversion from metric, for “the rest of us”*

35. Fird Birfle says:

Obligatory song ref [but I won’t go to the trubbles to link the song itself]:

“I believe you can f-l-y-y-y-yyyyyyy…..” :)

36. Fird Birfle says:

Non-hoovertext is sometimes a Meg-ism here on / at CO.
    Heck, she STARTED this dang place, so I, for one, will let her slide on this :)

Maybe Goose will insert them, lay-ter!!!

37. Fird Birfle says:

Sounds as though Bumble’s strategy
    for avoiding this activity, is working WELL for him/ her :)

38. Fird Birfle says:

I like the first pic, w/ his lil’ feetsies,
    danglin’ over the “Start” sign in its purty green & blue colors ….

39. A water jump! Can you imagine how disapproving the bun that DOESN’T clear it would be?

40. Bumble The Bunny says:

you bet! he does a sort of rabbit baroo! thing as if to say ‘you want me to jump THAT?… even if its a twig on the ground… its to cute to resist! i tried photographing it, but he jumped over and sat on the camera. first time i’ve seen him step over a twig in a while, but no proof to show for it XD

41. Bumble The Bunny says:

training you rabbit to do this has its downsides- i took bumble to a B.R.C show.. he hopped over the divider on the judges table and landed on another prize mini-lop. he only jumps when it suits him!

42. Fird Birfle says:

*enjoyable snerk*

“sat ON THE CAMERA???”
    wow. He really does have this Bunneh Disapproval Thing DOWN, doesn’t he???? :)

43. That’s not just any sleigh, it looks like Santa Claus driving Bullwinkle!?

44. Cardinal Biggles!

45. That’s what I thought too, Theresa! That’s what prompted the “WTF?”

46. Do you think these bunnies would compete if left to their own devices?

47. Tim McDaniel says:

No, I’m just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.

48. kibblenibble says:

I’m enjoying the bunny pantaloons (bunaloons?) that are apparent in most of these shots, especially pic # 1! :-)

49. Cubbybutt says:

Bun in first pic remembered to bring her 80’s Madonna fingerless gloves to the competition. Awesome.

50. Emmberrann says:

Cats napping is not very competitive since all the cats I ever knew were Masters Champions at finding the most obvious as well as the most peculiar places and/or positions to lightly snooze away….

51. Finest pair I ever saw!

52. Bumble The Bunny says:

you want to try persuading him that he wants to come out of his nice warm hutch for a cuddle in the middle of winter, then that he wants to go back in when he’s piddled down your school uniform, 5 mins before you have leave. i wub him though- especially when he hops onto my lap then onto the floor from the top of hutch- i keep forgetting not to sit to close unless he has a leash on!

53. anonymous coward says:

btw, fyi to other peeps:
    when you send others out to get an extra pack of 12″ ceramic tiles, tell them not to trust what’s on the shelf, but to read the packaging. 30cm x 30cm ***is not*** 12″.

metric is ok, lazy retailers are not.
    and that’s not cute, to boot.

coming back to the rabbits, you have to love Snoopy.
    i wonder if i should get a rabbit to go with my two older cats… they’ll probably wonder what’s that fluffy thing that doesn’t talk… cookies to doughnuts they’d all end up piled up together in marathon lounging sessions… *wishful thinking*

54. Neo wins at the interwebs!

boing boing boing boing ehn! boing boing boing boing boing

55. Augustina says:

From the first pic I thought they were scientifically designed, high tech, jumping sneakers. You know, the Air Jordans of the bunneh jumping world that cushion their little feetsies as they come down.

(RUNS, not walks, to begin business plan and procure patent!)

56. You go Bumble with your personal rebellion and over-enthusiastic approach to befriending another mini-lop. I approve!

57. Lol, because 30cm is 11.8 inches: which reminds me of lazy NASA astronauts computing a Mars orbiter’s course correction thrust in pounds and causing a $125 million US ($120 million Canadian) probe to disintegrate, and why imperial units are still used only in rural Malaysia and India, and uh, other southern outbacks.
    Can you imagine the disapproval of one’s boss for that? Bun-level!

58. Fird Birfle says:

Related Note:
    Best two vocab word choices thus far in the Comments here: “chagrin” & “mirth”.
    Well played, savagewoman!!!

Signed,
    Confirmed Vocab Geek
    (with an MLS to prove it)

59. In the mod lounge, in my smoking jacket and fez, sipping fine brandy, staring down a hutch-worth of bunnular disapproval, possibly for putting the level haitch in the word ‘trust’ to describe space travel.

60. Fird Birfle says:

@ Tim:

I’ll admit, ’twas difficile to myself, as well.
    I was able to lift out one item: “Leftenant” might be the Brits’ equivalent to our term “Lieutenant” ….. Never have researched that one out, altho’ I just might be moved to do so …since me Da’ was ‘Mericun Navy officer, 30 yrs and I’m also a Vocabulary Geek …

61. Folks that enter these competitions love their bunnies very much, and I’d think they wouldn’t mistreat them at all. They probably even give them some shade to keep them nice and cool between events.

Because the last thing we’d want is hot, cross bunnies.

62. Fird Birfle says:

LOVELY :) :)

63. Fird Birfle says:

– “pair” of “pantaloons”, you mean, I would imagine …. 8-O

(just kiddingk :) )

64. … and to remind us of just who is really in control. lol.

65. critterfan says:

I love bunnies–and cute bunny pictures–but I am quite concerned about this “competition.” I looked up an actual news story about this:

Rabbits should be allowed to jump for their own amusement, not for that of humans. The restraints are very dangerous; if the human holding the leash were to stumble, the rabbit could be injured or even killed. The “rationale” of controlling reproduction is not sound, as domestic rabbits should be spayed and neutered; there are so many homeless rabbits that there would be no shortage of pet rabbits.

Let’s enjoy critters without subjecting them to dangerous (and sometimes demeaning) situations for our entertainment. Those of us who are animal lovers need to be speak up for our furry (and feathered, finned, etc.) friends!

66. anonymous coward says:

oops. i meant <>.

’30cm x 30cm’ would be more like ’12″x12″‘

67. As above, a truly disapproving bun will not jump.
    The abuse of their humans, though, is truly appalling.
    Humans should be allowed to run the course for their own amusement, not that of their rabbits. The restraints are dangerous; if the bun holding the leash were to stumble or refuse a jump, its human could be brought crashing to the ground or publically humiliated, to, as above, “the chagrin of the human and the mirth of the audience.”
    Let’s enjoy humans without subjecting them to dangerous and demeaning sport for the buns’ entertainment. Those of us who are human lovers need to speak up for our biped friends! Oh, the humanity!

68. I realize your heart’s in the right place, but I seriously doubt these buns are being abused or otherwise put in danger. If you look at the video Theresa posted in the comments, some of them actually run ahead of their owners to do the courses, without being urged or tugged on at all!

69. Ha. Good one Jimbeaux!

70. I know several people who have cats and rabbits – you’ll want to talk to your local rescue about one that will get along with them, and you’d want a larger one that is less likely to make them think “prey”. But it can work out

71. It’s much like dog agility – some rabbits love the challenge and enjoy doing it with their humans. It gives them interaction and exercise. Some aren’t interested, and you can’t really force them to jump if they don’t want to.

I’ve actually known shy rabbits who “came out of their shell” through clicker-training. It can actually give them a sense of control over their environment, because they can make things happen. I jump over the stick, I get a craisin!

M recently-deceased loppy girl would never have gone for something like this, but I have a foster-bun now that might enjoy it. She’s active, very curious, and loves attention, so I’ve started her standing for treats on “Up!”. Not sure how far we’ll get , as she also has the attention span of a gnat! But I’m hoping it will make her more adoptable – wouldn’t YOU want to adopt a bunny that could jump through a hoop?

72. Gotta love the gym gloves and leg warmers on the first bunny. And with that badass glare, it’s up for any challenge!

73. I have had several bunnies that love water. My first bun, SnowFlake (about 12 pounds) could do the doggy paddle better then most dogs. She had her own pool and i would even fill up the bathtub in the winter so she could swim. It does take awhile to dry them out.

74. Right on! Save the hoomans!

75. bookmonstercats says:

You’ve got it right there, FB. The spelling doesn’t actually support that pronunciation, and we do tend to say “Leu-tenant”. “Leftenent” is for “Hooray Henries” (do you want to work on the lasy one yourself?) ;)

76. bookmonstercats says:

For when I make it out of the mod longe, it should be “last”, not “lasy”.

*Looks around mod lounge approvingly. Nice in here today. The mojitos are especially good and the sun IS over the yardarm where I am*

77. Moi, Actually says:

I think they’re plus fours. Tell me that Bunny 3’s name is Bertie. I love his fuzzy prune of a nose, too.

78. Fird Birfle says:

nice fez :)

79. luvstehQte says:

that was AWESOME! espeshe loved the soundtrack!!!!

80. bookmonstercats says:

For those of you with “snake-itis”, move on to the next post now.

I met a beautiful lady anaconda at an event (she had brought a person with her, to carry her luxury travelling bag). You were allowed to approach her whilst she was coiled in a relaxed manner about her person’s neck and shoulders and gently touch her, which I duly did. I expressed some reservations about how happy she could be, with so many strangers, and her bag-carrier burst out laughing. He said that, as soon as she decided she had had enough, she would go straight into her lovely big bag and stay there and if you want to try to shift an 8 foot anaconda that doesn’t want to be shifted, well……..

81. bookmonstercats says:

They jump around a lot at the best of times….

82. Now here is a research proposal that should get a government grant to fund. Good thinkingz, Dash.

83. Case in point: my lop-bunny, Finnegan, who loves to run out and “get the mail” with me every day. Little booger practically drags me down the three flights of stairs and out into the yard, and then we have to do laps up and down the walk. I am sure my neighbors are chortling at me. But does Finn care? Oh, nooo. He just wants treats.

84. Fezzes are cool.