Volley Good Show!

And now for something completely amazing: Petey the border collie, who serves up volleys in vast volume, using what must be the world’s most resilient nose.

Comments

1. Nice! He does play better volleyball than me!

2. That is one happy dog :)

3. Wow! Judging by his exceptional form, Petey is clearly a Setter, not a border collie!

4. How sweet! I love border collies. They’re such good companions.

5. Okay, so this is me doing the same thing with my nose:

(whomp)

Ow!

(whomp)

Ow!!

(whomp)

Ow!!

6. My dog does this too! Though he’s about 1/3 or less the size of this guy, so he has to opt for inflatable beach balls rather than the heavier volleyballs :)

7. How can that not hurt??? It hurts me just to look at it! I’m assuming those yelps are yelps of enjoyment, not pain, though.

8. 260Oakley says:

Looks like fun, but Petey seems to have suffered a net loss.

9. (The Original) Mel says:

I lub border collies.

10. I miss my Dolly!!! She was the best dog ever. *sniff*

11. arachnophile says:

I LOVE seeing a border collie that’s in a home that challenges them mentally and physically. THESE are the kind of people who end up with such an exceptional and happy doggie.

My hat goes off to them. :)

12. NM the skills of the pup…. what a gorgeous yard!!

13. Fird Birfle says:

He’s also VEWWY VEWWY PWETTY;
    sporting particularly elegant Ear Floof and that black and white design on his clothes!!!

14. That’s pretty cool, but I also wonder if it hurts him?

15. Groan!!

16. the yelps sounded disembodied to me, like they were dubbed in. Around #13 you can see him panting and you can hear the yelp, but his mouth isn’t moving.

17. Clearly an activity best left to the doggehs. *chuckle*

18. I thought the same thing at first but I believe there must be another dog off screen that was doing the yelping because they did not match up with Petey at all except for that first yelp which scared me too.

19. To me it seems like there is an audience, and that’s where the yelps come from. Some other pup is desperate to join in the game!

20. SlaveToCat says:

If I tried that I would break my glasses.

Through speedy pete a scooby snack.

21. You got to the setter joke before me! Well done!

22. Poor doggie gradually stops jumping as high or as vigorously around volley 25, and I can’t blame him! {throws special treats to Petey}

23. luvstehQte says:

i thought so too! my dream yard AND my dream dog. *is jealous* *pouts*

24. Such fancy jump stylin’!

25. MaddieLariv says:

It’s like Air Bud, but way cuter.

26. How fun!! And can I just vacation in your yard!? Dang!

27. Makes me so happy!

28. JohnnyJohnny says:

I thought the same thing too but he’d probably not do it if it kept hurting him. Also, the sound of the ball is odd, as if it is only partially inflated. A full volleyball has a real high pitched thud to it.

29. cellarmouse says:

hah

30. leaves of cat grass says:

i know i say this a lot, but this is the BEST THING I’VE EVER SEEN!!!! EVER!!!! i mean it this time.

31. TrixandSam says:

Excellent. just excellent.

32. My border collie used to do the same! They quickly bite the ball and send it flying back, they don’t just let it bounce off their nose. I was worried the dirty football (soft kiddy version, not the real, hard one) would eventually wear his front teeth down (it’s surprising how fast tooth enamel gets damaged) so I didn’t let him do this a lot.
    I miss him…

33. you should see his buddy, spike

34. part of having a dog is having had a dog.

35. SheepishKitty says:

I know I can’t even aim for the first one let alone doing 32 straight. great job to the doggie!

36. Petey is a god. Bow down to Petey.

37. What a cool doggie! But doesn’t his/her noise hurt?

38. That was meant to say “nose” of course. Stupid predictive text on my mobile. ;-)

39. Alice Shortcake says:

I don’t think he’d do it if it was painful, but after three or four volleys MY nose began to throb in sympathy!

40. Dog only hits the ball 16 times. Is there some sort of weird volleyball rule where her 16 count for his score?

41. The dog probably mows the lawn, too!

42. Petey is an AWESOME pup!! I worried about his nose, too, but I think he was snapping at the ball and having it bounce away from his jaws closing rather than bouncing it off his nose like a seal would. You could hear some of the jaw snaps and he seemed to attack the ball with his mouth rather than his nose.

43. DEFINITELY plays better than me…the last time I played, I broke a finger…in 1974…;)

44. Brad Tripp says:

Petey is a Sheltie not a border collie

45. SheepishKitty says:

That’s the reason why I did not want to play volleyball. I remember in grade school I rather sit out and get an F than to play volleyball, I was deathly fearful of breaking my finger bones or getting a concussion

46. Janet in NYC says:

Incredible!

47. just brill.. my hound would not be smart enough he’d want to eat the ball.

48. Ditto. Must be some place in the southeast…those are palms in the back, yes?

49. *giggls* :lol:

50. Yeah, Petey, that last miss was totally the human’s fault. Bad placement on that bump. *gives him a big rub*

51. Doglet has one highly boop-able nosicle!