And Now, Back to “Decorating with Dogs”

Hello again! At the start of our program, we saw how to make a stirring re-creation of “Washington Crossing the Delaware” using crepe paper, felt swatches, and a litter of Chihuahuas, and in this half-hour, we’ll make this beautiful Fall centerpiece…

Tastefully photographed by Janie Jones.

1. What is beyond REDONKULOUS? We need a new neologism!

PS: Has the OED recognized “redonkulous” yet?

2. tracylee says:

it’s only a matter of time, Th.

3. Is that early thanksgiving in pooch land?

4. You have to start early to have your centerpiece ready in time. I don’t think doggie would like to stay there till Thanksgiving though.

5. That’s where the glue gun comes in, per hovertext. :P

6. kimmaroo says:

That hovertext comment killt me ded.

7. BTW, this is so much like my sweet, adorable SIL’s Thanksgiving centerpiece, it’s uncanny. No doggeh, though.

8. Cornucopia of adorable-ness.

9. A litter of Chihuahuas? French Bulldog you mean… CUTE!

10. This is a Frenchie. But the Delaware crossing was all Cheehooeyhooeys!

11. warrior rabbit says:

Accompanied by Chai Chai Rodrihgwez? (I recognize a Les Nessman ref when I see it!) Maybe this centerpiece will earn the Frenchie a coveted Silver Sow Award!

12. Oh good lord. This is hilariously silly.

13. I want to see Wahwahs Crossing the Delaware!!

You have piqued my curiosity, NTMTOM!

14. victoreia says:

Yeah, where’s the YouTube clip? :evil:

15. Darn!!! I missed the opening segment too with the wawas!!! (frantically checks TiVo . . . )

16. Maybe I should have said WahWahshington Crossing the Delaware…

17. It’s an adorable autumnal pupkin centerpiece.

18. kimmaroo says:

Heeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

19. bookmonstercats says:

Brilliant hovertext. Captures doggeh’s expression perfectly.

What is he, BTW? he looks like a pug crossed with something else.

20. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

According to the Flickr page for this photo (click the link underneath the picture), this is a French Bulldog.

21. bookmonstercats says:

Zee Fronch, zey are ze best.

22. BWAHAHAHA… at the rollover text…

23. and may I be the first to say: BEEP!

24. Do NOT remind me that Fall is coming. I WILL not be held responsible for the results. *wanders off muttering about ^&%^$*&(*&&%^%$ post &(*&^$”!*() fall, ^%$”))$!””£$!”! SUMMER’s NOT OVER YET!!!

25. I hear ya, Wend, I can’t stand it. I love baseball, and all I hear about now is football, football, football. I like football too, but don’t talk to me about it until after the World Series. :P Which, BTW, is in October. I heard somebody say yesterday, “Well, I think it’s pretty much a lock that it’ll be Boston and SF.” Which sounds awesome, but DAMN. Why don’t we just stop THE REST OF THE BASEBALL SEASON, and get that pesky series out of the way now. None of us can wait for it to be– what? WINTER? *evil*

My grandma always used to say “Don’t wish your life away.” And dammit, she’s DEAD. SO THERE. :P

26. Well I wish I could come back and give you a smack on the head, so THERE.

27. skippymom says:

28. Wend, your message touched off a sympathetic rant-fest from me, which has landed me in moderashe. Skoal, everybody!

29. If you lived in Texas, you’d be begging for fall to begin NOW!

30. (The Original) Mel says:

I am sweltering in Texas even as I write this. There is no autumn. There is only the moment at which the scorched leaves give up the ghost.

31. bookmonstercats says:

It’s alternating between p*ss*ng it down over here in the UK, at monsoon levels and being so muggy we can’t sleep so we’re all feeling ill. Roll on the Autumn; we sometimes rejoice in clement weather.

My sympathy to y’all in Texas.

32. Well, up here in Alberta-land, it’s commonly held that we did not HAVE a summer last year (we had one day when the temp neared 100 F), and this year has been a bit of a mixed bag, with a Verry cold spring, and summer getting off to a late start. None-the-less, those of you sweltering in heat waves, or other unclement weather devices do have my sympathy…. hey, come share my summer here :)!

33. Uh, yeah. I live in Arizona. Y’all can just shaddup. It’s 250 degrees, 190 percent humidity (which this year is all we’re getting for our “monsoon”) but we have had no rain for months. I just walked two blocks and actually have a sunburn through 70 SPF sunblock.

34. Don’t get me started.

35. i wholeheartedly agree. summer is just starting! LALALALALALALALALA!

36. 2ScoopsRice says:

Looks like French inspired interior decorating, and that’s no bull, dawg…

37. skippymom says:

Dear Ms. Rice,
    Just to let you know, we see what you’re up to. We recognize that you are in an undeclared competition with 260Oakley. And, yes, you’re good, but you will need to pun here for a few more years before you are a serious contender. So go ahead and keep at it, but just saying. OK? Cheers.

38. *Robert DeNiro “my eye on you” gesture*

39. TrixandSam says:

Agreed, skippymom.

There’s a subtlety and sophistication to 260Oakley’s skills that is yet unmatched. The superior punster delivers as if to slip the wordplay by the reader. But the brilliance then reveals itself in a flash, leaving the reader breathless, stunned and delighted. THIS is 260O.

40. victoreia says:

Ah, but what better place for 2ScoopsRice to polish her (his?) punning skills?

(BTW, TrixandSam? I heard that last sentence in James Earl Jones’ voice. Niiice.)

41. bookmonstercats says:

The Oakster reigns supreme, but the competition from 2ScoopsRice is worthy.

42. TrixandSam says:

victoreia: reading that last line in JEJ’s voice was the intention! Glad to hear you “heard” it that way.

43. 2ScoopsRice says:

Dear Ms. Skippy,

I don’t understand why you’re under the notion that I’m in an “undeclared competition with 260Oakley”. I simply enjoy being here for the mere entertainment, even if the only one amused by my silliness, is me. And if other people get a giggle from one of my kooky comments, all the better. ;)

I got my big girl panties on and can handle the fact you feel the need to “put me in my place” and act as 260Oakley’s self-appointed security guard. But I have nothing against 260Oakley and have absolutely no reason to.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…

July 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm
    No competition with Oakley…just inspiration!

I adores Oakley’s comments…leaves me thinking, “Why in the name of corn on the cob didn’t I fink of saying that?!”

44. Looks like we’re gonna need some pudding here. It’s been a while. . . .

45. *THWOCK*

46. okay, girls, settle down in there.

47. skippymom says:

Sigh. Friendly joking around doesn’t seem to be working for me lately, in my “real” life either. Maybe I’ll just give it up and be totally serious all the time, so nobody has to figure out which it is. Sigh.

48. Those glue guns can be “ruff” on a pup !

49. I’ve tried so very hard to get my beast to sit in my centerpiece, but my table’s not big enough, and she’s very gangly.

50. Tracylee, is it you who is the custodian of that awesome Longshanked Brindled Needlenose?

51. yes ma’am!
    I’ve (temporarily and experimentally) changed my photo to a Mutts comic strip racing greyhound. I will probably change it back soon, as the L.B.N. is quite pretty to look at.

52. TrixandSam says:

*politely borrows Theresa’s pom-poms*
    Yeay! Mutts comic!!
    *vigorously shakes pom-poms, returns them to Theresa*

53. *snortlaff*

if you’re interested in the specific Mutts, let’s see if this link works

54. this might be one of the many new features on CO. if you mouseover (or “hover”) an avatar, you can see all the other images someone used for his/her profile pic.

55. skippymom says:

Excuse me, people? Can anyone remind me how, or direct me to instructions, for putting up my avatar? I got a new computer, and Skippy’s picture is gone and I want to put it back. Thank you.

56. I think you just need to log back in to your Word Press account?

57. /shaking Theresa’s pompons/ Skippy! Skippy! We want Skippy!

58. skippymom says:

I’ll see what I can do. But remember, the almighty Skippy is with you always, even if you can’t see his picture.

59. Amen! I believe!

60. skippymom says:

Skippy says, “Bless you, my child.”

61. kimmaroo says:

cj, I just noticed you have TWO GBCWBGEs??? I’m very nearly insanely jealous. I’ve only ever had one at a time.

62. Actually, I have FOUR GBCWBGEs. Yes, I am supremely blessed. :) The two in my avatar, Sparky and Elaine, just happen to hang out together and curl up together alot. It is cute-to-die-for!! I sometimes call them my little black beans…

63. Fird Birfle says:

O look !!! It’s MARTHA STEWART, omnimedia !!!!

64. skippymom says:

Hey Fird, did I hear you recently had another near-deth experience?

65. Fird Birfle says:

@ skippymom: this one was medical and surgical…however this time
    I wasn’t *quite ded yet*.

They replaced a part, which *used to work just fine*, before the other surgery ….
    and this surgery has been a bit more tender and slower recuperation. The part which was replaced, made sitting in the chairs at this apartment’s computer lab
    EXCRUCIATINGLY AWFUL horribly yucky-poo. Thus my non-CO ness for awhile.
    But in the past several days, they took something out again and things are returning to some semblance of normalcy.

Thanks for asking!

66. skippymom says:

Wow! So you’re, like, pretty much bionic at this point, huh?

67. Fird Birfle says:

The surgeon said he was following this webpage for his instructions ;) :

68. HAW!!!

69. PS. that was for Martha Stewart, not Firdie’s near-deth.

70. Fird Birfle says:

71. kimmaroo says:

A glue gun, a seasonal craft project, and the CEO’s beloved pet…..this concept has TV show segment AND magazine article written all over it. Someone in that organization is kissing up BIG time.

72. I’d make that decoration! But I’d leave the puppy out and take him home.

73. i’d leave the puppy right where she is and throw the rest out. i would be totally thankful then.

74. snorglepup says:

I’ve been decorating with cat hair for a while now. I appreciate it’s ability to
    insulate and take the shape of items below.
    I’m looking up at my ceiling fan with furry stelagtites along the blades.
    Gives a warm, homey touch.

75. lol!

76. luvstehQte says:

i’ve been doing the same with the dog hair. i notice that when the ceiling fan’s running, those stalactites aren’t nearly as noticeable, so i keep mine running all the time. much better that way than cleaning them. *blech* (that’s for the cleaning, not the dog hair) :)

77. looks like a prototype for a disapproving fruit bat