Time, Thou Art a Fickle Mistress

Oh sure, I was young once. The shiny ceramic supper dish, the squeaky toys with the fresh vinyl scent, “who’s the bestest boy?” — I had it all, and it was glorious.

Now look at me. Exiled to the “butt bed” while the new kid gets my favorite plaid cushion, trying to remember the exact moment when it all went wrong.

We’ve seen this scene before, Katie R.

1. bkeenuig whippersnapopers and their confounded stealing of an old duffers bed

2. Um, whut? :|

3. WUT

4. Theresa, no one makes me laugh in quite the way you do.

5. Hi Theo!!!! *waves* Are you still on leave??

6. Sadly, no. Definitely not. But it was a good time. :)

7. skippymom says:

She said bkeenuig. What part don’t you get?

8. Rats that was supposed to say bleening.

9. and Whippersnappers.. Hangs head in shame….

10. baby birdie says:

Bleening whippersnapopers?

11. LOL You guys are going to get me in trouble at work…

12. There was another comment correctiong my whippersnapopers to whippersnappers .. sadly it is stuck in moderation becasue obviously I am a spammer ROFL

13. Sigh now all my comments are in the moderation lounge. :(

14. 260Oakley says:

Plenty of butt beds in the Mod Lounge. Pull one up and sit a spell. ;)

15. (Circulates Mod Lounge with a tray of fruity drinks with umbrellas in them, s’mores and hummingbirds with hot towels)

16. Oh, I dunno. I think whippersnapopers is even MORE hilarious than whippersnappers! I’m gonna have to remember that one . . .

17. Do what you want, because you will anyway. Young ‘ens these days……….

18. Just typical sweet sighthound politeness. “You take the big bed, little buddy.”

19. tracylee says:

pffft… I dunno what sighthounds you know… :D
    mine gets all antsy whenever anyone else is in her bed, and paces around it giving the stinkeye!

20. Tracylee, but she doesn’t take the offending party by the scruff of the neck and catapult him/her into net week, does she? :mrgreen:

21. ah, not yet at least…
    you got me there

22. can not stop laughing at “butt bed”. I’m really immature.

23. Andi in NC says:

you’re not alone – that one took me out as well….

24. Red Toenails says:

He said “butt bed.” Tehe…

25. it’s more fun being immature. I visited my nieces and nephews last week, and the 5 year old kept announcing whenever he farted. We all thought it was hilarious…

26. 2ScoopsRice says:

I think farting is more hilarious than my kids do…and they are 8 1/2, 7, and 4! I’m a simple woman, what I say? ;)

27. Red Toenails says:

Farting rocks! Wait…not that you fart rocks, but you know…oh, you know what I mean!

28. 2ScoopsRice says:

8-) Red…you fart rocks?! That like takes farting to a whole ‘nother dimension!

29. Lerrinus says:

I snorked out loud at work at butt-bed too! :lol:

30. Bottle Green says:

Yeah, “butt bed” keeps making me sporfle at work.

31. And “sporfle” is inducing in me the exact same reaction!

32. Poor Old Boy – you want a home – I’ll come pick you up

33. tracylee says:

I like big mutts and I cannot lie.

34. You pupperlovers can’t deny…

35. Thanks for the ear worm you guy ! Now I gotta go to YouTube & hear
    the original ! Maybe I’ll listen to the burger king version too.

36. Or the historical-architecture-critique version!

37. Fird Birfle says:

….the mind boggles …..

38. 8O

OK, YouTube segue… can’t help myself…

39. Gawd, I love the internet!!

40. Yeah, what you said, except I cannot YouTube at work. *sad*

41. 260Oakley says:

Now why on earth hasn’t this video gone viral? I would think it would spread like the… oh, never mind.

42. when a mutt walks in with an itty bitty face……..

43. Hilarious.

44. We know how it feels to become 2nd best all of a sudden :( http://rummychulbullal.tumblr.com/post/6892902240/we-all-like-our-nap-time

45. Birdcage says:

Awww, that made me kinda sad. Maybe it’s because I have a milestone birthday coming up in a few weeks and I’ve been feeling kinda like this, all exiled to the butt-beds of life am I …..

46. Here at CO, we are all little cuties!

47. kibblenibble says:

Me, too, Birdcage. Everybody keeps saying, “What are you going to do for your birthday? It’s a big one, ya know.” I’m so grateful to be reminded. :roll:

48. victoreia says:

Yish, I hate it when people do that!

Of course, you could always say you’re giving away free knuckle sandwiches….. :evil:

49. kibblenibble says:

50. kibblenibble says:

BTW, “exiled to the butt-beds of life…” awesome! :lol:

51. Woofy'sMa says:

“…exiled to the butt-beds of life…” I’ll have to remember that – more meaning then the phrase, ‘growing old gracefully’ . Poor baby! I want to put him on a big soft bed that’s all his own. I wuv him.

52. It sounds like a country song:

Exiled to the butt-beds of life
    And she stole my pickup too

53. Andi in NC says:

This almost rings of “cute or sad.” My hope is that since momma took a picture she must see the humor/ridiculousness of it all and loves them both equally (as all good mommas should)

54. Like Beevis in butt-bed?

55. Fird Birfle says:

or — “ruh-roh” (per Scooby-Doo) :)

56. nice….

57. Time, Thou Art a Fickle Mistress
    For I was Once Upon a larger Mattress…

58. SheepishKitty says:

59. What a nice goggie to let the little one have the big bed!
    I want to give him a big smooth.

60. Gitcher butt back in bed!

Oh wait…

61. Here, old boy. I’ll build you a ramp up to my mattress and you can share my queen-size bed.

62. Moi, Actually says:

It’s Sir Andrew Aguecheek: “I was adored once too.”
    (Shakespeare–could I make this up?)

63. With this and that other post last week, it’s like CO’s trying to impart an important life lesson here – “cute young usurpers must be dealt with summarily forthwith”. Yes, yes, that must be it. Thank you CO, I shall add that to my list of Rules for Being a Cute Overlord.

64. Fird Birfle says:

….considers enjoyable one-liners that could be made,
    from the combination of the adjective “fickle” and the noun “pickle” … :)

65. This is totally the dog version of King Lear.

66. (The Original) Mel says:

When you get older, sometimes a butt bed is enough.

67. I want to put a little pillow under the big one’s head. He looks so resigned to it all.

68. I saw this before somewhere and I love now as much as love it then. *squeals*

It’s just one of those pictures you can’t stop staring at because it unleashes so many happy, warm feelings! And you know in my experience most large dogs are as sweet and generous as Gray Goliath here. Must be in the DNA.

Thank you for sharing with us this marvelous image!

69. I’m looking at Goliath’s side-eye and he seems to be daring his owners to take the shot. A sort of “Don’t you DARE.” Lolz!

70. I have seen that little pink bed before

71. swampdiamonds says:

That dog clearly has the most. tragic. life. EVER.

I’d like to know how many dramatic sighs occurred before, during, and after he settled for the tiny bed…

72. punkinberry says:

Yay, Irish Wolfhound! I learned to walk hanging onto one of those guys…

73. I’ve seen that little pink bed before! And with a wolfhound mix, no less.

http://www.madcowsrunning.com/whipped.jpg (still from our petcam).

74. Something tells me that we missed the climax/confrontation between the second and third pic.

75. Cat cuddled up next to dog, dog went “Ew! Cat-cooties!” several minutes of stuffing dog-butt into cat bed ensued. She is fully aware of the power of cat-cooties and uses it to her advantage regularly.

76. Well, when you lose your money, learn to lose.

77. Chelsea D says:

Um…. “butt-bed”?!?!?! Dying. I’m dying over here…

78. Third Shift says:

Come with us big guy! In my house, the sighthounds get a bed, a couch, another couch, the closet (carpeted, thank you), an inflatable pool, and the bed gets moved around to the sunny spots in the winter, and a dark corner when it’s thunderstorm-ing. Also, yogurt and shiken. But not together. Blech.

79. tracylee says:

woahhh… I cannot let my grey read this or she will pack a bag and be on the first bus to Third Shift’s house… holy guacamole…!

80. In one of those nausea-inducing ahrtsy-fahrtsy team-building exercises, they asked us to define the difference between entitlement and obligation: I’ve found my illustration!
    Smug-comfy-snoozy vs. wide-awake forlorn uncomfy duty, but in five words or less:
    queen-sized mattress vs. butt-bed.

81. Ginormous dog is ginormous.

82. Papa Dog reminds me of Maru and small boxes

83. hilarious/sweet/sad/awesome pic!

84. Too stinkin’ cute!!
    Hi Theo!
    Butt beds & snorfl………..*snort*

85. Even the plaid bed would be too small for Mr. Wolfhound. Someone get him a California King-size bed!

86. i_wuvs_puttins says:

Is the big puppeh an Italian Spinone?

87. Inequality makes baby Jesus cry.

88. Gail White says:

Face it, big shaggy gray dog, you’ve had your time…Now you look shabby and fleabitten and it’s time to make way for youth and cuteness…Life is like that.
    We’ve all been there.

89. NOOOOOO he be stealin your bed.
    I will take you Noble Deerhound!!!!

this maded me sad

90. Padfoot_Lives says:

This is one of the best things I have ever seen on CO.

Am I really the only one that suspects the big guy actually purposely usurped the wee pup’s bed, not the other way around?

91. At the “butt bed” ref I wet my pants.

92. Maybe the Big Doggay wanted to cool his cookies on the nice, unupholstered floor!

93. hi there! not only is that crazy adorable – but it’s a little eerie -that big boy looks JUST like our Wally, a 8 mo. old rescue pup. any idea what breed he is?