Rubber Baby Ballet Bumper

Time for a do-it-yourself mashup: First, click the arrow below to start the music…

… and now that we’ve set the proper mood, please enjoy the underwater antics of six-month-old Adhama, new hippo calf at the San Diego Zoo.

Comments

1. cafegrrl says:

Adorable!

2. Floating Blorp

3. “Look, Mom, I can do the backstroke!”

4. Water ballet has never been so elegant (or so full of blorpitude…)

5. I call Fantasia!

6. Queen of Dork says:

Way cool, Theresa! I was trying to find the scene from The Brave Little Toaster which had (maybe sort of) something to do with this whole thread but instead I found this and I kind of got facsinated with the title and well, one thing led to another and it just seemed interesting and well…I don’t know…the lamp is pretty cute and… (It’s REALLY quite a good movie)

7. wannadance says:

as a former ballet dancer i gotta say that was lovely, really wonderful. if you keep hitting replay the waltz just keeps playing and the clip repeats. some things i love: pointed toes, demi pointe landings with plies. i mean this babe has got it down.

on the other hand, many newborneds are pretty funny looking, my daughter looked like the missing link and grew up to be the most stunningly beautiful person in the whole family. but this newbornt is, how you say, mud ugly. i am sure that’s a interspecies comment and i only mean, as they say, ‘in the face’. great tailio, though, tiny tusks, and can’t get over the po inted toes.

nomtom, thank you. just a thrill for me…btw, which sweat suit are you wearing to our wedding? i wanted to wear the white one with the sequins but fear i would more resemble the cake than the bride. maybe purple to match my chair???

8. wannadance says:

my goodness: in the mod lounge? what did i say???
    pass them eeeeeclaires mah way…

9. earlybird1 says:

Who knew hippos could be so graceful? :)

10. 260Oakley says:

That’s because their mothers are so Gizealous about getting their calves to ballet class!

11. Who knew they had such fun?

12. Camaleao says:

Interactive goodness… I loves it.

13. It’s sad when a hippo is more graceful than me, and I don’t even have that much blorp!

14. They give manatees a run for their money.

15. scarleybelle says:

Their gorgeousness just makes me happy!

16. Oh dear heavens. I really didn’t need to know that people are seeing subtext to the Little Toaster.

17. Babby hippo is kind of like when astronauts in space are weightless, floating around inside the spaceship!

18. Make that bebbeh hippo. :)

19. I want MORE

20. Love the extra interactiveness of the audio file, NTMTOM!!

21. Suzjeffs says:

Looks like me trying to get out of the bathtub! xD

22. Now I wanna go swimmin.

23. @ Debg… I know, right!?!

24. Ditto

25. I like that no matter where you are in the audio file it fits to what the baby hippo is doing ROFL!

26. Theresa says:

Genius, NTMTOM! Now let’s play “Dark Side of the Moon.” :mrgreen:

27. Queen of Dork says:

Please don’t tempt me. I’ll do it. I swear, I’ll find Floyd and play it. :)

28. Leilani says:

Who knew that something that blorpy could be so graceful and agile?! What an adorable little hippo! And I love how Mama gives it a nudge to keep it in the right direction.

29. TrixandSam says:

I love you, wanna-d! You write from the heart. Really wonderful.

(Can i be a bridesmaid?? pleeeeeaaase???)

30. Fantasia is realitia!!!

31. Fantasia! Exactly what I had in mind!

32. (The Original) Mel says:

Ha.

33. Ok, one question: With that weird little stubbular tail, just WHAT good does a tail do for a hippo? It’s hardly a rudder for underwater navigation like this.. Maybe it’s just something to cover their.. um… Well, y’know..

34. Brilliant, CO!

35. Moi, Actually says:

Disney, toasters, Strauss, subtext–it’s totally hippoposterous.

36. victoreia says:

Queenie, I dares ya!

37. Great way to start the day! The water and flubb is hypnotic…

38. Alice Shortcake says:

Give ‘em another few millon years and these animals will be totally aquatic. Well, it worked for whales and dolphins!

39. Starfish says:

Re: Hovertext: Mama Hippo’s got bubbles coming out of her nose! *snickers*

On a related-ish note: I love this Strauss piece, so this made my morning.

40. wannadance says:

you speak such troot. i cannot even look with that in mind. you left out the falling and the screeching and the loud thonk…dear me…

41. Big belly laugh here. I feel your pain.

42. Rubber Baby Ballet Bumpers; Rubber Ballet Baby Buggies;
    Rubber Buggy Baby Bumpers; Bumpy Baby Rubber Ballet;
    Buggy Baby Rugby Bumpers; Rubber Ballet Bumpers–No Baby;
    Argh!!!……. No Rubber or Ballet or Bumpers either……..!
    *runs screaming down the hall*…….. :shock:

43. doomchild says:

If you really want to know, it’s for spreading their poop. That’s how they mark their territory…
    soz for ruining it for ya :P

44. Lewis n' Clark says:

Q of D – have you heard from Fird Birfle lately?

45. My favorite scene from Fantasia! So glad to see that it is, indeed, reality TV.

46. LOL

47. They’re all born ballerinas!
    That’s just a hippopothesis…

48. flight of the conchords, yay!

49. LMAO!

50. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Showed up on wimp.com today!! Who’s on the cutting edge of finding cuteness? CO is, CO is!

51. BumbleBeeBunny says:

Can you PASS that BIG BOX of kleenex? This video brought a tear to my eye.