It Just Works Redonkulously

With today’s release of “Lion,” its newest operating system, Apple is running out of big cats to use as code names. But Twitter user Kookizu has an elegant idea: OS X Maru, with advanced functions ready to go, right out of the box — assuming you can get it out of the box.

Thanks to Twitter user SunnyinSyracuse for keeping us on our toes.

Comments

1. isabelle says:

EXCELLENT!
    I’m so laughing, can’t stop. hahahaha!

Isabelle, using Maru in her MacBook :o)

2. I’m a PC < but I approve of this message.
    And I can hardly wait for the themesong by Lonely Island: Maru in a Box

3. Hi, I’m Jessy, and I used to be a PC. I am now a Maru-Mac all the way!

4. flutterby says:

LOL…Im sure removing this from the box will require expert tech support, though!

Just an observation from past demonstrations….

5. flutterby says:

Sowwy, NTMTOM, you already mentioned that particular difficulty! I’m just slow on the uptake here!

6. Purrrrfect!!!

7. ROFL… too funny and just too perfect!

8. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

S’okay, I like your angle on it as well. :)

9. Ironically, you can’t get Lion in a box.

10. I’ve been having a stressful last couple of days. Let’s just sum it up as office politics.

The photo of Maru with the crabshell hat, tiled, is my current desktop wallpaper. :D

11. I’m assuming this is available for download in the NAPP store?

12. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Noted — but you can always find Maru lyin’ in a box. ;)

13. Billie-Jo says:

I love it! I am so going to upgrade! Apple is missing out on a huge marketing opportunity here – I would be much more tempted to upgrade to a Maru than a ho-hum lion or tiger. Give us some personality!

14. Schrödinger’s OS X?

15. Cool that system looks like if has alot of bytes! lol
    The eyes are adorable looking mischevious! luv it.
    My kitty likes taxi rides in boxes. :)

16. He/she is waiting for the mouse! ok I am done..

17. That is just purrfect. LOL.

18. Birdcage says:

Maru aside, what will Apple use that is grander than the so-called King of Beasts when the time comes? What about the Liger? They are bigger. Or they could leave the big cats behind, and strike out into marine mammals.

19. How about mud daubers? They like to make nests in window frames…

20. Very funny, Other Mike :)

21. Maru also had an appearance on The Daily Show last night!! Ponies!

22. Loren Pechtel says:

A self-installing OS! (At least in the PC world us technical types very often call the main unit the box. Are Macs also called boxes?)

23. I’m not even a cat person (please, people, don’t hurt me) but Maru rocks my socks!!!

24. Cirocco J says:

Maru can win over anyone.

25. Mary (the first) says:

Getting Maru out of the box isn’t that hard, he loves to jump out. But *keeping* him out, that’s the tricky part!

26. tracylee says:

wait… I’ve always wondered, NTMTOM, who was the Mike someone thought you were? if you’re the other, who else could there possibly be?!

27. wuyizidi says:

That might be problematic, as Maru likes to think inside the box.

28. wuyizidi says:

How about “Sabre-tooth” (Smilodon californicus)?

29. Hmm, do we really want to take Maru out of the box? He might suffer and become catophobic. We sure would not want that. After all, once a boxaholic, always a boxaholic. Sure we can get him out at feeding time but then he would just hop back in the box.

30. We are Mac people and we are Maru people- what a fabulous combo! Apple really does need to get in on this.

31. I wonder when Sockington is gonna get his own OS.

32. Fantabulous.

33. Elena1030 says:

I’m chuckling b/c this particular LOL made it to the front of my office door before it got on CO.com. But glad y’all have posted it. BEST LOL EVAR!!!!

34. Or at least sit inside the box. I’m not sure how much thinking he’s doing in there.

35. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

My pen name on this site comes from years ago, when I was just “Mike” and another user with that name was behaving badly, so I changed my name to distance myself.

The other explanation is that, in any situation where there are two or more people named Mike, I am never the Mike that anyone’s looking for. :)

36. Brilliant, just brilliant.

37. tracylee says:

pffft you’re clearly the only Mike who counts here…
    (and where else do you need to go in life, really?)

38. Humorously, NTMTOM, when I was in high school 3 of my 5 best friends were all named Mike; which led to continuous confusion and use of the phrase, “not that Mike, the other Mike.”

Now, twentysome years later, I again use that phrase when explaining to my co-workers why I’m LMAO, when in fact I have no one else named Mike in my life.

39. Au contraire, mon ami Not Mike (or whatever your name is). Some of us come here every day just hoping to find you. :mrgreen:

40. Rebecca says:

…tried to make him go to boxhab, he said no, no, no…

41. Seriously genius and beautiful altogether at once. Could not love this more!

42. Oh no. You’re the one and only Notmike as far as we’re concerned.

43. Good one, Valerie!

44. Kross10c says:

thanks for the laugh. that was an awesome comment that came out of no where. :)

45. Boxes.. Mac’s answer to Windows..
    Brought to you by Maru..

46. puffy21 says:

LOL! Thats so cute

47. victoreia says:

:lol:

48. LaurenW says:

This version will come with a free mouse. And a tambourine. And several extra boxes.

49. @AuntieBellum
    What she said! ♥

50. ahahahahahahahahhahaha

51. jlamusings says:

hahaha! I can hear the tech support calls now:
    “What seems to be the problem?”
    “Well, since I got my OS, my computer seems to be sliding across the floor a lot.”
    “O…k….”
    “It also seems to want to be brushed and and play with a toy mousie.”
    *long pause*
    “I’m sorry. Did you say ‘toy mousie’???”

52. jlamusings says:

*oops* forgive the double “and.” Long day! :-)

53. Maru makes my day, everyday~~

54. bookmonstercats says:

He’s thinking that if you try to get him out of that box, AuntieB, you’d better have the first-aiders standing by.

55. bookmonstercats says:

No more needed……

56. bookmonstercats says:

Yay for Sockington.

57. enormous cost-saving measure, an operating system that boxes itself.

Disclaimer: may not have any other features, except maybe fad-worthy marketability

58. wuyizidi says:

Wow, guess we can’t use that joke anymore (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/world/europe/24amy.html).

59. They have GOT to use this for the next iteration of OSX! Perfect!

60. Squeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

61. snoopysnake says:

We like the commercial by Sprint for its smartphones seekiing to add more kitties to the Internet. I think this would be a GREAT chance for Apple to add even more kitties to the Internet with Mamu.

62. luvstehQte says:

love, love , love; could not love it more!

63. i’d totally buy mac os x maru

64. If Apple wants to say their system is fast, maybe they should call it Cheetah.

Maru makes it sound like it’s a friendly system though, so maybe it’s a good option too. :-)

65. :lol: Maru is just having fun :lol:

66. @ jullabThe thing about maru is that he is a very famous cat in Japan that loves to get into boxes and tiny spaces… I think that’s why they chose him.
    he’s just the cutest thing. Also his name means ball/round.
    To all cute overloaders… check Maru’s youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/mugumogu?feature=chclk
    he also has a book but it’s only available in Japan