Feeding Time

Now, let’s see… You get some duck food, and you get some duck food, and you get some duck food (wow, I feel just like Oprah here!)…

Well, that was fun. I wonder what’s for lunch?

Posted to our Twitter feed by Elise S.

Comments

1. mamabear says:

I love when the little guys dive under and disappear like that; pop up way over there.

There’s nothing happier than a duck havin’ a good time splashin’!
    :D

2. I’ve seen pictures of birds feeding fish– the gaping mouth looks like a baby bird’s and triggers the “stuff food in there” instinct. But ducks don’t feed their precocial babies, so I have no idea what’s triggering this.

3. What’s wrong with this picture?? Charity in the wild? Interspecies kindness?
    Hmmm…. why can’t we have this in the civilized world….
    (Hmmm; I must go have a cheezburger and ponder on this……!!) :shock:

4. OMG I am sitting here in Awe!

::Brain shuts down from too much information::

5. Ducky is much more patient than I was when assigned to circulation desk. :P

6. I could never have imagined this scenario. Total squeeness abounds!

7. Watch out, little bebe! Koi are greedy little suckers. Greedy koi swarms are kind of disturbing when you see them in person.

8. Fird Birfle says:

*enjoying the mental picture of la Therese negotiating
    with a select group of juvenile delinquent non-library-book-usin’-squatters,
    at 2:30 pm daily*

9. Mom, Mom! Did you see me?? I fed the fishes! Did you see? Huh?

10. Fird Birfle says:

“…..and YOU”RE going to Australia!!!11!!!; and YOU”RE
    going to Australia !!!11!!!; …” / etc. :)

11. Mallards like their food wet, so if they are given dry food and water is near they will pick up bits and then dip their bills in water as they eat it. Still very cute though.

12. Again, I got that rare now-I-have-seen-everything-feeling … Thanks, cuteoverload :-D

13. Moi, Actually says:

I was kinda worried for a moment when he ducked under and disappeared. I mean, them’s big carp. Could have given ‘feeding the carp’ a whole new meaning.

14. Oprah-duck FTW!!!!!!!

15. Ducky better be careful! I’ve seen carp eat baby ducks before. :(

16. NO WAY

17. crazy wienerdog lady says:

I guess I’ll throw my biology crap out there and ruin everyone’s cuteness of the video LOL. He’s not feeding the Koi, he’s wetting his food so he can eat it and the koi are coming up and trying to take it from him. Duck’s like to dip their food in water before they eat it. But it is cute! :)

18. Mary (the first) says:

See, that’s what I thought, looked like he was just wetting the food and the carps were trying to share. It’s still cute!! They’re kind of accidentally smooching so it’s like inadvertent interspecies snorgling!

19. cyberpunkrocker says:

Altruistic duck is altruistic

20. Puts hands over ears and sings at the top of my voice
    LA-LA-LA -LA LA-LA-LA….. I can’t hear you… Ignores science facts in order to be cuted out with duckling feeding carps.

21. But we do have this in the world. There are lots of wonderful people, just maybe not enough yet. :)

22. kibblenibble says:

I’m with you, KA! On one hand, I knew there was a logical explanation for this behavior, but on the other hand, ignorance was bliss.. *strolls back into the CO world, where ducklings intentionally feed their fishy friends*

23. It’s not actually feeding the fish, the duckling is just using water to soften the food he has in his beak to make it easier to eat. Most ducks do it, there just happen to be fish hanging around looking for an easy meal here.

This is just a case of people anthropomorphizing the baby quacker. :P

24. You can totally tell they do this every single time that ducky eats. Whether or not the little guy means to share, it’s still pretty dang cute. And, they’re all clearly bfffs (best feathered and fishy friends), since they swim together.

25. cue the “Jaws” music
    Hey chief, I think we’re gonna need a bigger duck !

26. 2ScoopsRice says:

Awww…there is muffin KOI about this lil ducky’s sharing skills! Sure, it looks a lil FISHY, but it totally QUACKS me up! ;)

27. 2ScoopsRice says:

Stoopid auto-correct! Not “muffin”…I typed “nuffin”…you redickaluss puter! :P

28. victoreia says:

Is that anything like opera-rap?

29. Jane Ellen says:

My parents lived on the side of a lake and had ducks, and geese and their offspring. They knew my father on sight and would practically run across the water when he went down to the lake. Water fowl need their food wet, so my guess is the duck is trying to wet the food and the fish are stealing it. –Oh, now I see someone else already said this. Sorry to burst everyone’s cuteness bubble. It’s still cute, just not altruistic.

30. Oh my… 260Oakley, I think you have some serious competition here. :shock:

31. JerilynS says:

I thought the same thing. Then when the duckling went under water and didn’t reappear for a while, I thought, “Oh no! They got him!!!”

32. …kind of reminds me of a far more morbid video where a duckling was swimming in a pond and got swallowed whole by a big fish, only a little larger than these Koi.

…when the duckling dived down and didn’t come up, I had a total flashback.

33. kimmaroo says:

i thought fish were pescetarians

34. Bless his soul.

35. dogsleder says:

I love ducklings when they’re at that lanky partly-feathered stage!

36. i’d be reeeeally careful if my pets are 3 times my size…..

37. Oh stop analysing, you lot! Just enjoy the cuteness. :)

38. Fird Birfle says:

*puts fingers in ears and
    harmonizes with KA*

“LA-LA-LA -LA LA-LA-LA….. I can’t hear you…”

39. Yeah, I’ve seen a swarm of Koi eat a duckling…very disturbing indeed.

40. but, but, it’s cute!

41. 2ScoopsRice says:

No competition with Oakley…just inspiration! :D

I adores Oakley’s comments…leaves me thinking, “Why in the name of corn on the cob didn’t I fink of saying’ that?!” :P

42. mplsdeb says:

On our way to picking up our son at work, we drove by a pond…and there in the pond were at least 4 little duck or geese tushies sticking up out of the water.

43. Fird Birfle says:

Don’t leave us in this state of antici [SAY IT!!!11!!]-pay-shons!!!

Tell what kinds of noises you all made when you saw said waterbird tushies!!!!
    squees? yelps?? unrecognizable gibberish? sighs of contentment?

Signed,
    Enquiring Minds

44. Thought the same thing—just moistening his food to swallow, but it is cute though…….

45. Yes, I remember seeing a swarm of koi fish trying to eat a turtle. They’d eat YOU if they were big enough. O_O

46. Koi are fairly unselective eaters. By which I mean they’ll eat anything that fits in their mouth. And they’ll try to fit anything in their mouth.

47. is that like a presbytarian?

48. It may be that he’s just wetting his food to get it down, but if you look at the fish he’s unintentionally feeding, he’s picking (almost) a new fish each time. If he’s just wetting his food, he sure is being picky about which fishy he’s wetting it to.

Exhibit B!! He at no point puts his head back to swallow any of this food.

If it please the court, I would submit the possibility that a ducky who tends to wet his food each meal might learn pretty quickly that he’s feeding these other strange critters in his pond and think it sort of fun.