Greetings from the Caribbean

Gosh, do I miss my hedge…  (grunt, snuffle, squeal)

Aw gee, no worms or slugs here… (paddle, lap, splash)

Photos by Ratharee! Thank you sender-inner, Ant.

Comments

1. Fird Birfle says:

The true origins of the phrase “happy happy; joy, joy” :)

2. Hedgies doing the backstroke!!! Squeeeeee!

3. OMG! Is that a belly button I see in the second picture???
    My head just exploded!!!!!

4. Lewis n' Clark says:

poor thing – he’ll never be able to use a privacy tail

5. Fird Birfle says:

also: “oh boy??? can you bring me an iced lemonade, please???” :)

6. Theresa says:

I’ve been looking all over for that loofah!

7. Starfish says:

But Sonic, I thought you couldn’t swim!

8. Valender says:

Yay! More hedgies!!

Gigi — that’s not a belly button… er… it’s proof that’s it’s a he. :-0

9. victoreia says:

I didn’t know hedgies could swim…….

10. Waiter, what’s this hedgehog doing in my soup?

The backstroke, I think. …rimshot…

Thank you, thank you. I’ll be here all week. Don’t forget to tip your waiter and be sure to try the veal.

11. warrior rabbit says:

He’s gonna float over to the bar and order a mojito. Get two, hedgie — I need one, also.

He looks so relaxed. Now I want to go out and float idly.

12. Theresa says:

He could borrow one!

13. I always promised myself that I would drown at a swim-up bar. I raise my mojito to swimming hedgehogs.

14. Mary (the first) says:

He looks so sweet! I’m tempted to nuzzle his little tummy with my nose but I assume that wouldn’t be a good idea. I may have to get a hedgie someday. CO has totally turned me on to them!

15. The only way this could POSSIBLY get any cuter? Is if leetle hedgie here was holding hands with a fren.

16. Hedgies rule. I want one so badly.

17. I can just hear him now…………..
    “Somebody peel me a grape ! “

18. that is so. stinkin. cute.

19. Where’s my mealworms on the halfshell? That pool boy is kissing his tip goodby.

20. That belly button is the hedgie’s manhood. All boy hedgies have a belly button that is their ( excuse me ) penis. I’ve seen my boy hedgies’ belly buttons in action, and it’s not a pretty sight. Scared me the first time I saw it.

21. Caroleypants says:

Umm, sorry, but I don’t think Hedgies have their ‘parts’ on their chests, I do believe it is a belly button, but I’ve been in worse discussions……………. I think Gigi has it right… Any Hedgie anatomists out there?

22. Awwww! Is this normal, do they swim?

23. Not really, actually, they are hydrophobic… :___

So cute though… :)

24. Lil hedgey hoggy piggy paws in the air…

25. Ratharee says:

Hahaha nope thats Thistles penis :P I love him to death but people always pet his “bellybutton” thinking its a bellybutton XD

26. Mamabear says:

Nice! They REALLY exfolliate your feets.

27. Mamabear says:

According to Wikipedia (yeah, not the best source, but anyhoo):

“The hedgehog’s dilemma is based on the apparent danger of a male hedgehog being injured by a spine while mating with a female hedgehog. However, this is not a problem for hedgehogs, as the male’s penis is very near the center of its abdomen (often mistaken for a belly button) and the female can curl her tail upward until her vulva protrudes behind the rest of her body. Thus, the male does not have to get completely on top of the female when mating.”

I love learning nifty things.

On that note “learning nifty things”…I did a newspaper article on a local reindeer farm and learn the neatest thing form the owner. Apparently, reindeer have a tendon in their heel that clicks so that they can hear and keep tabs on each other during whiteout snow conditions. That’s where the line from the song came from: “Up on the housetop, click, click, click! Down through the chimney with good Saint Nick!” Thought that was the coolest!

28. That’s a happy looking hedgie :)

29. Actually that most definitely where hedgehog males have their parts… Here’s the rundown “Gender (sex) is easy to identify in hedgehogs. The male has a penis and prepuce located midway along the abdomen. The testes are usually intra-abdominal and are not easily seen. The female has a vulva located close to the rectal opening. ” That quote is borrowed from http://www.heidihoefer.com/pages/sm_mammals/intro_hedgehogs.htm

I’d say midway along the abdomen is just what you’re seeing, and while a belly button would be cuter, they are frequently too small to see (and covered by all sorts of hair) in most other mammals.

30. that’s quite a link, lolo. not only do hedgehogs have parts, they have a lot of paperwork. according to that site, “Captive hedgehogs have the tendency to become obese; early evening exercise should be encouraged.”

so that should explain why they’re always late for dinner and wearing those old stinky old running shoes.

31. mamabear says:

Accoring to this rehabber, they are excellent swimmers.

32. Oh boy. My lovely hedgie Yona Pog died yesterday – scuttle on, little dude. I’m sure hoggie heaven has pools like this, and mealworm mohoitos.

33. Ratharee says:

Thistle likes to lick his >.< its so gross. Atleast when he is in the water like this he cant XD

34. Ratharee says:

Thistle is my hedgehog and that is his penis , male hedgehogs can move it up and down there stomach, and depending on the way they are moving it can be all the way uo to there mouth. He is curled up in his pool so his penis looks higher up .

35. Ratharee says:

Thistle loves swimming , he is not afraid of the water at all, hence these pictures of him

36. Ratharee says:

Oh I am so sorry for your loss :/ Thistle has Wobbly hedgehog syndrome , he goes in his pool lots to help keep his muscles moving . I took these pictures in a tiny baby pool but im sure hedgie heaven has warm huge pool with jets for our babies :D

37. bob drummond says:

Imagine, just floating thru life without a care in the world!
    Yeah ,Baby !!