Name That Movie

You’ve seen all the classic black and white movies. Dr. Strangelove. Raging Bull. Clerks.

And now, we give you Lost in Cannes.

[Got a better name? Reveal it in the Comments!]

So what really happened here? One evening not long ago, a French fella was hanging around the French riviera when a seagull suddenly stole his lightweight Go Pro camera. After following the bird, the crafty Frenchman was able to scale castle walls, retrieve the camera, and publish the footage. Where it was seen and sent in by Fluffaholic.

1. I can’t think of a better title, but it needs to be something noir with lots of heavy atmosphere.

What was funnier, though? The skinny seagull legs or the peeping, sideways eye when he put it down for the last time?

2. Seagull home video. AWESOME.

3. The secret life of seagulls — an exposé!

4. Theresa says:

It’s a horror movie, obviously. Seized and abducted by a giant flying . . . thing on skinny, knobby legs.

5. Not to mention that awful, creepy call.

Seriously, that’s creepier than the last Saw.

6. Tony James says:

Ai-Cannes-Has Camera?

7. OMG Tony James – it’s been a while since I’ve seen your punny comments. Color moi thrilled!

8. Tony James says:

Well, you know, one goes, one comes back – I see see that I still can’t post without my comment needing to be moderated ;) Good to see Mr. Teh-0 the other day – very dapper in the digicam, I must say! Although what Riki will make of him coming into the house smelling of Other Cats is likely to test even the most battle-hardened warrior! LOL!

9. I love how bulbous the bird body is compared to the stick leggages. The surprised “what do I have here?!” squwak and last look of the “perp” before the movie ends makes me think the movie title should be about some bumbling fool who stumbles into a spy adventure.

10. The Birds

11. Theresa says:

North by Northwest!

12. Chuck Gull and the Camera of Doom.

13. skippymom says:

This is the best movie I have ever seen in my whole life.

14. That’s exactly what I was thinking! It is – hands down – the best viral video I’ve ever seen….

15. arachnophile says:

I can`t agree more. This just makes my heart happy for reasons I can`t really understand. But I LOVE IT!

Cheeky-GULL for President!

16. title – the bird!

17. I am glad we didn’t have to see it *um* taking care of business, if you know what I mean ;)

18. I’m with Theresa and Skippymom on this.
    And I was totally expecting the gull “to leave a little gift” since my niece, who has parrots, tells me they “go” every 10 minutes or so, like clockworks.

19. skippymom says:

OK, I guess I am a perv, as I think that would have been totally awesome.

20. Theresa says:

I’m a perv, too.

21. skippymom says:

I knew I could count on you, Theresa dear!

22. skippymom says:

We want to see the perp making perpe!

23. Why are you talking to yourself? ;)

24. The majority of the world is like us, Skippymom and Theresa. They’re just too ashamed to admit it:(

25. Mod lounge. *sigh*

26. I’m not ashamed–I was right there with you, ladies.

27. Wow this made me laugh… loudly. The flapping feet mid-air… and the noises!

28. How ’bout “Gone With the Gull”?

29. Like

30. Wow – no one thought of Hitchcock’s “The Birds”?

Or maybe Blair Witch Project because of the bad camera angles.

31. Hey, my first time in moderation. Interesting.

32. This is my favorite movie this year.

33. Rachael says:

Ingemar Birdman is rolling over in his grave.

34. Alice Shortcake says:

Coming soon from this talented director: “The Humans”, a spine-tingling tale of people running amok in a peaceful New England seagull colony…

35. Theresa says:

36. victoreia says:

Finally, a real documentary!

37. The seaguell of “The Birds”

38. kibblenibble says:

My Minnie cat was very interested in this vid; especially the sounds!

39. random dog person says:

When Seagulls Controlled the Earth-

A film striking fear into the hearts of every stolen French-fry.

40. Wow, it’s “The Blair Seagull Project”….

41. Seagull Impossible!

42. SlaveToCat says:

Seagull says to himself,
    “This thing doesn’t really taste like a box of Cheez-its should.”

43. Movie title = A Squaaaaackwork Gull :D

44. Deborah says:

Incredible! A bird’s eye view of things… And he was really huffing and puffing as he flew with the camera… I’m glad the original owner of the camera got it back.. :)
    I agree the gull was disappointed by it’s lack of edibility…

45. One Eyed Daruma says:

Incroyable! That is among the best French cinema I have ever seen – the plot line was far more fluid and the cinematography far superior to Jean Cocteau’s “L’Aigle à deux têtes.” Let’s call it “La Mouette à deux pied.”

46. photogirl says:

Watch The Birdie!

It’s as if Hitchcock had to pay his karmic dues, and was somehow reincarnated as bird food

47. sara-bell says:

Exactly what I was thinking – Hitchcock has been reincarnated as a Seagull!

48. “Flight of the Plunderer”

49. skippymom says:

I’m definitely seeing an Oscar in this bird’s future.

50. And maybe a Mayer, too. :mrgreen:

51. skippymom says:

52. Theresa says:

53. He resigned!

54. skippymom says:

55. ? Explain.

56. Oscar Mayer is a brand name of a line of luncheon meat/hot dog products.

57. joools in PDX says:

Gull, Interrupted?

58. yay!

59. ha! my favorite so far.

60. best!

61. Like!!!

62. Marvelous!

63. Keith Milton says:

“Gull-lover’s Travels” or “Travails”, n’est pa ?

64. Mary (the first) says:

I like this one.

65. Mary (the first) says:

66. LIKE!

67. Leilani says:

I thought Monsieur le Sea Gull sounded a lot like Simon’s Cat! “Mouwww? MOUWWW!” slight pause “Mouww?”

68. MINE!

69. ha ha like that

70. Bwa ha ha

71. Love the “Mine” Great title.
    Best dialog in Finding Nemo

72. MINE!

73. 260Oakley says:

Gull-iver’s Travels

74. 260Oakley says:

Whoops, looks like Keith Milton swooped in and beat me to this one. I’m feeling gull-ible now.

75. kodalai says:

Doesn’t it just gull you when people steal your lines?

76. Caught red wing-ed!

77. Lewis n' Clark says:

ohhh – Gulliver’s Travels FTW!

78. The Caw of the Wild

79. arachnophile says:

80. Bird’s Eye View
    As the Crow Flies

81. what is french for bird – oiseau?

82. Oiseau if singular and oiseaux if more than one.

83. Bob le Voleur (the seagull being Bob)

No? Too cryptic?

84. CO groks French pre-New Wave cinema.

85. I’m laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

86. Johnathan Livingston Seagull, Part deux.

I can’t believe no one said it, I am showing my age?

87. I was trying to think up a funny pun to go along with it, and couldn’t think of anything.

88. Anne Boleyn says:

Maybe, because that’ the first thing I thought of (although not the “Part deux” part) and I’m 68.

89. Hairy Potto says:

One Flew Under the Seagull’s Breast

90. kodalai says:

Ooh, that’s actually very good!

91. Mmm, breasts.

92. nice.

93. Emmberrann says:

“Minuit la-haut” High Midnight (as opposed to High Noon). Well, it made sense at the time, dammit!

94. Whoa. Listen to the bird breathe as he flies.

95. Catch Me If You Cannes

96. Nice!

97. Mary (the first) says:

I just watched this again and still wonder, what was the Frenchman doing at the time the camera was stolen? Why was it where the gull could get it??

98. arachnophile says:

You can hear him yell and run after the bird just as the bird takes off. :) :)

99. kodalai says:

He does seem to have put it down in front of the bird to see what the bird would do — I can’t see how else the camera ended up at bird-leg level.

100. He was obviously going for a pee in the bushes!!!

101. JerilynS says:

If this ain’t proof that our electronics have gotten WAY too small and light, I don’t know what is!

102. birdcage says:

Aren’t birds awesome? Birds totally rawk!!!!!

103. The Old Man & the Sea-gull

104. The Maltese Seagull.

105. K. C. Pohtilla says:

Birds Eye View, comes to mind or
    On the Wings of a Seagull,
    Riding High on the Wings of a Seagull, or
    Up UP and AWAY

106. Top Gull

107. Walking E says:

Gulls Just Want to Have Fun

108. Does it for me , bravo !

109. That´s amazing!!!

Alfred Hitchcock´s The Birds – The Seaquall!!!

110. Jonathan Seagull- Redux

111. Moi, Actually says:

Reminds me of those embarrassing incidents at office parties when those who have imbibed too freely of the canapes and cocktails repair to the mailroom and sit on the photocopier to take images of their . . . erm. . . backsides.
    Wonder how this pidge feels about his friends viewing some of those shots from below–whew!

112. “the Blair Gull Project”.

113. I Haz a Funny Bone says:

I’m very impressed the guy was able to rescue his camera. The bird looked to fly pretty far, pretty fast.

114. I’m in agreement! How this guy was able to find his camera is beyond my comprehension.

Why the camera was put down while still turned on also has me baffled.

Bottom line: this scenario is hysterical!

115. Victoria says:

I hate to say it but I’m calling fraud on this one. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s a cool video and that chubby seagulls with knobby knees are totally adorable but GoPro is known for it’s amazing youtube marketing videos and my guess is that this is an advertising campaign (a very good one!).

116. kokobutterbuns says:

This reminds me of the scene from Finding Nemo with the gulls: “mine,mine,mine”. HILARIOUS!!!

117. This being a French movie, Hollywood will want to remake it starring Steven Seagal. ;)

118. There’s actually another video on YouTube that’s supposedly an interview with the guy who owned the camera, and although there are no English subtitles yet, a YouTube commenter translated.

Apparently this wasn’t random. They put a GPS device on the camera and smeared mashed up french fries on it so the seagulls would take it. There were numerous attempts – this one was just the best “take”.

Still pretty neat, though. :)

119. JohnnieCanuck says:

It seems likely the YouTube comment that you are summarising was from someone trying to pull our legs.

We’ll have to wait for the subtitles to be sure.

120. Ah, yes, I started to wonder about that after I posted. And even the validity of the interview itself, if this is indeed a promo video.

Well, no matter how this got made, I still like it. :)

121. JerilynS says:

Parrots of the Carribean? The Maltese Pigeon? Guys and Gulls? To Killl a Mocking-Gull?

Groaners, all, I know! :P

122. basselope says:

I haven’t read all of the comments, but in case it hasn’t been said, this is a promotional video for GoPro…and obviously fake.

123. in other words, “first.”

124. I don’t see what’s so “obviously fake” about this. It really does look like the gull stole a camera.

125. Love that he was able to retrieve it!

126. To catch a thief

127. The Blair Finch Project

128. A different twist on Hitchcock’s “To Catch a Thief” of course!

129. Beverly says:

Sure Has Lots of Gull!

130. I gotta say, given my experience with sea gulls I was expecting a poop shot.

131. flutter-by says:

What a riot! I had to come to see the original post, as I missed it somehow. Couldn’t come up with anything near as witty as what CO peeps already have and voting in progress. May the best title win!

132. flutter-by says:

Aaak…I too, as expecting the filching gull to *whitewash* the wall he landed on. Leave a deposit….somehow that would have put the final flourish on his work, so to speak…

133. flutter-by says:

Bah…WAS expecting. My bad!

134. Wow, 755 votes ‘Catch Me If You Cannes’! Thanks, peeps!
    If, for any reason, ‘Gone with the Gull’ cannot fulfill its pageant obligations, or Trixie gets caught kitteh-huffing or puppeh-ear-kronsching, ‘Cannes’ and I could make a deprecating mou/e and reluctantly bear the CO sash and crown.

135. asiarosa says:

Movie title idea: Dances with Gulls!

136. Gulls Gone Wild