Mini Stampedersons

Mr. Green Coat Man, you better ruuuun. There’s a mini stampedersons behind youuuu (sing song).

Whew, stumpy trumpeter stampedersons is all stampedered out.

Thank you to photographer Miriam S. ;-)

Photo taken at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
, haven for orphaned elephants and rhinos.

Comments

1. I haven’t been so scared since I saw that kitten attacking the penguin.

2. Aaaaaahhh!
    ♫♫ Nowhere to run to, baby
    Nowhere to hide ♫♫

3. I love him!

4. baby elephant eyelashes. ded.

5. Alice Shortcake says:

*dons green coat and saunters down street in hopes of attracting random baby elephant*

6. Is there a rule of cuteness by being poo-ey (covered in guck, muck, yuckiness and generally dirty)? This mini elephant would win it!

7. If they could find elephants that stay this size, I could see a new pet craze hitting.

8. PS: Shouldn’t this really be A Mini-MCStampedersons? :P

9. (insert Tim Conway elephant joke here)

10. muttluver says:

I’VE BEEN THERE! LIKE FORREALS!!!! THIS IS SO COOL FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, back to normal now.

11. muttluver says:

Those baby elephants are stronger than a grown man. I doubt they’d be household friendly.

Now, if they came in cat size, maybe…….

No. They’d still be stronger than any cat, and cats are hard enough to deal with. Mouse size? But then you’d have a tiny creature that escapes easily and can still cause major damage to a toe or two.

Halp! Logic won’t shut up!

12. Guinea Peeg Lover says:

Teeny elephant is teeny.

13. Fird Birfle says:

POIFECT cherce o’ moozik.

Also: REFUGE FOR BEBBEH ephelants and BEBBEH RHINOS?????
    ZOMGPONIES!!!11!!!!!

*begins feverishly gathering all pennies and dollar bills; makes out a withdrawal slip to empty out all $11.27 from the bank account to travel to Turkana, Kenya.*

14. Fird Birfle says:

ditto/ded.

15. Fird Birfle says:

WOW nice strategy!!!!! :)

16. Fird Birfle says:

to Kenya??? Please elaborate on cute animal experiences???

17. Fird Birfle says:

*relatively teeny*

two articles briefly researched produced estimates of
    infant ephelants approx 200-170 lbs — stated “at birth”

Mama= OUCH !!!!!

“Adorable bebbeh elephant is adorable bebbeh” :)

18. Fird Birfle says:

DANG proofreading fail on typing the numeals. Sorry
    intended to type the following (really): 200-270 lbs “at birth”

gah.

19. Such good peeps, taking such wonderful care of the orphaned (sniff) baby elephants. They seem to put red blankies on the little ones a lot for some reason (the sun?): http://www.flickr.com/photos/tongham/3980597847/in/pool-1673299@N22/. ( <<– there are 262 more anorable photos in that Sheldrick Wildlife flickr group.)

Omg, you can pick individual elephants, with their story and photo, to foster…

20. Quick! SCIENCE must get right on a Petite Lap Elephant!

21. My favorite elephant joke:

Q: What did the elephant say to the naked man?
    A: How do you breathe through that tiny thing?

22. You can adopt one of those cute baby-elephants, did you know that? I’m sure the Daphen Sheldrick trust can tell you how, in Germany it’s through REA e.V.
    I have one – it’s soo cute! :)

23. I’d be all “chase me chase me little Mr. Mc Jelly Pants ! ”
    BTW, where’s the pic of Mr. Green Coat turning around chasing the baby ?
    I know I would have ! Tag ! you’re it !

24. Snerkum to you too.

25. kibblenibble says:

Anybody else not seeing the avatars toiday? :-(

26. kibblenibble says:

oops TOday!

27. omgosh, your’e right… we’re avatarless…. quick, let’s all pretend to be who we’re not!

28. of, course, Murphy’s Law strikes… as I post, all your regularly scheduled avatars are resumed. *pout*

29. They’re also pregnant for what, 13 months? At least they get some good wear out of those maternity pants.

30. Copperbat says:

Halp! He’s chasing me now!

I said… He’s chasing ME now!

*looks back and waits*

Awww. Why won’t he chase me now? :(

31. I’ve seen a documentary on this place. Dame Sheldrick (yes, she has been recognized for her work by The Queen) discovered the formula for baby elephant milk. The secret is coconut fat, baby lellypants can’t digest dairy. Once she got the recipe right, her success rate went way up. She employs locals who love the baby lellypants like their own children, even sleeping with them when they are very young because they cannot be alone. The blankets are to protect their baby skin from the sun. When older they visit the mud hole daily to get a coating of muck to protect from the sun. She runs the place with her daughter who has young sons who will hopefully carry on their work into the future. Its a great cause.

32. Theresa says:

All accompanied by this music, presumably:

33. Bunkeh Rabbets says:

22 months!

34. Funny, I just got home from seeing the ‘movie’ about this place at the IMAX theater called Born to be Wild. Cutest movie evAr!! The elephants are so playful and loving and they run around with the guys in the green coats like they’re all family <3

35. Bunkeh Rabbets says:

There are BBC dvds available:

and

The programme is called ‘Elephant Diaries’, and follows the work of the Sheldrick Trust. You get to see what life is like for the bebbeh heffelinks, how they’re looked after to help ease the trauma of losing their mummies, and how the keepers help them learn elephant behaviour.

You also get to see what happens as the heffelinks graduate and move to the next stage, a camp that prepares them to go back into the wild.

I can really recommend this. I learned so much about them, how intelligent and compassionate the animals are themselves, and was amazed at the devotion of their handlers who even *sleep* alongside the babies.

Watch eeeet, hours and hours of SQUEEE, and a few tears, but lots and lots of bebbeh heffelinkses.

36. Somebody has been playing in the the muuuuuud! [also in a sing-song voice]

37. If you got a tiny elephant, your house hippo would get jealous.

38. Not to menshons your petite lap giraffe.

39. “An wen ai grow ups ai’m gonna be an OLIPHAUNT! Like in Lord of da Rings! So dere!”

40. They say blondes have more fun but I think men wearing green coats in Kenya definitely have more fun!

41. Nassegris says:

Ahhh… this makes me feel so much happier. I read an article that was supposed to be funny, at another site, and it ended with a horrific story about an elephant that had me feeling awful all day.

But this – this is what I want to think about as I finally crawl into bed. A lovely little stompling – with long, fluttery lashes.

42. I think years ago when 60 Mins had a segment on orphaned baby ellies is when I first saw how devoted these keepers are. They give their lives to these babies & it looks as demanding as it must be rewarding. I am in awe and full of envy.

On another note, how any human can murder an elephant is beyond what I can ever comprehend. EVER. I get sick inside thinking about it. If I could wave a wand…

43. Fird Birfle says:

44. Quiet Desperation says:

Anyone else just not seeing the photos on some entries?

45. baileysgrandmom says:

And remember, anything not related to elephants is irrelephant.
    (Actually, I think I like the “lellypants” ffleur came up with even better.)

46. Just look at this dog tasting this other little baby!

Animals are goin’ wild, I tells ya!

47. naturally !

48. BagOguts says:

unfortunately that link doesn’t work – goes to Flickr but says ‘no pics tagged with blah blah blah.’ Bummeroo!

49. kodalai says:

Was it cracked.com’s “The 6 Most Wildly Irresponsible Publicity Stunts in History” by any chance?

50. DillPig says:

I bet Boris has a petite lap elephant….Remember this? :-D

51. Link is now in sync. :-)

52. DillPig says:

Ooops! I got a name wrong – it’s Gregor, not Boris. And this clip has the contact for his petite lap giraffe breeder, so we can all have one!!!

53. Fird Birfle says:

yay irrelephant!!

THIS is NOT irrelephant!!! :)

54. Fird Birfle says:

And now, for yer pleasure, it’s
    Rhyming Time with Pyrit!!!

55. birdmom says:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is the most amazing organization. I’m currently fostering 3 orphaned elephants, Makena, Shimba and Chaimu, who would no doubt be dead without these wonderful people! Please take a moment to check out their website – I guarantee you’ll be a proud foster parent of one of these cuties in no time!

56. tracylee says:

yay for lellypants in jammies!

57. They’re so intelligent and emotional that it makes me ill thinking of how anyone could be so evil.

58. mini stampedersons master that rule

59. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I’ve been following DSWT for years and years and what I wouldn’t give to be able to have their jobs!!!