THIS JUST IN: Twin Horsies, Maybe

A horse owner in England got a two-for-one deal when her prize mare gave birth to a pair of fillies. Although the babies look alike, they might not be truly identical twins, says an expert. Nevertheless, the thirsty girls keep Mom twice as busy.

More photos, full story at Horse & Hound.

1. junemrc says:

tehehehe! they’re so itty! (except that they’re probably not, they just look itty compared to their mama.)

2. But imagine them both fitting in their mama’s belleh… That must have been one rotund pregnant mare!

[Just read that they’re a month old. Phew!]

3. Mama is clearly striking a pose.

4. Fird Birfle says:

Mama is surely a supermodel of grace and elegance!!!!

5. I think they are actually just more miniatures made by Amelia Santiago!

6. So, what are they called? Neigh and Re-neigh?

7. Which twin has the Toni?

8. Fird Birfle says:

oh, c’mon. You know the answer to THAT!!!

“Only their hairdresser(s) know(s) for sure!!!” :)

9. Ahem. clears throat…

10. Fird Birfle says:

*clears throat*

*takes on an aloof, distinguished facial expression and walks away*

11. Heavy horses…just beautiful.

Bring me a wheel of oaken wood
    A rein of polished leather
    A Heavy Horse and a tumbling sky
    Brewing heavy weather.
    – Jethro Tull

12. Noelegy says:

OMG PONIES!!!!!!! I was just about to quote that song! One of my favorite Jethro Tull albums.

13. tracylee says:

since momma has two, she won’t mind if I take one!

14. Mom's Favorite says:

I think you meant two-foal-one-deal.

15. Lerrinus says:

Beautiful mama! Adorable babies! So sweet!

16. i said “AWWWWWWWWWWWH”

17. victoreia says:

Yup, that was an automatic response.

18. Fird Birfle says:

“Awww-tomatic :)

19. Wow! This just made my day. :)

20. Horses. I will never not want one.

21. OMG. Check out the link for devastating shots of the wee tailios.

22. That’s a proud Mama posing with her beautiful little girls.
    And she has a right to be!

23. TrixandSam says:

I have an identical twin sister. We were never this stinkin’ cute and we certainly don’t have grand names (Penbryn Celtic Lucky Lass and Penbryn Celtic Lucky Lady) like these little gals.

Makes me want to come back in another life as one of twin foals (OMG!11!!) born of a gorgeous Shire filly.

24. TrixandSam, I’m sure you and your twin were PLENTY cute because, ya know, TWO of you, double the cuteness!

25. Woops! Sorry dad! (bonus points for whomever can name the reference)

26. 260Oakley says:

OK, who ordered the two filly mignons, extra-rare?

27. Best yet, 260!!!

28. Fird Birfle says:

1. Possible new Tag, as an alternative to “This Just In”???
    “This Just OUT!!!!!”

2. Why does long hair on human female legs look unattractive but long hair on horsie legs look like something that belongs in a fashion show?
    That’s not fair!!!

anyhoo — congrats, Mommie Horsie!!
    You look like a Queen of some nation!!!
    And yer young’uns already have their fashion show pose figured out.

29. Cute but so super dangerous for the mama. I don’t know why someone would allow their prize mare to go through with twins. Glad they all ended up ok.

30. Mary (the first) says:

The owners had no idea it was twins. She was “scanned for in-foal for one” whatever that means, I assume had been checked and they only expected one baby. That just adds to the wonderfulness!

31. My twin and I were a surprise to my mother as well! She woke up the next morning and didn’t remember giving birth to the second baby! (Back in the good-ole-days when the mother was knocked out for labor and delivery!)

32. georgiacat says:

Me, too! Well, almost a surprise. I finally showed up on an ultrasound about two weeks before we were born. My brother was hogging all the space.

33. Fird Birfle says:

Is’t that just typical of brothers????

(JK, guys, I promise ….)

34. Basically the local vet did an ultrasound and one little dumpling was hiding the other one. Hoomin bebehs do it, so it stands to reason that the wiser wild things (long domesticated for sure, but still) do it, too!

35. I was just thinking the same thing! Unusual – but a relief – that they’ve both turned out healthy.

36. As if it weren’t cute enough, long hair on horse legs is called feathers. (It helps protect them from scratches.) Clydesdales and Friesians– like the black horse in Ladyhawke– have some; Shires have the most.

37. georgiacat says:

I would pretty much sell my soul for a Friesian. A local rider I competed against in shows when I was younger used to have one. I kept plotting ways to steal it. The feathers… the mane… the puffy forelock… Such pretty horses

38. Fird Birfle says:

I entirely agree with your assessment (sp?) of that breed.
    Between them, Andalusians, and Egyptian or Polish Arabians,
    species Equus has some of the most elegant animals on this planet…

39. I don’t even think we can call these little ones cute. They’re too gorgeous. All three of them.

40. Its a miracle they all survived, twins is almost always fatal for horses. As a breeder I can tell you there is no way she was properly scanned as twins show up very early in a pregnancy. Im happy all went well and both are healthy. Often one is normal and they other severely underweight and suffering malnutrition. Mommy looks fat and healthy enough to nurse two though. This is a rare and beautiful thing.

41. Does mom give vanilla meelks or chocolate meelks?

42. love it i want them so cute

43. She’s a brick. . . horse. . . .
    Lettin’ em all hang out, of course.

(I’ve been notified that silly filking will be severely punished by the Disapproving Pony Overlords, though. Sigh.)

44. Beauty pure!! Stunning!!

45. So there really IS a “Horse and Hound” magazine?

46. OMG clonies!!!!

47. flutterby says:

The mare is just beauty, elegance and power in an ebony package. Wish I could see them all in motion as the fillies play and kick up their heels around prancing mommeh in that gorgeous green pasture! Just a dream, just a dream …

48. Michelle says:

OHHhhhh =O Carriage pair without all the hassle of finding a match… AWESOME!!