Mo’ hams, mo’ problems

The Star is reporting 3 hamsters produced 26 pups in Toronto. Apparently, the ham owner didn’t check the sex of her pets, then put them all together which produced the biggest Ham Overload the shelter has seen in years.

Sender-Inner Adrienne Y. says “Oh Noes.” Agreed.

Comments

1. Awww. I wish I lived in Toronto and could adopt one of those little behbehs. At least they won’t be lonely while they wait to be adopted.

2. earlybird1 says:

What a fabulous hampagne color they’re wearing, dahling.

3. So…much…adorable…beadiness….cannot….resist…

*snorgles screen*

4. 26 babies equals how many litters? Took a while for the owner to figure out where they all came from, didn’t it.

5. Dugger Hams?

6. earlybird1 says:

The original 3 must have been 2 females and one very lucky Mr. Hambamthankyoumaam. :D

7. Guinea Peeg Lover says:

Teensy-weensy-eensy-bideensy tails!

8. chanpon says:

That’s a little large for a ham appetizer on a bed of arugula. *Sticks face in for huff*

9. It’s for two. :mrgreen:

10. Do. Want.

11. I’m sure there’s someone out there thinking, ‘Could be 13 or 8.7 per litter’ :-o

12. It was three females plus one male, the story says.

13. Fird Birfle says:

“for two” WHATS???? ;)

14. (The Original) Mel says:

Omnomnomnomnom.

15. earlybird1 says:

Oh, my bad. Well then, Mr. Hambam was a very busy gentleman!

16. HamGirl says:

Adult hamsters are not supposed to share a cage anyways because they are solitary and territorial in the wild and will have fights kept in a cage. The pet store must have sold these poor hams on the young side as siblings and the new owner just kept them together without understanding. This was only ever going to lead to pregnacies or hamster injury/death.

17. That’s a whole lotta BEF right there.

18. Starfish says:

I love a good hampile.

19. I wish I could adopt one of those widdle sweeties.

20. dogsleder says:

DO NOT WANT to see a tweet about this by @BronxZooCobra.

21. Ham overload! Soooo cute! I hope they all get adopted sooooon……

22. Martha in Washington says:

*dailing 1-800-flowers as we speak*
    Ordering a bookay for everyone I know! And two for me!

23. ham posts always remind me of this classic actioner from the Oughties:

24. Christine says:

My last batch of rats resulted from a couple who had something like 100 rats. They neutered all the males, but the vet missed a testicle on one of them.

Two hundred babies in three weeks. (approx)

They adopted all of them, including my four big boys! And they got daddy properly fixed.

25. Christine says:

No fair! Grapesssssssssss!

26. janet2buns says:

I can’t understand how anyone could miss identify a male hamster. They have unmistakably large *ahem* male hamster bits.

27. Just need a little thing of marinara, and the appetizers are ready to serve.

28. paulajeanne says:

Quelle suprise!

29. MommaMackie says:

A TRUE Cute Overload!

30. warrior rabbit says:

Thank you for the stroll down Memory Lane! Forgot about that one.

31. Rooanne says:

ham salad

32. starling says:

I’ll have a dozen!

33. My dad once showed me an article about a male guinea pig named Snooty who escaped its cage, made its way to the females’ area and impregnated like 30 pigs. Afterwards it slept for like a whole day. The article had a picture of Snooty, the file name of which was stud.gif

34. Did the vet pay compensation? It seems like he/she should have. I could totally see that going to court.

35. Fird Birfle says:

*enthusiastic applause*

36. riCh chestMat says:

My gasp woke downstairs. Not a euphemism.

37. While that’s normally the case for hammies, two brothers can usually be kept together without any fighting.
    Hams ARE territorial, but no so much that they’d kill the first thing the moves in there cage.

38. kimmaroo says:

26 Peegs and Counting?

39. kimmaroo says:

OOOOOPS! Make that 26 Hams and Counting!

Must get more coffeh….

40. kimmaroo says:

So the females are Sister Hams? Is TLC aware of this polyhamist famileh? Could there be a new smash hit ham realiteh series on the horizon?

41. Hello, this is the small animal volunteer in the article! Just thought I’d chime in – HamGirl is absolutely right, no Syrian hamster can be housed with another hamster as adults. They usually get along with others until about 10 weeks old, but after that they will eventually hurt/kill each other. They’re designed to live alone.
    Dwarf hamsters, however, are very social and should live with a (same-sex) friend.

The reason the group of original adults in this case didn’t hurt each other is because they were all only about 8 weeks old.

42. run well you eat so you can get all the food yum :):):0

43. baby birdie says:

*head splode*

44. Syrian litters can exceed 20 pups — the maximum size is 26 pups — so 26 pups in three litters isn’t bad.

Other fun facts about Syrians:

Females go into estrus every four days.

Their gestation period averages 16 days.

Pups can be weaned at around 21 days/3 weeks.

Pups can reach sexual maturity at 28-42 days/4-6 weeks.

Thus, sometime after the 21st day and before the 28th day, the males and females have to be put in separate cages.

Around the 42 day/6 week mark, Syrian hamsters stop being able to live together, and have to each be housed in a separate, fully-equipped cage. (This is not negotiable. They really will kill each other.)

In short, you only need to make one mistake, four to six weeks after a litter is born, to leave yourself wishing you owned stock in a pet supply company.

45. They are an unbelievably cute mistake.

46. Robin Harney says:

How could you let someone so irresponsible be caretaker to a bunch of hammies that cute? As much as a want to “squee” at this picture, I also want to send some very rude raspberries to the owner in question.

47. Oh my goodness!! toooo cute!

48. Tiersen says:

Just thought I’d add this: Even same-sex dwarf hamster siblings can sometimes break out into territorial fights from one day to the other. The dominant one might not kill the other, but the weaker sibling would live in constant stress, which is not fun for them as they obviously cannot avoid each other, especially given the horribly small cages people put them in.
    In my opinion, only experienced people should attempt holding more than one dwarf (Robo or Campbell, not a Chinese dwarf) in one cage, and they should have a spare cage, or be able to get hold of one if needed. – Once dwarf hamster siblings have been separated they should not be put together again.

In this case, the owner’s mistake did produce a lot of cuteness, but it also worries me that this might make someone start breeding irresponsibly…