‘Scuse Me, Tryin’ To Eat Here…

No, I don’t want to know what my ears taste like. No, I don’t know what sound the color yellow would make if colors made sounds. No, I don’t want to play the head-bonking game. No, I don’t know where Bee is. No, I don’t… forget it, I’m outta here.

Posted to the Cute Overload Twitter feed by Bill D.

1. Looks as if Simon is trying to nurse on Jelly’s ears. Poor baby!

2. Yep. Give lambikins a bottle, will ya?

3. Lamb: Hold on! Hold on! Got it! Licked your brain! Now I know what that tastes like! Better than your ears!

4. Watching the video I kept saying “poor kitty” over and over again and laughing out loud at the same time. LOL!

5. victoreia says:

Yup, that was pretty much my reaction.

6. Mary (the first) says:

Me three!

7. Deleeshous ears.

8. Entropy's bitch says:

Jelly tastes like mint? goes well with lambie.

Nice Aga stove there, seriously.

9. So I just googled Aga stove and my jaw hit the floor at the prices. Dang! I’ve lived my entire life without knowing about that! Most I knew was Viking.
    (hangs head in kitchen shame)

10. holy crap those stoves are lovely and look pretty kick-butt, too! Thanks for sharing what it is… something new I can install in my fantasy home (where I keep all the stuff I can’t justify in my real home)

11. Lamb and Jelly? Mint jelly?

12. Cute…but all I can think is “eww, icky ear wax”. I’m just weird like that. I think the same thing when my Boston decides my ears need a REALLY GOOD CLEANING.

13. SoCratesX53 says:

Both of my Bostons think my husband’s bald head is VERY tasty! I laugh myself off the couch thinking zombie dogs…BRAINZ, BRAINZ, BRAINZ!!!

14. So it seems Bostons have a thing for bald men! It’s like a ginormous lollipop or something :D

15. ZOMG My boston is in love with my sweetie’s head too :p We’ve decided that its because he stores alien pods in his brain, and is making sure they’re ok :p

16. Blue Footed Booby says:

I have two dogs. The first is prone to ear infections. The second thinks the ear cleaning goo is *delicious*. One time after an infection the vet commented that we’d done a great job cleaning Dog #1’s ears. I said “no, that was the other dog.” She stared at me for like five seconds, then said “ew.”

It’s so funny. When it’s happening, Dog #1 gets this contented look on his face. Evidently it fells great.

17. SoCratesX53 says:

My mom had a rottie very prone to ear infections. Drops, washes, sweet oil, nothing worked. I moved home with my mutt who loved to “clean” the rottie’s ears. Weird, but he never had another ear infection ever!

18. muttluver says:

Huh. My dog has had problems with his ears for a while– the vet told us there was a lot of junk down deep, and he had an infection. Our little dog doesn’t seem to care, but when we visited the dog park, there was one little dog who was very interested in my baby’s ears. It was sadly funny–he held very, very still while the dog snuffle/licked, as though to say “Please, those are very sensitive–be very, very careful.”

19. Little lambykins: IwannaplayIwannaplayIwannaplayIwannaplay!

Kitteh: Bugger off, kid…

20. patient cat is patient.

21. As so, my fellow colleagues, to summarize my presentation “Lambs and Kitties: Friends or Merely Tasting Platters” which will be published next month in the Journal of Cute Animal Interactions, I leave you with the following:

Lick. Lick. Lick.
    Paw. Paw.
    Head butt. Head butt.

annnddd, repeat….

22. Great Aunt Kitty says:

This Jelly DON’T roll!!!! LOL LOVE LOVE LOVE this video!

23. Martha in Washington says:

Ok, you’ve convinced me, Mike. I will now get my cat a pet lamb. Thanks so much for your advice. Now I just have to convince the cat!

24. Fird Birfle says:

Best of luck convincing Cat, of the wisdom of your plan!!!

25. The Other Bryn says:

I am barging in to say at the Hallmark Cards HQ corporate entrance, we have 8 baby fox pups. And sometimes they follow Hallmark employees a little of the way home.

Also, bluebirds hold our pens and paintbrushes when we’re writing and designing cards. :)

26. (The Original) Mel says:

Mmmm. Orange kittehs taste like Easy-Cheez. Nomnomnomnomnom.

27. I love the way the cat is so patient; the cat seems to understand, despite the size of the hoofed creatuyre, it is still just a baby. But even patience has its limits!

28. I think this warrants an ‘I’m going to eat you’ tag. Or at least, ‘I’m going to eat your ear.’

Poor kitty. Poor, patient kitty…

29. Madame X says:

Either Simon’s a tiny lamb, or Jelly’s humongous!

30. I love the claws-in, head-tap thing that cats do when they’re trying to discipline other animals. It works so well for weaning kittens, but has no affect on lambs, puppies, raccoons, etc. I had a cat who was an awful beggar and would try to steal food off my plate. Yelling, finger-wagging, time-outs did nothing to dissuade her. So I finally reached over and tapped her on the forehead. She stopped and looked at me like “Why didn’t you say so before?” Problem solved.

31. Wow – thanks for that interesting little tidbit! I must try this the next time with my naughty tabby who tries to put his paw on my food.

32. TrixandSam says:

I love this story! Thank you for sharing.

33. brinnann says:

That’s a wonderful observation HP! I’d have never thought of it. I must try this.

34. Oh yes – it works with bunnies too!
    There is a great website about bunny body language called The Language of Lagomorphs, and it lets you figure out how to sort of “talk back” to your rabbit in ways that they understand.

Pepper was a little nippy when I first got her – so I had to sort of explain to her that she needed to be more gentle with the big pink naked rabbit she now lived with. It took about 2 weeks and ever since then, even when provoked by nasty cold ear drops or even antibiotic shots, she’d never nipped me harder than a good pinch and never broken the skin. “Bunnies bite because they can’t bark”.

35. Mary (the first) says:

OMG I never put this together before.. I used to whomp my young cats on the forehead and yell “no!” when they did something wrong (such as bite me!) and they pretty quickly learned not to do that. I thought it was just a generic reaction to being whomped and yelled at. I didn’t think of that actual mom-whap-forehead-to-teach part of it. Wow. (p.s. by “whomp” I mean, most of the time I barely touched them, it was more of a startle than hurt kind of whomp.)(p.s. remaining cat is now almost 21 and never bites anyone. I guess I was a good mom! :D)

36. Yep! The cat in my story made it to 21, too, which is a good run. Here’s hoping your kitty sets a record for longevity!

I’m kind of surprised that no one else figured this out — I told this story to my cat-specialist veterinarian, and she said she’d never thought about it before, but it makes sense. I’d write a book, but I’m working with a sample size of N=4, so it’s probably premature.

On the other hand, when I had cats (I’m currently petless), I took great delight in just watching them interact with each other while I made observations in the voice of Richard Attenborough. They were my own private wildlife documentary.

37. Ooh, since this comment got so many likes . . ..

It may take more than one head-tap. But probably not more than six. Actually, after the first head-tap, I never actually made contact with Kitty’s head. But she understood the body language and actually seemed relieved that I was communicating more effectively.

Some other cat body-language tricks I learned:

I had a boy cat who, despite being neutered, would start with a display of affection that would become increasingly . . . intimate . . . for the object of his affection. I would pinch him lightly between his shoulderblades and gently push straight down, mimicking the way a tom treats a quean. He would immediately settle down and go to sleep. I had to repeat this several times, but eventually he stopped with the interspecies foreplay. I suppose I gave him kitty neurosjs and he needed to talk to his kitty therapist about his nascent gender dysphoria. But it worked, and no one got hurt.

Also, you will feel silly the first time you do this, but if your cats start to fight, and it’s obviously not a game, HISS REAL LOUD! They will stop immediately, at least long enough for you to separate them.

38. ‘neurosis”; stupid typo.

39. Noelegy says:

Kitty says, “The end of my patience. You’ve found it.”

40. I want that kitty, I want his friend but most of all I want that STOVE !!!!!
    GimmieGimmieGimmie !!!!!!!!! purty pleeze with gum drops on top

41. Nano's Mom says:

Oh me too! In blue, just cause.

42. JohnnyJohnny says:

That’s not Bea!

43. JohnnyJohnny says:

That’s not Bea! Where’s Bea?!

44. Head BONK :) :) LOL
    That is one tolerant kitteh!!
    (you know he secretly loves it… they all do)

45. Listen, old chap: I don’t mind your nuzzling my ear folds, in fact ahahahaha yes I do like ahahahaha mmmm that’s nice… but see here, old boy! This head butting must stop! What are we? A couple of rutting ungulates? I think not! We’re furry and adorable… wait a minute. Wait a minute. Hooves! So you are a… a… a uni-toe! I’m out of here.

46. Cat’s not named Ivy?

47. Heh, cuz littlelambszeedivey! :D

48. Nano's Mom says:

49. Wouldn’t you? ;)

50. Oh man, that poor cat has the patience of a SAINT!!! Brilliant how it lets this Lamb just abuse him!

PS Also love Aga stoves!! Sooooo nice in Winter!

51. thecandiedmango says:

But is is the patience of a Saint Bernard??

52. Poor kitteh has the patience of a near-saint! I was waiting for the SHRIEEEEK and the KittenKaPow! (patent pending) :D

53. snorglepup says:

What is this thumb-rating-thingie? Are we rating each others comments?
    Lambies and kitties get both my opposable thumbs up!

54. OK, so baby lamby-kins is bugging the kitty. But at least he did a nice little tap dance routine for her entertainment!

55. Nano's Mom says:

Ya know, I’ve never thought of a lamb as an indoor pet, but I obviously must get one. Maybe to match the pygmy goat I’m still trying to convince DH we need.

56. January says:

I agree with “poor kitty” who is very patient. While you all are tearing up over the stove, I want to know just who has lambs in the kitchen and (hold your breath) are they on their way to the oven?

57. Sharon Wilson says:

So now the kitty can jump repeatedly on the lamb while it’s trying to graze and see how it likes it!

58. Is that lamb trying to groom the cat, the way kittehs do? Why does it keep sweeping its hoof down the cat’s back?

And the cat is wonderfully patient with the giant woolly baby.!

59. Diandra says:

Awww…poor lambie needs a puppy to play with because kitty is CLEARLY not interested. On a side note: who keeps lambs as pets? I mean, they’re cute, but unless you live on a farm they seem pretty impractical.

60. Wow how did that cat wait to long to start batting? Lol our kitty would’ve waited 1second if that. Poor kitty