His Royal Hummness

BEHOLD MY SNOWFLAKE TIARA!

According to Sender-Inner Dustin H., this shot was taken during a “redoinkulus” snow storm in the New Mexico mountains.

Comments

1. Brandi says:

Great picture. Hope the bird got through okay (I’d think cold snaps would be a nightmare for tiny little critters with high metabolisms and high surface-area-to-volume ratios).

2. Holy Carp! It’s just too fairy/unicorn/glitterish to be real!

3. toehawk says:

Ohh.

4. Birdcage says:

I gasped! I actually audibly gasped! What a great photo and so detailed given the relative size of the subject matter (a hummingbird and a snowflake).

*standing ovation with enthusiastic applause*

5. Wow! Gorgeous! That needs an award!

6. Itsme! says:

I live in New Mexico and this last weekends snow storm really did a number on our hummingbirds, but they all survived. It was so sad to see them shivering while they gorged on the sugar water to stay warm. I wanted to bring them inside!

Dustin H., FABULOUS picture!

7. That’s an amazing photo.

8. OMG thais is a Fabulous photo.

LOVE it.

9. Aww. This is a really awesome photo.

10. victoreia says:

What gorgeous coloring! And the tiara! OMG!!!1!!!

11. Birdcage says:

Many species of hummingbirds are sturdier than you might think – they nest and live at high altitudes, near the timberline, in some very cold climes. Sudden extremes can be hard on any of our anipals, but sturdy-withstanders sometimes come in small packages!

12. Now THAT is a fascinator…

13. Mary (the first) says:

What a wonderful photo! Thanks Dustin!

14. :O I must pet his lovely fluffy feathers!

15. The Dutchess of Cupcake says:

Unbelievably gorgeous.

16. Agent99 says:

Awesome capture of an awesome creature. Snowflake is a huge bonus!

17. 260Oakley says:

Must be pretty chilly in Buckinghum Palace.

18. Dustin H, what a perfect Kodak moment! Great job. Beautiful photo.

19. … now if I could catch shooting star with my beak ……..

20. marthava says:

WIN

21. marthava says:

WIN II

22. I would love to see a house full of hummingbirds. That would be awesome.

23. I got a new desktop pic!

24. tracylee says:

MUCH better hat than Beatrice’s. Can I borrow it for Derby Day?

25. psychethos says:

If this hasn’t been submitted to some kind of nature photography competition, it needs to! Great shot! I love the way the hummie looks like he is trying to see the flake on his head, going “What manner of thing is this?”

26. My thoughts exactly Em!

27. OK so I LOVE and adore Cute Overload but usually I don’t actually GASP out loud! It is sooooooooooooooo special!!!!!!!!! I’m only twelve but I can safely say this THE best cute site!LOOOOOVVVEE eet!

28. Noelegy says:

When I was a teenager, a hummingbird got into my bedroom. We had no idea what to do because we were so afraid of touching it and possibly harming it. We ended up putting a pillowcase on a broom and waving it as close as possible without touching it and eventually urging it back out into the great outdoor.

29. Noelegy says:

Indeed. I’m suitably fascinated!

30. victoreia says:

No kidding! What was she thinking with that thing?

31. I can’t remember where I read it, but one fashion commentator said it looked like she’d run into a wall and part of it had stuck to her head. :mrgreen:

32. Great Aunt Kitty says:

I immediately called 2 of my sisters and had them check out this major Oh No!!!! moment! I didn’t want them to live in the world one more moment wihthout seeing this picture!!!

33. countessmara says:

Where in New Mexico do we have hummers? Haven’t seen one up here in Santa Fe, are you down in the southern mountains?

That is one awesome photo. Love the snowflake perched ever so perfectly on his little puffed up head!

I’m dusting off and filling up the feeder just in case.

34. The wee toes!

35. cofreak says:

I literally said “Ahhhhhn!” out loud! How cute!

36. Not that Bob, the other Bob says:

Great constructed image, but I think CO should stop featuring ‘shopped images. Just sayin’.

37. purrpal says:

Awesome photo!!

38. What a fantastic photo. I’d love to see more from Dustin, wonder if he has a Flickr stream or photoblog?

39. That’s the floofiest hummingbird I’ve ever seen! We usually have really sleek ones around here….

40. kibblenibble says:

Birds floof their feathers up to keep warm when it’s cold. :-)

41. Beatrice and her crazy hats! We’ve seen her wear way more outrageous numbers than that. When she stepped out of the car we were like “Oh, Someone must have told Beatrice to tone it down for the wedding. That’s rather conservative for her.” The girl is just a colorful character. You can tell one day she’s going to be one of those wealthy, harmless, eccentric-old-women with her head in the clouds.

I have a niece with the same birthday as her, 8/8/88, strange taste in clothing as well. Really the sweetest girl but very odd and a bit ditsy. Think “Phoebe Buffay” from Friends.

42. what an amazing photograph – my brain is esploding thinking about how *tiny* that snowflake must be! the detail in this photo is superb – thank you so much for sharing!

43. Slain! I am SLAIN!

44. Or like she had Chthulu on her head. 8O

45. Or Cthulhu. I can never remember where the h’s go.

46. sydney says:

Dustin H………… Hoffman?!!! ;)

47. Martha in Washington says:

I got my Derby hat out today in preparation for Saturday! I have a party every year and make my friends wear Derby hats too!

48. Martha in Washington says:

All I can say is…NO WAY!! Some photographers are so lucky to get shots like that. What photographic god do they pray to get those shots?

49. victoreia says:

:lol: My mother thought it was Rudolph’s antlers!

50. Just perfect! An image to make the heart melt!

51. Katrina says:

Snerkity-snerk-snerk I thought of antlers, too.

52. Katrina says:

A fabulous shot and I agree, it must be submitted to a photo contest. It is truly wonderful!

53. Best. Photograph. EVER.

54. Wow! Amazing shot and a fluffed up buddy.

55. Guenhwyvar says:

Dustin H, this is so GORGEOUS I want to paint it!!!!

56. Black-chinned Hummingbird.. I believe? Too cute for words.

57. WendyPinNJ says:

That is FABULOUS!

58. i have to say… this is one of the best photos on this site.
    and this is saying A LOT

59. Christine says:

That is a truly beautiful photo. I suggest you send it to the National Geographic reader photos contest.

60. Hummingbird + Snowflake = SHOT IN A MILLION! *standing ovation*

61. We live west of ABQ, but my family in Espanola and Los Alamos get hummers all the time. Put out your feeder and you should have about a dozen this year, and more next year! Good Luck!

62. very nice well taken

63. Just stunning! I squeed. Then Tweeted. Then Facebooked. omg!

64. That’s awsome.