OMGRABBITDRESSAGE

WTF, People—rabbits are now competing for jumping ribbons. Check out the awesomeness at The Daily Mail:

SPROIIIIING!

Stephen H., I challenge you TO A JUMPING DUEL

Comments

1. DUDE I TWEETED THIS TO YOU GUYS LIKE FIVE DAYS AGO.
    just sayin. it changed my life.

2. Wow. I really had a difficult day today but that put a smile on my face and melted my heart. I love leaping bun buns :D

3. Nothing like a lil’ ol’ Karate Kid to get the blood pumpin’!!!

4. OMGCUTENESSCANKILLYOUQUICKLY!

5. THAT is something I’ve never seen before. Sproing Olympics!!!

6. THAT is something I’ve never seen before!! Sproing Olympics!!

7. Ooops. Sorry…

8. Christine says:

I’m dead.

9. No WAAAAAAY !!!!

10. victoreia says:

[jaw drops] Ooooo-kaaaaay.

11. Legotech says:

Bunny Agility?? It’s pretty cool when the doggies do it, but BUNNIES!!!???!!!

12. Dressage is completely on the ground. There is no jumping involved in dressage. A better term would be Show Jumping or Grand Prix.

13. Mary (the first) says:

Never have I wanted a bunneh more! Not that I would have the energy to run around like that with one.. just knowing that they can do that is enough!! Too much!!

14. So terribly cute. I just can’t handle it.

15. The_Swede says:

Quote: “Trainers say restraints are vital to prevent uncontrolled breeding”

That actually happened once in Sweden during a “kaninhoppning”-contest. The roof to the arena collapsed and a lot of rabbits got out of their cages. The result: A LOT of new rabbits after a few months :P

16. Alice Shortcake says:

1) Buy patch of waste ground
    2) Set up a Bunny Show Jumping Course
    3) Advertise
    4) Wallow in carrot-fuelled athletic hilarity
    5) PROFIT!!!

17. dogsleder says:

I love the way some of the jumps got a hesitation! Psyching themselves up and then SPROING!!

18. Legotech says:

Katie, bunny three day eventing? Can we do Bunny Steeplechase too??? :)

19. dogsleder says:

Just noticed the sign. Is that Santa’s sleigh being pulled by a Jack-a-lope?

20. 260Oakley says:

First Picture: Air Force Bun

21. Ahahaha! Love that first picture and its hovertext!

22. Wiener says:

Based on the Boing 747 if I’m not mistaken.

23. :shock:

24. Hey Santa keeps up with the times, reindeers are so last week ;-)

25. Katrina says:

In your face, Mark Twain!

26. Sharpy says:

sometimes we need to wait for the effects to wear off before posting it.

27. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Yup. What I was gonna say. I used to ride dressage so I know…the feet never leave the ground. ;-)

28. Killer Klown says:

Bunneh needs a cape.

29. Yup I did dressage and show jumping when I was younger too!

30. Andi from NC says:

The music totally made it!

31. Did you see the bun who was so eager for her person to pick her up? I loved that part!

32. (The Original) Mel says:

Sproinglympics.

33. SoCalSis says:

OMG! The feet NEVER leave the ground? This is horses we’re talking about? I can just picture it, sort of like ice-dancing horses w/o the leaps and spangles, gliding along in intricate patterns. Definitely would sign up for that event! Now, Buns, gliding along, maybe with their little hannies tucked behind their backs a la Hans Brinker… too amazing indeed!

34. SoCalSis says:

My first out loud laugh of the day. Thanks, Wiener, I needed that!

35. maggie says:

The feet never leaving the ground isn’t exactly true. In modern dressage there are moments with all four of the horse’s feet off the ground like the suspension phase in the canter, or in the case of some horses during the extended trot, but no leaping for height. There are movements in the “haute d’ecole” called “airs above the ground” which involve jumping or leaping movements. These movements (listed in order of increasing difficulty), the croupade, the ballotade, the capriole, the courbette and the mezair are based upon the pesade and levade (not technically “airs” but not performed in modern dressage tests either) and are most commonly seen performed by Lipizzaners.

36. tracylee says:

bun-gility courses are all the rage

37. AHAHAHAHAHA! What a riot! Water hazards, combination fences, cavalettis for training – this is just a hoot. Mind you, when I was show jumping (on horseback that is) MY trainer couldn’t jump over the fences to show me the way. People would have paid good money to see that!

38. I KNEW I remembered this. Peeps, the Danish show jumping bunnies is one of the first CO postings I ever saw, way back in ’07!
    Check it!

39. :D

40. Tiberia says:

*Wonders how to get a bun to do a leg yield*

Maybe an ear yield?

41. Wow! That’s so cool! I didn’t think bunnehs could jump that high!

42. Mr. McGregor’s gonna have to buy a bigger fence.

43. :D

44. That was my favorite part too.. well that and the awesome music and the effortless flying over the hurdles no matter how high or how wide.

45. HAHAhahahaha!

46. Heh!

47. I remember this from a few years ago. How hard is it to get a rabbit to jump? Apparently more than I thought.

48. I did show jumping for years, now I do dressage. The references here are cracking me up!

49. You know what I hate? Coming here and seeing how people totally miss the essence of a post. No, it’s not dressage, but who would really care that it wasn’t? We got it. Geesh. Get off your high horse people.

50. I sent in stuff about bunny show jumping FOUR YEARS ago…Repeatedly! I know you must get all kinds of mail, but organized athletic events for bunnies are a “stop the presses” kind of thing for you guys.

51. RiBunkulous!

52. muttluver says:

I know.

Much as I love them, this completely blows any dog competition OUT OF THE WATER. Seriously

53. Loff, loff, loff teh black & white flyingk bunny at teh top!!!
    I will name it Snoopy.

I looked it up and it’s a breed called Californian Rabbit!

54. Andrew says:

Ha ha, Snoopy most definitely.

55. SoCalSis says:

Maggie, I thought your details were interesting… who knew there was such a variety of fancy dancing those horses do!?! One thing I love about Cute Overload is getting such glimpses into these amazing hidden corners. Thanks!

56. Did anyone notice the “Yield to santa sled with reindeer” sign in the photo at top? Random but hilhareous.

57. Fird Birfle says:

*snerk*

58. Fird Birfle says:

YUP noticed & loved!!!

59. And from standing still (the last bun)!

60. Awww….maybe i should get my bunnies to do that. The one who stood up after he jumped was adorable…reminds me of my little one.

61. Human beings are sooo silly….

62. MoniMe says:

Love ‘em!

63. Savagewoman says:

It’s not too hard, actually. It sorta comes naturally to them :) A little persistence is usually all it takes.

64. That first pic can be bought in high-res on http://www.actionpress.de – search for “30303445000001”.

Yes I’m gonna buy a print.

65. Ashley says:

“We got it. Geesh. Get off your high horse people.”

….I see what you did there.

66. OMG I WANNA TEACH MY BUNNY TO DO THIS!!!
    i am soooo gonna try and teach my bunny!
    anybody knows if its difficult?

67. You’ve hit the ball out the park! Incrledibe!