Vintage Cat in the Hat

Once, long ago, some girl dropped a bonnet,
And a curious kitten crawled in and upon it.
‘Twas 1885, that’s quite a while,
So only the kitten is still in style.

Image from George Eastman House via The Commons on Flickr.

Comments

1. Look at how stripey little kitty is!

2. I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. …

3. LOL this made me think of the that song about easter bonnets with all the frills upon it… Must go find that song.!!

4. kibblenibble says:

I also love the stripes. I wonder if they will get wider as the kitten grows.

5. In your Easter bonnet
    With all the frills upon it,
    You’ll be the grandest lady in the Easter Parade . . . :mrgreen:

6. Kittens – Cute in any century.

7. Remind me of this :D

8. That is it… I was trying to find a video of the song, but boss showed up. I will have to find it when I get off work this afternoon..

9. darkshines says:

As a steampunk, I find this post offensive. 1885 fashions are ALWAYS in style! ;P

10. This must have been one last binge before bonnet-hab.

11. I wonder what they had for a Cute blog back then?

Prolly something like a piece of wood nailed to a post at the general store, and then people would carve “LIKE” or “OMG QTE” in the wood with a pocket knife.

12. When I was a kid and was taking tap and jazz dancing lessons (pause for Jazz Hands), we learned a tap dance to that song. You should have seen the ridiculous costume I had to wear…

13. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!!! says:

I WANNA SEE the photo, Nikki !!

14. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!!! says:

“LIKE” this!!!

15. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!!! says:

cool connection :)

16. Unless you were a madame, then you had one of your girls carve it for you….with her nail, while another flashed the merchant and got you a 20% discount.

Ah, the good ol’ days.

17. I interned at the George Eastman House…Awesome place! I’m sure they have lots more like this :)

18. victoreia says:

Isn’t that from “Meet me in Saint Louis”?

19. ashagato says:

Let’s hear it for Rochester, NY, and the George Eastman House! Wonderful for anyone interested in the history of photography…

20. A lacy version of a catchers mitt.

21. Possibly. It was definitely in Easter Parade, 1948 Judy Garland and Fred Astaire classic. Youtube has the trailer (and several clips of some of the numbers from the film – great stuff) which features some of the song and shots of the parade scene, but I was unable to find the parade scene itself. Google’s search algorithms let me down.

22. Only if you add goggles. :P

23. It does not seem like today’s tabby stripes are qute so distinct . . . I know the ones on my Molly aren’t (and of course my Molly is the model for tabbies everywhere). I wonder if 140 years or so of free breeding among American Domestic Shorthairs have made tabby stripes less prominent?

24. “so all i can say is ‘I WANT IT!'”

sry. got a little ocd over the unfinished limerick. please return to your homes, hutches, dens, and habitrails. nothing to see here. nopers.

25. baby birdie says:

;)

26. Antiqui-squee.

27. puddlepeppers says:

I’ll be all in clover
    and when they look us over,
    I’ll be the proudest fella in the Easter Parade.
    On the avenue, Fifth Avenue,
    the photographers will snap us,
    and you’ll find that you’re in the rotogravure.
    Oh, I could write a sonnet
    about your Easter bonnet,
    and about the girl I’m taking to the Easter Parade.

28. AWW :D What a cutie :D

29. Were the first boxhab candidates the Egyptian cats? Maybe they weren’t entombed so much as really attracted to the sarcophagi?

30. tinee tintype tabbee?