Charming Chirping Cheetah Child!

At his four-week weigh-in at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, this little feller starts chirping for his meelks! Cue mommy zookeeper with a bottle to calm him down.

Comments

1. i’ll take the zookeeper, oh yes please. rawr!

2. So wish I could hold and feed a chirping cheetah. My favoritest cat of all.

3. sunnylessmum says:

Well I’m done for the day after that! Teeny bebeh cheetah sounds?! OMG!

4. Aw. <3

5. I LOVE the cheetah chirps! It’s completely not what we would expect, and turns out to be such a happy little surprise.

6. The photos of this little guy on Zooborns are beyond gorgeous, but the squeaks stole my heart. Why can’t I get a job like that? Nursing baby cheetahs, I mean. I already squeak like a bird.

7. Sounds like an otter actually.

8. i want to be a mommy zoo keeper.

9. kibblenibble says:

I NOMinate the guy for the men of CO calendar! The chirps were SO cute, but what I found most heart-melting was the moment of bliss when the bottle arrived. And my favorite part of any kitten -even wild ones- is the pointiness of the immature tailio. Sweet.

10. OMG, so STINKIN’ cute!!! REEKING!!

11. That’s the well-documented “carrot tail.” :D

12. “This? Oh, this is just the baby cheetah who lives in my living room…”

13. OMG, you need a head splosion warning Tag for this

So much cuteness when he’s feeding @_@

14. Why doesn’t MY job involve playing with baby cheetahs?

15. Okay, prepare to be jealous, for I have had the chance to hold and play with a behbeh cheetah. And that’s when the scar on my head appeard, during the aspolode of teh cute.

Also got to play with a bear cub at the same place :D

16. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!! says:

*pouting*

“you did NOT. Mo–o–om !!!…”

*stomps feet*

17. Chuck that cheetah some cheddar cheese!

18. Dream job.

19. my thought exactly!

20. I have just turned green with envy!

21. There must some cheetah genes in my cats because they reacted to the baby cheetah chirping, climbing all over me to get to the screen.

22. Sweet! I’m sick with the flu today, but it’s this kind of cute that’ll kill me!

23. (The Original) Mel says:

Minions! Bring zee meeelks! I demand it will be so! Chop chop!

24. Cheetahs don’t growl or purr, I believe – the only yip. EEP EEP EEP.

25. muttluver says:

LOVE the alliteration in the title.

And at the risk of sounding like a kid on youtube wanting “thumbs up,” I’m curious–does anyone else feel the same?

26. JacksonsGirl says:

My poor kitty…Jackson, hence my name. FREAKED out. He was sitting next to me when I played the video and jumped and stared at the screen, then jumped away. It was SO CUTE! The baby and my own baby. :-D

Do we know the status of the baby? Was it denied by its momma and now has people mammas? Thats what happened here in DC. There were two mommas that each had one baby, one before the other. The one momma *the first one* wanted nothing to do with the baby, so they put the baby with the other momma when she had HER baby. And now they are a happy family.

I LOVED the guy. He kept telling the baby how good it was. For sitting in a basket and then sitting in the kitty couch! ALL kitty babies are good when they do those things!!

27. bonus cats in racks during the video or should that be cheetah in racks

28. Karma's Mom says:

They have the best job in the world! How I regret having chosen the wrong career…
    What an adorable baby!

29. JannieWolf says:

Was there a date on this?? I was at BG 2 weeks ago and SO did not see this adorable puff.

30. kibblenibble says:

Theresa: Thanks! Now I know its “proper” name! :-)

31. Mary (the first) says:

yes, another candidate for the Cute Men of CO Fame calendar. Sign him up!!

32. Mary (the first) says:

** “like” ** :D

33. Smartiepants says:

Must. Watch. Again!

34. Jenn in IL says:

I WANNA HOLD A BABY CHEETAH AND FEED HIM MEELKS. RIGHT NOW!!! *stomps*

35. The apres-feeding part looks like it was shot in someone’s apartment. Hmmm. I live close to the San Diego Zoo… if you guys ever need a safe-house for any baby cheetahs, you give me a call.

36. Sign ME up for the judging!

37. Where? Where?

38. I too want a life do-over and make dang sure I have this job.

39. No place you’d want to be. Turned out to be an illegal operation.

40. Martha in Washington says:

My thoughts EXACTLY!!

41. Chirping cheetah? I die. :-)

42. Totally adorable. They are one of the few wild cats that purrrr…. showing their affinity with humans. The chirps are surreal. It made my day.

43. I just went “squeeeeeeeeeee!” all the way through that videos. :)

44. They *can* purr. Apparently the only big cat that can. But then, the cheetah is classified as the only member of the genus “Acinonyx” in the Felidae (cats) group, so they are different from both small cats *and* big cats. :)

45. Purrrrs RULE! :D

46. baby birdie says:

My brother and I once got these colorful little toy birds that had sensors at the bottom. If you touched all of the sensors, THEY WOULD CHIRP JUST LIKE THIS THING.

47. Marianne says:

true story: I’m usually really jealous of people who comment saying that their cats reacted to the sounds of a video on the computer, because my Sir Julius never pays them any mind. EXCEPT this video! when the chirping played he ran full force into the room and jumped up to the window because he thought they were real birds! that, plus the cute video, just made my morning.

48. BEST. JOB. EVER.

49. This, people, is why we need to take our science classes more seriously in grade school and junior high–so we can have cool jobs like caring for newborn cheetahs and chimps and deer-type creatures. So when your children say, “Mom/Dad, why do I have to do my science homework? It’s not like I’m ever gonna use this stuff in real life,” you can say, “Hold the phone, buster, one of these days you might get to work in a zoo or at an aquarium.”

50. Meriweather says:

@JacksonsGirl http://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/2011/03/hand-rearing-a-cheetah-cub.html the zooborns link has all the info (and bonus fluffy pic-shers) but in short, the mom wasn’t feeding him so they’re hand-rearing, and he’ll be able to rejoin the group once he is a big boy.

51. I know someone who works at the Columbus, OH zoo, and she’s on Jack Hanna’s team. So she gets to train the little animals that he takes on tv shows. This consists of playing with baby cheetahs and snow leopards and penguins and flamingos, etc. She even gets to take them home with her to get them used to traveling and being around people! Needless to say, I am endlessly jealous of her.

52. Hmph. Can’t see the video at work, but will use this kitteh-related post to give an update on Gabby. She has a urinary tract infection and will be on antibiotics for two weeks. She’s apparently feeling feisty enough to let us know just what she thinks of that. THANK YOU all for your good wishes. Gabby continues to hiss in the face of the Reaper, year after year.

53. Sharon Wilson says:

No fair! I want that job! :(

54. I love the built-in mohawk on the little guy!

55. bookmonstercats says:

NOW I see why you’re called the Mad Cat Lady, Barbarella ;)

56. bookmonstercats says:

Yaaay for Gabby.

57. puddlepeppers says:

Yay!

58. My eyes just turned green with envy.
    And my heart just melted.
    I die from teh cute.

59. Yay for feisty Gabby! Woo hoo!!

60. What a relief!

61. Awwww that little chirping cheetah is breaking my heart! I want to be a zookeeper!

62. Kimberly says:

Cheetahs do purr. Philly has an “adult zoo camp” and I was able to go back into the cheetah enclosure (while the cheetahs were in smaller enclosures within it). They had just finished exercising and were crashed out, and they were PURRING. Sounded like an outboard motor.

63. I’d be even more jealous if you got to play with that hawt zookeeper, but cheetah babies are ok too.

64. AWW :D That is great news and tell Gabby to continue to HISS in the face of the Reaper :twisted:

65. AWW :D What a cutie :D

66. Bunny Rousseau says:

I foster kittens for our local shelter..when they have an illness they receive meds (also my own 2 when ill) but I also give them strawberry yougurt to help keep the meds from causing tummy problems (loose poops) some of them lick it off a plate others have it syringed into them usually 2x daily good luck..

67. If you can’t get what is – obvy – the most perfect job in the world, see if you can get a ‘close encounter’ experience at your local zoo. My partner surprised me for my birthday with one of these. The money he paid for it went towards upkeep of the cheetahs at the zoo and also towards an African cheetah charity. It was very informative and just an amazing thing to do. We got to meet two of the adult cheetahs and – I kid you not – give them back massages! They purred just like any kitteh would while having a nice massage. People book these experiences alot at our zoo and the cheetahs are really cool with it – I think that to them visitors are just an ever-changing roster of masseurs/masseuses hired by the zoo to keep them feeling relaxed!

68. Yep. That´s me. ;)

Just another observation – isn´t Tampa Bay in the States? How come both of them are talking with Austrayyylian accents?

69. catladyk says:

Where’s the Momma?

70. It sounds just like a squeeze toy!

71. muttluver says:

…………….because……………they’re American.

Seriously, there’s a little bit of everything here. Shouldn’t be surprising.

72. Ruffian9 says:

My ovaries just grew three sizes with the chirping…..why am I not one of these people?

73. Ruffian9 says:

mine too…so cute as cubs (as all kitties) , so much lanky gorgeousness as adults.

74. Ruffian9 says:

ADULT ZOO CAMP? Holy crap I wanna go!

75. Ruffian9 says:

Ooooh..I’ll have to look into something like that. Thanks.

76. Actually Pumas a/k/a cougars a/k/a mountain lions also purr. Years ago a zoologist friend visited with her traveling family. She was visiting schools and giving educational talks on conservation and wildlife with her family of timber wolf, LARGE (and very sweet) python, ferrets, hedgehog and year old Tashina cougar. She and the family stayed with us in our tiny Levitt home on Long Island while their truck and mobile home were being repaired, so I got to hear Cougar purrs up close and personal!

77. eternalcanadian says:

Very cute. If this was a “singleton”cub, the mum cheetah can’t look after it because one cub does not stimulate her enough to produce milk. The same thing happened at the National Zoo and they cross-fostered a singletone with another mum cheetah who also gave birth to a singleton. I guess they weren’t able to do that at Busch so it is up to us humans to help nature along a little! :)

78. zookeep might be cute, but he was definitely hamming it up for the camera. make sure you get in every shot why don’t yah? what a turn off.