Checker Bored

For years Grampa’s been meeting up with the old guys down at the park for their morning checkers matches as usual under the oak trees. Lately, Gramp’s been on a winning streak. Says it’s his “lucky” checker piece. Says he got it at the Shell station.

It’s the old shell game, Leila.

Comments

1. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!! says:

ooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

(also “squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee”)

2. I hope Gramps didn’t have to shell out too much for it!

3. Wow! Sooo tiny!! We should pair this little guy up with the wee little frog from a few days ago. So many teensy finger-tip animals lately. :)

4. ashagato says:

i’m on a roll with sensing new posts lately….

5. ashagato says:

what a great photo! love how only his EYE is in focus.

6. Oh, my, that’s adorable!! And I’m now imagining a checkers game played only with these little guys. Maybe tiny black and red dots on their shells (water based and non-toxic, of course). No one would win, probably, but it’d make for an entertaining game.

7. victoreia says:

And now we know the real inspiration for wizard’s chess!

8. I doubt paint could do turtle shells much harm, since the shells are nonpermeable and it’s not like they can lick them :D

9. I’m going to be a spoil sport here but not in a mean way. When I was a little kid they used to paint the baby red-earred sliders ‘ shells with little flowers when they sold them in dime stores. This practice was ended because it caused the shells to deform. A dot probably wouldn’t hurt and non-toxic water-based would be best. Also, although we all tend to do it, it’s best to put your hand under a turtle. It causes more stress than we’d imagine by holding by the edges of the shell. Their shells do have feelings in them.

10. Martha in Washington says:

Turtle looks a little disgruntled there.

11. LOL!

12. Sounds Alice-in-Wonderland-ish!

13. Ehn! Ehn! Put me down, you fool – I was WINNING!

14. I totally remember those painted turtles! They were like some sort of odd art form but I never understood why you would use a turtle shell as a canvas. Now that I know it caused them great harm, I feel even worse.

15. Yes Martha, I think this post should double as a disapproving turtle! Look at that face! lol.

16. Look Mom I’m flying!

17. Gigi (the original one) says:

He looks shell shocked.

18. King me!

19. Colonel Jenna says:

The bottomless blackness of the center of his death-dealing eye, I am mesmerized. I stare into the depths, the circle of blackness grows larger, and larger, sucking me in sllldks………….

20. sunnylessmum says:

Thank you for letting us know Linda. I for one did not know that holding them by the edges of their shells was a no no. Not that I usually have a chance to hold them, but still, ya never know. The paint thing, aye aye aye! When will humans stop doing stupid things to animals? I know, prolly never. :(

21. “You put me down or I’m gonna tell my Uncle Gamera on you.”

22. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!! says:

Alors; bien sur, Mlle!!!!

23. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!! says:

I’ve always rather enjoyed the fact that turtles have sharp pointy beaked mouths like a hawk or a falcon. Not sure why.

24. o no he/ she/ it DI-unt!!! says:

Poetic Potential there!!!

25. Oh yes Gamera, the giant turtle with a jet engine up it’s wazoo.
    Love him!

26. Lewis n' Clark says:

“I’m just a pawn in your game.”

27. I always loved watching them “snap” up their food. Did you know red-eared sliders ‘hiss’ when they are disturbed? Beak like an eagle, hiss like a kitten, the size of a checker = cute as a button.

28. bob drummond says:

Yes, I agree completely! Animals should never be used as canvases
    for some idiot’s idea of “artwork”.Oy Vey!!!! Very stupid indeed.GOD’s
    creatures should never be used in such a barbaric manner. Try to
    paint something stupid on a gorilla or a lion or on a croc, or better yet
    -on the shell of a Snapping Turtle! They’ll give you something to
    remember them by.!

29. bob drummond says:

Yes, Wend.Very discriptive and even poetic.I kind of
    like it.

30. bob drummond says:

That was funny,Gigi. I remember him too.