And a Happy 92nd Birthday To…

… J. Whizzington Pepperpoodle, billionaire inventor of the nose hair curling iron. The jubilant nonagenarian attended a private birthday celebration at his 127-room, 20,000-acre summer home, surrounded by family, who assisted with the candles.

He looks very… well-preserved, Mischa.

Comments

1. NTMTOM,
    My sister and I agree, you need help or you need to help US!! Too MUCH!!

2. I love the necktie. :)

3. what a cutie! love the tie; very distinguished.

4. Mary (the first) says:

And I thought my cats were spoiled! sheesh

5. Either they’re celebrating some obscure holiday called “Bus Day”, or someone is temporarily short a front tooth or two.

6. Is he a Pisces?

7. I want to eat that whole cake in one sitting.

8. victoreia says:

I can’t get over how the cat’s sitting like that!

9. well, if he didn’t have diabeetus before nomming that cake…

10. (The Original) Mel says:

Re-post of one of my all-time faves! I love the giggling girls!

11. It’s good to see that Papa is doing okay despite the earthquake.

12. That’s unkind :) The Japanese have great difficulty pronouncing the ‘th’ dipthong. Actually it’s a quite uncommon sound in many languages, English is somewhat rare to have it.

13. It’s Korin from “Dragonball”!

14. First off, the asthmatic should not be blowing out the candles, the cake isn’t something the kitty can eat, and he looks pretty clueless. But he is pretty damn cute, and awfully agreeable.

15. Martha in Washington says:

Papa is seriously underwhelmed!

16. The poor kitty has no idea what’s going on, true, but I don’t think the cake itself is for him. That’s for his guests. And did you see his feet?! Floofy Feet!!

17. You sure this isn’t Wilfred Brimley? ;-)

18. *whispers* (Not just you and your sister.)

19. Yeah, you may need to work on those neglection issues. There’s clearly a whole new standard afoot.

20. Have to agree. It was the most precious thing to hear them sing it!

21. Phhfftt! Honey, I had that cake and ate it in one minute. Oh amateurs.

22. LOL!!!

23. I’m not. But “Wilford” is certainly well-behaved and extremely tolerant of hoomans.

24. I love the word ‘dipthong’

25. Hey, you blew out my candles, now I don’t get a wish.

26. Hilarious. :)

27. And also “birthday” has long been adopted to Katakana (character set often used for words with foreign origin) Japanese “ba-su dei” so it is technically already a Japanese word without the “th” sound to start with. :)

28. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!!! says:

I b’lieve this guy learned all he knows about Indignant Disapproval, from
    Foghorn Leghorn (see below)

29. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!!! says:

Emphatically agree.

30. Me too, although “th” isn’t a dipthong, it’s a dental fricative (another awesome word). Dipthongs are always vowel sounds.

The Dutch can’t do the “th” either. They’d be singing “Happy Burt-day”. :D

31. starling says:

The “th” isn’t a dipthong, it’s a fricative.

A dipthong has to do with vowels. It’s when a vowel has “two sounds”. Look at the word “sound”, for instance. The “ou” is pronounced “aoo”.

/phonetics nerd

32. Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie says:

Still one of my favorite videos:D

33. baby birdie says:

That kitteh looks so confused and full of disapproval at the same time.

34. Alice Shortcake says:

“Stop blowing in my direction, yer setting off me arthritis!”

35. (Quoting my favorite Cheez-It commercial)

“Nice tie, sir…is that a Windsor knot?”

36. happycat77 says:

I think the kitteh is terrified that the flames will set his fluffy fur on fire.

Would love to hear what his purr sounds like in Japanese. ;)

37. Haha. “What do you call a cheese that isn’t yours?” “Nacho cheese!”

“Knock, knock” “Who’s th–?” “The interrupting cheese!”

I love the immature cheese! :)

38. Awesome hovertext.

39. I wonder if that s-u-weet armchair was one of Pepper’s gifts. :D

40. That’s azackly who this is! Who could possibly fail to recognize?!

41. Rappenwolf says:

Love the pic but my first thought was “Why did someone dress a cat like a Sumo wrestler?”

42. Actually it’s spelled dipHthong.

43. No, they have the neckties around their crotches, right?

44. squintandpurr says:

yeah, its diphthong. A dipthong is an itsy bitsy teeny weeny bikini bottom.

45. LOL!!!! Yep, it’s Wilford Brimley allright.

46. DH is of Dutch extraction. Sometimes he pronounces the ‘th’ as an ‘s’ or a ‘z’!
    eg Thistle =sissle, though = zough

aw! :)

47. But “dear Papa?” Did they call him Papa as a wee kitten? What foresight.

48. Someone get those delightful kids some inhalers!

49. It’s the opposite of naming the cutie-pie kitten “Fluffikins” and having him grow up to be a battle-scarred badass (probably in reaction to being named Fluffikins). :mrgreen:

50. Another NTMTOM tour de force.

51. I like Bus Day. Support Public Transportation!

52. PS Doesn’t he resemble Onion founder T. Herman Zweibel?

53. I go into deep mourning when the cheese “matures.” :cry:

54. What a fatty! Love the girth. :o)

55. victoreia says:

Which is why I’m not letting my two see this! They expect too much already!

56. Have we heard from Winston the Japanese superstar cat since the quake/tsunami/nuke meltdown??

57. spaceaged says:
  58. Well preserved? Hell, he’s channeling Wilfred Brimley!

59. right! like “sumisu” = Smith (especially because you drop the last vowel, so it comes out s’MISS)

60. That’s a really big fluffy kitty. Look at those feet, he’s huge! Want to snuggle him.

61. “Enough with the bad singing. Bring me my Tuna Fish Toro Cake!

62. Actually, how many languages pronounce “th” like we do in English? I’m no omniglot, but I can’t think of any . . . so maybe *we’re* pronouncing it wrong!

Plus, I can sing exactly zero songs in Japanese. Big points for this version.

63. Happy Bus Day, Papa Brimley! :)

64. That cat CANNOT BELIEVE those children are stealing his wish! and on his Birthday too :(

65. mamabear says:

Gotta agree with ya.

I think Papa’s cute and all, but the Bus Day singing is toe-curling cute! We were forced to watch it multiple times for the song alone. It SOOOO reminded me of “Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show”. You HAVE TO watch it. You will be hooked on Keiko and I promise that you WILL be singing the tune tomorrow, much to the delight (or chagrin) of your friends and family.

Is there anything cuter than the cute-loving Japanese?!

66. psychethos says:

I must say, I am a much more efficient candle blower. And the kitteh is as cute and disgruntled as ever.

67. kibblenibble says:

I think the children are blowing out the candles from off-camera so it will look like Papa is doing it. :lol:

68. And what about Maru? Doesn’t he (she?) and the humans reside in Japan?

69. How do you know she’s asthmatic? lol.

70. :lol: Papa the kitty is another spoiled rotten kitty we all know :lol:

71. LOL!! I’d actually like to meet these reading kitties!

72. ROTFL!! I somehow missed all these “bus-day” references here.

LOL!! You guys are too cute! :D

73. I don’t know about Winston, but Maru’s owner has posted that he and kitteh are both safe.

74. Children?

They sound more like late teens or young adults too me.

And the girl isn’t Asthmatic, she’s just laughing while trying to blow. Have you ever tried to do anything while laughing uncontrollably?

The Cat is very cute! The tie is adorable.

75. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

*BEST use of a nifty noun this week* (“girth”) :)

76. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

77. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

oops; my intention was that my smileyface should have
    shown up, under the Honorable Theresa’s
    “Public Transportation” comment ….

*blushes*

78. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

mambear:

1) You’re entirely correct, about the “Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show”!!

2) I will suggest one contender/ competition for cuteness with the cute-loving Japanese … that wonderful military helmet-wearin’ Micro Hermit Crab, from last week … How does one propose marriage to a H. Crab???

79. Bookwolf says:

I think the grumpy looking cat is planning his revenge for making him look daft. You see how he looks from side to side as if deciding who will feel his wrath first!

80. That cake is probably 95% oatmeal.

81. greeneyedpirate says:

Hahaha that’s exactly what I was thinking! I’m like omg that cat is going to have DIA-BEETUS

82. Thought they were singing “Happy Mouseday to You.” OK, that’s not a real song, but he probably would have been a lot more receptive if they put a mouse in front of him instead of a cake.
    Maybe they’ll get it right on his next mouseday.

83. Argyle Donkeypants says:

Ah, the voiceless dental fricative. Does Castilian Spanish count? Technically it’s not a “th” sound like we use, but an “s.” I would also think that Greek would have it, since the sound is represented by the letter theta in the IPA. But since I don’t speak it, I can’t confirm.

84. Love the candles too. Very extinguished. Eventually.

85. I especially like the way he suddenly becomes very mildly aware that the candles are blown out and he almost shows a bit of ‘Is it time for cake?!” about him, for a second.

86. Teenygozer says:

How could they resist petting his soft little furry head? He is so fluffity!

87. shortly after this was made, Papa Wilford wrote his caretakers out of his will.

88. This comment can-not go unappreciated. LOL!!

89. I believe that Winston is American.

90. My 2.5yo daughter’s immediate response: “He’s a very big kitty!”