Monkeh Lisa Smile

Behind the mystique, the intrigue, the enigma, lies the timeless question –  what do monkehs smile about?

Photo by Sarah Conner, who became this baby chimp’s foster mother while working at the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund and who submitted this photo to National Geographic’s Your Shot. Thanks, Marilyn T., for sending it to CO!

Comments

1. OMG, just look at that face! The eyes are so expressive. Makes me want to pick him up immediately! Such a sweet looking little one.

2. Billie-Jo says:

Definitely smiling with the eyes! So cute!

3. “Are you Sarah Conner?”

“Come with me if you want to cuddle.”

4. Omnomnom says:

Hey Monkeh, whatcha smilin’ ’bout?
    Nothin. Jes’ monkeh stuffs, I guess.

5. Not a monkey!
    Ape! ^_^ And just as qte!

6. Retired Hippie says:

The smile combined with the arm placement clearly indicates (as my niece would say) “Me hold you?” As in “I want YOU to hold ME”

7. My friend The Annoying Pedant would like you to know that chimps aren’t monkeys.

It’s OK. I told him he’s missing the point.

8. He’s smilin’ cause he knows that in 3978, his kind are gonna take over the planet and start taking pictures of humans to submit to CO.

9. Put your little paws on me, you dream cutie ape!”

10. Mary (the first) says:

He definitely looks like he wants to be picked up and if I were in range, I would certainly be happy to oblige! He (or she) looks very very sweet and cuddly!

11. I have fostered kittehs and bunnehs. I am now ready to foster a monkeh – where ees eet?

12. Martha in Washington says:

I can actually feel my soul being sucked right in to those eyes!

13. If you want the direct link to this photo in all its adorableness, here it is:

Happy Monkey Monday from National Geographic!

14. I’m waiting for someone to ask for a picture of our favorite monkey boy foster parent.

15. Monkeh Lisa, Monkeh Lisa
    Pyrit’s named you
    You’re so like the lady with the mystic smile
    Is it only cause you’re lonely
    They have blamed you
    For that Monkeh Lisa strangeness in your smile

Do you smile to get bananas, Monkeh Lisa
    Or is this your way to hide the pooh you fling
    Many chimps have been brought to your refuge
    They get hugs there, and pick bugs there
    Are you warm, are you real, Monkeh Lisa
    Or just a cold and lonely, lovely chimpy-thing

16. Pirate Jenny says:

So glad I’m not the only one who zeroed in on her name :)

17. baileysgrandmom says:

HP wins the interwebs!
    But…where is 260 Oakley?

18. Selphie le Boffin says:

Noooooooot a monkeh..

So cute though.
    Won’t you pick me up and give me a cuddle?

19. Retired Hippie says:

OMG…Nat King Cole reference FOR THE WIN.

I’m showing my age again, aren’t I? sorry about that.

20. Out monkeying around, probably.

21. superboymom says:

ooo be dooo I wanna be like you-ooo-ooo!

22. Indeed! Happy Monkey Monday to you too, Marilyn! :-)

23. browngrl says:

my new favorite quote of the day: “Nothin. Jes’ monkeh stuffs I guess.”

24. Lillith says:

Little monkeh is pretending to cuddle Jamin.

Oh someone had to say it!

25. so beautiful… it is even better than cute.

26. What an amazing photo of an orphan chimp! “Will you be my mommy?”

The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund does wonderful work. Anyone inspired please look them up because the baby gorillas and chimps need our help.

27. You’re showing your age? I’m glad I didn’t go with the
    “Abadabadaba” pastiche.

28. I just noticed that she has thumbs for toes, and toes for thumbs.

29. Tell your friend The Annoying Pedant that Pyrit is a cladist. That’ll keep him busy for a while.

30. In the future:

Meg –> Zira
    Pyrit –> Cornelius
    NTMTOM –> Dr. Zaius

31. Lewis n' Clark says:

wow…just wow, HP

32. I can’t take any credit, Lewis n’ Clark. All I did was play Mad Lips with one of the great pop songs of all time.

33. Hold on. Two screw ups. “Mad Libs” with a b, and here’s the embed code:

34. Just for the record, I like the threading, but I wish we had Preview.

35. AlbertaGirl says:

36. AlbertaGirl,you’ve finally made a monkey out of me. Or as El Barto sez, “Estoy un [no entiende] que un todo!

A little help, please?
    Un poquito succoro, por favor?

37. {applauds appreciatively}

38. She’s got Monke Davis eyes.

39. Hon Glad says:

Thoughts of bananas make him smile.

40. I don’t see any monkey! Monkeys have tails, apes don’t!! Therefore, chimps, gorillas, & orang utans are APES, not monkeys, although they are all cute!!!

41. I like how its eyes are almost the exact same color as its face.

42. Retired Hippie says:

You’d need another monk/chimp in the pic so they could go on the abadabadaba honeymoon!

43. tracylee says:

you’re the top!
    you’re the Tower of Pisa
    you’re the top!
    you’re the Monkey Lisa!

44. Well, it’s an ape, not a monkey, but…

WHERE’S JAMIN?!??!!!

45. “I think the monkeys at the zoo should have to wear sunglasses so they can’t
    hypnotize you.” – Jack Handey, “Deep Thoughts”

46. muttluver says:

Don’t normally like chimps, but those are some of the most compelling eyes I’ve ever seen.

Also, Monkeh Lisa fit better than Apey or Chimpy Lisa, so this time it can be excused.

47. So serene and sweet faced! HUGS to you little chimp.

48. Lord Jesus, someone please give that poor little thing a sweater, hugs and a banana! THE EYES. I can’t stand it!

49. Don’t look at me like that… nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

50. OMG. I love that everyone’s first impulse is to hold that cute baby monkey.