Abnormal Animal Psychology

A rare behavior in avian species is Umbilical Deprivation Syndrome, more commonly called “navel envy.” In this state, the subject becomes fixated on the fact that it hatched from an egg and is therefore without a belly button.

We can’t stop gazing at this picture, Ken P.

Comments

1. snorglepup says:

Belly buttons are overrated. Check out mom’s legs though!

2. snorglepup says:

Reminds me of Dr. Suess’ Star-bellied-sneeches.

3. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA– *gasp*– HAHAHAHAHAAAA!

4. 260Oakley says:

Well, if he had one it would certainly be a fuzzy navel.

5. Haha!

6. No navel-gazing for him . . . but Little Guy, you aren’t missing a thing!

7. Umbilical Deprivation Syndrome? Mike, where do you come up with these ideas? How fuzzy can you be?

8. tracylee says:

I typically prefer Naval-gazing (heh!), but I’d be happy to help this one find his lint-trap if it meant snorgling a fuzzeh belleh!

9. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Theresa, what you typed is (letter-for-letter) just about
    PRECISELY what I was about to type.
    So instead, I’ll just say “DITTO”!!!!!111!!! :)

10. tracylee says:

+1 internets

11. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

@ 2600: Poifect!!

NOW. If a fellow enlists in the Navy, who has peach fuzz all over his tummy, one supposes that would be a Fuzzy NavAL, hmmmmm????

12. He hasn’t grown into his feet yet.

13. I’m a little fuzzy on the concept of navel gazing myself little guy.
    But your cuteness is very clear to me!

14. flutterby says:

Ditto Theresa and O No on the LOL…Also difficult to get past the knobbularity of the laigs. Cute little fuzzular babeh. though!

15. Hon Glad says:

I bow in humble supplication, oh mighty one.

16. totally irrelevant question, but don’t they have navels? In the egg, the fetuses are connected to the yoks so wouldn’t they have some sort of mark underneath those feathers?

17. Yeah, whaddabout that!? Huh?

18. Indupitably.

19. flutterby says:

They are connected to the yolk via navel, just don’t have bellybuttons like we do. Even when my baby tortoises hatched, they also had umbilical cords.

20. Doesn’t he look like a tennis ball? The old-school kind, obviously, not the neon-green kind.

21. NOMTOM, please add a keyboard warning to your excellent post–I almost killed mine just now laughing up Diet Coke.

22. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Another Important Philosophical Qwershtyun. If the condition (acronym U.D.S.) has been identified/ diagnosed, has the Mobile Phone Industry developed an APP for this particular AAP syndrome ?????

23. Today’s vocabulary word is…OMPHALOSKEPSIS! Impress your friends, folks!

24. WOW!

25. Seriously. I was just about to ask the same thing.
    *props chin on fists and gazes patiently in Nontom’s direction, awaiting answer.*

26. tracylee says:

I think it’s awaiting inclusion in the DSA-V first (DiagNOMstic and Squee-tistical Animal)

27. The idea makes my back hurt. It also leads me to think of several unsuitable jokes. Nevermind, I’ll spend my time trying to pronounce this thing.

28. Heck with his feet, those knees are HUGE.

29. Don’t worry. ICD-10 should have a code for it. It’s going to have codes for everything else……

30. Argyle Donkeypants says:

“I keeps lookin’ and lookin’, but all I see down there is…well…down.”

Don’t worry little fuzzuzzle. Someday you’re going to grow up big and tall and have legs that look like yellow rebar, just like momma.

31. tracylee says:

they DO look like rebar. I’d been trying to place it all morning!

32. I read somewhere on the interwebs that they DO as chicks, and it gradually disappears.

33. Hm, I thought the chick WAS the yolk… and then they eat the white and when it’s done they come out. THAT’S WHAT MY DADDY TOLD ME!

34. Martha in Washington says:

Be sure to eat all of your shrimps so you can grow up to be nice and peenk!

35. victoreia says:

Oh, good! You saved me a trip to Wikipedia! Thanks!

36. MoonCatty says:

Bebbeh Dinosaur!

37. Desdemona says:

Yes! Those who have stars on thars!

38. Martha in Washington says:

My pleasure!

39. Indeed, birdies do have bellybuttons, check out this three-day-old magpie: http://img27.imageshack.us/i/raasu.jpg/