And Now, A Bedtime Story

Edgar Lickspittle, it must be said, was not an appealing man. His was the loneliest, gloomiest cubicle in the Shipping department, and the elegant, waif-like secretaries from upstairs always suppressed a cringe when circumstances forced them to visit.

One day, in the depths of his despair, a small blue fairy appeared, perched atop his paper-clip dispenser. “Your sorrow grieves me so,” she whispered to him. “Tell me, how may I relieve you of this torment?”

Edgar looked deep into his heart. “I’m not handsome or witty or stylish, it’s true,” he replied, “but if a beautiful woman would see me and smile — really smile, as if she were glowing from within — that would be all a wretch such as I could ask.”

“And so they shall,” declared the fairy, and with a wave of her hand…

Jackson C. says: “I live in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia with my 1-year old dog, Gobi. We’re both from the States but we live and work here for the moment. I just had a small party to celebrate Gobi’s first birthday and I snapped this photo of him wearing his Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater and Burberry tie.”

Comments

1. Mary (the first) says:

I am not waif like but I smiled, nay, LOL at this handsome guy! SMOOCH for him!

2. Oh sugah, I would smile everytime I see your face.

3. kibblenibble says:

He looks like he is embawassed by his sweateauw. Happy Birfday, Gobi! Don’t be embarrassed. You look handsome! :-)

4. tracylee says:

what a story, NTMTOM!

and, little Gobi, I smiled bigtime. big time, indeed!

5. Lorel J says:

I ask of you: Who could not smile wholeheartedly at Gobi, sweateauw or no?

6. puddlepeppers says:

The most distinguished doggie I ever saw. Birfday charmer!

7. (The Original) Mel says:

Looks like a case of the Workingmans Browns.

8. puddlepeppers says:

Speak now or forever…

9. The cuffs. THE CUFFS! too much!! awww.

10. Trabb's Boy says:

Awww, he’s adorable!

And thanks, NTMTOM, you make my day!

11. Trabb's Boy says:

Awww, he’s adorable!

And thanks for the compliment, NTMTOM, you make my day!

12. Trabb's Boy says:

So much for catching a comment before it goes through.

13. S.J. Hartsfield says:

Aw, NTMTOM, you sly dog.

Aw, Gobi, you sly dog.

14. You guys have been knocking the funny out of the park lately! CO verging on resplendent!

15. Awww! I bet all those secretaries stop by Gobi’s cubicle and give him kisses now!

16. Princess of Insolence says:

You, NOMTOM sir, are a silver-tongued devil. I and several lovely lady friends have smiled all over Gobi. Happy birthday, gorgeous!

17. This sounds like something from Masterpiece Theater. Wedged between Larks to Candleford and Old Dogs.

18. warriortwo says:

HE’S WEARING BURBERRY! Squee!

19. Gigi (the original one) says:

I can’t help it, I started smiling wile reading NOMTOM story. Smiled even bigger seeing the picture and kept smiling reading the comments.
    And I’m STILL smiling!! :-)

20. Aw, Happy Birthday Gobi! Bravo NTMTOM!!

21. That is the MOST precious of Gobi’s I have ever seen. It was like he was styled at a gentlemen’s shop for that whole outfit.

Mongolia, really?

22. Oh, and the perfectly place highlights complete the image. I didn’t know Ken Paves made house calls. To Mongolia. (really?)

23. Would Edgar accept smoochies, too?

24. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I’m moving to Mongolia if that’s what the dogs wear….

25. Love that comment, Cambridge Rat Mom.

26. Totally. Awesome. Scrolldown.

I started smiling as soon as I saw Not Mike (or whatever his name is) was off on one of his fabulous epics.

And I LOL’d when I scrolled down and saw sweet lil Gobi. He looks so…sheepish.

27. The perfectly-sized tie, the oh-so-casually tousled hair, the slightly sheepish look in his eyes, yes have it going on Gobi. I smiled.

28. Formica says:

He may be distinguished in his designer duds, but I can still BOOP the birfday boy’s moist leetle nosicle!

29. Mary #2 says:

Ohhhhhhh so cute!

30. PS: BEEP!

31. lesterlyn says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww :-) !!!

32. LyndaLu says:

Awwwwwwww!! Painfully cute! I need to squeeze him and encourage his little heart.

Do they have computers in Mongolia? Outer Mongolia? Whoa. I spent a couple of years in rural Africa but that was a walk in the park compared to Mongolia. Hope you and Gobi aren’t cold out there in the Gobi. (What a cute name!)

33. I’ve been to Mongolia and I never saw a stylin’ dog like Gobi, certainly not like the poor, mangy pups I saw wandering the streets of Ulaanbaatar. And since Gobi’s in Mongolia he should be able to stock up on lots more gorgeous cashmere sweaters !

34. meoowmom says:

oh birfday boy you get a million X’s & O’s from me. you leelte sweetie
    oh and stylin too! I would hug you and squishy you and then eats u all up!
    nom nom…..

35. Happy day, Gobi! I send you smiles AND kisses.

36. Tegro Teppy says:

“You’re fired!”

37. WOW Mongolia ! I have got to go to Google maps & see where Ulaanbaatar is !
    Man I love the internet !

38. Martha in Washington says:

Come here, sweet Gobi. I shall kees you.

NTMTOM–When are we running away together? My suitcase is all packed.

39. The pup is adorable! But did the guy have to mention how much money he wasted on his dog’s clothing?? Those Ralph Lauren doggie sweaters are $100, and I can only imagine how much the Burberry tie is! Either this guy has too much money for his own good or he has nothing else to spend his money on in Mongolia :-P

40. He is a thinker ….

41. bookmonstercats says:

Probably the latter, Julie, although from a comment above, I imagine they cost a lot less in Mongolia. It’s only in the West that we pay stupid amounts of money for labels (albeit I have a classic Burberry raincoat and cashmere scarf, now both v battered but much loved and worth every penny). But I suspect no matter how interpid a traveller one is (and I’m not), it must be lonely in a culture so different to ours and a spending a leetle lovin’ on one’s companion pup doesn’t go amiss occasionally.

42. bookmonstercats says:

… and a lover…… if the fairy granted his wish….

43. TrixandSam says:

This is the first post I read this morning. It is perfection. My Sunday is complete.

*skips off to look for cute pups to snorgle*

44. Queen of Dork says:

Skippity-poo! Skippity-poo, Skippity-poo!
    *skips off happily on the dusty trail with TrixandSam* Yay! (skippity-poo.) (with a hula hoop, a yo-yo, and an etch-a-sketch and a slinky. And a pogo stick). :)

Oh. And with Raggedy Ann and Andy. *whistles tunelessly and happily*

45. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!!! says:

*reads QoD’s entry*

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

*smiles happily for QoD*, like thees: :)

46. Mary (the first) says:

LOL that’s exactly what I did also, googled to see where Gobi lives! It actually looks like a reasonable place! And as someone said, if that’s what the dogs wear, I’m movin’!

47. Mary (the first) says:

Get in line, Martha. GET IN LINE!

48. Mary (the first) says:

I was hoping for a Good Morning story but maybe Edgar is hung over from the birfday party .. ?

49. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!!! says:

“resplendent” = my personal Favorite
    Vocabulareh Word Which Isn’t Being Used Often Enough, for this weekend.
    You WIN, Ms. Noble!!!

*”and the Crowd Goes WILD [crowd applause noise, off
    somewhere, in the distance]”

50. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!!! says:

hey, Martha, DUCK!!!
    Some jealous female just threw a rotten tomato, at your head!!!

51. Get in line BEHIND me!!

NTMTOM, we MUST clone you!! You have a GIFT!! (or is it a curse?)

I started smirking when I read the post title! I scared the cats by laughing when I saw the dog. Oh, little Gobi, you would also look great in bright blue!!

52. I <3 you, NTMTOM!

53. (and how does Edgar use his paper clips now, blue fairy?)

54. Please give sweet little Gobi a pat on the head for me and tell him I said happy birthday.

55. Hon Glad says:

I’ll pass on the tie, but I wouldn’t mind the sweater (Large size).

56. wannadance says:

HEY!!!

57. wannadance says:

hey, mike, don’t wanna nag, but am gonna:

antecedents

antecedants?

antecedancer?

coffeewannadance

i love you..

58. wannadance says:

better battered

59. wannadance says:

that is EXACTLY how i want my hair cut, but no one understands…

60. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Can we see the Blue Fairy now, Mr. NTMTOM????

61. Seriously, NTMTOM, do you have anything published? ‘Cause I want to own it, read it and start a I Like Mike book club.

62. Kallisto says:

I loved the NOMTOM story, and I love Gobi. He is really sweet looking. Happy Birthday, little one.
    Oh, and yes, this lovely lady (Kallisto being Greek for “the most beautiful”, but it’s just a name) did smile at you. And she’s smiling still.

63. In all seriousness, do you know how much money the CW network spends each year for that kind of sexy ‘hair over my eyes’ look? Heck, I think even the BBC spends a big chunk of their budget to get Aidan Turner’s hair like that.

64. Ben Bradley says:

When all else fails, dress up!

65. sabrina rose says:

Kudos to NTMTOM for penning the perfect caption to a perfect photograph. I bet this picture will be seen around the world. Jackson perfectly captured Gobi’s sweet and wistful expression. How lucky they are to have each other. I would accept Edgar Lickspittle as my beau any day – a natty dresser, AND a poetic heart!

66. Too cute – can we get a pic with his ears up too?

67. OMFG, tiny little business casual sweatère.

68. Deere Gobi:
    I, too, work in a dreary cubicle. But if WE worked in the same dept., with your stylin’ and my wit, we’d go faaaaaaahh.

69. OMG! This looks just like my dog Hurley! She would KILL me for putting her in a sweater, but this is adorable! LOL!!