C.O. Tortoise Safety Tip!

When walking your tortoise, always use a sturdy leash and grip with both hands. Those little guys can really sprint when they hit the open road.

So that was you we saw being dragged down Maple Street, Molly P.

Comments

1. That tortoise is STRUTTIN’. He knows just how pimpin’ that rhinestone collar is. Mmmhmm.

2. this is cute…

3. Personally I would have gone with a harness instead of a collar.
    There’s more room for more rhinestones !

4. (The Original) Mel says:

I’m bad. I’m nationwide.

5. She got diamonds on the soles of her…erm…shell
    Well that’s one way to lose these
    Walking blues

~with apologies to Paul Simon

6. He’s got tiger blood, Adonis DNA, and a nice shell. :mrgreen:

7. warriortwo says:

Tortoises really can move fast. I learned this when I volunteered at the zoo and decided to take two of them for a walk instead of the usual one. I did a lot of running and chasing.

8. what ? No eye of the tiger ? (snerk)
    I will not post that link …. I will not post that link….

9. Mary (the first) says:

I also think a harness would give more room for “bling” and maybe work a little better. It looks like that one might be dragging under his/her tummy. (Do tortoises have tummies?) Other than that, I love this! What a proud little tortoise!

10. The hell I won’t ! (apologies to John Wayne)

11. He’s winning.

12. Why did the turtle cross the road? To get to the chicken on the other side.

13. :-D

14. Hon Glad says:

I tort I taw a tortoise
    a creepin’ up on me
    I did! I taw a tortoise
    as plain as he could be

15. 260Oakley says:

I thought his shell had a nice sheen. Must use Turtle Wax.

16. bookmonstercats says:

I used to keep tortoises, back in the day when they could still be imported into the UK, and they had an AWESOME turn of speed and cornering ability. Running shoes (OK plimsolls then) at the ready.

17. Gigi (the original one) says:

::snerk::

18. Gigi (the original one) says:

Don’t worry tortoise’s shells extend to their tummy so the only thing that might get damaged by the collar dragging under her/him is the collar itself :-)

19. ElishaB. says:

O….M….G……this is the best thing I have EVER seen!!!!

20. JustanotherHeather says:

Now I want to find a tortoise and make them a Bedazzled coat to wear. Yes, Disco Tortoise coat will happen one day.

21. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

22. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Uber-Coolness.
    And [for now] that’s all I have to say, about THAT!!!

23. kibblenibble says:

My friend had a tortoise named Guy Lombardo (aka Little Guy) who loved music and would run very quickly across the room to be near the stereo speakers when music was on. He would then try to climb up the speaker…at least we think he liked music.
    :-/

24. I would love to see that as a teeny bumper sticker on his shell, or maybe on his lead.

25. The real reason the tortoise won the race… they run super FAST!!!!!

26. When I was younger, I really wanted a dog, but couldn’t have one b/c of allergies in the family. Instead, I got a red-eared slider (water turtle), and I used to put a leash around her collar & walk her! It’s been a long standing joke in the family…can’t wait to email this to everyone!!

27. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

“sheen” ???? wow, that one slid right over my head, the first time, 260!!! Verr’ nice!!!

28. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

How schweet is THAT????

29. I had no idea that tortoises could move that quickly. I learn something new every day here, it seems…

I love this photo, especially the proud head in the air that others have pointed out. Tortoise knows that she’s got it going on! (I’m assuming it’s a female, given the flowers attached to the leash…)

30. katkatkat says:

Box turtle not tortoise, btw. A beautiful and glamorous box turtle.

31. Not so different than walking a 3-year-old child on a least; in fact, the child is probably SLOWER! LESS COOPERATIVE! LOUDER!

32. My family has a desert tortoise who is 85 years old. I will show this to my 91 year old parents who still have “custody” of him. Don’t think we’ve ever considered this! :-)

“The Turtle” as we have always called him is even in my parents’ will. He comes to me because my yard is better suited. And he really can go fast! Ask anyone in the neighborhood who has found him on the few occasions he’s gotten out of the yard. He’s locally quite the celebrity.

33. i met a woman with a really old tortoise like yours. she had to have a special permit, even though he was the one who started crashing at her house.

34. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

dees ees zzzooo koool !!!! :)

35. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

(tried to direct to skycool item)

36. Mary (the first) says:

Well, yeah, I knew that so I wasn’t worried about the tummy, just that the collar would be scratched. If I thought the torty was being hurt I would have been more .. er .. assertive! :D

37. Mary (the first) says:

Ok, so I had a bad dream last night and the finale included a schoolchild leading a baby moose, on a leash, (moose was) wearing a pink ruffly sundress (a la pups a few days ago) and a bonnet. Child was dragging the baby moose by the leash. I just know my subconscious had this tortoise in mind. (Not accusing owners of dragging the tortoise!) I wonder why my bad dreams are including CO stuff. :(

38. The Dutchess of Cupcake says:

This might be the best thing I’ve ever seen. And, loving the terribly witty comments! Most CO fans are a smart and funny bunch, I’ve found.

39. I bet when they go for a long walk, it really is a long walk. time wise, just to go one block it could take a hour, but walking the turtle could take all day!

40. leaves of cat grass says:

i like turtles…

41. ZombieKim says:

Does this remind anyone else of Fabio walking his turtle on “Top Chef” and saying, “She’s a princess”? :)

42. victoreia says:

Okay, just what did you have for dinner, Mary (the first)? ‘Cuz that sounds like one weird dream!

43. The permit is free from the Dept. of Fish and Game. I think it’s to help protect California desert tortoises who are still an endangered species. Our family’s tortoise came to us from a neighbor moving back east — oh, about 40 years ago. She had “The Turtle” since she was a child, before desert tortoises became endangered. He really is something of a family heirloom! ;-)

Good for your friend with an elderly tortoise and keeping it!

Ours may only live another 15 years or so, but we all really love him. He has a great personality! And the neighbors’ children love to come visit him.

44. Thanks! My family has always thought our tortoise was pretty cool, too. Neighbors and their children adore him, as well. :-)

This pic is very similar to what our “Turtle” looks like. I have always said his face looks amazingly like E.T. from the Spielberg movie:

45. bob drummond says:

Did you say TURTLE WAX?
    yeah,man! The only way to go if you want
    that shell to shine.
    ha,ha ,haaaa!

46. bob drummond says:

Very good poetry HON GLAD. I love it!

47. bob drummond says:

THANK YOU FORREST GUMP!

48. bob drummond says:

That tortoise had veeeery good taste!

49. bob drummond says:

I’d love to see that program if I can get it,what channel isTOP CHEF on?

50. How large has Turtle gotten in its 85 years?