Polydactylicious!

Thumbs Up…and thumbs down!

Via DListed, natch.

Comments

1. WE’RE ALL SCREWED! :D

2. love the name Jimmy!

love sleek shiny black panther kittehs too.

3. Eevvvolllluuuuutttioooonnnn

4. Stop licking yourself and we’ll be talking evolution. Then maybe we can see about making fire.

5. I, for one, welcome our feline overlords.

I just didn’t expect opposable thumbs in my lifetime.

6. The Empurror gives you a thumbs-down. Game over, gladiator.

7. pretty eyes!!!! and i love how jimmy refuses to do it the second time and scurries away.

8. Cat Skyfire says:

Basement cat has Thumbs. Uh oh…

9. Mary (the first) says:

Jimmy’s gorgeous! I used to have an all-black cat with green eyes too. :: sigh :: I miss him.

10. What do you call an evolutionary development that is not exactly “dead end” but useless nonetheless, as cats are our overlords already?

11. I’m showing this to my Roman History students next week. They’ll go nuts!

12. Ahahaha! Loved Jimmy’s thumbs-up!

I have a black cat. Bootini, with green eyes too.

13. Are you guys reading “I, Clawdius”?

14. We lost our little Guinney Bear, who was all-black with beautiful green eyes too, just 2-weeks ago…I know just how you feel. She was such a sweet love bug…

15. Sorry you lost your little one so recently.

16. They’re really not new though are they? Otherwise I wouldn’t be sleeping in 1/4 of my queen sized bed while my two cats split the rest.

17. Lol. Adorably weird.

18. Black kitties are wonderful! But Jimmy needs a manicure or those claws are going to really destroy a few things…

19. I’m so sorry.

20. Entropy's Bitch says:

I wonder if Jimmy lives with Alaska? The voice of the human sounds the same!

21. Next step – operating the can opener!

22. dottiebj, I’m so sorry for your loss. Black kitties are special, so beautiful and good natured. I hope you can smile when you think of her in the days to come.

23. That cat isn’t polydactyl. He’s got 5 toes… exactly as many as he should.

24. Yep! They already owned the world, but with opposable thumbs????? We’re doomed.

25. Well, I see the comments that I was going to make have already been covered, lol…

26. junkshop_coyote says:

I for one consider losing the ability to lick oneself a backwards evolutionary step…. ;)

27. It’s the Fonzi cat!

28. Ah, I used to have a black cat named Budini!

29. I have a polydactyl kitty…7 toes (well, like six full toes and one weird half toe with a claw in it) on each of his front feets, including “thumbs” But he does not give me a single thumbs up like that. Which is probably good because I think it would freak me out if he did that….

30. Gigi (the original one) says:

“Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant”

31. ShortShoes says:

I forgot how distracting Cookie Monster’s eyes are.

32. The accent makes the clip so much better, doesn’t it!

33. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Kar: you describe these sleeping arrangements,
    as though there were something remarkable about being allowed 1/4 of the bed. Rather generous of ‘em, I’d say. You should have read Queen of Dork’s Ownership Contract from [evil chuckle here] the late, great Samkitty …..

34. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

and no need for the leather jacket!!! He’s got black fur!!!

35. Impressive kitteh!

36. baby birdie says:

I once met a kitten with extra toes like this one.

37. what a gorgeous, happy kitteh. :)

38. yes because the Bloggess will collect them and train them for he own demented whims… unless she forgets

and yes here http://thebloggess.com/2010/12/im-looking-for-a-cat-named-bob-barker/ is the Bloggess’s wonderful post about her own Poly kitty

39. BatBlaster says:

I was going to submit this after seeing it on the news this morning, actually. But nthe legal stuff made my brainshurt

40. @wuyizidi: “spandrel” was the term Stephen Gould used.

(The question of ‘useless’ features evolving is a subject that starts catfights between biologists of different persuasions.)

41. Polydactyl or not, kitteh toe stretchies are awesome.

42. Well look who’s evolving!
    I, for one, welcome our new feline overlords….

43. True, it’s their world and we’re their servants.

44. What a pretty kitty! Looks like a little cat named Lori that I had when I was growing up.

45. I agree. Jimmy’s not polydactyl. He doesn’t have two dewclaws on the same paw.

46. I used to foster for PAWS & my first cat had a thumb. His name was Vince. He was independant & cool. But at moments he would crawl on my neck and into my arms like a baby. It made me cry cuz I knew that’s what he did with his daddy. And I’m sure he didn’t want to really do it with a stand-in. His daddy loved him so much.

47. Whaddya mean NEW?!? ;-)

48. HRHQueenCat says:

my friend in New Zealand has flown to Christchurch with her pure black poly kit to counsel people after the recent earthquake; Tyson has HUGE thumbs & can open windows, doors and large packets of dried catfood;

here he is – the 2nd pic is Tyson in his therapy “uniform”

49. And the word “cheeky” is one reason Brits are so much smarter than us. We have no word that aptly describes Alaska’s attitude.

50. God bless little Tyson and all of his digits.

51. I wanna see an SNL skit called ‘Hitchhikin’ Kitteh’. Remember Toonces?!! OMG I LOVED that!
    Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkL9LpvKl0

52. What a *beautiful* boy! :)

53. janet2buns says:

In the bad old days, someone I knew had her polydactyl kitteh’s thumbs amputated. I used to think it was cruel. Now I see that it was a futile attempt to foil the kittehs’ world domination plot.

54. Ditto!

I love that Jimmy apparently lives in England. Perhaps he’ll be giving “thumbs up” on the day of the royal wedding.

55. I’m so sorry for your loss. Your little girl will always live in the hearts of those who loved her.

56. Can someone PLEASE make a JPEG of 0:14!

57. Vicki-

Ask and ye shall receive. I’ll make a thumbs down one too. This cat is going to take the internets by storm!

58. Queen of Dork says:

Oh my goodness, he’s such a gorgeous cat!!! With the use of his thumbs, I wonder if he himself submitted that video?

59. Just last night I recorded my Siamese Jasper as I came home from work, boy he’s noisy as I come in the door. We have long conversations ;-)

60. Ah, thank you. good to know. Yes, I need to be more careful around terms like that. Somewhat related: saw Marcelo Gleiser speak recently, and he made this interesting point: we have a natural tendency to seek and celebrate perfection, and reject their opposites. This includes when we look for answers to the big questions in life. But without asymmetry, ‘imperfection’, ‘flaws’, ‘mistakes’, mutations…, life on earth as we know it would most likely not be possible.

61. I love the way his ‘arm’ comes up before he does the thumbs down, all stiff-like; it’s almost he’s not the one doing it. Keyboard cat style! Or monster arm! LOL

62. kibblenibble says:

Jimmy is stunningly handsome. I think the reason he leaves after the first “thumbs up” is that he doesn’t like being laughed at. (What cat does?) But he is obvy a content and well-loved kitty.

63. Fleurdamour says:

Even Kitties Get the Blues

64. All he needs is a jukebox!

65. Cat Lady of Parkdale says:

What a beautiful full-fingered kitty who can see the negative and the positive in life!!!

I love polydactylic kits.

66. Move over Roger Ebert! We got ourselves a new movie reviewer! :D

67. :cry: I am so sorry about your loss, dottiebj :cry: BIG CYBER HUG

68. AWW :D What a sweetie Tyson is :D Please send my wishes for a safe time for your friend and her kitty, HRHQueenCat :D

69. Oh, I would just love to give that Jimmy lots and lots of snorgling to add to the snorgling he gets from his loving owner :D

70. The Little Myrmidon says:

If men could lick themselves the way dogs do, there’d be no civilization as we know it.

Beautiful cat – love the green eyes.

71. The Little Myrmidon says:

I have a black cat named Midnight, but she has yellow eyes. I like the green eyes too. Very handsome cat. My Siamese cat, Kahlua, has thumbies, but doesn’t seem to know what to do with them (he’s beautiful, but dumber than a doorknob.)

72. Queen of Dork says:

Oh my gosh! I never thought of it that way Mymidon! But I think you are correct. Nothing would ever get done. The guys would be too busy. I guess women and cats would have to take the wheel. Hmmmmmm. How can we make this happen? Bacon flavored lotion on….Oh crap. never mind. I probably should not go there.

Putting on Dunce Hat and sulking off into The Mod Lounge. (while pounting daintily).

73. Queen of Dork says:

I meant “pouting” not pounting. (I don’t think “pounting” is humanly possible. I don’t think we’re flexible enough. Cat’s can maybe do that). Please and thanks excuse that typo/brain misfunction. :)

74. O No He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

*Muttley-type wheezing snicker*

75. My cat kind of half-streches that way sometimes. He lifts his front paw up all stiff like and stares all cunfused-drunk-looking at me whit one eye almost shut. Kind of like he says “give me 4 more minutes ok?”.
    He does that when he considers to roll over and when he considers to make a full stretch and wake up ^^
    So cute :p

76. HRHQueenCat says:

thank mew NT Mel & Teresa; I haven’t heard any more from Tyson & his Mum – I’m assuming they’re ok;

the helpers in Christchurch are selfless Angels: here’s a diary entry from one of the families who were affected by the earthquake:
    this family has 9 German Shepherds & one KittyKat !!!

77. Thank you!!

78. It’s, “Ave, Caesar, nos morituri te salutamos.”

Quizkid