Nanook of the Vegetable Garden

Across the carpeted plains of the Arctic there roams a breed known to the Inuit peoples as kuauneq inuk, or “the carrot hunter.” Traveling in packs of four to eight, these dogs have highly evolved scent receptors, specially adapted so that they can catch even the faintest whiff of beta carotene.

This is Juneau, six week old Siberian Husky, shot by Holly and sent in by Daniel M.

Comments

1. Puppy is lunching on salad because he was getting a little husky.

2. Juneau is the perfect name for this little one. How cute!

3. I don’t recall this in the Robert Flaherty documentary :)

4. Infamy, infamy, the mod machines got it in for me.

5. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

“simple pleasures” :)

6. It’s interesting to mention this sweet pup’s name, as I already have a Juno (miss big-ears in the picture) and I really, truly, must have a Juneau to add to my collection. It’s a matter of completing the pair, you see. So, um.. that being said…
    gimme!
    gimme!

7. and then there’s the asparagus pinscher, who really needs no introduction.

trust me.

8. From the size of that paw looks like the doggeh is going to be about 7 ft tall and weigh about 325 lbs when he’s full grown.

9. Yes, I believe the beast is im-moderately hungry today. Got me too.

10. He is GORGEOUS!

11. Those eyes! That paw! That one floppy-over ear! wanna play with him!

12. GOR-geous blue eyes!!

Hey, has anybody seen skippymom this week?

13. Its Bolt!

14. (The Original) Mel says:

My mom has a Siberian. He’s very quiet, but will occasionally say, “woo.”

15. HA! Our frenchie LOVES that carrot toy. He’s already gone through 2 of them (we really need to get him another).

16. Sled-dog woo-woo! I love it so much. I am crazy about sled dogs, they are such funny creatures. I am surprised your mom’s dog only occasionally says “woo.” The huskies and Malamutes I know love to talk! The Malamute down the street from me sounds like she’s saying complete sentences. :D

17. I was all ready to hand it to NTMTOM for his word-ly prowess, how he must ROCK at Balderdash and blah, blah, blah and then…. I lost all power to think. PUUUUUUUPPPPPPP-EEEEEEEEEEEE! OMG *splode!!* :D

18. Marthava, Siberian huskies run around 50 pounds, 60 at the most, but they are very dense and muscular– you feel like you’ve been hit by a cannonball if one jumps on you. The extra-big paws are for traction on the snow.

19. That stuffed plush carrot is my dog’s favorite toy! We have to keep buying them everytime one “dies”.

20. Theresa – When were you sent to the Gulag :)

21. Emmberrann says:

Juneau, le pupster has le most be-blue-tiful eyez!

22. best example of doggie eyeliner I’ve seen ;)

23. We have a Malamute, and she thinks she’s still a lapdog!

Love Juneau’s big glacier-blue eyes.

24. Ah, yes, the famous Husky woo-woo’s. In our house we have the Biscuit Request, issued by our Malamute after she and the other dogs* come in from outside. The Biscuit Request goes something like, “Awoo-woo-woo-woo-woo,” sliding down in pitch and volume into something like a mutter.

*Dogs. We have three now. In addition to Whompa the Malamute and Rocky the Great Pyr, we now have Amy the Weimaraner. She’d been staying with us off and on, and her owners are getting ready to sell their house. In a fit of pique, she began peeing on the rugs whenever they got ready to show the house. So she came to live with us on a pretty-much permanent basis. She’s happier with us; she loves our dogs and acts like a silly puppy (she’s 10) because she gets lots of attention and playtime.

25. Perhaps it was David Attenborough?

26. We bought one of those stuffing-less toys, and our dogs love it! It gets a bit icky from slobber and has to be tossed in the washer from time to time, but it seems to be very durable.

27. Nobody mentioned the fabulous eyeliner? Trés chic!

28. Jeff Mason says:

He could melt metal with those baby blue eyes

29. Our neighbor’s dog “talks back” when they give him a command. I can just hear him saying, “Yeah, sit yourself down”, or “Look, I could outrun you blindfolded and with one paw tied behind my back, so quit asking me if I want to ‘go walkies’. Sheesh”.
    It cracks me up every time, and I have to turn my back so he won’t see me laughing. Apparently,it encourages him. :)

30. HEheheh!

31. :) I love stories like this – how flippin’ SMART animals are!

32. bookmonstercats says:

Huskies are very intelligent. I can’t have a dog, because we’re out all day, but two friends have one each. One is full grown and gets him up in the middle of the night by reaching up and switching the kitchen light on and off “and when you’re – you know – up and about you might as well feed me…”. The other one is a bitch puppy who is going to be HUGE and sits on my lap… or what’s left of it….

33. bookmonstercats says:

Aaargh. I am in the mod machine. Is it because I have used the correct term for a female dog?

*Sits down with a good book and bar of chocolate to wait in mod lounge*

34. Puppeh’s name should be Paul Newman.

I had the great fortune to meet the late Susan Butcher at an event and she brought one of her dogs. She kindly allowed us to pet him and you could feel the power beneath his fur. She was a great lady with incredible dogs.

35. Paperbuttons says:

What is it about snow dogs and carrots?

36. Gigi (the original one) says:

Puppy would be happy in Montréal today, we’re having snow. Lukily we’re only getting one centimeter instead of the 10 to 15 they predicted just eanough for to play in. Come join me Juneau! :-)

37. Mary (the first) says:

My concern is that the caption says that Holly shot Juneau. By camera, I hope!

38. I was thinking maybe another Robert W. Service poem, like NTMTOM renders so well. You know something like

“A bunch of the boys were whoopin’ it up
    In the Vegan Zen Saloon,
    The sprouts and tofu were making the rounds
    Garnished with cilantro and prune.
    Back of the bar, in a solo game
    Was Blue-eyed Boy Juneau..
    A sucking down the green chai tea
    And gnawing a carrot gateau. ”
    :mrgreen:

39. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

here ya go, BMC!!!

*hands you some fancy-schmancy electronic gadget, with which you can groove on some 70s Soul Music (Al Green, Earth/ Wind/ Fire and the O’Jays) while awaiting the pleasures of the Big Green Moderashun Machine*

Here’s the first song; “Backstabbers” by the O’Jays. Enjoy!!!

40. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

*shoot & con-sarned it!!!*

the two wepages don’t want to “play nicely”. If you click on the little square where it SAYS Youtube (bottom right)…it will lift itself out onto your screen as a separate internet search and should load the song by itself there.

Sorry for the extra “labor” involved; I tried!!!

41. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

y’know ye’re right? I hadn’t yet picked up on that. Good catch —
    Was not it, her cat Chloe, who was due to return to their vet this past Mon for stitches to be removed post-eye-surgery?

42. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

funny funny.

Sounds like ‘e or she is frum Bruklyn.
    [I'm REQUIRED to do this]. “Fuhgettaboudit”…… ;)

43. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

I think French Bulldogs are one of the Very Few Small Breeds of Dog that have street cred.

44. Virginia Wolf and Mrs. Howlloway

45. Yes, exactly. Hmmm… sending worried positive thoughts their way… if only I could remember where they live… out East somewhere?…

46. Theresa – that made me LOL!

47. Princess of Insolence says:

Bunnicula, in puppeh form.

48. My chiropractor’s dog *loves* (real) carrots – it’s what we bring him for a treat every time we go there

49. I had the pleasure of having conversation with our dear Siberian, Sierra, when she was with us. The neighbors probably thought I was nuts going “owowowow” in my best husky accent. Miss our girl dreadfully.

50. Once again, the spice MUST flow!

51. Wow, I knew broccoli was evil, but carrots!!! 8O

52. From this angle, that plush carrot looks amazingly devious.

53. Sounds like doggy heaven!

54. Uh oh. Puppy went all goth on us.

55. LOVE his eyes!!

56. (The Original) Mel says:

Crockett is not mouthy, but he says what he wants to say. He’s nearly 15, and is a bit of a crotchety old man. I would imagine that what he says is the equivalent of, “Git offa mah lawn…dam kids. Edith! Whar’s my dinner?”

57. We had a dachshund who loved her carrot toy so much and we couldn’t find a spare so we kept sewing it together, putting the stuffing back in, washing it…. She carried it up to her bed every night and brought it downstairs in the morning. I loved that dog. That dog loved her carrot.

58. Space Cowgirl says:

No, I don’t. What’s his name?

59. Here I am thinking all cute thoughts (awwwdidapuppywitaprettyeyes) and 260 just launches one out of the park.

60. Ohhhhhh, I want to live with YOU!!!

61. PS: NYANG NYANG NYANG!

62. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!! says:

ceejoe — also, it seems I remember Skippymom
    describing the other person in her neighborhood who wears multi-colored tails etc. & she mentioned somewhere suburban/ Massachussets.

63. bookmonstercats says:

Thanks, O NO. I am mainly an ageing (well, OK, aged) rock chick, but love all those 70s R&B and soul grooves. I saw EW&F live, supporting Santana, in the 70s. Add the Isley Brothers to the list and I’m in Groove Heaven.

64. Queen of Dork says:

I bet the cat with the thumbs from the other post applied this puppy’s eyeliner. Very lovely! :)

65. bookmonstercats says:

Found it!

66. Queen of Dork says:

Dang. Moderated already.

67. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

WOW EW & Fire AND Santana?

How did they get anybody, to LEAVE that concert hall?????

68. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

*Holds hands with QoD as we earnestly sing “If I Had a Hammer…”*

69. Oh, he is an absolute beauty. Those amazing blue eyes.

70. Queen of Dork says:

Or speaking of hammers (and nails), we could sing this gem, Leslie…

71. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

THAT is in my list of TOP THREE FAVE songs of ALL TIME, Steph!!!
    You are so precisely cool!!!!

72. Queen of Dork says:

C’mon Theresa! Please sing the broccoli song. Please? C’mon….

73. bookmonstercats says:

Fire hoses.. cattle prods… tasers, after we’d let the groups stop doing encores. They did one together, EW&F jamming with Santana. It was awesome, and then some more.

74. Both of my mutts have husky in them, and I know as pups they LOVED real carrots! We would give them baby carrots as treats and sometimes a full size one for snacks. My little girl liked to lay down and hold them straight upright between her paws so she could “NYANG NYANG NYANG” on it, something she still does with her biscuits ["KRONSCHE KRONSCHE KRONSCHE"]
    Ahhh the joy of pups!

75. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

ceejoe —
    IL’m glad to tell you that it looks as though/ I believe that skippymom turned up tonight/ Sat night here on CO,
    under one of the newest posts/ pictures here at CO. I just came “back” from browsing across several of them, and at the moment I cannot recall which. But look at the newest three or four pics/ comment streams. I told her that we were considering placing her on the Injured/ AWOL list and we were glad to know she’s ok. AND today is/ was her BIRTHDAY!!!!

Peace to all.
    except Bin Ladin and Khaddafi.

76. We’ve had to take that same carrot away from my mom’s Corgi pup because he LOVES to tear out all the fur and subsequently choke on it. Crazy puppy tears up all of his toys, but at least that is all he touches.

77. Blue eyes. Baby’s got blue eyes!

78. (The Original) Mel says:

Once I was with some other cops staking out a bad guy’s house. The dog in the back was snarling and growling. We raided our lunch sacks and fed the dog carrots. He seemed to like them. He hated us though.

79. Queen of Dork says:

How about this? I love the song (Gonna turn…. this mother… OUT) but what the heck is with the guy (I think) in the diapers? Oh well. Days gone by… :)

80. Marilyn says:

i see the devil in those eyes LOL. How cute!! watch out for the furballs!