And Now, a Public Service Announcement

Hello. I’d like to talk to you about a problem that affects tens of thousands of household animals worldwide. That problem is SPS — Serious Pet Syndrome.

SPS can strike anytime, robbing its victims of the ability to romp and/or scamper…

… left untreated, the helpless SPS sufferer can only stare pensively upwards.

But with your help, we can stop the glumness. When your local SPS volunteer calls, give generously — a head scratch, a chin tickle, a belly rub — whatever you can.

Comments

1. Cosmeoflower says:

Yes, I have donated a prosh hamster and a bebeh kitteh! Together we stand for those who can’t romp…

2. What is serious about this bebeh is his serious bulging fivehead!

3. Why does the first picture remind me of James Franco?

4. This is darling and I don’t even care for Chihuahuas as a whole. On an individual basis they aren’t so bad and they were bred and named after the Mexican state where my mom was born.

5. the bug man says:

My pup occasionally suffers from SPS. I find that a furbert* often helps.

*A furbert is a zerbert. But it involves fur.

6. Gigi (the original one) says:

I want to beep his shiny little nose! BEEP!

7. serious pup is serious.

let us all join together and hug our puppies and kitties until they are all no longer serious.

8. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!! says:

Of course, if your friend happens to be a Clydesdale [horse],
    the helpless SPS sufferer can only stare pensively DOWNward …. but the therapeutic response is the same.

9. SharonK1973 says:

Does the SPS also cause male pattern baldness???

10. Actually it’s CPB, chihuahua pattern baldness.

11. SharonK1973 says:

You’re right! LOL!!!!

12. Becky, Bubba's mum says:

Darling little puppy seems to have had his head scratched a bit too much. He’s getting a little bald! What a cute little appleheaded Chihuahua.

13. When your head is so awesome, it burns right though your hair.

14. hmmmm…. reminded me of Steve Buscemi!

15. Cutest and most giggle-inducing use of image alt-tags eva!!!

16. My schipperke has SPS since I had my son. He thinks another pet has usurped his place in the pack, he totally doesn’t understand that my son is not a goggie!

17. Yeah, but does your schipperke realize that he’s a googie?

18. I’m sorry. I may have giggled on this on for the wrong reason.
    Why so serious.
    Is there a cute or scary catagory?

R.I.P. Heath Ledger.

….And now back to your regularly scheduled cute…..

19. Mary (the first) says:

When will my SPS volunteer call?? I’m ready with a million skritches but they never call me! ::: sob :::

20. Oh my gosh.

Oodles of FUN-NEE! :D Dude, bravo you.

21. Is that balding patches or white fur?

Why does looking at these pictures make that wretched, depression-inducing song “All by myself” (Eric Carmen, mid-1970’s) pop into my head? Only by snorgling this pup-muffin will I recover from that vomitous ear-worm.

22. eternalcanadian says:

Aww, that is such a cute little puppeh! Chiahuahua, no doubt? And those eyes! That pout! Geez, there’s only so much we can take! :P

23. Bridget Jones? Is that you? :mrgreen:

24. Lascia chio pianga (Let me weep at my cruel fate) shakes paw at sky.

25. I really think the mod machine needs re-programming, put a bit’o’foreign in and it’s valves go spurtle.

26. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah, am I still in moderation?
    signed,
    Confused

27. (The Original) Mel says:

Um, yeah. Come back tomorrow and I will donate some milk bones.

28. (The Original) Mel says:

“He cries himself to sleep at night on his huuuge pillah.”

29. Andi in NC says:

What a way to greet to day – thanks for laugh! *gives sweet doggie a little ear scratch and belly rub*

30. Love the hovertext. Put me down for a generous donation of ear-skritches and belly-rubs.

31. OMG soooo adorable! I’ll volunteer for SPS! When do I start?!

32. I hereby volunteer to kiss that adorable, precious, incredibly round little headbone!

33. StormCat42 says:

I wish I HAD a Clydesdale friend!!! *imagining the wonderful clump clump clump sound of their hooves* siiiigh

34. Somber sweety seeking substantial snorgle.

35. hahaaa! Extra points for “So I Married an Axe Murderer” reference!

36. it’s the serious thinking going on in the cranium burning off the hair. there’s invisible sizzle waves radiating off his wee head.

37. Vomitous ear-worm. I like that. Thanks, I’ll have to remember to use that sometime.

38. Or this guy– if you dipped him in black ink:

39. ♫”Pinky and the Brain”♫♬

40. Big horses can indeed stare pensively upward, ONo. My big girl (Percheron) does it frequently. And SC42, she doesn’t know how to do clump clump clump. It’s more a thunderous rumble with gaps in the roar when bucking and kicking is occurring! :-)

41. Please correct the second rollover: “a time,” not “at time.”

42. Ha! Was this the comment the mod machine couldn’t Handel?

43. This post got so much better when I read it in Dennis Haysbert’s voice.

Am I the only one who saw that the URL is different from the post title?

44. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

YAY!!!
    I always thought Percherons were amazingk.
    One of the 89 Odd Factoids which has stuck in my mental Hard Drive from lots of reading about horses, in my “Yout’ “, is that Percheron foals are born black or very dark grey (or something along those lines), and eventually develop the light, dappled pattern.

45. It was Bach then.

46. For the most part that is true. There are two main colors for the breed, black and grey (who are black as babies). However, and here’s where I get lucky, there is a certain bloodline that occasionally will have a RED baby born. My big girl is from that line and she IS red. I have to figure out how to post a photo…… Not only of her, but of all the kids – two equine and three feline.

47. (The Original) Mel says:

Cat irritation is seriously funny.

48. Yea, until they pee on you…And yes, it happened to me :-(

49. What a pensive wee-goggie; he is too young and little to be so down……;
    It’s bad enuff that humans have problems with the “black dog” (depression);
    these teeney-tiny fur- bebbehs should not have to fight off the Big Sad……

(Wait, wut?? I just spotted one of my kitteh’s cat teasers lying around…. :roll:
    If that doesn’t cheer him up, I’ll just give it back to Toonces….. if he puts it in his mouth and does the Wackadoodle Crazy Run, that should surely (Shirley) get the liddol puppeh to laffing………!! :lol: :lol:

50. Is it just me, or is there something very “Donnie Darko” bunny about this dog? It’s kinda creepin’ me out…

51. My chi has the same bald spots. (Ears, armpits, tummy). My vet says it’s common.

Maybe it is CPB.

52. My dachshund-mix Duo must suffer from this. Everything is serious business to him. Heck, you poke him and he grumbles like he’s Clint Eastwood. Belly rubs are a matter of life and death. And I’m not sure how he managed it, but he has made frolicking around the backyard look like the most no-nonsense undertaking know to man.

However, this level of seriousness makes the non-serious moments he has absolutely hysterical.

53. goggie needs to go on a vision quest to the sacred city of the chihuahuas (c.f. Beverly Hills chihuahua 1)

54. Thankfully, our goggie rarely suffers from this serious condition. In fact, folks at the barn have nicknamed him “the happiest puppy on earth”.

55. this won’t happen in our household we, 2 dogs and 2 cats are always petted or rubbed or picked up and takin for a ride. we are not a serious crew round here in this house of love from our master, mommie, i mean.

56. Doggie is defamed. Someone took his stapler.

57. Combover failure induced SPS, methinks.

58. Whoa, is that dog a trichotillomaniac? I don’t know much about chihuahuas, are the bald spots normal?

59. Not cute. Kind of deformed looking. But then, I’m not a fan of Chihuahuas…they always look like they are thinking about biting the next hand that comes within reach.

60. something tells me they are.

61. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

that film really was fun!!!

62. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Es ist Wunderbar!!! :)

63. Hey! This is his owner here :) His name is Boo, and he’s a Chihuahua ^_^

64. Hey! Boo’s owner here :) Yes, very normal. He’s got a perfect and clean bill of health!
    He also does het many belleh rubs and scratchins. I guess he was feeling emo that day!

65. i had a black chihuahua who looked exactly like boo! his name was sneak. :) i like black chihuahuas.

66. Agreed. I’ve never met a chihuahua that didn’t have a deafeningly shrill and obnoxious bark (yap). Also, they like jump on you and pee. Such neurotic little things. I don’t know, I don’t think the descendants of wolves were designed to be so small. But to each there own I suppose!

67. chihuahuas don’t come from wolves! they come from mexico!