C.O. Photography Tips

Unless your name happens to be Ansel Adams, the craft of landscape photography can be a joyless and frustrating one. If one wishes to merely document an environment, then any approach will do; but to truly capture the majestic soul of a mountain, or the serene beauty of a field of wheat, greater care is required in the selection of equipment, location, and most paramount, composition.

To illustrate, let us consider the landscape below. At first glance, it seems disjointed, overly busy — hardly a sweeping vista worthy of our lens. But by moving the camera to one side, and changing the angle, we discover Will you get the heck out of the way?! Trying to teach a class here! Jeez, some people!

Comments

1. Fishie photobomb!

2. Keees meee!

3. Gigi (the original one) says:

Was that photo taken with a fisheye lens?

4. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please make it go away, I’m scared of fish!

5. I’m not sure what made me giggle harder- The picture or the caption. XD For some reason, and I think it could be because I’ve really gotten into Invader Zim recently, I read it in GIR’s voice.

6. Photobomb!

7. snerk!

8. Seamonster!

9. Queen of Dork says:

It would be cool if there was a chalk board behind him with some sort of scientific formula scrawled on it and if the fish were holding a pointer stick of some sort in his fin.

10. Hey Queenie! How’s Alberto?

11. Fishiebomb!

12. lesterlyn says:

Ha ha!

13. (The Original) Mel says:

*Barry White voice* “Well, Hello. Come here often? What’s your sign, baby? I’m a Pisces.”

14. There are the feesh leeps, of course. But the popeyes, the popeyes!

15. muttluver says:

………….I don’t think Gir’s that intelligent. Or did you mean the fish’s voice? In which case, Gir or Zim could definitely qualify.

16. muttluver says:

….huh?

17. PS, I actually visualize heem sweemeeng up to the glass, and singing “Ah Louie Louie! Ohhhhhh Baby! We gotta go!” :mrgreen:

18. Queen of Dork says:

Oh Theresa, Albert is so wonderful and so naughty at the same time! One minute, he’s so loving and cuddly and then the very next minute he’s doing something really awful such as jumping on kitchen counters when he knows he’s not supposed to, or launching himself at me when I walk by. And worse things. He blames it all on SamKitty, who apparently wrote a manual called, “How To Interact With Humans: A Cat’s Perspective.” SamKitty left this manual hidden somewhere and Albert has been reading it and picking up horrible habits from it. If I knew where it was, I would immediately take it away from Albert but I don’t know where it’s hidden.

19. Hmmm, sounds very cat-like! :D

20. Angelina Jolie!

21. Yeah, the fish voice. :D

22. What is Dat? He is sooo nice, I love Him!

23. Anne Boleyn says:

Teaching a class to a school of fish?

24. kibblenibble says:

Don’t insult the poor feeshie! :lol:

25. Oh cowfish! The cutest swimming bricks of the ocean!

26. What kind of fish is this? I need one to make me squee every day!!!

27. Exactly what I thought I when I saw this! Fish bomb!

28. are you by any chance a worm?

29. Ya Ya Ya Ya Ya Ya !

30. nononononononon says:

TEEWTALLY BLORP-you-larz!

31. baby birdie says:

The hovertext is hilarious! :P

32. This it at the National Aquarium in Baltimore – I have a picture almost identical to this one of the same fish; he/she seems to love the camera!

33. It is a cowfish :)

34. Great Blorp-i-tude . . . ya’ talks about your fish-eye lens.

35. I totally read the pop-up text in Dory’s voice.

36. And by ‘caption’, I mean ‘hovertext’. *fail*

37. This is Ned, Deb’s cousin. He’s looking for his brother Moe.
    ;-)

38. Ok, now I’m imagining him with Don Knots’ voice….kind of like The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

Ps: congratulations on Albert! Nothing like a new kitty to get to know& love! But if you do find that manual…pls. post an image of the cover…I need to find the copy my tux Gus has been reading & burn it. :-)

39. lol Sharpy

40. This fish is so cool!! Does it have a name? If I had a cowfish I’d shamlessly name it Moo. If I had another, I’d name it MooToo.

41. Lol, I swear I actually read ntmtom’s posts differently than the rest.. Most times I’ll skim the headline and intro and go straight to the pic, but with his I keep the picture hidden until I’ve read the whole intro.. Then the surprise of the pic makes me laugh that much harder.

I know, I’m a dork.. *hangs head in shame*

42. Mary (the first) says:

One of the few times I haven’t immediately wanted to smooch the critter in the photo.

43. Alice Shortcake says:

Well, fish have thousands of offspring, ya know!

44. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

In the [?immortal?] words of my sister:

“FISHIE-FACE!!!!” :)

45. bob drummond says:

some people( or life forms) don’t seem to mind Hogging the Camera when they feel like it with little regard for others.Some nerve!

46. sneeeeeeeeerk

47. WE ARE FISH BO-BOMB!

also, isn’t ‘swimmies’ a tag?

48. I have a picture of him, too!

I loved that little guy!

49. *snerk*

i think Fishwives of Beverly Hills.

50. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

51. How funny! At the New York Aquarium, there used to be an adorable walrus (now deceased :( ) who used to swim right up to the glass and check the people out.

52. PS: Blorp!

53. I vote for Zim :)

54. Thank you!

55. JustanotherHeather says:

That’s so cool that s/he seems to be a camera hog. I wonder if it just likes looking at people, or do you think it is attracted to the camera flash?

56. warrior rabbit says:

The hovertext is spot on, totally! What an expression this fish has! I loff eet.

57. Reminds me of my “BELOVED” headmaster in the early years of high school – Yes, one can look like that and be beautiful!

58. I love his googly eyes but I think he’s puckering up for a big wet kiss!

59. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Well if you are, then you’ll have to meet Queen of Dork someday. She sometimes does a shift on-duty here at CO in the ACute (Emergency) Intakes Dept in the evenings, when we need to triage the *ded* bodies felled by Qtness.

There are numerous among CO (myself included) who also very meticulously prefer to read a NTM storyline and allow the mind to develop a visual, and *THEN* scroll the photo down.

There is also a long line of prospective or would-be wenches waiting to propose marriage to NTM. However, much to the angst of all the fine lasses in line, with their wedding trousseaux …. there is evidently also already a Mrs. NTM …

60. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

Attention, attention:

I WANT A WALRUS.

That is all.

61. Frankly, I don’t know if it’s worth the heartbreak. :cry: Ayveq was an awesome walrus with a great personality, and everybody misses him. But he did have a certain peculiarity that made him famous here . . .

62. Peanut's mama says:

OMG THE BLORPITUDE IS JUST TOO MUCH FOR MY CO-WEAKENED HEART!!

*ded*

63. muttluver says:

I can just picture it– the Tallest doing the first voice narration, and then Zim cutting in.

64. The photos here are always fun, but I have to say the accompanying writings by “The Other Mike” on each posting are absolutely, wonderfully, ingeniously, and creatively entertaining.

There are so many other animal blogs out there that I also like, but I come here several times a day in gleeful anticipation of the next perfect post that make these photos so hysterically humanoid. If you don’t hear me laughing my dear Other Mike, please know that I thank you every day.

65. Awww she is wearing an itsy bitsy tinee weenie yellow polka dot bikini.

66. LOL! That is great! :) What a camera hog!

67. [sniff] The….there [sniff] is? Excuse me, I must [sob] get my mourning dress out….

68. StormCat42 says:

Awwww…What’s funny is how many folks in the comments at the bottom said that he would now have his bukkit!! LOL I love the animal loving community!! We’re a fun bunch!

69. StormCat42 says:

Me too…

70. sigh… still waiting for that NOMTOM coffee table book…
    /tap tap tap…/

71. AprilFoole99 says:

Mahna Mahna…… doot do do do do…….mahna mahna……..doot do do do…… mahna mahna….

72. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

*pats victoreia consolingly on one shoulder of her elegant mourning gown* and says to her:

“There, there, dear…..”

73. O NO He/ She/ It DI-unt!!! says:

@ Theresa re. enclosed article/ link:

ACK & also Eeeeeeeeeeek
    *(yanking my eyes outta their sockets now)*

(I STILL want A Walrus. Perhaps anudder Walrus won’t share Ayveq’s sef-nurturing tendencies …..)

74. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

75. This is indeed the friendliest at the Baltimore Aquarium and he does love the camera. He will follow it all around, puckering his lips up for a kiss.

76. you are totally right! that’s exactly where i took this picture! good call :)